UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 11-10-2014, 03:18 PM   #251
Mercutio
Banned

Idk I mean at this point I'm sort of looking for excuses to stop watching it because I've not really enjoyed Dr Who for years and I said I wasn't going to watch it this year (I have no self discipline so that didn't work out). Many people I know loved it and everyone I know with kids says that the kids loved it so it clearly has benefits. I think also my suspension of disbelief just won't stretch to such a fucking idiotic plot.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 03:57 PM   #252
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
Idk I mean at this point I'm sort of looking for excuses to stop watching it because I've not really enjoyed Dr Who for years and I said I wasn't going to watch it this year (I have no self discipline so that didn't work out). Many people I know loved it and everyone I know with kids says that the kids loved it so it clearly has benefits. I think also my suspension of disbelief just won't stretch to such a fucking idiotic plot.
Here you go. Skip to 1m25s to dive into criticisms. Suffice to say that it contains spoilers up through August 2014.

I think the two choicest bits are:

Quote:
You don't just ignore continuity: it's almost like you're allergic to it. You don't just have plot holes: you live in those holes! You love those holes! You try to convince everybody else how great those holes are! But here's the thing, Doctor Who: a wink and a nod to all of your flaws may be charming to some people, but it doesn't make your goddamn problems go away. It just means that now both of us have to be embarrassed about them.
Quote:
You assume that having all of the right ingredients is the same as making something great with them. And it's not, Doctor Who, it's just not.
Mind you, I never even got as far as you guys. I saw all of the first reboot season and maybe the first two to five episodes with David Tennant? Got bored. Put it down "for now." Never returned to it. Never really felt like returning to it. My attitude towards Doctor Who, as condescending as this may strike some of you, is that "it's pretty good for a UK television effort; but on the international level, it's B-television and it shows." There seems to be a lot of national pride attached to Doctor Who. Or perhaps rather than classifying it as national pride, I should instead classify it as the quality of shared experiences. Such things as Countdown, McVitie's digestives, and Doctor Who are quintessential parts of the growing-up-in-and/or-living-in-the-UK experience. I think there is sometimes a fierce need by British science fiction fans to defend Doctor Who as being on par with (if not full on superior to) American-made science fiction programs like Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, or Firefly. I can't speak for the latter two, but I would flatly reject the notion that Doctor Who can hold a candle to the best Star Trek series and would instead be quicker to group it with (imo fellow) popular B-sci-fi shows like The X-Files and Stargate: SG-1. It's the sort of show I'd settle on watching whilst channel surfing and nothing better's on, but is likewise the sort of show I'd preempt for almost anything I consider A-grade entertainment. It's ... putting it simply, it's not a very good show. At least not in my opinion, it isn't. I feel very similarly about it to how I felt about Andromeda or Stargate: SG-1 as a teenager. Something to watch out of sheer desperation but abandoned at the first sign of a better show.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 04:02 PM   #253
Mercutio
Banned

Yeah I saw that when Cracked originally posted it (although as a side note I actually have stopped visiting Cracked because I finally got tired of how terrible it was) and shared it around. The broad thrust of it I agreed with but there were one or two criticisms they made that were kind of silly. I mean it's a show about time travel so inherently it's going to have some plot holes and continuity issues. But there's that and then there's Rory.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:27 PM   #254
Talon87
時の彼方へ

For what it's worth, I don't read or view Cracked regularly myself. I just remember seeing this video several months ago in my YouTube Recommends feed, watching it, and finding satisfaction in it. That stated, I don't perceive a need to distance myself from Cracked either. As far as I know they're basically what you would get if CollegeHumor were to create a digital news magazine. They're just a bunch of young adults in their 20s and 30s who straddle the line between journalist and blogger, writing sensational opinion pieces meant to elicit some sort of reaction (usually laughs, disgust, or fascination) from their audience.

On topic, I do think it's important to disclaim that I generally try to avoid specific spoilers about "NewWho" since I think that maaaaaaaaaaybe some day I will go back and watch the classic Tennant episodes everyone always talks about that I have little idea about. ("Don't blink" and "Weeping Angel" mean about as much to me as "Red Wedding" [GoT] and "the hatch" [Lost] do.) So if people feel that Christopher Eccleston's Doctor's season was amongst the worst and that I am judging the show unfairly, then *shrug*, maybe I am. No way for me to know until I ever watch the later episodes.

But just from what I have generally seen or heard over the years, Doctor Who seems to be a rather conflicted series whose fans will lash out at you angrily and defensively if you ever criticize one of these contradictions:
  • it wants to be both silly and serious
  • it wants to establish a lore / it wants to universe build and at the same time it doesn't want to be chained down by anything that has come before or that may come after
  • it wants to be "science fiction" but is, aside from janitor-level understanding of ideas like time travel or nuclear physics doesn't really explore much of anything scientific
  • it wants to be as worldly as the Universe yet is obnoxiously UK-centric (e.g. nearly all of the Doctor's companions are 20th-century or 21st-century humans heralding from the UK)
  • it wants you to care about character deaths but treats death as flippantly as Marvel or DC do
All of these and more result in a show that will wear stripes one week and solids the next. Consistency is important. If you want to be X, then be X. If you want to be Y, then be Y. But don't keep bouncing between X and Y, A and B, M and N week after week after week. It's annoying. "In trying to please everybody, you satisfy nobody." Doctor Who isn't the only series with this problem, but it's probably the most popular science-fiction series currently on TV that has it.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:32 PM   #255
Mercutio
Banned

It's just gotten to the point where it patronises its fans. If I wanted to patronised I'd read my UPN posts from last week.
Old 09-17-2015, 06:20 AM   #256
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Ridiculously photogenic actress to quit Doctor Who

But seriously, I was looking for information about an upcoming British novel and landed on this page instead and Jesus Christ this photo does this actress well.
Old 10-10-2015, 03:13 PM   #257
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

new series is shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 05:31 AM   #258
Mercutio
Banned

Better than the last one!
Old 10-11-2015, 05:43 AM   #259
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

That doesn't count as an accomplishment.
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 10-11-2015, 06:10 AM   #260
Mercutio
Banned

So I thought E3 was great, but the slightly weak chase resolution with the hologram was a minor issue. E4 was fine and had some interesting bits in it but good god why would they use the same device again and make it all terrible.

Also fuck you Moffat for continuing to create epic potential companions and then stabbing them in the face.
Old 11-07-2015, 03:43 PM   #261
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

I will admit that Capaldi continues to act up a fucking storm, especially tonight. Delivered a couple of incredible speeches.
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 11-07-2015, 08:07 PM   #262
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Is this series worth watching? Capaldi was great last season but everything else was incredibly shit.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 04:00 AM   #263
Mercutio
Banned

It's better on balance but still not amazing. Instead of a clumsy abortion discussion episode we just had a clumsy terrorism/radicalisation two parter.
Old 11-08-2015, 02:49 PM   #264
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

I personally don't think so, but it does have its moments. Did people actually get as butthurt as I heard over the whole plane thing given the events in Egypt this week, or was that bullshit?
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 11-21-2015, 04:03 PM   #265
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

jesus christ it's so bad

Clara stuffed in the fridge for no reason, interrupting the boring plot that makes no sense

Doctor implied to learn nothing from the next episode preview

what is the fucking point
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 11-21-2015, 04:10 PM   #266
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

They killed her off? Was Moffet mad at Coleman leaving or something?
Old 11-22-2015, 04:21 PM   #267
Mercutio
Banned

Much like Spectre, that was pretty bland.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:03 PM   #268
Connor
Flashbacker

I am entirely unsure what to think of this series.

Some good bits. Mostly boring bits. Some which made me physically recoil from the TV.

I think I got off lightly marathoning the entire series at once too.
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 06:19 PM   #269
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

The fucking inability of the Doctor to let Clara make a decision for herself was insulting.
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 12-05-2015, 06:22 PM   #270
biggggg5
Volcano Badge

This is the first doctor ive watched that i havent liked. it can take a season for me to warm up to them but it isn't happening with 12

biggggg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 08:09 PM   #271
Connor
Flashbacker

Yeah I'm horribly torn with Capaldi's Doctor. On one hand, he's a great actor, he has nailed some performances and I do generally like the bloke for the most part. Even as Scottish as he is.

On the other hand the writers (fucking Moffat) seem intent on making him come across as this horribly controlling figure. Sure, they want to show off that sometimes the Doctor will say "fuck you, Universe" and do what he wants rather than what he should. They could do it in another manner though.

Obligatory fuck yeah Maisie though.
Old 12-05-2015, 10:41 PM   #272
biggggg5
Volcano Badge

I'm only starting this season but please tell be the sonic glasses don't stay a thing

biggggg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 05:04 AM   #273
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

The Doctor was Donna'd.

Last edited by PikaGod; 12-06-2015 at 05:10 AM.
PikaGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 07:54 AM   #274
Connor
Flashbacker

Sonic sunglasses were actually one of the highlights for me. Capaldi can actually pull off cool granddad.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:27 AM   #275
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

I'd watch the shit out of a Clara/Me spinoff I'm not going to lie.
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment