UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 03-31-2007, 02:33 PM   #1
Sylar
Cascade Badge

Send a message via AIM to Sylar Send a message via MSN to Sylar
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

That's right, the subject that strangely sparked Talon's interest in the FB TO has been regurgitated here. ;P

So, speculation? JK Rowling's said herself that "Harry has his father and mother's good looks. But he has his mother's eyes and that's very important in a future book." I don't know why, but that's the thing I find most intriguing about the next book. Oo; Is like, his mum living on in him or something? >>;

What are your opinions on this book then, people of UPN? :O
Old 03-31-2007, 02:48 PM   #2
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Re: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

It could just be that Harry's and Lily's eyes are both green. That alone has a lot of possible purposes, none of them more convincing than the rest. I guess the only two that come to my mind right now are:
- green is the color of Salazar Slytherin
- green is the color of Avada Kedavra
But I've heard others before, and they weren't any more convincing than these two.

Another possibility is that Rowling is going to reveal (in Book 7) that someone else has green eyes just like Harry and his mother, and that the eye color will be the tip-off that Harry is related to this character.

Another possibility is that Rowling is full of shit. :P :x (She's been known to do that before, i.e. with Book 6 and with speculation on Book 7.) Rowling seemed to be very initially surprised by all of the backlash she got over Severus Snape's actions in Book 6, and I can't help but wonder if Book 7 -- should it placate the fans by revealing that Snape was good after all and was acting in the best interests of Harry -- will be the result of Rowling shredding her original manuscript for 7 and starting from scratch. Of course, if the stupid bitch keeps Snape as a "right nasty git," then I guess she'll have proven to us once and for all that the Harry Potter books really are the epitome of "children's literature" where everything is black and white and human beings are never gray.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 02:58 PM   #3
Sylar
Cascade Badge

For the eyes thing I was thinking of Slytherin too, and then I watched Chamber of Secrets on TV today and in it Harry finds out he's a Parselmouth, and Hermione says he might be a descendant of Slytherin. Just for that alone I think it's too easy, even for Rowling. >> I hope it's something really wizard-ish and not just something mundane that could ACTUALLY happen in the real world. =\

Also! Anybody else think it'd be really awesome if Voldemort actually killed Harry and the whole series was just left on a Cliffhanger as to what Voldemort was to do next? xD It'd be kinda like the original Italian Job. ^^
Old 03-31-2007, 03:08 PM   #4
Kasumi Violet
Boulder Badge

Wow you sure have strong feelings about Harry Potter Talon. I'm guessing Snape had his reasons, honestly, it was obvious Dumbledore wasn't long for the world anyway (his injuries showing his mortality rather well early on in the book). I believe Snape will be redeemed, either that or else JKR doesn't understand how to properly use a red herring (which I doubt, given her training in classical literature).
Kasumi Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 03:11 PM   #5
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Way to ruin the original Italian Job for me. :P ;) (Seriously, though, I haven't seen it. )

It's certainly mundane enough that "the old Rowling" would have thrown it out in Book 2. But I think "the new Rowling" is too hard-pressed for ideas and she tries to make every aspect of her newest books (5, 6, 7) sound like the most complicated conspiracy-theory mysteries ever. And frankly, they're not and never had to be to make the stories good. She's a runaway train with a "must ... lay ... easter eggs ... all over ... the lawn " mentality. Nobody gives a shit that the first letter on Page 202 of Book 7 is the same as the first letter on page 202 of Book 1 ("like, oh my god!"). Grrrrrrr.

Yeah, I still haven't forgiven Rowling for what she did with Snape in Book 6. The book was so damn good up until Dumbledore drank the juice in the cave and then felt queasy. That was so friggin' lame. "Most powerful wizard in the world ....... can't even conjure up a simple Vomiting Potion."
Old 03-31-2007, 03:27 PM   #6
Sylar
Cascade Badge

Yeah, Rowling does have a tendency to go OTT. Especially in the OotP. My God, that book had so much unneeded stuff in it, it was laughable. As a skilled author, she should know when to stop. >> I mean, most scenes with Umbridge were a total bore. Example, the detention scenes. She put in about 6 when 2 would have been enough. =\

Also, just remembered, anybody here actually think R.A.B is Regulus Black? I, for one, do not. >> Even though so much evidence is pointed towards it, it's kinda obvious now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R.A.B
Old 03-31-2007, 03:36 PM   #7
Talon87
時の彼方へ

R.A.B. is nothing more than Rowling being fucking retarded (yet again), trying to claim she's planted an Easter Egg for the hardcore fans.
Old 03-31-2007, 03:52 PM   #8
Kasumi Violet
Boulder Badge

I think the problem might be that she's trying to write for two audiences, children and adults/teenagers. The children want easy to follow stuff, and the teens and adult want something mentally stimulating, something with hidden clues and hints. Although most teens seem to be happy with Snape and the 'shipping wars... And I do agree OotP was a horrible book (it was the first HP book I read), and could've probably been cut down a bit (although you never know, something tells me DH is going to tie up a heck of a lot of loose ends). I do have some faith in JKR's writing ability, I do admire how she's writing the book according to classical form, where the hero is strip of his parents/mentors etc before facing the bad guy.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:17 PM   #9
GrJackass
Night Man

look i dont care what happens, i do have faith that the author wont dissapoint and i do believe shes gonna focus more on the adult readers for the main plot, the kids have the movies and the whole expected hermoine and ron get together and whatnot
all i want (if this really is the last book and nothing new will pop up a decade later) is a recap of everyone's lives in the future at the end of the book. yes, i want a animal house ending "and senetor blutofsky went on...."

and knowing rowling i guarantee that either harry, ron or hermoinie will die in this next book
probably multiple. most probably ron and harry will die in a self sacrificing way, most probably potter because it still allows for a somewhat happy ending

but it can be truly fucked up and ron and hermoinie die and even though voldermort's plan was defeated or dies, harry is just a broken man, tokyo babylon style

my wager is that two of them die. and im not trying to be an ass, i truly believe thats how its gonna play out

”Fee, fie, foe, fum the End are Near at thou Bobbum. Time me open Bobbum Van trunk, for ruin Bobbum wif Equipmunk.”
GrJackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 04:31 PM   #10
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I think anyone who says they don't think Harry will die, if he ends up not dying, is a truly skilled guesser. Because frankly, as far as I'm concerned, Rowling told us that Harry was going to die several books back (either 4 or 5) when the issue was raised that Voldemort could not die so long as Harry was alive. Duh-hurrrrrrrr, that means the only way to kill Voldemort is for Harry to sacrifice himself. In fact, Harry killing himself could very well be the way in which Voldemort *POOF!* vanishes into smoke and is seen no more.

Think about it. "The one thing Voldemort cannot understand is love," said Dumbledore. I'd beg to differ. If I had to choose one (and only one) thing to claim Voldemort couldn't understand, I wouldn't choose love. I'd choose "a willingness to die for the greater good." Voldemort is above all else determined to live; thus, the thing which would stupefy him the most would be Harry being willing to die. Voldemort is banking on all men's desire to live for his very existence; the threat of Avada Kedavra is meaningless when people, like Dumbledore, are willing to die for a greater good.

So yeah. Let's stop all this "I predict Harry will die :3" talk because not a single one of us is brilliant or original in this line of thinking. I repeat, the person to whom I will give IntelliCookies this summer is the person who says today "I know Harry won't die" (and really means it) and is then proven correct come summertime.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:40 PM   #11
Lunar Delta
Cascade Badge

Send a message via AIM to Lunar Delta

Quote:
Rowling told us that Harry was going to die several books back (either 4 or 5) when the issue was raised that Voldemort could not die so long as Harry was alive.
I believe what was said was "...AND EITHER MUST DIE AT THE HAND OF THE OTHER FOR NEITHER CAN LIVE WHILE THE OTHER SURVIVES..."

Meaning there is not enough room in the world for both of them, and one has to kill the other.

Also, OOTP is my favorite book so far.

Quote:
The book was so damn good up until Dumbledore drank the juice in the cave and then felt queasy. That was so friggin' lame. "Most powerful wizard in the world ....... can't even conjure up a simple Vomiting Potion."
What a load of crap. He's powerful, not omnipotent. Whatever he drank must've contained some truly colossal evil, even too evil for him to withstand.
Lunar Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 04:41 PM   #12
GrJackass
Night Man

thats a long way to go just to say "way to go with the obvious there GR"

first off, i had no idea that if potter died voldimort died
second i just read the god damn books, i dont listen to every fucking word the author says

and my guess was that 2 out of the 3 of them would die, LEANING on harry to be one of them and offering the alternatives, theres a really good chance its going to end tokyo baylon style by killing off hermoinie and ron in an identical way as his parents died

also if voldimort dies, i really hope all the people who were killed by him DONT come back as star wars spirits like in the tri-wizard tournament
EDIT: HOLY JESUS i forgot to write the dont in that sentence

”Fee, fie, foe, fum the End are Near at thou Bobbum. Time me open Bobbum Van trunk, for ruin Bobbum wif Equipmunk.”
Old 03-31-2007, 04:44 PM   #13
Kasumi Violet
Boulder Badge

JKR has said numerous times that she's not killing Harry in book 7. I believe in OotP it said in a prophecy that neither Harry nor Vold-y shall live while the other lives (IE they have to fight each other for their own survival)
Here's the quote
Quote:
"The One with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches...Born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies....and the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not...and either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives...The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord will be born as the seventh month dies..."
Old 03-31-2007, 04:45 PM   #14
GrJackass
Night Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek
Quote:
Rowling told us that Harry was going to die several books back (either 4 or 5) when the issue was raised that Voldemort could not die so long as Harry was alive.
I believe what was said was "...AND EITHER MUST DIE AT THE HAND OF THE OTHER FOR NEITHER CAN LIVE WHILE THE OTHER SURVIVES..."

Meaning there is not enough room in the world for both of them, and one of them has to go.

Also, OOTP is my favorite book so far.

thats better, i dont want no demona & mcbeth thing going on

speaking of gargoyles did anyone else notice that the sci-fi channel took and episode of gargoyles, the one where they met griff in 1940's england, and turned it into a made for tv movie?

edit: jesus everyone came up with that quote amazingly fast

Old 03-31-2007, 04:57 PM   #15
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek
That's the problem though. Both are alive simultaneously. Their existence is already a paradox defying that omen. "Neither can live while the other survives ..." well shoot, they're both alive . (This is one example of many where Rowling reveals her inexperience in "deep writing.") By definition, if two men have been alive for THREE YEARS NOW (if you don't want to argue "the full 16 and a half" since technically Voldemort didn't die 16 and a half years ago, either), then their existence is a paradox defying the natural order of the world.

So ... the way I see it, it's impossible to kill one without killing the other. Because according to the omen, only one should be alive right now anyway, that is to say, only one can be alive at any given point in the timeline of the universe. Yet since both are alive, it looks like the only way to deal with this is to kill both off. If you try to kill one off and not the other, they will both continue to live, however maimed and weakened they may be.

I think that's the one criticism Rowling will probably get from the LOTR camp once her 7th book hits store shelves: "your idea of killing Harry in order to kill Voldemort is sooooo stolen from Tolkien's idea of having to destroy the Ring in order to destroy Sauron." Shrug. Maybe she can truly claim ignorance of that plot device? Even if she can't, maybe she can point out that there's almost no such thing anymore as "a new plot twist in English literature" and only new ways to tell the same old stories?

============================================

In response to KV about "Rowling says she won't kill Harry," pfft. Rowling says a lot of things. She's a "confusion-mongerer" which is one reason I have trouble liking her. Half of the things she says suggest he'll live, the other half suggest that you shouldn't assume he'll live.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowling, paraphrased, suggesting Harry lives
Who would I invite to a dinner party? Hmm, let's see ... Harry, Ron, Hermione ....... and I'd invite-- oh! Almost forgot, you guys don't know who's dead and who isn't by the end of the series!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowling, paraphrased, pseudosuggesting Harry may not live
Why do you all keep asking about Harry's adventures at Uni? Seriously. Who's to say he doesn't die in the next book?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowling, paraphrased, more seriously suggesting Harry dies
You have to make sacrifices in the fight against evil. If that's one thing Harry's parents taught us, it's that you must give up your life sometimes to protect the people you love. And nobody knows that better than Harry.
These three quotes are all squabbling at each other. #1 suggests he lives. #2 pseudo-suggests he dies and more realistically suggests he lives. But #3 super-duper lays it on thick that she's suggesting he dies. So, as far as I'm concerned, you can't trust Rowling worth a damn at her book conference interviews. All you can trust is what seems logical and what she is contract-bound to fulfill (in a sense) based on the immutable text in the previous six novels.

Frankly, the book would be way too cheesy if Harry lived happily ever after conquering Voldemort but did not become a Hogwarts professor or headmaster (confirmed). In fact, if he does live, I'm afraid to even ask what Rowling might do to him. -_-; Something like this, perhaps?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary possible ending she'd stupidly write
And the scar faded from Harry's forehead. With it faded his memories of the last seven years and all of his magical powers. Harry, the son of James and Lily Potter, was now Harry Potter the Squib. Powerless and without his memories, he became a normal human being and lived out the rest of his dies in a quiet town on the outskirts of London. The end.
*blech*
Old 03-31-2007, 05:03 PM   #16
Lunar Delta
Cascade Badge

Send a message via AIM to Lunar Delta

Quote:
That's the problem though. Both are alive simultaneously. Their existence is already a paradox defying that omen. "Neither can live while the other survives ..." well shoot, they're both alive. (This is one example of many where Rowling reveals her inexperience in "deep writing.") By definition, if two men have been alive for THREE YEARS NOW (if you don't want to argue "the full 16 and a half" since technically Voldemort didn't die 16 and a half years ago, either), then their existence is a paradox defying the natural order of the world.

So ... the way I see it, it's impossible to kill one without killing the other. Because according to the omen, only one should be alive right now anyway, that is to say, only one can be alive at any given point in the timeline of the universe. Yet since both are alive, it looks like the only way to deal with this is to kill both off. If you try to kill one off and not the other, they will both continue to live, however maimed and weakened they may be.
I think you're reading into it and taking it far too literally. The way I see it, it means when both of them are alive, it creates problems, a kind of "imbalance" (in the force?), that has to be remedied by the death of one of them. It doesn't literally that only one of them can be alive at once.
Lunar Delta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 05:04 PM   #17
Kasumi Violet
Boulder Badge

JKR has said flat out that she won't kill Harry, I don't mean that she hinted that he wouldn't die, she out and out said he wouldn't die (I can dig up the quote if you don't believe me).

RE: how the book ends, she's said numerous times that the last word in the book is "scar" and that she's had the last chapter written for a while.
Old 03-31-2007, 05:22 PM   #18
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Outdated. Newer interviews with Rowling reveal that she wants the fans to know she reserves the right to completely scrap the last chapter "given developments surrounding book 6." So, yeah. You have to remember, Rowling originally intended for somebody to die in Book 6 who did not (presumably Draco). She's already made changes to her books that greatly contrast with interviews given much earlier in the series. It wouldn't surprise me at all if the final chapter is radically different but still ends with "scar" for the sake of fooling people.
Old 03-31-2007, 05:32 PM   #19
GrJackass
Night Man

i respect JKR in how she completely confused the general public, she gives them answers to shuts them up and clearly states that she may or may not oblige by what she stated. brilliant.

seems like i did the right thing by not caring at all about what she says outside of her books

Old 03-31-2007, 05:40 PM   #20
Sylar
Cascade Badge

Talon, I truly believe Harry won't die.

Reasons:
#1: The last word is supposedly "scar". The only way he could die and have this be the last word is if he's in his coffin and somebody who's looking at him says "Look, he still has/doesn't have his scar." I see that as highly unlikely, and very anti-climactic. xfd
#2: When asked who she'd invite to dinner, JKR said Harry, Ron and Hermy. Only AFTER that did she say "I know who's dead", not sure if she could invite the dead. So if she wasn't sure there, she wouldn't have answered Harry first.
#3: Pettigrew owes Harry a life debt. So, imo, Pettigrew will sacrifice himself, redeeming himself in the process, to save Harry, and nullify the debt.
#4: JKR's joked about killing him off a load of times. IMO, for her to joke about it, then have it happen, would be kind of disheartening for the kids, as if it's not this big emotional thing, and she can laugh about it.
#5: JKR's said: "One character got a reprieve, but I have to say two die that I didn't intend to die...A price has to be paid. We are dealing with pure evil...They go for the main characters... well, I do". So we can assume, ONLY 2 main characters die. Main characters could mean anybody who's appeared in all the books. Including the Dursleys. I'm thinking Petunia may be one to go. :o Probably a man to go with it to, so I'd say...Lupin? He's been in...3 books? Main character or not? I kinda want him to die fighting Fenrir Greyback.

That's all for now, more later. >>; Also, that last one kinda didn't make sense, but I'm happy with the other 4. ^^
Old 03-31-2007, 06:57 PM   #21
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

In truth, Dumbledore is alive and Snape killed his clone to throw everyone off. And to defeat Voldemort, Harry must devote his life to the teachings of Buddha, where he and the Dalai Lama will chant the great spell to summon the legendary Dark Magician to banish him to the Shadow Realm.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 09:55 AM   #22
Sylar
Cascade Badge

Huh dead thread.

Out of all other theories...I think I like Loki's the best. xfd
Old 04-07-2007, 11:11 AM   #23
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylar
Huh dead thread.

Out of all other theories...I think I like Loki's the best. xfd
Everyone knows my theory is infallible, so they stopped talking about it.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc