UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2008, 11:06 AM   #1
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Earthquake in Indy

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gxPv ... QD904B7E80

Well, it wasn't just our earthquake, but I don't know of any Illinois'ers (?) here and I doubt the Kentuckians or the Ohioans felt it as bad as we did in Indiana, so meh. :P ;)

I was awake already when it struck around 5:40am. My alarm had gone off (for the first time) at 5:30am and had just gone off for the second time at 5:40. I had hit Snooze on it and was ready to go back to sleep for ten more minutes when all of a sudden ... I heard ... wind chimes ...

In my bedroom, I have some wind chimes hanging from a lamp. I could hear them faintly: chingling, chingling, chingling. But progressively they got louder and louder. And my first thought was:
1) bizarre draft in the room caused by the heating?
2) poultergeist!

I opened my eyes and then my bed started to rumble. At this point, my next thought was:
3) damn neighbors downstairs, doing laundry at 6 in the morning!

This is because, in our building, sometimes the dryers (in each person's own apartment) go rumbly-rumble and it can be felt all through the building. And I have felt this numerous times in the past, this exact feeling of the rumbling up through my bed.

But then the building began to feel like it was swaying. Not by much, but by enough to make me feel like I was on a moving platform. And I realized then:
4) EARTHQUAKE! (notice the thrilled smilie instead of the worried panic smilie )

I got up out of bed after it finished like ~2 seconds later (all of the above was happening in like 1-2 seconds of brain thought) and went to the window. I could see a motorcyclist picking his bike up and getting back on it: clearly the earthquake had not only been real but had either (1) thrown him from his mount or (2) caused him to safely dismount and wait for the aftershock to pass.

Seeing this, I went back to bed -- and did not get up unfortunately until around 8:10am. :x
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 03:44 PM   #2
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Re: Earthquake in Indy

I like the twist at the end. :P

There was an earthquake around these parts (which was unusual, as we're not exactly near a fault line) two years ago while I was at school. I was in the DHC student office when the building, the desks/computers and the chairs started to sway slightly. Magnitude 3 I think? No one else seemed to notice except me, until I got home, where one neighbour testified there was an earthquake that hit town.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 10:54 AM   #3
deoxys
Fog Badge

Re: Earthquake in Indy

Yeah.. I slept right through it, but it apparently woke my dad and sister up. And just about everyone at school.

I'm kinda wondering how long until New Madrid decides to finally destroy everything...

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc