UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 11-28-2007, 06:02 PM   #26
Another Fan
Boulder Badge

Re: Super Mario Galaxy

Well, to me, limited power-ups were to give challenge. Which seems reasonable to me.

You can pretty much fly over many of the first Super Mario World stages.

Fizzy Bubbles Information[/center:ac83b]
Another Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:23 PM   #27
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Why is that "a challenge" is inherently good? Many people enjoy (to this day!) Mario 3 and Super Mario World because they present optional challenge. They were so well-designed that players could invent challenges for themselves (such as how quick to beat it, whether one can beat it or not without ever dying, beating it without the use of Warp Whistles, etc. etc.) or they could opt to "sit back, relax, and just cruise right on through a colorful visual barrage of entertainment."

Do you always enjoy reading challenging books, by which we mean books that cannot be understood or appreciated without investing a lot of brain power and even some outside research? (Good example: The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner.)

Do you always enjoy watching challenging movies, by which we mean really high-brow entertainment? (Good example: Cannes Film Festival stuff. Bad example: anything starring Steven Seagal.)

Do you always enjoy challenging exams? Exams that even after you study and study and study you still fail or barely pass?

Of course not. Sometimes in life, people want to relax. Relaxation and challenge are very often exclusive of one another, for most people. Granted, you don't want the game to have no challenge or there'd be no point; but there's nothing wrong with skating by with the bare minimum challenge requirement. And the original Mario games did just that. Same with a lot of the original NES games -- they were made to be beatable within a 4 hour sitting because (a) many games did not have save features back then, so once you turned off the Nintendo you were screwed, and (b) it's unreasonable to ask somebody to commit more than 4 hours (in a row) of their time to a video game. The fact that so many of the original NES games are well-loved to this day is a testimony for how challenge and lengthy trials isn't the be-all end-all of gaming.

(Not targeted at you specifically, dude! Just a rhetorical challenge + an invite for an actual debate-discussion. You raised the point, so I repartéed.)

And I am playing Devil's Advocate awfully badly right now as (I must admit) I really have enjoyed Mario Galaxy so far. It is one of the more fun games I've played on a Nintendo home console in a while.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 06:33 PM   #28
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

We enjoy a challenge because it makes a change from most of today's games. "Press Start to Play"!? What kind of softy nonsense is that? When I was your age to start a game you had to walk twenty miles uphill both ways to get started.

Superior Christmas Banner is Superior.
Also still looking for ref with brain, although not just now due to Tyranidos running in fear.
ZoraJolteon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:03 AM   #29
ajnrules
Boulder Badge

Haha. I know what you're talking about in terms of challenges, Talon. There were times in Galaxy where I just wanted to throw my Wiimote across the room and never touch the game again. Instead, I just went on explicit storms of curses but continued to play until I finally completed whatever I was struggling to do. The game certainly challenged me, but in no way did I feel I had fun. So I don't blame you for not wanting to die 100-300 times trying to get all 120 stars, because it may be a challenge, but it certainly isn't fun. But you should go for it if you ever have time.

However, platforming changed once Mario went to a 3D world. No longer are the goals to get to the end of a stage, but you actually have certain objectives that you have to accomplish. I think this change in the way platforming games are played could be a reason why power-ups became only temporary. You probably still hate Mario 64, and I'm probably just BSing this because I'm tired, but that's what I think.

And yes, I love the Nintendo DS too. I've probably put more hours into my DS than my Wii and my Gamecube combined. I have over 300 hours in Diamond alone.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:57 AM   #30
Another Fan
Boulder Badge

Huh. I dunno about you, but for me, the first four mario games are incredibly difficult. While, all 3D ones are incredibly easy. Always. So, if 3D ones had any more easy in them, it would barely be a game for most.

Fizzy Bubbles Information[/center:ac83b]
Another Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 01:52 AM   #31
deoxys
Fog Badge

I is it getting for xmas, can't wait ^^

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games