UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 02-18-2016, 12:17 AM   #1
satosere
Cascade Badge

Need help for getting new PKMN game!!!

Can anyone tell me there favorite Pokemon game? Or the one they enjoy the most and that they recommend for me? Because I'm probably going to purchase one before the 27th so I can play it that day. I already own HeartGold and Y. I'd love the help! Thanks in advance
Old 02-18-2016, 12:18 AM   #2
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
My favourite game is Red/Blue, but I would not recommend it. I still enjoy it as a game, but I think a big part of that is the nostalgia value.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 12:41 AM   #3
deoxys
Fog Badge

Vietnamese Crystal, you're welcome
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 03:32 AM   #4
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
White and White 2 are my favorites. Gen 5 was a good set of games imo.
Old 02-18-2016, 04:30 AM   #5
satosere
Cascade Badge

Yes I'm thinking about Black or White. I've heard it's pretty good. But my cousins and I were talking about Pokemon and one of them said that Ruby and Sapphire was the best one ever. So I'm still doing research!!!
Old 02-18-2016, 06:48 AM   #6
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
They are wrong. RS were decent apparently, but they had flaws. Also Hoenn as a region is possibly the worst one so far. 7.8/10 too much water.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:22 PM   #7
Kuvario
Mysterious Knight

Sato don't listen to Iron, he's frequently wrong with some exceptions. (jk Iron you're cool)

Anyways, I suggest getting the Unova games. They were pretty good and among my favorites...back when I still played them, at least. ORAS were decent enough, if you've never played RSE, I recommend them too. Other favorites include Colosseum/XD (they're Gamecube games though), and Platinum version.
Kuvario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 12:25 AM   #8
RealMrGame10
CAN'T BELIEVE KH3 IS HERE

I think it's difficult in the new generation of Pokemon fans to be able to go back and play old games because they seem so dated compared to the others. To that end, if you're looking for a relatively streamlined playing experience, all of the Unova games, but especially Black 2/White 2, are very solid, while X/Y probably are the most user-friendly to me. ORAS is pretty good as well, and I would recommend them over Ruby and Sapphire unless you're really willing to take a risk. The other thing is that it's very difficult to find legitimate copies of Ruby and Sapphire today, and you'd need either a Gameboy Adv or a DS lite. Platinum is a little bit dated, but still an excellent playing experience with really fun postgame stuff. My personal favorite is White 2, so play White!

WHEN YOU WALK AWAY

D- Ref on PASBL
(PASBL squad!)
Let's go WILD
I will battle for cheap

lol who knows
RealMrGame10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 12:49 AM   #9
satosere
Cascade Badge

I have a 3DS and a DSi. Will Black and White work on either of them?
Old 02-19-2016, 12:56 AM   #10
RealMrGame10

Black and White will work on any system DS or later, so yes.

WHEN YOU WALK AWAY

D- Ref on PASBL
(PASBL squad!)
Let's go WILD
I will battle for cheap

lol who knows
Old 02-19-2016, 02:52 AM   #11
satosere
Cascade Badge

Yaaaaaaaaay! I am almost sure I'm gonna get that. But Black OR White? Are there many differences?
Old 02-19-2016, 07:45 AM   #12
Kuvario
Mysterious Knight

Pick the one with the Legendary on the box you prefer. Black version has Drayden as the final Gym Leader and a more futuristic theme in certain areas (greenhouses in one town) while White has Iris instead, and a more historic theme in certain areas (traditional gardens in the same town). There are some Pokemon exclusive to each version as per usual, so just look that up on Bulbagarden or Serebii, and see which version has the Pokemon you prefer.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:05 PM   #13
Zelphon
Caffeinated

Send a message via Skype™ to Zelphon
Hoenn is best region

Zelphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:06 PM   #14
Kuvario
Mysterious Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelphon View Post
Hoenn is best region
Old 02-20-2016, 02:39 AM   #15
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Hey You Pikachu is the best Pokemon game.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:06 AM   #16
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Black/White 2 are probably objectively the best Pokémon games, but they don't work too well if you don't play Black/White.

I'm also a fan of Platinum and Crystal.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 09:58 AM   #17
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Me, I'd say she already has the two best games in franchise history. (HGSS and XY.) But BW2 is right up there, possibly in a three-way tie with the other two, possibly only a peg lower. It has the best rival, bar none, and arguably has the best story in the franchise as well. (HGSS is all kinds of fandom glorious though with it being a fellow sequel, like BW2, and with all the build-up to battling the living but reclusive legend that is Red.)

I agree that if she's to play BW2 though then she needs to play BW1 first.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:21 AM   #18
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I think a lot of people give HGSS a little too much credit on account of its connection with GSC, personally, but I know I'm generally in the minority here.

閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 02-21-2016, 10:36 AM   #19
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
I think a lot of people give HGSS a little too much credit on account of its connection with GSC, personally, but I know I'm generally in the minority here.
I'm the other way around though. Not saying you're wrong about the masses, don't really know, but for me personally GSC proper remain my #1 least favorite games in franchise history whereas HGSS, at the time of their release, were my #1 most favorite in franchise history. Overall I still preferred Gen 1 to Gens 2, 3, and 4, but if you separate out True Gen 2 (GSC) from New Gen 2 (HGSS), or what Bulbapedia aggravatingly insists on labeling as Gen 4.2 *sigh*, then HGSS came away as my No.1 favorite.

It's a lot like Wind Waker for me. Ocarina of Time is probably objectively the single best Zelda game of all time, but Wind Waker for me was an even more enjoyable experience because it was this wonderful, unexpected sequel -- and one with ample ladles of tragedy -- that stood on the shoulders of a giant and reached even higher. Like ... I think that classic metaphor is a really apt description here. OoT is the giant, WW only the man, yet WW stands on OoT's shoulders to reach a height not even OoT was able to reach. I think WW is a much more beautiful game than OoT, but it can't work without OoT.

Gen 2 is really similar in this regard. Objectively, it's a far inferior piece than Gen 1 in my opinion. Shittier map, less memorable gym leaders, the 100 new Pokémon were generally more disappointing than the original 151, same exact graphics and pretty much the same game engine, etc. Yet because of the narrative -- or more specifically, because of all that Gen 1 nostalgia! -- Gen 2 is able to reach a height that not even Gen 1 could reach. Gen 2 is really like ... "Gen 1.2," when you think about it. It is a true, blue, undeniable sequel to Gen 1. Tons of fun throwbacks with all the Red, TR, Bill, etc. references. The villains directly tie back in to the villains from Game 1. The Kansai foil to Kanto's Kantou beginnings. It's all just so very good and enjoyable.

As small of a gameplay feature as it is, HGSS really shines for me with all of those Easter egg scenes with the gym leaders (usually when you're registering their phone numbers for later battles). I especially love the ones where 2+ gym leaders are having a conversation together. Erika's and Jasmine's conversation in Celadon City ... Faulkner's and Janine's argument ... It's all such great, great fandom fuel. I love it.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 10:52 AM   #20
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I think we're using pretty different criteria to judge here. From a fan's standpoint, HGSS is definitely a standout, but it also has a lot of issues that it inherited from GSC (the really weird and low level curve, an empty and somewhat eventless Kanto, a pretty poor monster distribution) and recontextualizes them in the awkward growing phase that is Gen IV. I don't think it's objectively a very good Pokémon game, but it's a great game for people who are already fans of the series. For fans, it's the remake done right. The Kanto remakes were too conservative and ORAS was too heavy handed, but HGSS struck a chord that played the nostalgia card just right.

I mean ultimately this doesn't really matter if you're looking for a good experience. If you just want a fun game, HGSS is middle-to-high in the rankings, but as an objectively well-made Pokémon game, I think it falls short of the top.

閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Old 02-21-2016, 11:00 AM   #21
Kuvario
Mysterious Knight

To be honest I really don't like HGSS. The level curve is just so bad that I lose interest very fast whenever I replay it. The variety in Pokemon isn't even that good in Johto since Johto 'Mons like Sneasel are on Mt. Silver, bleh map design, etc.

Also yeah what Jeri said.
Old 02-21-2016, 06:58 PM   #22
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Relicanth

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha View Post
Hey You Pikachu is the best Pokemon game.
Snap tho.

Also Platinum's probably my favourite main series game. Should play through it again some time.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 08:21 PM   #23
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Also Platinum's probably my favourite main series game. Should play through it again some time.
I actually have just played through Platinum again lately, and it is pretty awesome. Team at the end was Empoleon, Kricketune, Lopunny, Togekiss, Rotom, and Toxicroak. Not sure whether my favorite would be Platinum, Black, or Black 2, though I think it's safe to say I can narrow it down to those three, with the Generation I games not far behind.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:24 PM   #24
RealMrGame10

My current list of the top few would probably go like:

BW2 > Platinum > XY > BW > ORAS > Emerald > DP > etc.

WHEN YOU WALK AWAY

D- Ref on PASBL
(PASBL squad!)
Let's go WILD
I will battle for cheap

lol who knows
Old 02-22-2016, 05:52 AM   #25
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
Gotta agree with the BW2 sentiments here.
Slash is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON