UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 09-06-2013, 11:39 AM   #151
deoxys
Fog Badge

In addition to a second season, Psycho Pass will also be getting a feature length film.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:27 AM   #152
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
From what I've heard it's a prequel, not a sequel. Which is better, yet worse.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 01:13 AM   #153
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

...what.

why.

I'm out of understanding. Or are we now getting Ogami's Book Club?

The original series kinda fell flat on its face toward the end as I recall, so I don't really have motivation to get hyped for a new season...or a movie. Christ, +90 minutes of P-P? In one sitting? They'd better write it damn well or it'll be renamed Disaster.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:26 AM   #154
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I saw that this was airing and I decided to watch the first seven minutes or so before posting here:

Psycho-Pass S2: So the second season is airing. I still have other things I will want to circle back around first and finish. (ILYA! Also Barakamon and quite a few others.) But Psycho-Pass S2 is at least something I want to give eight episodes of my time before I decide whether to drop it or not.

Why so negative? Because here's the thing: seven minutes in and I just can't take it seriously.

Spoiler: show
Three things are killing my ability to enjoy it:
  • that it's a forced sequel. It doesn't naturally pick up where the last series left off. Instead, we start off 1.5 years in the future. I don't mind timeskips, but in Psycho-Pass's case it just feels wrong to call this a sequel when what I'm watching seems to have absolutely no respect for the final five episodes of the previous season.
  • the knowledge that Gen didn't write it.
  • that I'm being asked to take seriously the idea of Akane as the veteran cop and the new girl as the Akane-esque rookie
That third bullet is how Season 1 ended -- and it's a perfectly fine way to end a series, which is what it originally was; but as a way to end a season, it just doesn't feel right. I can't take Serious Akane seriously, I miss Rookie Akane, etc.

Worse still ...

The second season opens with the premise that, 1.5 years later, Japan is still living in ignorant bliss under the SYBIL system. Really? To its credit, it also has the opening premise that right about now we have some free thinkers who are plotting terrorist acts against the government (i.e. against the SYBIL state), so it's not like we're being asked to watch an entire season where everyone save Akane and the Enforcers believe in SYBIL. But still. It's kind of tough to believe that, one and a half years later, Akane has neither killed herself, died in the line of duty, been killed off by SYBIl, been turned into a brain in a jar, OR fled the country. Like, she's done none of these things. 1.5 years later and she's still working for her brains-in-jars masters.

Thing is, nearly everything I have complained about is the sort of problem that can be solved within a couple of episodes. Or heck: even solved by the end of this episode. So I don't want to write off Psycho-Pass Season 2 just yet. I'm just saying: I have my concerns. :\

EDIT: The episode picks up in the end. I'll just say that this feels, so far, more like A than like B:
  • you had the Star Wars movie trilogy, and then you had all of those spinoff novels that were okay but (for the most part) not as good as the films. Also, they tell their own stories; they're not closely connected to the films.
  • you had LotR: the Fellowship of the Ring, and then you had LotR: the Two Towers. Total sequel, equal quality, etc.
The stories that this second season wants to explore seem neat so far ... but also seem to be an A-style sequel rather than a B-style sequel.

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 01-27-2015 at 10:51 PM.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:53 PM   #155
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Since I didn't want to watch any more new anime episodes today before I get caught up on a number of posts -- shows for which I am writing my typical posts, that is -- but since I also felt like watching something, I went ahead and watched the second episode of Funi's Psycho-Pass Season 2.

It wasn't too bad. It still feels like a fanfic sequel and one which only too conveniently ignores the major societal issues on whose note we left Season 1, but it's still an entertaining whodunit and it's interesting to meet some of the new characters.

(spoilers for S1; weak spoilers for S2)

I'd mentioned last time the new rookie Inspector. How she was an uptight, by-the-books type who kept butting heads with Akane. Well, new little character reveal this episode: she admires Yayoi to the point of blushing, so we have a fun little soft implication that this girl's Psycho-Pass could cloud up in the future if she goes full lesbian.

Then there's the replacement for Ginoza's dad's old slot (what with Ginoza filling Kougami's, in the sense that he's the one most often sidekicking it up with Akane). This new guy is, I believe, voiced by Leorio / KagePro Papa. It's interesting to hear his voice behind a character who I would never in a million years imagine having that voice. Arguable miscasting, sure, but I welcome the chance to hear Leorio's voice actor in such a role. Hopefully it will also help him to prevent being typecast as the Leorio character forever and ever. (Mekakucity Actors hopefully helped with that as well.)

I won't give away the answer, but there is a fun riddle surrounding the message "WC?"

Still can't tell if the villain is meant to be the new main villain or if he's just the head villain for this particular story arc. Actually, let me rephrase that: still can't tell whether the current story arc will end soon or whether it's going to be the entire season. The villain's debut in Episode 01 made me think New Makishima but the events of Episode 02 start to make me wonder if that's really what he's meant to be. We'll see.

So far, two episodes in, it's a lot less recommendable than Season 1 was. I'd only recommend it to fans of the original, and even then I wouldn't do so strongly. Hopefully that position will change for the better as I watch more episodes.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:12 PM   #156
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Double post. Episode 03.

The story improves in a general sense this episode but there are several acute insults imo to the memory of the original. It makes for mixed feelings.

Similar to Makishima, the new villain -- Kamui Kirito -- styles himself a savior. He wants to free people from the Sybil system and he aims to do it by making their Psycho-Passes always clear. But per his ends-justify-the-means philosophy, he's quite the horrifying villain: he surgically removes a lady Inspector's eye, mind breaks her through this and other horror, and brainwashes her into being one of his supporters.

That's actually one of the problems I have with the episode: Shisui is brainwashed far too easily. I realize it's a half-hour program and we don't have much time, but still: I can't buy that a woman would go from half-committally biting her mutilator's finger to gingerly holding it between her lips and gently asking him his name. If we're to even believe that this woman could ever fall for the man who ruined her life and ripped out one of her irreplaceable God-given body parts, it has to come after 30 days of conscious captivity, at least. I'm no authority on Stockholm syndrome but I'd think it'd have to take at least a month for a woman to start to want to help out her kidnapper. Not less than ten minutes.

Kougami's college professor returns. It's very nice to see him again, and I absolutely adore the fact that Akane turns to him in her times of need. But what I really hate about this cameo is its consequences for Season 1. In Season 1, we're introduced to a social sciences genius who fled civilization before Sybil could arrest him. He lives off the grid and does so as happily as one can in a totalitarian society. But what does Season 2 go and do? Whammo: it places him in the same corrective facility / prison that Yayoi wound up in. And it expositionally justifies this development by explaining that the professor was overcome with "guilt" upon learning about Kougami's actions at the end of Season 1 and that he voluntarily surrendered himself to Sybil as a result. ... What!? No! Why!?! It doesn't make any sense.
  1. I don't think the professor and Kougami were close enough for the professor to be wracked by that much guilt, even if Kougami were (say) a Makishima.
  2. And Kougami wasn't a Makishima. He was a hero. He operated outside the law, yes, but he was determined to bring his partner's killer to justice. And he didn't do anything heinous along the way.
  3. The professor fundamentally distrusted Sybil. Why even in his guilt would he just hand himself over to Sybil? Wouldn't he prefer either suicide or exile? Like, if he really felt that guilty, wouldn't he be more likely to do those things first?
  4. Or even try to bring Kougami to justice himself?
  5. Finally, why would Sybil let this guy continue to exist normally? Why wouldn't they have added his brain to their collective consciousness and told Akane that he fled the country or was killed?
It just doesn't make sense for him to appear like this. If Akane'd visited him at his house, it would've been fine. But visiting him in the penitentiary just tramples over so much of Season 1. :\

Ginoza flirts with Female Ginoza, an Inspector named Aoyanagi. Or rather, they flirt with each other? It's a cute scene, but one which speaks to Enforcer-Enforcer romance more loudly than Enforcer-Inspector romance. We'll have to see.

Akane's rookie sidekick Inspector is on the fast track to becoming an Enforcer, I swear to God. It's a miracle that anyone makes ten years in this position besides aberrants like Akane whose Psycho-Passes rarely cloud up.

On to Episode 04!
Old 01-27-2015, 07:45 PM   #157
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Triple post. Episode 04.

Welp, Inspector Aoyanagi died. So much for Ginoza's love interest.

This episode offered a little bit more character development for the rookie Inspector. We learned this episode that, despite all of the criticisms she's thrown Akane's and others' ways about not doing their jobs well, she's the sort of person to timidly not take the initiative when placed in a position of leadership. Specifically, she's the on-site superior officer for Division 1 in this episode and the Enforcers keep asking her for instructions but she keeps shooting down their proposals (which results in inaction) and then Division 3 shows up and informs her that they're taking over this case (which results in further Division 1 inaction). The Enforcers of Division 1 keep asking her for orders but she just tells them that there's nothing she can do. It's the sort of situation where Akane or (when he was an Inspector) Kougami would have definitely taken charge.

The episode was a guro fan's dream. Anyone who is fascinated by the Dominators' effect on their victims -- the whole fleshy explosion thing -- was treated this episode to a scene where an entire army of fleeing hostages swells into fleshy monstrosities and then explodes one person after another. It felt gratuitous to me, especially since I don't like the look of it, but it also thankfully felt like something that was done once just for titillation's sake and which won't likely be done again.

Episode 04 also introduces a new version of the Dominator. This one can fire through walls. As was already displayed in this very episode, its introduction is obviously there to fulfill the out-of-universe needs of a writing staff who want to produce situations where a hero whose crime index is too high is at greater risk of getting killed by friendly fire than a villain whose crime index is low. Its implementation in this episode felt especially silly in-universe: the police department just finished with a bomber whose Psycho-Pass remained clear even when he was clearly behaving insanely and with criminal intent, so they know that bad guys can turn up as good guys on a psymatic scan. Furthermore, the entire premise of Inspectors and Enforcers is about ex-cops whose Psycho-Passes clouded up too much and who were therefore deemed criminals; thus, every last person this police force has to be more than well aware of the possibility that a good guy could temporarily turn up with a criminally-high score.

It's been a long time since I've gotten to quasi-marathon an anime like this. I love it. I may (may) keep it up and hop on over to OreGairu once I finish with Psycho-Pass S2. We'll see.

EDIT: That moment when you realize that all of these posts could and probably should go in the official Psycho-Pass thread. Goddammit.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:26 AM   #158
Talon87
時の彼方へ

While my intended long-style posts for other shows continue to languish in limbo, here I am with a shameless status update on my viewing of Psycho-Pass Season 2.

Currently through Episode 07 of the series, plus the first two minutes of Episode 08. With intent to finish it either today or tomorrow, I have enjoyed the series thus far and imagine that I will continue to enjoy it on up through the finale, but it remains as ever an inferior story to the one Gen wove for us in Season 1. The plot is a little sillier this time around. (Yes, even sillier than hyper oats. ) The protagonists feel more like characters played upon the stage by actors and less like actual people. Most of the emotional investment I have in the returning characters is carried over from Season 1 while there isn't much emotional investment I have in any of the new characters. And above all else, it still feels like a fanfic. The writer has fun exploring head-canon ideas for what certain S1 characters would say or do in the situations he now places them in, but even their very presence in such scenes feels out of place, feels somehow wrong, like a transgression against the original story. Which is strange, honestly -- because the opening credits remind us every episode that Urobuchi Gen was a project overseer for this series, so it's not as though the scenario writer didn't receive feedback from Gen. One has to imagine that he did, and more importantly that Gen's green light was required for certain ones of the biggest so-called transgressions to even take place. This leaves me a little confused and conflicted: is it the scenario writer who has fanfic'd the series up too much? Or is it Gen himself who has lost touch with his own universe? Is it even fair of me, a mere viewer, to suppose the latter when Gen is himself the series' creator?

(Spoilers through the first few minutes of S2 Episode 08.)

Kougami has only appeared twice throughout the entire season. The first time, Akane is looking at Togane, a new Enforcer character, and she temporarily perceives him to be Kougami. The second time, Akane is meditating and she has a conversation with the Kougami in her mind. Both times, the real Kougami isn't even there -- when I say "Kougami has appeared twice," I'm not even speaking of the actual man, just the figment of Akane's imagination. This is rather disappointing. I had hoped that if a sequel was to be made for the original series that it would 1) focus on Akane's and Kougami's intertwined stories and 2) focus on Akane and/or Kougami working to take down the Sybil system. We haven't gotten either. Akane is a depressed but otherwise faithful lapdog to Sybil while Kougami is completely absent from the picture. One imagines that the writer is saving Kougami for a grand entrance in the finale -- perhaps he'll be the one to blow away the villain and save Akane -- but this amounts to a waste of potential. S2 could have been much more fulfilling as a direct continuation of S1, but instead it's a Star Wars Expanded Universe-esque side story.

The villain, Kamui Kirito, is someone whose cymatic scan cannot be read, i.e. who always has a clear hue. This is similar to Makishima Shougo from Season 1. But where Gen explained Makishima's case as being "criminally asymptomatic," someone whose brain could technically be read by the brains in jars but whose brain was subsequently assessed by those brains to be indeterminately moral, Kamui's brain flat out cannot be read, i.e. there's a technical limitation to the cymatic scan that is preventing Sybil from being able to get a read on Kamui. In Episode 08's opening scene, it's revealed why this is -- Kamui is a multi-organ recipient, including portions of seven different people's brains. So while he is only one man with the normal sets of organs (including one overall brain), because his brain is a Frankenstein mishmash of seven different people's, Sybil gets confused when it tries to scan him and it 1) can't even pull up who he is in the database and 2) throws up a clear Psycho-Pass hue for him. I find this popcorn-entertainment-wise to be entertaining and I'm happy to roll with it, but art-guru-wise I do find it to be somewhat silly as well as a somewhat disappointing near copy-and-paste of Gen's ideas from Season 1.

The second season continues to, strangely, make appeals to fans of guro. There is much revisiting of various characters' deaths by Dominator, and new deaths are shown in graphic fashion, including one man who only partially explodes (causing him to lay there on the ground, with only half a body, and to bleed out) and one woman who grotesquely swells up to the neck and thus whose final moments are of a shrieking female head atop of a disgusting mass of tumorous flesh. If you're a fan of this sort of stuff, then there you go: S2 treats you to more of it than S1 did. Me, I find it as queer as I do a shemale dominatrix. ^^;

One of the second season's strengths comes in the form of Sybil's refusal to revoke Inspector Shisui's privileged use of Dominators. Akane calls the hivemind out on this: "Upgrading her status to that of a latent criminal even though her Psycho-Pass hue is clear would be an admission that your system is flawed." The hivemind is so irked by Akane's deduction that they instruct her to "watch [her] mouth," but they all know it's true: it would be only too easy for Sybil to say, "Y'know what? You don't get to use Dominators anymore, ex-Inspector Shisui. Permission denied. Access revoked." And yet Sybil doesn't. And allows Shisui to continue to assist Kamui in killing dozens of people and clouding up hundreds of Psycho-Pass scores. It's an interesting angle that I wish the show would focus on more, and is one of few true "sequel" ideas I see in Season 2.

Speaking of Shisui, she's madly in love with Kamui at this point, fully brainwashed. It's pretty silly, but I've already complained about this previously so I won't waste additional time here.

Probably the most interesting plot point in S2 so far, at least for me, is the revelation that Enforcer Togane -- who we are told in an earlier episode had the highest criminal coefficient of any pre-Enforcer in the history of the program, something like 422 -- is a serial killer corrupter who relishes in clouding Inspectors' Psycho-Passes and transforming them into latent criminals like himself. He becomes obsessed with Akane, the incorruptible heroine, and reveals to the audience in a recent episode that his goal is to stain her hue in black. The rookie Inspector, Shimotsuki, is the one who discovers most of this -- Akane and most other people at the police force have absolutely no idea -- and she begins to work on a dangerous self-assigned mission to protect her senpai from Togane. This creates an interesting triangle between Akane, Shimotsuki, and Togane since 1) Shimotsuki is at greatest and most obvious risk of becoming a latent criminal, 2) and everyone, Togane included, knows it; 3) but Togane could care less about Shimotsuki right now, so obsessed is he with his white whale that is the incorruptible Akane; 4) and complicating the picture further, Shimotsuki is torn between her ugly envy of Akane -- so ugly that at one point she catches herself wishing Akane's hue would get cloudy, and then ashamedly asks herself what on earth she's saying -- and her tsundere(?) admiration of her senpai. It'll be interesting to see how things play out for Togane and Shimotsuki in the end.

Last edited by Talon87; 01-31-2015 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:34 PM   #159
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Episode 08!

Inspector Shimotsuki allows her uglier side to get the better of her -- rather than share her findings with Akane & Co., she provides a detailed report to the Chief about what she's discovered re: Togane, Kamui, and so forth. And in that same report she calls for the dismissal of Inspector Tsunemori Akane.

And what happens? The chief calls Shimotsuki to her office. Where she reveals that some of the information she dug up in her snooping is what's called "open-door data," a trap set for spies and snoops. And that Shimotsuki fell for it hook, line, and sinker. And that, given Shimotsuki's Psycho-Pass is still clear, this makes her criminally asymptomatic. And thus this makes her a wonderful candidate for addition to the brain jar family.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell shit.

Luckily for Shimotsuki, the brains in jars can't seem to make up their minds on what exactly to do with Shimotsuki. Togane shows up and reveals that his own mother, and former CEO of the Togane Foundation, is none other than the brain currently inside of the Chief robot. That Togane and the Chief+brains are working together. That it's their shared goal to not only get Kamui but to also corrupt Akane. (I really fail to see why that should be a goal shared by the brains in jars, but whatever.) And Togane says to his mother that "we still have use for her," Shimotsuki, and that she'd make a good candidate for something-or-other. The mother agrees, and she basically gives Shimotsuki the beginning of the same speech that Akane was given when Akane learned the truth about the Sybil system. So ... we'll see? I got the impression that they wanted to see if, on learning the truth about Sybil, Shimotsuki would remain clear the same way that Akane did. I dunno. It still seems kinda probable to me though that whatever her reaction is they plan to either 1) incarcerate her or 2) turn her into a brain in a jar. So it'll be up to Akane to save the day!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

As for the Kamui side of the story, it's kind of confusing. There's this odd blend of implication that Kamui is every holo but that at the same time he isn't? Like, there's a part where Saiga Jouji is investigating the surgeon who performed the operation on Kamui as a boy, and after the OP credits end the surgeon's likeness is replaced by Kamui's, implying that it's Kamui we have in the detention center right now (wearing a holo of the surgeon) and not the doctor himself; but then later it returns to looking like the surgeon, and the way he speaks of Kamui is very much like a second party. ("Kamui will save us," "I'm not as good as Kamui," that sort of stuff.) So I dunno. Are they all mind-linked? Was that indeed Kamui there? Was that the surgeon and he was just reciting Kamui's mantra for Saiga in Kamui's absence? I think it was supposed to be the latter but I'm confused still by the visuals and the dialogue.

Anyway, it's revealed during the course of the episode that Kamui 1) wants to overthrow the Sybil system, much like Makishima did, and that 2) he likely wants revenge against the Togane Foundation. Now that we know that the Togane Foundation is entrenched with the Sybil system (Togane's mother being one of the brains in jars, after all), these two aims of Kamui's sync up rather nicely.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:25 PM   #160
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Episode 09.

Story gets silly here.

First, Shimotsuki looks half-deranged, half-terrified as she applauds the Sybil system as a paragon of law. It's absurd that Sybil would take her seriously if she's lying for her life, and it's equally absurd that they'd have any use for her if she's snapped.

Second, the revelation that Kamui's #1 partner is working in cahoots with / on orders from Togane is just stupid. Why would Togane give them Grandmother Tsunemori's location? And why would they do his dirty work for him? Kamui hates Sybil. Kamui hates the Togane Foundation. It's preposterous that he or his allies would ever take orders from them or do them favors. And yes, I realize that Kamui hadn't wanted to do this and told his friend off for doing it anyway. But that friend is still on Team Kamui. So it's still stupid.

Third, why would Togane require Shimotsuki's help in locating Akane's grandmother? She's in a nursing home in the public record. The police department can easily find out her location. As can Sibyl's brains in jars. What possible need is there for Shimotsuki? It's stupid. Poor writing.

Fourth, it's poorly explained why Kamui would betray the illegal aliens who had helped him and who so believed in his cause. I wager it's to cover his tracks but the whole scene seemed much more judgmental than that, as if he didn't deem them worthy of joining him to the end. When Kamui's friend tells Akane about them, his dialogue was unintentionally hilarious: it revealed the deeply-entrenched xenophobia in Japan, the absurd notion that immigrants are "blood traitors" who no nation should ever treat as 1st-class citizens. Heaven forbid this scenario writer's children ever want to move to America.
Old 01-31-2015, 04:30 PM   #161
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Finished Season 2. In the end, it was like many a Hollywood sequel: entertaining but of decidedly less quality than the original. If you really loved Psycho-Pass Season 1 and want to revisit that universe with some never-before-seen tales, then sure, I'd recommend you check it out. But if the first season was only a 7/10 or worse for you, then you can rest assured that Season 2 would at best only be a 6/10.

Really disappointed with the S1 vs. S2 headbutting that the S2 story writer's solution for Sybil's existence produces. Here we have a resolution where Sybil justifies its continued existence by 1) acquiescing to Kamui's challenge for Sybil to judge both itself and Kamui collectively, and 2) ensuring that it doesn't itself die to a super-high score -- by removing from its brain bank every single last brain that would on its own rank a 300+ on the cymatic scan. The problem I have with this is, this is the same Sybil who, just last season, wanted to add Makishima Shougo to their collective consciousness. The same Sybil that is composed of a great many brains -- 40% of the group? 50%? 70%? -- who are latent criminals. The same Sybil who, even in Season 2, is behaving like a villain rather than an anti-hero. Why the fuck should we believe that they'd be willing to kill off so many of the "evil brains" and leave behind the cheery clear ones? And why the fuck should we believe that after that happens that Sybil is STILL an untrustworthy asshole!? That was one thing that really bothered me -- that instead of getting a Nice Lady Section Chief after the culling of the evil brains, we still had as a hard-as-nails, mean-as-fuck Section Chief with questionable motives.

No Kougami in the end. Just a couple more imagination sequences. *sigh*

Kamui's death felt meaningless. He never struck me as suicidal, and it wasn't yet clear that he had accomplished his goals when he decided to kill Togane at the same time Togane killed him. Really not understanding why, in real life, he would not have simply fired at Togane from behind Akane: Togane's gun visibly locked up when Akane got in the way, so Akane is like this perfect shield against Dominators that gives Kamui free reign to fire at will at any targets in front of her.

Still not a fan of Mindbreak(?) Shimotsuki. Largely because of that infernal question mark.

Time for scores.

Plot: 5/10 (average) with mostly 6 and 5 moments and the occasional 7 but enough 4s or 3s to drag us firmly down to a 5.

Characters: 6/10 (fair)

Music: 5/10 (average)

Animation: 7/10 (good)

Replay Value: 3/10 (very bad) for me personally, but your mileage may vary

OVERALL: 5/10 if we don't let it rest at all on S1's laurels, but 6/10 if we do and I'm in a good mood. For now I have it at a 6/10 on MyAnimeList but I'm really close to docking it a point in recognition that I'm probably being too soft on it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime