UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 09-20-2015, 09:48 PM   #6926
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
I had no idea VGM was watching this. But I'll say I disagree with your assessment in a few places. The locomotive metaphor for describing the movement of the plot and its inevitable crash has been overdone too. :p
Perhaps, then, you missed the ironic beauty of why I used such a metaphor ;)

Quote:
I think the character development has been poor, and the show for the most part a vapid re-tread of Angel Beats. The only interesting episode was the first one. There's very little chemistry otherwise, I can't see how the characters could force main guy x Tomori so consistently, and it's kind of blatant how much of a VEF she is.

That said, I need to get to Episode 12 pronto. No more dilly-dallying.
I will say this. Episode 8 of Charlotte is uncharacteristically too damn good for the show it's in. Maybe not many will agree with me on that sentiment, but for as overwhelmingly 'meh' as the rest of the show has been, episode 8 was a standout performance as one of the best episodes of the season (of what I'm currently watching at least). For as uncharacteristic as it got, it was a really good insight on the destruction of a man and his psyche and subsequent descent into madness.

And if there's anything else great to come out of this show, it's Nao. Because goddamn, cute pseudo-tsun platinum blonde girls. #ProtectNao2015

At the end of the day Charlotte is going to probably end with a 6.5/10. Rarely do I find myself letting ridiculous cliches and dullness slide, but Charlotte is going to be one exception to the rule. Despite all of its shortcomings, and despite being so typical, Charlotte has a unique charm that many other stories don't quite have.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:49 PM   #6927
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Angel Beats was like 2007's version of Kyoukai no Kanata. It had *arguably the ingredients for what should have been a good show, but the cooking was rather poor. The story also blew its load rather early by launching the most dramatic story right off the bat, then repeating the formula for the rest of the show while also throwing in some dopey filler scenes.

Charlotte is even more poor, at least relative to the progress I saw in Angel Beats. It's been static since Episode 1, I wager.

*arguably, because the ingredients were probably stereotypes/cliches/tropes that couldn't be called good in isolation
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:57 PM   #6928
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
I will say this. Episode 8 of Charlotte is uncharacteristically too damn good for the show it's in. Maybe not many will agree with me on that sentiment, but for as overwhelmingly 'meh' as the rest of the show has been, episode 8 was a standout performance as one of the best episodes of the season (of what I'm currently watching at least). For as uncharacteristic as it got, it was a really good insight on the destruction of a man and his psyche and descent into madness.

And if there's anything else great to come out of this show, it's Nao. Because goddamn, cute pseudo-tsun platinum blonde girls. #ProtectNao2015

At the end of the day Charlotte is going to probably end with a 6.5/10. Rarely do I find myself letting ridiculous cliches and dullness slide, but Charlotte is going to be one exception to the rule. Despite all of its shortcomings, and despite being so typical, Charlotte has a unique charm that many other stories don't quite have.
I like Tomori because she's marriage material, and I'm at a point in my life where something like this is going to speak to me a lot more powerfully than it would have when I was younger. But a cute character you like is just one variable in a series of equations that don't lead to an answer.

I think one of the true hallmarks of why Charlotte is bad is, Episode 6 or so, a lot of characters make out that Tomori and main guy are a good couple. How? I didn't see it at all. They're a clash of a Type A and Type B personality, and main guy doesn't offer any satisfaction of Tomori's emotional needs. They're the most physically attractive couple in the story, but that's it. They're a poor couple in the way Lelouch and C.C. were not.

I've talked to BBB about this too, but it bothered me how "eligible" Tomori was made. She's a cute girl given an emotional vulnerability, and given her isolation it makes the viewer feel like he could easily get in a relationship with her. It's the complete opposite of realism, but I don't look for real or fabrication in stories, but a blend of both. A lie with enough truth you want to believe in it. It's funny because the first episode basically singled out characters like this, in how the main guy was able to manipulate the hottest smart girl into being his girlfriend.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-26-2015, 12:35 AM   #6929
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

SO looks like Muv Luv is being kickstarted to be translated and brought over.
Old 09-26-2015, 12:53 AM   #6930
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

It's just another case of "legitimizing" the currently existing translation. I honestly don't understand the passion behind campaigns like this, but whatever, let the kids have their fun.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-26-2015, 01:00 AM   #6931
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

My guess would be the passion of legally being able to own the VN in English? And I don't know about it being a case of just using the fan-translation, by the looks of it the VN will be actually professionally translated. Though without a doubt, I would say that the dedicated fans would be those who were involved with the fan translation.
Old 09-26-2015, 01:13 AM   #6932
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

What ends up happening is the Kickstarter gets the money to "officially" license the work from the IP holder, in this case age, and they just adopt the fan translation and begin to market it through Western distro like Steam and the like. This is basically what happened with the Chaos;head and Grisaia no Kajitsu TL's.

Yeah, a big part of it is resolving the issue of fans wanting to compensate age for something they really enjoyed, but are unable to conveniently. I used to find this upsetting for a couple reasons, one of which is that 1) ixrec the translator tried to negotiate these same rights and failed, and is un-compensated for his work or credited for his role in popularizing Muv-Luv and 2) fans were not willing to import age IPs but are willing to endorse this dubious bit of piracy.

It's pretty much guaranteed that the guys who are trying to bring over ML lack the tools or understanding of Nagato's tools for hacking the VERY INTIMIDATING rUGP game engine.

Honestly, this is a huge part of why when I release my game, it's going to be free.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-26-2015, 01:35 AM   #6933
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

So in news of things that I actually care about:

Tokyo ESP has been picked up by Vertical Inc, for distribution in the West! I think, though I'm not 100% sure about this, its being released in two in one volumes, which means you get double the fun! It's probably one of my favourite manga at the moment and I really recommend that people go out and read the scanlated version, and if it tickles your fancy, go out and buy it.

My big hope for Tokyo ESP is that it does good enough that Ga-Rei gets licensed and brought over into English speaking countries.

EDIT: lolol, I forgot the actual release date. It's getting released around the 7th of October, I do believe.

Last edited by PikaGod; 09-26-2015 at 01:40 AM.
PikaGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 03:33 PM   #6934
deoxys
Fog Badge

Charlotte Finale thoughts:

Fuck.

Post-Mortem soon.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:58 PM   #6935
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Hahaha VGM, he's probably drowning in feels.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-28-2015, 07:33 PM   #6936
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

So the other day I watched Ga-Rei Zero, an anime prequel to the manga Ga-Rei. It was a really good watch in my opinion, without a doubt it worked as a prequel to Ga-Rei. I'm not entirely sure how well it was received by those who hadn't read the manga, pretty much the whole series is just setting up what happens in the first arc of Ga-Rei.

Personally I really liked it, my only real criticism being that I felt that the actual character designs in the anime, apart from Yomi, Iwahata and the Nabu brothers, felt generic and it made my miss Hajime Segawa's art. It really developed the dynamic between Kagura and Yomi, something that I found that Ga Rei actually lacked, and actually made me understand that . It was well animated for the most part, the CGI scenes were very poorly integrated with the 2D animation I thought but thankfully they were quite rare.

Also it has a goddamn kickass OP
Old 09-29-2015, 12:06 PM   #6937
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

That's an odd criticism, as the "realistic" looking girls of Gai-Rei Zero is often cited as the main selling point! I couldn't tell you what the story was about, but the girls all have black hair, and less stylized faces!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-01-2015, 08:43 PM   #6938
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I've been passing along this Nico Start! Medley to various users and they've all commented it's made them nostalgic. Most of the anime/memes set then are from about 7 years ago, perhaps 8, with a few from 2010-ish like Macross Frontier and Puella Magi Madoka Magica. But for the most part, it's an ode to a bunch of memes that have persevered in Japan in and nothing new and virally potent has come around anytime recently.

The opening with Yayoi has re-kindled an interest in IM@S, which for me was comparable to how the Mekakucity fans are of KagePro. I sort of lost interest when the anime came around, for some reason. I think the schedule, the lack of surprise since I already knew the story, and the looser focus on the music were the major deterrents. Oh, and the lack of Giant Robo's character designs.

Haruhi's HHY and of all this Lucky Star's opening has similarly appealed to nostalgia, although it's made me rewind back to 2007 and wonder what the heck I'm nostalgic of. In 2007/2006, I was just two/one years removed from high school. I shouldn't be nostalgic or feel any sort of longing for something so recent. IM@S was the same, my feelings now are a longing for the experience in 2007. What I felt in 2007 was far more different, and I'm also intellectually curious as to why. I'm not sure if I'm making any sense.

I think in Haruhi, it dated back to a Talon post on the Day of Sagittarius where he pointed out the technology was very 1990's, which did have me feel a bit nostalgic for 8th Grade (the year 2000) when I first broke onto the internet scene, and experimented with the like of Macintosh animated .gifs and sound files. Given the time frame (2000/2006, then 2007/2015) it looks like 6-8 years are sufficient to trigger these attitudes.

2007 in particular, along with 2000, go down as "significant" years in my life, as two I rate above all others. Which is ironic as in 2007 I wasn't doing so hot in college, but from the entertainment side of things I couldn't have had more fun.

Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.

This was my weekly post.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-03-2015, 12:09 PM   #6939
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Quote:
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Sigged SO FAST
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 03:52 AM   #6940
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Legend of the Galactic Heroes is ridiculous in how noble the characters are. It's pretty nutty how fictional characters based on ideals that never existed as real people could get me so worked up.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-04-2015, 05:53 AM   #6941
KamenAeons
ROASTY ROASTY

Quote:
Legend of the Galactic Heroes is ridiculous in how noble the characters are. It's pretty nutty how fictional characters based on ideals that never existed as real people could get me so worked up.
Good man. Keep watching it =w=b

Spoiler: show

Yukirin is awesome for doing this for me! And by Yukirin, I mean lilbleucorsola.
3DS FC: 1607 2923 7949

The Kamen Fleet (TL5 / A- Grade Referee) | Cameron Kalmia: Viridian's Maskmaker
Hizumi Yukikaze: Emerald Breeze~ | Tokikou Nobuyuki: Time Mage
Ludger Bullenaar: Bastion of Raji City | Helena Levinton: Violet Stitching
Shizuya Kasen: SHSL Armourer

Waifu Squadron and Explorers | Cavern of Chaotic Creativity

Paradise lies beyond the horizon, challenge it because it is unreachable.
Speak of the absolute territory, and grasp it with your hands.

SAAVE ME

FLOOF AND MOFUMOFU JUSTICE! *WHACK*

"Quit poking my face! >_<"
"Ahahaha, you'll never get rid of this! *hiss*"

"STOP POKING MY SISTER!"

"That was a terrible idea. But holy carp, this tastes pretty nice."

Kamen's mind:

"YOUKOSO WAGA CRAZY E"

Love burns brightly for one and all.

Please don't diss idols or fluffy things in my presence.
KamenAeons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 03:01 PM   #6942
Crys
seems theres a case aclaw

Having just watched the first ep of the Osomatsu revival, I can claim with 100% honesty that I'm hyped for this series. Along with One Punch Man, it might be one of the best anime of the season.

For after you're done watching, should you choose so.

What did you all think of their debut, coming back after so very long? It was one hell of an interesting episode, packed with ALL OF THE REFERENCES from the past to the present, and in my opinion did a fairly decent job of it. The transition from original -> "modern" -> original was a nice touch as well. Got an extra chuckle out of the next planned episode title: "Melancholy of Osomatsu-san"
Old 10-10-2015, 05:18 PM   #6943
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

My plans for today are to marathon Air, try out Osomatsu via Crys' suggestion above, and finish off LOTGH. I need to be less lazy.

Gonna finish off some YGO duels first!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-11-2015, 10:01 AM   #6944
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-11-2015, 11:51 PM   #6945
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Please don't tell me that's Mr. Satan going Super Saiyan.

Also, even though I like Air, I tried to talk him out of watching it because I don't think he'll like it. I don't recommend this show to people anymore because it's too unsafe.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 12:22 AM   #6946
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I am so glad I stopped watching DBS. That image alone is enough to make me glad I stopped.

Anyway, I'm behind on reporting on shows and whatnot. I didn't even bother putting up this season's list!

Charlotte
This show tells me why Jun Maeda stopped writing. He's just tapped out of ideas, and anything else coming out of him is just....well this. It reminds me of Mirai Nikki where the writer tried to go needlessly over-the-top to try to hook people. Like "Oh, what's a good way to make this character seem sympathetic? LETS HAVE HER GET GANGRAPED DAILY!". Charlotte isn't THAT bad, but it's not that far off. Charlotte gets a 4 from me.

That's uhh...it for last season shows. Working and Cinderella girls is doing a "We'll release the finale later." kind of thing. I'm behind on Gangsta. Anyway, for new shows! Trust me, there isn't much. This season fucking sucks.

Comet Lucifer
This show seems like a dull Eureka 7. Eureka 7 itself might be dull, but I don't really rememeber.

Concrete Revolutio
Ugh....I hope you like Mekakucity Actors, because this show reminds me so strongly of that. Episode 1 is a jumbled up mess. I don't care enough to continue.

Gochuumon wa Usagi Desu ka S2
HNNNNNNNNNG....so much cute...can't take it....*dies* Yeah....This so over-the-top adorable while still being a little funny. When the episode ended, I thought my heart would finally get a break, but that fucking ending went on full-throttle and finished the job.

Yuru Yuri S3
Eh. It seems like the budget suddenly died. This just doesn't have the magic the first two seasons had. I'll still watch it, but I don't think I'll enjoy it. Maybe I'm more pessimistic on it because Oota Masahiko isn't directing it? What I didn't realize is that he did Umaru instead.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 12:33 AM   #6947
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

What, this season is freaking awesome just because of OPM. Its intensely powerful gravitational aura of excitement is causing a lensing effect, bending all eyes to its spherical perfection.

My clumsy, Interstellar-inspired analogy cannot contain enough enthusiasm for that kick-rear show!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-12-2015, 09:35 AM   #6948
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Actually, there is something of note happening this season.

Two anime are sporting the same generic light novel plot, tropes and cliches merely hours apart in airtime. The episode construction is purportedly the same, so the slightly differences have left an impression of deja vu on the tasteless sods who would be watching such bad anime to begin with.

The two titles are:

Rakudai Kishi no Kayabarurii and Gakusen Toshi Asterisk. The plots are as follows:

Rakudai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The story is set in a world where humans with supernatural powers known as Blazers can materialize a Device, weapons made through a person's soul. Ikki Kurogane, dubbed the Failure Knight by everyone around him, encounters a half-naked girl, Stella Vermillion, as she changes in his room. This encounter changes Ikki's life as he strives to become a real Mage Knight by reaching the peak of the Seven Star Sword Art Festival, an annual event held by the seven Mage Knight Academies in Japan to determine the strongest Apprentice Knight between the schools. The winner of the festival becomes known as the Seven Stars Sword Kings. The Seven Star Sword Art Festival features actual combat and the possibility of competitors dying exists.
Asterisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAL
The Academy City on the water, Rikka (otherwise known as Asterisk) is the world's largest stage for the integrated battle entertainment, "Star Wars Festival." The young boys and girls of the "Starpulse Generation" belonging to the six academies made their wishes with Shining Armaments in their hands, vying for supremacy—Amagiri Ayato is one of them.

Ayato arrived at Rikka at the invitation of the Student Council President of the Seidoukan Academy, Claudia, and right after that he incurred the wrath of the "Petalblaze Witch" Julis, and ended up having to duel her.

The greatest academy battle entertainment, begins here!
Ookay. This has happened before but the unintentional humour from the Asterisk-Rakudai similarities isn't because they were meant to compete, but because they're poorly inspired and are sourced from the same TVTropes page. Awful.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-18-2015, 12:35 AM   #6949
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Mitsudomoe

This was harder to watch than I figured. I'm not far through it. The art style is rather jarring with the subject matter. Wimpy male lead voiced by Hiro Shimono or Yuki Kaiji really isn't my scene.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-18-2015, 05:53 PM   #6950
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Mitsudomoe

This show is INCREDIBLY stupid. I get that the dumbness is intended to force jokes, but I can't laugh at the clinically retarded nurse. #1) she's an oppai loli, essentially. and #2) her level of intelligence is beyond anything I've ever seen. Even the scientifically accurate ThunderCats would say her lightbulb is rather dim.

It's even worse because I do urinalysis almost every day. That was inexcusable.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime