UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 10-21-2020, 06:59 PM   #8001
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I've only watched the first episode but it was hinted there she's basically a sociopath. In fact, I had this prepared to rant about it:

Keep in mind, the opening of the story is how the Rubella witches don't watch to teach her because they're jealous of her youth, beauty, and ability. And then her parents paid off someone to sabotage her accommodating personality.

Turning into a literal witch is the natural outcome.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:30 PM   #8002
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
I had thought the anime would be about our main character Elaina travel around the fantasy world she's in and help with problems here and there, but it's more like a Mother Goose tales type show, where she travels around and witnesses the world, but hardly makes any effort to affect the world. It's kind of weird in that way because it makes Elaina lack agency and makes her seem cruel and cold-hearted.
Sounds similar to Kino no Tabi, which is pretty upfront about the MC's "zero interference" policy as they travel to different (often dystopian) countries simply as an "observer". (It's a good philosophical series, though I'd recommend watching the original 2003 version rather than the reboot.) Wouldn't have guessed this is the kind of show you're describing though based on all the cute gifs I've been seeing on tumblr...
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 07:46 PM   #8003
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Kino doesn't have the power to interfere, though. She's a fighter and is capable of defending herself, but her abilities put her closer to a real bystander than an all-powerful who can solve other people's problems.

While not stated outright, Elaina is supposed to be pretty powerful, trained by a strong witch and (probably) the daughter of the legendary Nike.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-24-2020, 12:50 AM   #8004
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

So I'm dropping it. So episode 4 she arrives in a burning town that has a kaiju running around at night. She goes to a castle to find a woman with amnesia who wants to kill the giant monster and she basically said she'd help her prepare as repayment for letting her stay in her safe castle, but wouldn't help her fight. Then she goes and finds the woman destroying the kaiju and it turns out the woman herself destroyed her country, the kaiju was her dad and she went crazy and shit. Then Elaina leaves.

I don't understand this kind of world building. I feel like I enjoy world building shows because they seem interesting and possibly be a place I'd like to visit myself. i.e. Pacific Rim. Sure it's a dangerous place sometimes, but it seems like there would be something cool to see. Like the world has heroes and it's exciting.

This world is just depressing. Like we have powerful people around, but they're all so apathetic or just straight evil. I guess Elaina's world doesn't have Uncle Ben teaching lessons about great power.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 02:27 AM   #8005
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

That's hilarious. I'm glad I didn't continue.

Now, my turn...

Welcome to Japan, Elf-san!

This is a really cute isekai that's a big metaphor for a foreign bride. Ordinary salaryman Kazuhiko has a special ability that, when he goes to sleep, he has realistic 'dreams' of another world where he adventures. Because of this, he's stopped watching TV or playing games, as his dreams are far more entertaining. He returns to Earth when he sleeps or when he dies in that world.

He's been doing this since he was a child, but his body in the 'dream' world ages slower. IRL he's 25, but in the dream he's 15. He has a friend in that world named Mary, a 102 year old elf who is curious about new experiences.

One day, he and Mary are killed by a dragon, but since he was holding Mary when he dies, she ends up transported back to Japan with him. Mary is fascinated with Japan and its bizarre culture, and starts spending all of her time with Kazuhiko.

There's three basic plots. Kazuhiko-Mary's adventures in 'dream' land, their adventures on Earth, and Kazuhiko's growing sexual attraction to Mary. The guy is incredibly pure and friendly at first but they're sleeping together and spending all their free time with one another. At at time with Kazuhiko should be courting women, he's spending all his time with (an admittedly beautiful) but apparently dead-end relationship with this childish elf from another world.

He treasures their friendship but is torn between his desire to pursue other women romantically or pursue Mary. The problem is I don't think Mary sees him as a marriage partner, due in part to her lack of awareness at his real age. She sees him as a 15 year old and apparently doesn't seem to realize

I don't think it's a coincidence that in some of the LN art, Mary is drawn lime Emilia. Emilia too is an elf who is physically old but mentally immature, and has very little sexual awareness for the man interested in her.

I'm very curious as to how this novel will progress. Obviously, I am shipping Kazuhiko x Mary because they basically act like a couple even if they're not. But I think the story would be boring if Kazuhiko marries her for realsies at this point, as the meta story of him being in relationship limbo is more interesting than the plot stuff in either world.

Otherwise, a very fun, cute and attractive isekai. Recommended!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-27-2020, 11:10 PM   #8006
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

The Kimetsu no Yaiba movie has already hit $100M USD gross in just 10 days in the theatre, making it the 15th highest grossing anime film of all-time there.

It's on pace to obliterate Spirited Away and Kimi no na wa if it does indeed stay in theatres for 3 months.

Heck, it should beat those two movies with just the October-November gross alone.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-28-2020, 07:04 AM   #8007
marlosmiles
Banned

Thanks for share this information. Very interesting.
marlosmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 09:27 AM   #8008
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Chainsaw Man is ending in the next few weeks, per Jump. And so a mediocre manga with intriguing potential ends on quite the whimper.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-29-2020, 05:32 PM   #8009
Loki

I feel like Chainsaw Man wrote itself into a corner after so many characters were just killed off. I kind of commend the author for his willingness to do so in a genre and industry so unwilling to let characters die as it kept tension high that almost anyone could die, but it cut off so many plot lines and made many characters seem pointless. I'm kind of curious how far Fujimoto actually writes ahead.

Meanwhile, titles unwilling to let anyone die have insanely long runs for better or worse. Plot armor is quite thick in modern storytelling.
Old 11-08-2020, 12:43 PM   #8010
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Gensou Gourmet

An isekai that's something like Ishuzoku Reviewers for food. The interesting part is typical Japanese writers will extol the virtues and glory of Japanese food, but the main guy in this is reviewing isekai food.

Granted, the food is still pretty similar to ours, but it's a nice change of pace from the usual white rice/soy sauce wank that's more typical of Japanese writing.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-13-2020, 02:13 PM   #8011
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Piggy Duke

Described as 'genderbent bakarina', this is an isekai where the nameless main character gets reincarnated into a fat, horrible "villainess" named Slow Denning in a visual novel.

Slow is apparently a popular character online in the real world because he's a tragic villain who gets NTR'd by his love, Charlotte, who despite loving him becomes like the 8th concubine in the hero's harem. It's sick.

So when the Japanese guy gets reincarnated into Slow, he's determined to have Slow win Charlotte's heart. Knowing the current method won't work he tries to improve himself and rehabilitate his social standing.

What's nice about this story is that there's a sense of progression. Slow starts off as a fat, evil pig, but goes on a diet and exercise routine. He slims down gradually throughout the story and eventually becomes a muscular Chad.

That said, outside of Slow's charisma - post transmigration the guy is a laid-back bro - there's not a ton to like.
Charlotte is a pretty meh character mostly because of her stupidity. She was unaware Slow sacrificed himself in the first game and remains basically useless here.
Alicia, Slow's former loli fiancee, is better and truly loves him, but it sucks because she has no route to a future with him anymore. The Japanese guy is monogamous and has no intention of pursuing a harem with her, and game Slow had already broken up with her. So the story in avoiding Slow's fate is instead pushing her toward tragedy instead.

This is a (fairly) unique and comfy title by virtue of it being genderbent otome. It also rides on the coattails of a really charismatic MC. It's worth looking into for the novelty.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-14-2020, 04:54 PM   #8012
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Sokushi CHeat ga Saikyou Sugite, Isekai no Yatsura ga Marude Aite ni Naranai n desu ga

tl;dr - isekai One Punch Man.

The basic premise - evil sages summon a class of Japanese kids to a parallel world, with the intent on making them sages to appose "Aggressors", isekai'd monsters trying to get back to their home and wrecking stuff in the process.

Four kids in the classroom don't get blessed with RPG powers and are left for dead. One of the powerless, Takatou Yogiri, possesses a supernatural ability on Earth to kill anything he desired with a thought, so long as he can imagine what he wants to kill.

Yogami and another powerless Tomochika wander the world and its cliche-filled developments, trying to find a way home, as Yogami systemically breaks down the plot by killing important characters and locations.

Ultimately, i think this is more fun than One Punch Man because it's less formulaic. OPM was very often setting up a boss battle for Saitama to effortlessly end - the structure of a joke.

This title is more entertaining because Yogami tries to hold himself back from killing, so when deaths happen and who dies is unexpected. You know the characters aren't in any danger after a time but that doesn't change the eddys and undertows of where the river takes them.

Now, how do I shorten the ungodly long title?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-20-2020, 07:02 PM   #8013
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Nozomanu Fushi no Boukensha

This is something like a sequel to Goblin Slayer, assuming that one day, Goblin Slayer dies on the job...and rises from the dead as a skeleton to continue what he was doing before.

The main character of this title, "Rent" is very similar to GS. He's a veteran Bronze-ranked adventurer who is considered a treasure of the town due to the low-rank quests he takes, the mentor ship he provides and the disputes he arbitrates.

One day, a dragon unexpectantly appears in a small dungeon he hunts and he's killed and eaten, but his corpse rises from the grave as a sentient skeleton. He's driven by nothing more than his pre-death desire to become a Mythril-ranked adventurer.

There are girls in it but since we have a "sexless MC" who is essentially an Ainz/GS fusion, nothing comes much from it. Although Rent does take a chunk out of one girl's shoulder when he evolves into a zombie.

I really like this. It's interesting, well drawn and nicely paced. It's a slow life title that isn't actually slow.

"Slow un-life"?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-24-2020, 12:14 AM   #8014
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Mugen Train surpasses Frozen to be the #3 highest grossing film in Japanese history, behind only Titanic and Spirited Away.

*jazz hands*
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-28-2020, 09:43 PM   #8015
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Road to Kingdom

This is a Berserk fanfic. It's like if Guts had Rance's personality but Griffith's dream and he goes on a continent-spanning conquest to make it come true. He also has two Dragon Slayers, his bardiche and his salami-sized schlong.

Although Berserk had nudity, Road to Kingdom takes it to another level as Aigil, the Guts expy, bangs basically every woman like he's a lobotomized rabbit.

This title is about as bad as it sounds. It's amusing for how shameless it is, but that's it.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-03-2020, 01:03 AM   #8016
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Chainsaw Man is ending on the next chapter. Welp.

Also, we learned in Majo no Tabitabi:

Spoiler: show
Elaina's mother was Nike, the teacher of Fran (who taught Elaina) and her father is the great sorcerer that defeated and tamed Nike.

So what was the point of the first episode? Is the author some kind of dimwit who can't understand human emotion, or a sadist who likes to write arsehole characters?

I hope this POS gets forgotten like the FOTM it is. Next month is Mushoku Tensei. Let's get ready to rock!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-03-2020, 03:06 PM   #8017
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Saikyou Juzoku Tensei: Cheat Majutsushi no Slow Life

Despite the name, there's no Cheat and no Slow Life. It's about a magician's son who dies, reincarnates into a world with magic, and trains himself day and night to be a great sorcerer.

However, after getting rich on tobacco and completing his coming-of-age ceremony, it's revealed he has to marry his sister per the clan custom. He freaks out and leaves, going on an adventure in the outside world.

It's fun and entertaining. I don't know how else to put it.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-09-2020, 01:31 PM   #8018
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Chainsaw is getting an anime by MAPPA, the studio behind the butchery that is Shingeki no Kyojin's final season.

It's amusing to see how desperate companies are to replicate Kimetsu no Yaiba's success without understanding the reasons behind why it's successful.

Would you try to replicate your lotto win by spending your lotto winnings on the next drawing?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-04-2021, 01:49 AM   #8019
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Gaikotsu Kishi-sama, Tadaima Isekai e Odekake-chuu

I want to bring this manga to the attention of Kuno and Loki. It's an isekai about a Japanese man who is isekai'd as a skeleton in a medieval fantasy world, wears a suit of armour and adventures across the countryside trying to remove his "curse". His quests involves hunting powerful enemies known as the "Dragon Lords"...

Sound familiar? It should, because this is basically Overlord's Momon plot, extended for a full series and without the baggage of Nazarick. It's pretty fun, although right now a tad redundant with the Overlord volume "Princess of a Fallen Kingdom" I think it was.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-05-2021, 01:45 PM   #8020
Loki

Not going to lie, but that description seems really unappealing. I don't know about others, but the appeal of Overlord to me was Momon and his nostalgia for his time playing his MMO with his friends and how the denizens of Nazarick were proxies for them. Removing that makes this a generic fantasy isekai.

And to jump back a month, MAPPA did Dororo, Yuri! on Ice, and a few other notable series in the past with amazing art and animation. And the fact that they inherited AOTS from Studio Wit, I don't think it's the best to judge Chainsaw Man based on that alone before we've even seen it.
Old 01-05-2021, 05:18 PM   #8021
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Not going to lie, but that description seems really unappealing. I don't know about others, but the appeal of Overlord to me was Momon and his nostalgia for his time playing his MMO with his friends and how the denizens of Nazarick were proxies for them. Removing that makes this a generic fantasy isekai.
But in the meta-narrative of Overlord's draft process, Maruyama himself felt as burdened by Overlord franchise because writing it became work, hence why he wrote "Princess of a Fallen Kingdom" as the story he really wanted to tell.

Quote:
And to jump back a month, MAPPA did Dororo, Yuri! on Ice, and a few other notable series in the past with amazing art and animation. And the fact that they inherited AOTS from Studio Wit, I don't think it's the best to judge Chainsaw Man based on that alone before we've even seen it.
I'd have to see clips of the highs and lows. People are calling SnK S4 "kino" but the art and animation are definitely steps down from the previous season. It's only the drama of the scene that is causing people to overlook obvious CGI, anti-aliased models or awkward motion.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-06-2021, 12:02 PM   #8022
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

100 Man no Inochi

This is a famous-ish isekai due to a nasty twist that happened in Chapter 14 or so. I got to it and...honestly, it's depressing me way too much.

Like I feel legit worse than when I finished Saikyou Densetsu Kurosawa.

100 Man's full title translates to "I'm standing on a million lives" and the metaphor is obviously a mountain of corpses. Call it pretentious, but each arc of the story focuses on a societal ill, whether it be disputes over land, drugs, labour surplus or what have you...and the main characte being a literal child gives him a strong moral lens to view it out of.

The problem is that each arc is separated by 15 or so years, and the characters time travel between the arcs. The friends they make in the isekai all meet grisly fates after they leave, romances with the main cast break, and in general all that passes on into the future is the legend of the hero.

It reminds me of Zelda in a way where Link/Zelda reincarnate but the only thing that ties people to the past is literally The Legend, of the Hero and of Zelda/Hylia. It's hard to take when you try to look at it beyond the perspective of a human lifetime.

The worst part is where the main character's first love reminisces about her youth. She says her youth was what made her strong enough to survive adulthood, and defines it by the 'mistakes' or choices she made without an adult's wisdom. This was horribly depressing because it basically reaffirms all the nostalgia chasing that exists in the present day. People put so much emphasis on childhood that they never progress into the adulthood that childhood is supposed to prep them for.

For Yotsuya, he doesn't get this because he's only like 12 years old. The adults telling them the horrors of the future, they don't 'get' it. But as an adult I look at this with horror. This girl's heart was broken by her first love jumping into the future and she never gave up on him even after she grew old, had a family, got injured and broken by life.

It just is, is this supposed to be a good thing? The manga has no commentary. What are kids supposed to take from this kind of somber message?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-07-2021, 08:37 PM   #8023
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Looks like Shingeki no Kyojin will end in April. If you've been away, this is a great time to give it another chance.

Ignore the MAPPA anime though, it looks arse.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-09-2021, 11:52 PM   #8024
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

My sister got to the Re:Zero speech in Re:Zero S1 and had a meltdown.

I was hoping the speech would redeem the series to her but it didn't, it made her hate Rem for being a "simp".

She wanted to see Subaru die forever for being a "self-indulged turbo incel". Whew.

It's not like I didn't have similar sentiments before that speech, but it cause me to reevaluate how critically people think when watching anime that aggravates the emotions.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-21-2021, 03:51 AM   #8025
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Re:Zero S2 - Part two

sux.

There are some good bits sandwiched between cringe and arsepulls. I don't know what to think, it's a disjointed mess.

Gekidol

Got my attention due to some "NTR" in the third episode but otherwise, yawn and boring!

Mushoku Tensei

A lot better than I expected, based on the trailers.

Kumo

About what I expected from the trailers.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime