UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 02-08-2012, 06:16 PM   #301
Handymankg2
It's the yearly visit!

Send a message via AIM to Handymankg2 Send a message via MSN to Handymankg2 Send a message via Skype™ to Handymankg2
Watched 'Chronicle' yesterday. Was really good stuff, glad I bothered to watch it in the cinema rather than waiting for dvd release. Good for those who liked cloverfield or just those who like superheroes.

Going to see Woman in Black and Star Wars: The Phantom Menace (3D) over the next week. The former I saw on stage and am going to see with a few people who were mentally scarred by seeing it performed, so it should be a fun experience. The latter, I've obviously seen before but the 3D remastering looks pretty darn special. Will report back.
Handymankg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:20 AM   #302
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handymankg2 View Post
Watched 'Chronicle' yesterday. Was really good stuff, glad I bothered to watch it in the cinema rather than waiting for dvd release. Good for those who liked cloverfield or just those who like superheroes.
Seconding this. I just got back from it, really good movie. A few cliches, but the movie more than makes up for it. I highly recommend it.

Note: It is done similarly to Cloverfield, but the cameras aren't always as shaky, annoying, or vomit inducing, although there are a few scenes like that.

Basically: If you like decent character development, and you like action or hero type movies, go see Chronicle.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:52 AM   #303
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor Jesus View Post
Watched the Norwegian movie Troll Hunter, which was really good for a mockumentary. Also makes me glad I'm an atheist.
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
V. A. Musetto of the New York Post gave it three stars out of four and cautioned, "You'll want to catch this clever movie before Hollywood ruins everything with a dumb remake."
A bit lower down,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
The day the film opened in the United States, Deadline.com announced that director Chris Columbus's company, 1492, along with CJ Entertainment & Media had acquired remake rights to the film.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:01 AM   #304
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

What's the lol for?
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:20 AM   #305
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I saw what you did there, but got so much more.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:49 PM   #306
Soulmaster
Pokemon Trainer

I watched all six Star Wars a few weekends ago for the first time and yes they were all great
Soulmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 01:52 PM   #307
TheNthDoctor
Boulder Badge

Finally saw The A-Team the other day. All i can say is "i love it when a plan comes together"

@soulmaster
Glad you liked Star Wars. i still feel the prequels are inferior to the original trilogy but that is only my opinion. i am hoping you saw ROTJ without the "NOOOOO" added in.
TheNthDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 03:19 PM   #308
Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulmaster View Post
I watched all six Star Wars a few weekends ago for the first time and yes the original three and not the prequels were all great
Corrected you.

Actually, a more serious thing: Did you watch it from Episode 1-6 or did you watch it in the release order, 4-6 => 1-3?
Old 02-19-2012, 06:55 PM   #309
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Quote:
Corrected you.

Actually, a more serious thing: Did you watch it from Episode 1-6 or did you watch it in the release order, 4-6 => 1-3?
Have you ever watched them 1 -> 6, Loki? I've seen the movies at least 30 times, but never watched the saga chronologically, only in order of release.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 11:05 PM   #310
Loki

Well, it's not really possible to watch them story chronologically for me since I already saw the first three prior to the prequel three.

The reason I ask is because he said this was his first time. Watching stuff from 4->5->6 was a big deal because of the ending of Empire Strikes Back. But by watching the prequels first, it kind of ruins the whole secret. So I wonder how people actually watch the series and how they might feel about it.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:34 PM   #311
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Ohhhhh yeah, that's right. I'm of the opinion that if someone is forced to watch the prequels first, they might not be able to suffer their way to A New Hope and beyond.

I didn't even conceive of it as possible that someone could watch Episode 1 as their first Star Wars movie.. it seems so wrong.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:01 AM   #312
Talon87
時の彼方へ

It really depends on the franchise. With Star Wars or with Fate/stay night, you really have to watch things in the order they came out rather than watching them in their in-universe chronological order. But with other things like the Lord of the Rings universe or the Chronicles of Narnia, you're okay reading some of those out of order. (Like The Hobbit, which you can read before -or- after LotR. Or like The Magician's Nephew, which you can read before -or- after The Lion, the Witch, & the Wardrobe.)
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:04 AM   #313
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

I dunno, I'd say that the order to read Tolkien is pretty much Hobbit -> LotR -> Silmarillion. Otherwise, you miss a lot of stuff.

Agreed on Narnia, though. Within a certain degree of reasonableness, of course.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:51 AM   #314
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amras.MG View Post
I dunno, I'd say that the order to read Tolkien is pretty much Hobbit -> LotR -> Silmarillion. Otherwise, you miss a lot of stuff.

Agreed on Narnia, though. Within a certain degree of reasonableness, of course.
I think the two are very comparable.

(Jesus, this became a long post. Apologies.)

No actual spoilers inside. Just spoiler-boxing this so it doesn't take up so much space.

Spoiler: show
Tolkien:
You're perfectly okay reading LotR first, wherein Bilbo's adventure is referred to on occasion and you're tantalized with some of the details of it, and to the read The Hobbit second, wherein you bear witness to Bilbo's adventure. Do it this way, and your mentality will probably be "LotR, base; Hobbit, prequel." You could also read The Hobbit first and then read LotR second. Do it that way and your mentality will probably be "Hobbit, first; LotR, second." Either way works. Tolkien may have written The Hobbit first, but honestly, no one is missing out on "the ideal experience" for having seen the LotR movies first and then not touching The Hobbit until afterwards.

As you point out, the Silmarillion has to come dead last. But that's because, even if it is sort of the penultimate prequel, it's (1) encyclopedic and (2) emotionally valuable only if/because you've gotten to know the characters in LotR whom all these backstory events in Silmarillion will affect.

C.S. Lewis:
As with Tolkien, certain books have to be read after certain others. For instance, it would be frown-inducing if you read Prince Caspian before reading The Lion, the Witch, & the Wardrobe. But it would be downright stupid if someone were to read The Voyage of the Dawn Treader first. And it would be madness if someone were to start off with The Last Battle.

However, also as with Tolkien, one need not necessarily read the books in their real-world chronological order (i.e. by publishing dates) in all cases. One can easily read them in their in-universe chronological order. In fact, that's my personal preferred way to tackle the series. Start with The Magician's Nephew, then read LionWitchWardrobe (tired of typing that infernal title ), then read A Horse and His Boy, then Prince Caspian, then Voyage of the Dawn Treader, then The Silver Chair, and finally The Last Battle. Of course, you're free to also read them in publishing order, starting with LionWitchWardrobe and ending with The Last Battle.

Star Wars:
Like Loki's pointed out, watching Episodes 1-3 before 4-6 is pretty ruinous for a lot of the mystery and surprises of 4-6. For instance, in 4-6, the Jedi are so rare that it's very exciting to see them. That's precisely why, in 1-3, we got Jedi overload: because Lucas could justify in-universe having more Jedi and of course fans had been screaming at him for more Jedi for decades. Do it in reverse and it makes for a drab, boring affair: you go from 1-3, where Jedi are common, to 4-6, where the only Jedi are a washed-up old man, a washed-up little green gremlin, and a farm boy who's still learning. (I'm kidding with the harshness, but you know what I'm saying.)

It gets worse with Anakin Skywalker's backstory. That's totally meant to be experienced in 4-5-6-1-2-3 order, not in 1-2-3-4-5-6 or any other order.

It gets even worse when you consider just how many assumptions 1-3 place upon the viewer about information that was already explained in 4-6. For instance, what are those light swords? Ben Kenobi explains this immediately in Episode 4, but in Episode 1, *FZHOONG!* there they are, being used automatically. What about when they push people around without touching them? What's that all about? Well, in Episodes 4 and 5, they do a pretty good of explaining what the nebulous "Force" is. You don't get the Yoda speech about the Force in Episode 1 because it's assumed you've already heard it a million times in Episode 5. So on and so on and so forth.

Fate/stay night:
Would go into more details here but anyone who knows what FSN anf F/Z even are needs no explanation while anyone else probably doesn't care. Suffice to say, it's a similar set of arguments to Star Wars': the prequel spoils some surprises from the original and the prequel also doesn't bother explaining a great many things about the setting and the characters because those things were all thoroughly explained in the original.

Last edited by Talon87; 02-21-2012 at 12:53 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:56 AM   #315
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

I agree with everything you are saying... except about the Hobbit. If you read LotR before you read the Hobbit, then there isn't really any reason to read the Hobbit at all. The major plot points are covered, and all the secrets of the Hobbit are revealed - and most of them are revealed in a single chapter, at the Council of Elrond when they recount the history of the Ring. The reader is supposed to have a respect for the Council, a fondness for Bilbo, a sense of dread concerning his lie and the Ring, and an awe for the interconnectedness of Tolkien's universe before he reads LotR.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:30 AM   #316
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amras.MG View Post
I agree with everything you are saying... except about the Hobbit. If you read LotR before you read the Hobbit, then there isn't really any reason to read the Hobbit at all.
Apart from The Hobbit being the best book in the series, you mean.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #317
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Well, Lord of the Rings is the best book in the series. The Hobbit is charming but is not as substantial.

I still read the Hobbit even though I've read LotR, I'm just saying that if I were to recommend reading the books to someone, I would always suggest starting off with the Hobbit, and then going to LotR. And then if they loved it, they should read the Silmarillion. From a purely plot perspective, LotR completely covers the Hobbit.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:21 PM   #318
TheNthDoctor
Boulder Badge

Quote:
Well, it's not really possible to watch them story chronologically for me since I already saw the first three prior to the prequel three.

The reason I ask is because he said this was his first time. Watching stuff from 4->5->6 was a big deal because of the ending of Empire Strikes Back. But by watching the prequels first, it kind of ruins the whole secret. So I wonder how people actually watch the series and how they might feel about it.
Just as with you, i saw the original trilogy first then the prequel trilogy. In fact, i remember sitting on my mom's lap staring at the screen not moving when Star Wars came out...on my 6th birthday (yes the original movie and i share the same birthday and i just dated myself there). And then when the Special Editions come out in 1997 i was amazed again...then the prequels came out a couple years later

And you are right the prequels do indeed ruin the ending of Empire Strikes Back. i truly wonder what Lucas was thinking when he did the prequels.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:46 PM   #319
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Wait ... 1971? Really? That's pretty awesome if true. The only other possibility I can think of is that you're referring to when it came out on VHS remastered (pre-Lucas editing shit in) which iirc was ... 1995? Or perhaps you're referring to the original VHSes (non-remastered) which ... iirc came out some time in the late '80s. (I remember the video rental store had them no later than 1991, so, they must have already been out by then.) But yeah. If you mean you saw it in theaters in '77, then that's pretty rad.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:18 PM   #320
TheNthDoctor
Boulder Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Wait ... 1971? Really? That's pretty awesome if true. The only other possibility I can think of is that you're referring to when it came out on VHS remastered (pre-Lucas editing shit in) which iirc was ... 1995? Or perhaps you're referring to the original VHSes (non-remastered) which ... iirc came out some time in the late '80s. (I remember the video rental store had them no later than 1991, so, they must have already been out by then.) But yeah. If you mean you saw it in theaters in '77, then that's pretty rad.
i was born in 1971 and saw the non remastered original on its release date May 25th, 1977...my bday
Old 02-22-2012, 07:03 PM   #321
Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nth Doctor
i truly wonder what Lucas was thinking when he did the prequels.
Those same old action figures of Luke, Han, and Leia just don't sell as well as they used to. Let's make young Yoda! And Samuel L. Jackson! And baby Boba Fett!
Old 02-25-2012, 01:54 PM   #322
Emp
Volcano Badge

I watched "the Muppets". I was a pretty big fan of the old muppet movies like “The Muppets take Manhatten” and “The Muppets Christmas Carol”, so I wasn’t expecting much of one starring Jason Segal – boy was I wrong. The film has its emotional highs and lows, I nearly shed a tear once or twice. The film doesn’t take any liberties, the whole style of humour and storytelling is a real homage to the original muppet movies and really does Jim Henson proud. Its relationship to the original films is a lot similar to Toy Story 3 and its predecessors. If you haven’t seen it yet, I’d suggest giving it a look. My only criticism is Miss. Piggy's voice, I preferred her old voice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Was turned off by "Faaaart shoes! " in the TV commercial.
Bad marketing. Fozzy pitches the idea of using them once, which doesn't go off well.

FB PASBL TL 4

26-4-0 KO74 TP208
B Ref SP 2

Emp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:19 PM   #323
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Recently saw 50/50 starring Seth Rogen and Joseph Gordon Levitt.

I really liked it, and especially liked it more than I thought I would. It's too touching and not lightheartedly comic enough for me to buy, but I'd strongly recommend it to anyone.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:44 AM   #324
TheNthDoctor
Boulder Badge

Finally saw Cloverfield last week. That was an interesting movie that i ended up enjoying.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:18 PM   #325
XanderKetsu
Rainbow Badge

Send a message via AIM to XanderKetsu Send a message via Skype™ to XanderKetsu
Saw it a couple of weeks ago, but I did see Chronicle. Great movie, IMO.

DAMMIT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Char View Post
Or...do you?
XanderKetsu is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment