Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Fanart & Fanfiction

Old 03-09-2013, 12:21 PM   #126
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
Tyranitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanatori View Post
In an effort to break up Loki's posting streaks and cure my own boredom, I would like to propose that people name five fusions from this amusing Gen I fusion engine, and I will make some attempt to draw them. The sillier and more awkward, the better.
If you are still doing this, please draw Fartle.
Old 03-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #127
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions or advice on pixel art and sprite making? I'm thinking of making some comics using them, and I'd appreciate any help. (And right now, I've only been tinkering around in MS Paint and GIMP).
There are some programs which are specific to pixelart that you can find online. This is a nice guide for pixelart. They even give suggestions on what programs to use.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 09:36 AM   #128
swampert28
#009: Blastoise

Am I the only animator here? On the other hand I'm hoping to post a few of my animations sometime soon.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:28 PM   #129
Loki

I dabble in animation. I don't really have the patience for it.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:05 PM   #130
Loki

Not sure if anyone else heard, but Photoshop is going to get a lot more expensive and become a monthly subscription instead of a super high single payment.

Anyone else worry that this might make poor starving artist more poor and starving?
Old 05-25-2013, 08:27 PM   #131
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
Not sure if anyone else heard, but Photoshop is going to get a lot more expensive and become a monthly subscription instead of a super high single payment.
I had not heard, no. :o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
Anyone else worry that this might make poor starving artist more poor and starving?
Not really, no. ^^;

1. Pirates can (and likely will) still pirate older versions of the software. If it was good enough to make Steve Argyle-caliber work in 2009, it'll still be good enough to make Steve Argyle-caliber work in 2019. And the thing is, these older versions of PhotoShop aren't going to have any "UPGRADE OR DIE! " built-in programming to them, so you can use them as is for as long as you like.

2. Anyone who wants to can and likely will continue to use any of the rival products to PhotoShop, including and not limited to:For example, Mike Krahulik of Penny Arcade swears by Manga Studio, using it for everything he does except text bubbles (for which he still prefers PhotoShop).
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:34 PM   #132
Talon87
時の彼方へ

The challenge: Write an outline for a story in which that which is pictured above turns up at some point. Outlines needn't be any longer than 500 words, though you can write more than that if you like.

Bonus points: (1) writing it in the framework of an RP adventure; (2) providing pictures to go along with your outline

Additional information: if you'd like to write blindly based just on what you see above, go for it. If you'd like a little more context for the image, click the spoiler box. However, you should feel encouraged to write your own story for the image, not necessarily one which confirms to its original context. In the end, write whatever you're most comfortable with.

Spoiler: show
Ash and Pikachu (above) have arrived on an island renowned for its special honey. After many run-ins with swarms of angry Beedrill, the two finally get to sample some of the island's various culinary treats, including honeyed cakes and pastries.

Award: no award, but maybe we can all find some amusement from the entries provided.

Deadline: no official deadline, but unofficially let's say June 19 (two weeks from today).
Old 07-03-2013, 08:22 PM   #133
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Doh! I forgot about my own challenge despite being super excited to do it! >_< Extending the deadline indefinitely. Will probably be a jerk and establish a deadline of 2 weeks once I post my own entry.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:36 PM   #134
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

I swear to the gods, pelvises must be the hardest body part to learn how to draw.

"Okay, google, help me!"
*Googles 'Drawing Pelvis'*
*Pictures of bones*

"...No, it's the outside I want. Maybe if I change 'Pelvis' to 'Pelvic area'?"
*Diagrams of the inside of the pelvis*

"...Someone kill me."

EDIT: Nvm, just remembered to do the internal structure first, so it doesn't really matter.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:48 PM   #135
Loki

Its kind of funny that you mention the pelvis. There's a decent amount of well known artists who draw horrible pelvis/hips.
Old 09-05-2013, 04:55 PM   #136
Loki

I'm thinking of starting an Art/Fic game where one person starts, then a different person picks it up. Sort of like those improv games, but with fan art/fan fiction. If anyone else is interested, lemme know and I'll start it up.

Here's the first chapter as an example.

Last edited by Loki; 09-05-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:06 PM   #137
Loki

So a friend of mine linked me to this to me.

The artist talks about how artist commissions are typically very low considering how many hours an artist usually needs to complete the work. Research time and various scrapped drafts aren't even thrown into calculation for most commissions. Add in time for tweaks the customer/client might want and honestly, the usual rates we see ($15-$50) is less than that of a minimum wage job.

Makes you really think about how much people actually appreciate and how they view artistry as a job when people are so unwilling to pay for it. Especially when art is used in so many things such as concept work and such.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:08 AM   #138
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rogers
The three main rules of storytelling:
  1. Who wants what?
  2. Why can't they have it?
  3. And why do I give a shit?
As heard just now in a video I was watching. Seemed like interesting workshop advice so I figured I'd share it.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:19 AM   #139
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
I recently wrote my first ever romance scene.

Dear God.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:43 PM   #140
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

He did!

His kissing scenes still have a long way to go, though.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:38 PM   #141
Talon87
時の彼方へ

So, I discovered a meme called "Draw This Again". The idea is one I think we've all thought of before: you take an art piece you used to be proud of and you re-draw it now to see just how much you've improved since the time you first drew it.

This DeviantArtist
is ridiculously good. Here's a larger version of the one on the right; you can more easily tell it's a drawing in this larger copy, but still. Amazing.

And another one by a different artist.

And another.

And another.

I find this stuff fascinating.
Old 10-09-2013, 03:10 AM   #142
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Yes, I must say that I've always found the 'draw this again' meme exciting, especially when it highlights just how much the person has improved in such a (relatively) short period of time. It gives hope to the aspiring artist.

Now, I was looking into the difference between lemons and limes (this is also the fanfiction forum), and I found that apparently while lemons feature 'the nasty' among other similar acts, limes... Are a lot more innocent than I had thought. On the one hand, they do encompass fics which feature 'touching', much as I expected, it would appear they also on the other extremity include kissing. Now, what I want to know is where does a normal fanfiction cross into lime territory? For example, I would think that

Quote:
They kissed.
would be solidly normal fanfiction territory. But then, on the other hand...

Quote:
He leaned into her, his tongue searching the crevices of her mouth as she welcomed him with a hesitant flick of her own fleshy muscle along his, her eyes squeezed shut as she dreaded- no, hoped for, more.
Normal fanfiction, or lime? From what I understand, throwing in some running of hands along thighs would drive that straight into lime territory, but as is? I cannot be certain. Help and advice from those more well-versed in the matter would be appreciated.

(Also, from my understanding, lemons require the event to be 'witnessed' by the reader, in an example of Schrodinger-esque logic; If it happened 'offscreen' it qualifies as a lime. Blaze, this means you.)
Quote:
Old 10-11-2013, 08:22 PM   #143
Kuno Fan
Kuno > N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindrindra View Post
Normal fanfiction, or lime? From what I understand, throwing in some running of hands along thighs would drive that straight into lime territory, but as is? I cannot be certain. Help and advice from those more well-versed in the matter would be appreciated.
Uuum, okay, this is a weird question and not really something I've thought about before, but I may as well give it a go? Before pretty recently, I hadn't thought of limes as anything more than a sort of lemon that just... Hm. I think I thought as it as the reader being given the simple touches -- nothing was too detailed or what but I guess I thought of them as... Caressing? Sure, that works. But... The example you use sounds particularly lime-y, but that's probably just because I'm thinking of it that way. When I look back on some of the less-dirty fanfiction I've read, I suppose you could manage to squeeze that in with it still qualifying as T-Rated fluff.

I think it really depends on where it leads? In my own personal definition, I think more touch -- even if it is just a bit of note on one character caressing the other's shoulder of all things, I think that could count as a lime?

... Aaaaactually, I'm not even too sure of that, but I'll just use that as my conclusion for now.

and the art thread that i'll be trying to breathe life back into lol
Kuno Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 11:56 PM   #144
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

*Flops into Artchat*

Sometimes I wish I could just become an editor.
Quote:
Old 10-20-2013, 11:57 PM   #145
Loki

That is a possible career option.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:40 PM   #146
Hanatori
Skippy.

Jumpluff

Attention past and future Secret Santa participants and non-participants!

Quick intro: If you've been around this UPN subforum for a bit, chances are you've seen or participated in the Secret Santa threads from the past two years. If you haven't seen them before, here's last year's main thread and its corresponding presents thread!

I received a couple of suggestions for future Secret Santas last year (if you liked having spriting included in last year's Secret Santa as its own separate category, you have Yuki to thank for that), but this year, I figured I'd post here to see if anybody else had feedback regarding past Secret Santas.

Is there anything you'd like to see tweaked around for this year's Secret Santa? More time to send in requests? Ability to volunteer for writing, art, and spriting at the same time? A less confusing rules post so people don't have to ask so many questions? Sound off and I'll consider your ideas! Because otherwise, it'll probably run the same way it did last year - which was pretty well, but that can always be improved.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:11 AM   #147
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

What about a Wild Card option where a person can suggest a more general theme/subject/concept, and whoever ends up with it can interpret it however they want? (Sort of like the FB Flavor of the Month.) Doesn't have to be restricted to art/writing/spriting either, to heighten the surprise element.

Last edited by lilboocorsola; 11-07-2013 at 01:19 AM.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 08:13 AM   #148
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
If I take part, someone poke me with a stick. I'm still sitting on a request from two years ago because I'm a terrible person.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #149
Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbluecorsola View Post
What about a Wild Card option where a person can suggest a more general theme/subject/concept, and whoever ends up with it can interpret it however they want? (Sort of like the FB Flavor of the Month.) Doesn't have to be restricted to art/writing/spriting either, to heighten the surprise element.
Yeah I was thinking something similar to this. Not restricting people to a Pokemon topic but rather all of nerdom here on UPNetwork.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:40 PM   #150
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

Yeah, I like that Wild Card idea! The requester would have to choose a theme that could be represented with either art OR writing equally, but could wind up getting poetry, animation, music, or some other media they didn't expect :O

I prefer to keep the Pokemon theme, since when people start requesting crap from their personal fandoms, they'll inevitably get partnered with a person who doesn't know the reference they're making and probably doesn't care, and they'll either wind up with a half-hearted attempt or a no-show. :V

*munch munch* | FB Profile
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Fanart & Fanfiction