UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2016, 10:22 PM   #4501
Heather
Gay Dragon Rider
 
Heather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Under the Gay Cloud
Posts: 2,960
This guy had me beat when he forfeited for whatever reason, but the point here is-oh how momentum can 180 on a dime!

Admittedly I had my share of misplays in this match (Flamethrower when Spacial Rend would have KOed? I was feeling too sassy and it bit me hard), but it should be a spectacle.

Heavy's Last Stand (OU, 49 Turns)

In which Engie ALMOST takes the solo 6-0 but gets dicked by Quick Claw Dragalge (Monotype, 10 Turns)

After several forfeitures on both sides of the coin, finally this team brings home a real win for UU! (UU, 22 Turns)
Spoiler: show
My words at the end: "YOUR BEE SHALL NOT EXCEED MY BEE!"


The fight of Bee's life (I had Ninja Gaiden 4-2 theme playing as this went on) (UU, 27 Turns)

Want to watch me flub my Spanish while Battling? Here you go! (UU, 29 Turns)
I considered emailing this to my Spanish teacher saying "Hey look I was able to carry a facsimile of a Spanish conversation!" Then I remembered I was using a Mega Beedrill named BEES MOTHERF***ER and quickly decided it was a bad idea.

All it took was Zebra going down, then I was golden. (NU, 30 Turns)

Squidward takes it in (NU, 17 turns)

It's probably time to address how much trouble we get from Swellow (NU, 18 Turns)

Ever wonder "just what the fuck is Treebeard supposed to do?" Behold: Treebeard does his job juuuuuust right (not even needing his Berry!). (NU, 31 Turns)
__________________
Confidence (Some Assembly Required): Because NQNH's save file is now RIP
Spoiler: show

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Mint Earhart

Last edited by Heather; 10-22-2016 at 04:42 PM.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 05:59 PM   #4502
Heather
Gay Dragon Rider
 
Heather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Under the Gay Cloud
Posts: 2,960
Sorry to multipost but this has to be brought to someone's attention: In which my opponent is so bad that a lucky Zen Headbut miss and I just won an Anything Goes match with an unironic PU team what the fuck. (Anything Goes, 24 Turns)

He couldnt even mega Evolve Charizard at the end and dear christ who the fuck runs a mixed Mega Zard???

Engie's perfect victory (Anything Goes, 7 Turns)
__________________
Confidence (Some Assembly Required): Because NQNH's save file is now RIP
Spoiler: show

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Mint Earhart

Last edited by Heather; 10-22-2016 at 07:20 PM.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:21 PM   #4503
DaisyInari
Day-sy and Night Owl
 
DaisyInari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Between Sarasaland and Hyrule
Posts: 2,267
Send a message via MSN to DaisyInari
Altaria

With a little bit of luck, you too can turn a 2-6 to a 2-0!
__________________

Hi, I'm Daisy!

Spoiler: show
W(DQ)- 22(3) L(DQ)-14(0)
KO-55
TP-131 SP- 64.5/96.5 (5SP to Deh, 5SP to FW, 5SP to Desert Spirit, 8.5SP to Fallen Icarus, 10SP to Kyro12, 8SP to Charminions, 10 to aposteriori)
SHUCKS I GOTTA FIX THIS SOMETIME
~TL3~

~Fizzy Bubbles~


Credits to Charm for making this!


Come, my birdies!!!! Mwahahahaha!!!!!!


Thanks Pingu for being so nice and making me this~


Credit to TheKnightsFury for the sprite!

Fear my abnormally large signature~

Be Positive Ref~ I <3 you, Lonely Cubone and those who eval'd me~
DaisyInari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 10:51 PM   #4504
Eliteknight
Tommy used to work...
 
Eliteknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,220
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ra...ttle-466542033

didnt expect that to happen
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Miror
EK keeping up his streak of being the scummiest motherfucker to ever grace mafia games regardless of his actual alignment
Spoiler: show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
Well I don't know I wanted to deal damage and Starmie is inorganic :X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
Starmie is a starfish, it is not inorganic :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
Kush I'm TL1. How am I supposed to know things if you don't tell me them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
It's a starfish.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
I have 1 SP. Retroactively claiming the SP tax on all the things I did whilst LO.

I now have 1 SP.
Eliteknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 11:46 AM   #4505
lilbluecorsola
Additional Memory
 
lilbluecorsola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Searching for the end of summer
Posts: 4,675
Lil' Bluey

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ra...ttle-466787597

Not sure why this guy forfeited tbh. His Venasaur + Throh combo had me on my toes and he probably could've stalled his way to victory (especially since I had limited uses of FIRE BLAST I was trying to conserve). *shrug*
lilbluecorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:29 PM   #4506
Chiko
Chiko Chiko Chi
 
Chiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: To the world, to the world, to the world, to the world where you live
Posts: 1,829
Lady Luck is a weird mistress.
(Randbats, 31 turns.)

The title I gave says it all.
__________________
PASBL
TL4/B Ref
WF Updater
Amethyst/Chieri
FB - Chiko
Chiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 10:46 PM   #4507
Heather
Gay Dragon Rider
 
Heather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Under the Gay Cloud
Posts: 2,960
This guy made one too many quips, so I trans-Ammed him into oblivion. (Balanced Hackmons, 26 Turns)
__________________
Confidence (Some Assembly Required): Because NQNH's save file is now RIP
Spoiler: show

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Mint Earhart
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 02:43 PM   #4508
DaisyInari
Day-sy and Night Owl
 
DaisyInari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Between Sarasaland and Hyrule
Posts: 2,267
Send a message via MSN to DaisyInari
Altaria

MACHAMP COMING IN CLUTCH
__________________

Hi, I'm Daisy!

Spoiler: show
W(DQ)- 22(3) L(DQ)-14(0)
KO-55
TP-131 SP- 64.5/96.5 (5SP to Deh, 5SP to FW, 5SP to Desert Spirit, 8.5SP to Fallen Icarus, 10SP to Kyro12, 8SP to Charminions, 10 to aposteriori)
SHUCKS I GOTTA FIX THIS SOMETIME
~TL3~

~Fizzy Bubbles~


Credits to Charm for making this!


Come, my birdies!!!! Mwahahahaha!!!!!!


Thanks Pingu for being so nice and making me this~


Credit to TheKnightsFury for the sprite!

Fear my abnormally large signature~

Be Positive Ref~ I <3 you, Lonely Cubone and those who eval'd me~
DaisyInari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 02:53 PM   #4509
Talon87
Nebby. Back into the bag.
 
Talon87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Lafayette, Indiana
Posts: 20,424
Send a message via AIM to Talon87
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyInari View Post
WOW.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 03:10 PM   #4510
Emi
The Cutest Tsarina
 
Emi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 11,372
Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Fairly certain you've committed a crime there.
Emi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 04:54 PM   #4511
Firewater
Volcano Badge
 
Firewater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,727
Send a message via Skype™ to Firewater
Celesteela carries a terrible situation.


2 things i've noticed in Gen 7 things (I'm currently 2-0 with this shitty team, needs more testing).

1. I like it (gen 7 OU) so far, even if it's kinda ridiculous and some things are gonna get banned without proper tests again.

2. Someone give me a really, really fucking good Celesteela and I'll be your best friend forever.

3. My team is ass, yes I know- but i really love Toucannon when it doesn't get 1 shot.

4. I def fucked up everything with that Zygarde- it shouldn't have killed 1/2 of my team lol.
__________________
PASBL: Record: 61-55-8, 361.5 TP, 174 KO, 2.5 SP, Trainer Level 5
My ASB pokes
Firewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 03:57 PM   #4512
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ
 
Jerichi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: 蒸気の波の中
Posts: 14,762
Been trying some VGC 2017. This has been my most interesting win thus far, especially considering I meant to go for Raichu-A over Poli (this team is interesting; still working out some kinks).
__________________


私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 08:41 PM   #4513
DaisyInari
Day-sy and Night Owl
 
DaisyInari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Between Sarasaland and Hyrule
Posts: 2,267
Send a message via MSN to DaisyInari
Altaria

A very dodgy Leavanny makes this one of the most ass-pulling games I've ever had

Spoiler warning for one sun/moon pokemon, though it doesn't spoil anything storywise and you don't see any moves or abilities since it dies before it gets a chance to do anything xd;
__________________

Hi, I'm Daisy!

Spoiler: show
W(DQ)- 22(3) L(DQ)-14(0)
KO-55
TP-131 SP- 64.5/96.5 (5SP to Deh, 5SP to FW, 5SP to Desert Spirit, 8.5SP to Fallen Icarus, 10SP to Kyro12, 8SP to Charminions, 10 to aposteriori)
SHUCKS I GOTTA FIX THIS SOMETIME
~TL3~

~Fizzy Bubbles~


Credits to Charm for making this!


Come, my birdies!!!! Mwahahahaha!!!!!!


Thanks Pingu for being so nice and making me this~


Credit to TheKnightsFury for the sprite!

Fear my abnormally large signature~

Be Positive Ref~ I <3 you, Lonely Cubone and those who eval'd me~
DaisyInari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 05:25 PM   #4514
DaisyInari
Day-sy and Night Owl
 
DaisyInari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Between Sarasaland and Hyrule
Posts: 2,267
Send a message via MSN to DaisyInari
Altaria

My opponent's ggwp is a bit premature because I'm awesome

EDIT: Avoiding the triple post by just adding to this lmao

Warning: Spoiler alert for sun/moon legendaries, this time actually does something!

More than something actually, it won me the game BD
__________________

Hi, I'm Daisy!

Spoiler: show
W(DQ)- 22(3) L(DQ)-14(0)
KO-55
TP-131 SP- 64.5/96.5 (5SP to Deh, 5SP to FW, 5SP to Desert Spirit, 8.5SP to Fallen Icarus, 10SP to Kyro12, 8SP to Charminions, 10 to aposteriori)
SHUCKS I GOTTA FIX THIS SOMETIME
~TL3~

~Fizzy Bubbles~


Credits to Charm for making this!


Come, my birdies!!!! Mwahahahaha!!!!!!


Thanks Pingu for being so nice and making me this~


Credit to TheKnightsFury for the sprite!

Fear my abnormally large signature~

Be Positive Ref~ I <3 you, Lonely Cubone and those who eval'd me~

Last edited by DaisyInari; 11-28-2016 at 07:55 PM.
DaisyInari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:36 PM   #4515
Eliteknight
Tommy used to work...
 
Eliteknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,220
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ge...ttle-487647694
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Miror
EK keeping up his streak of being the scummiest motherfucker to ever grace mafia games regardless of his actual alignment
Spoiler: show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
Well I don't know I wanted to deal damage and Starmie is inorganic :X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
Starmie is a starfish, it is not inorganic :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
Kush I'm TL1. How am I supposed to know things if you don't tell me them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
It's a starfish.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
I have 1 SP. Retroactively claiming the SP tax on all the things I did whilst LO.

I now have 1 SP.
Eliteknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 03:56 PM   #4516
Emi
The Cutest Tsarina
 
Emi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 11,372
Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
The Sand Team makes it first win (Mix and Mega) (Warning: Spoilers for Gen VII Pokemon and Legends)
Emi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 09:10 PM   #4517
Emi
The Cutest Tsarina
 
Emi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 11,372
Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
Pyukumuku @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 129 Def / 129 SpD
IVs: 0 Atk
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Recover
- Toxic

this thing is SO
FUCKING
ANNOYING

Pyukumuku is a perfect pivot due to its ability to eat pretty much any attack in the game. A few of the more extreme examples (Shuckle Rollout is a no, because Shuckle Power Trick 6 defense curls rank 5 Rollout is a nightmare scenario that nothing can live through) can still KO it reliably, but for the most part Pyukumuku will eat the hit just fine and sit on the opponent's face until something happens. For example, Dragonite literally cannot kill Pyukumuku. Outrage will not deal enough damage to kill a Reflecting Pyukumuku even if Pyukumuku does not use Recover or run Leftovers. Dragonite will take 12-36% of its hp in Rocky Helmet damage and 18-36% of its hp in Toxic damage for the trouble, and could threaten a kill next turn if the Dnite doesn't switch.

The other option for Pyukumuku is to use it as a wall, but it's really not great at that because of its TOTAL LACK OF ATTACK POWER. I mean, Blissey walls off some Ghosts just fine even without Seismic Toss, but it also gets Wish and Pyukumuku does not.

Pyukumuku @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Light Screen
- Substitute
- Recover
- Toxic

You can swap the EVs over to SpD and run Reflect instead. Both sets are pretty much identical. Substitute stops status, Recover and Toxic are must-haves on Pyuku. Leftovers is actually optional as Recover gives Pyukumuku so much fucking healing that it's actually possible to just heal off the Substitute procs. The only issue is that if your Sub gets popped you are slower than your enemy so you may need to predict or you may get status'd. If you feel you're capable of predicting and Recovering at the right moments, go ahead and run Rocky Helmet (it's way better since it actually does damage).

Poisons and Steels can obviously wall off Pyukumuku of any kind but your Pyukumuku should never be engaged in pitched battle with people who aren't physical sweepers (if you're running Rocky Helmet). Get in, Toxic, set screens, leave.

There's also some merit to running Pyukumuku as a weather setter upper:

Pyukumuku @ Damp Rock
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rain Dance
- Light Screen
- Recover
- Toxic

EVs are really whatever you want. I favor an even split since I'm aiming to switch pyukumuku into ANYTHING, but you can go for one or the other.

Pyukumuku also learns Hail, so Icy Rock/Hail works too.

DO NOT LET PYUKUMUKU BE YOUR LAST POKEMON.

AND Last but not least, Pyukumuku gets Baton Pass.

Pyukumuku @ Leftovers
Ability: Innards Out
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Baton Pass
- Curse
- Substitute
- Recover

Since this Pyuku does not have any means of dealing damage, we run Innards Out and sac it to kill off an unsuspecting sweeper. If the sweeper tries to outplay you, you can Recover up, Sub, Recover, start Cursing.

DO NOT LET PYUKUMUKU BE YOUR LAST POKEMON

While it is alive, it provides utility and protection for the rest of your squad, scouts information, and sets screens for the rest of your squad. Pyukumuku is really hard to kill, so it can be tempting to keep switching it in and out. Don't do this. Let your poor little sea cucumber die.

Rocky Helmet Pyukumuku is a hard counter to physical set-up sweepers and you can consider it a guaranteed victory if your opponent has more than 1.

I actually really love Pyukumuku and I love how many options it brings to the table. I think this is what Game Freak was aiming for with Wobbuffet, but missed the mark due to the lack of sustain you get. If Counter/Mirror Coat reduced damage taken I think Wobb would probably be seen a lot more and would probably be considered a skill-based 'mon. :P As is, its stats and lack of regen mean it's never going to be any good. Pyukumuku on the other hand is perfectly viable and can be played a few different ways to be seriously annoying to your opponents.

Like Furfrou, it has obvious counters (status, immunity to poison, special sweepers without setup, and screen breakers will make Pyuku sad), but they're surprisingly easy to play around with a little smart teambuilding. Honestly though, you can stick Pyukumuku onto a lot of teams and just switch out for it as much as possible to absorb damage that would usually be going to more valuable targets...then to set up screens and maybe to poison someone while you're at it.
Pyukumuku is adorable and I can really understand wanting it to be viable in comp. It tries its best. But the fact of the matter is, just like Furfrou, Pyukumuku is never going to be any good. When you are considering a Pokemon and how well it will do, there really are some things to keep in mind:

1) Does this Pokemon serve an important niche?
2) Is this niche done better by another Pokemon who will be included over this Pokemon in the majority of cases?

Let's take, for example, Honchkrow. Honchkrow can be a sweeper or a powerful revenge killer, which is an important niche! However, its completely outclassed by Bisharp who has so much over Honchkrow that its not worth running, so it fails question 2.

Pyukumuku is an Unaware wall which is meant to be a stop to physical set-up sweepers, which is an important niche. The issue is, compared to other Pokemon such as Clefable or Quagsire, Pyukumuku's flaws become really, really apparent. It's entirely passive. It has no effective way of dealing damage. It's bulk is somewhat lackluster. Since the meta hasn't really shaken out yet (and while there are some Gen VII pokes that do illustrate how lackluster Pyukumuku's bulk is, I don't want to intentionally spoil anyone), I'm going to use ORAS OU as a benchmark.

Double Dance Landorus-Therian, while uncommon, was a thing. Now, your point with Pyukumuku is that your set is going to be able to Toxic, then screen on any physical sweeper (or attacker really) because Pyukumuku is super bulky. Alright, let's see if you're right in this case, and in others.

Spoiler: show
252+ Atk Earth Plate Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 128 Def Pyukumuku: 169-199 (53.9 - 63.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Lopunny-Mega High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 128 Def Pyukumuku: 159-187 (50.7 - 59.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 128 Def Pyukumuku: 280-330 (89.4 - 105.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 128 Def Pyukumuku: 198-234 (63.2 - 74.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and sandstorm damage

252 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Outrage vs. 248 HP / 128 Def Pyukumuku: 184-217 (58.7 - 69.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Life Orb Excadrill Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 128 Def Pyukumuku: 157-187 (50.1 - 59.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Life Orb Garchomp Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 128 Def Pyukumuku: 153-181 (48.8 - 57.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

136+ Atk Heracross-Mega Pin Missile (5 hits) vs. 248 HP / 128 Def Pyukumuku: 200-240 (63.8 - 76.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 128 Def Pyukumuku: 142-168 (45.3 - 53.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 248 HP / 128 Def Pyukumuku: 193-228 (61.6 - 72.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 128 Def Pyukumuku: 160-188 (51.1 - 60%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Zen Headbutt vs. 248 HP / 128 Def Pyukumuku: 133-157 (42.4 - 50.1%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Aerilate Pinsir-Mega Return vs. 248 HP / 128 Def Pyukumuku: 178-211 (56.8 - 67.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 128 Def Pyukumuku: 211-249 (67.4 - 79.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock


These are just the A-rank physical attackers. This doesn't include many of the B-rank Pokemon that could also feasibly beat Pyukumuku, such as Breloom, Crawdaunt, Gyarados, SubFly Dragonite, Kyurem-B...the list goes on, and doesn't even include many of the special attackers such as the Latis who can abuse Unaware and their powerful stab moves to really beat it down.

Pyukumuku's good match-ups are simply really limited because a lot, and I mean a lot, of Pokemon are really well equipped to simply beating through it. Taking 50% on the switch from Garchomp's Earthquake means you can't effectively counter it. Most offensive Pokemon worth their salt will be able to beat Pyukumuku by forcing it to take a ton of damage any time it switches in. This is probably the biggest reason Wobbuffet stopped being good in Gen VI; it simply couldn't trap and kill many top threats because they did so much damage to it.

It can't be fit onto any team because its ridiculously passive and has limited switch-in opportunities. At the most, its going to be a niche stall option because its overall bulk is a little better than Quagsire and it has Soak, which is really interesting defensively (on the other hand, Quagsire has Scald and can do damage). But its as I said, niche, and really only if you need to use Clefable for something else entirely.

All of this being said, Pyukumuku is legit hilarious in AG for its Z-Purify, Psych Up, Baton Pass set that makes stuff like Geomancy Xerneas a liability to use (thanks Snorby!). So if you want to use Pyukumuku viably, its going to be because of this, not for any other reason.
Emi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 02:27 AM   #4518
Shuckle
Mage of Mind
 
Shuckle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Land of Thought and Melody
Posts: 3,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
Pyukumuku is adorable and I can really understand wanting it to be viable in comp. It tries its best. But the fact of the matter is, just like Furfrou, Pyukumuku is never going to be any good. When you are considering a Pokemon and how well it will do, there really are some things to keep in mind:

1) Does this Pokemon serve an important niche?
2) Is this niche done better by another Pokemon who will be included over this Pokemon in the majority of cases?

Let's take, for example, Honchkrow. Honchkrow can be a sweeper or a powerful revenge killer, which is an important niche! However, its completely outclassed by Bisharp who has so much over Honchkrow that its not worth running, so it fails question 2.

Pyukumuku is an Unaware wall which is meant to be a stop to physical set-up sweepers, which is an important niche. The issue is, compared to other Pokemon such as Clefable or Quagsire, Pyukumuku's flaws become really, really apparent. It's entirely passive. It has no effective way of dealing damage. It's bulk is somewhat lackluster. Since the meta hasn't really shaken out yet (and while there are some Gen VII pokes that do illustrate how lackluster Pyukumuku's bulk is, I don't want to intentionally spoil anyone), I'm going to use ORAS OU as a benchmark.

Double Dance Landorus-Therian, while uncommon, was a thing. Now, your point with Pyukumuku is that your set is going to be able to Toxic, then screen on any physical sweeper (or attacker really) because Pyukumuku is super bulky. Alright, let's see if you're right in this case, and in others.

Spoiler: show
252+ Atk Earth Plate Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 128 Def Pyukumuku: 169-199 (53.9 - 63.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Lopunny-Mega High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 128 Def Pyukumuku: 159-187 (50.7 - 59.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 128 Def Pyukumuku: 280-330 (89.4 - 105.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 128 Def Pyukumuku: 198-234 (63.2 - 74.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and sandstorm damage

252 Atk Tough Claws Charizard-Mega-X Outrage vs. 248 HP / 128 Def Pyukumuku: 184-217 (58.7 - 69.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Life Orb Excadrill Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 128 Def Pyukumuku: 157-187 (50.1 - 59.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Life Orb Garchomp Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 128 Def Pyukumuku: 153-181 (48.8 - 57.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

136+ Atk Heracross-Mega Pin Missile (5 hits) vs. 248 HP / 128 Def Pyukumuku: 200-240 (63.8 - 76.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 128 Def Pyukumuku: 142-168 (45.3 - 53.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 248 HP / 128 Def Pyukumuku: 193-228 (61.6 - 72.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 248 HP / 128 Def Pyukumuku: 160-188 (51.1 - 60%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Zen Headbutt vs. 248 HP / 128 Def Pyukumuku: 133-157 (42.4 - 50.1%) -- 94.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Aerilate Pinsir-Mega Return vs. 248 HP / 128 Def Pyukumuku: 178-211 (56.8 - 67.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Choice Band Terrakion Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 128 Def Pyukumuku: 211-249 (67.4 - 79.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock


These are just the A-rank physical attackers. This doesn't include many of the B-rank Pokemon that could also feasibly beat Pyukumuku, such as Breloom, Crawdaunt, Gyarados, SubFly Dragonite, Kyurem-B...the list goes on, and doesn't even include many of the special attackers such as the Latis who can abuse Unaware and their powerful stab moves to really beat it down.

Pyukumuku's good match-ups are simply really limited because a lot, and I mean a lot, of Pokemon are really well equipped to simply beating through it. Taking 50% on the switch from Garchomp's Earthquake means you can't effectively counter it. Most offensive Pokemon worth their salt will be able to beat Pyukumuku by forcing it to take a ton of damage any time it switches in. This is probably the biggest reason Wobbuffet stopped being good in Gen VI; it simply couldn't trap and kill many top threats because they did so much damage to it.
RIP I didn't run enough calcs.

Let's be fair to Pyuku first: its strength was touted as Unaware, and a lot of those are Banded. I wouldn't expect Pyukumuku to overperform. I will acknowledge that these sets are common though.

Charizard-X doesn't always run Outrage. Dragon Claw sets fail miserably.

Knock Off does not even come close to a KO. In fact, Pyuku can easily set up on both Weavile and Bisharp.

And it's also important to consider: Yes, these pokemon counter a switch-in pivot Pyuku, but an unswitched Pyukumuku will occasionally be able to set up Reflect, Recover, Toxic, Recover, switch out if necessary or continue to sit there and live through the beating. This is also why Pyuku will be good against setup sweepers; you can use that turn as a free switchin and live. It was definitely wrong to say that he can switch into anyone, but it may also be wrong to say that it can't be fit into any team, or that its switch-in opportunities are limited. Its switch-in options are significantly better than Quagsire's AND Clefable's.

If you set the scenario that Pyukumuku is not switching into any of these attackers, suddenly Pyukumuku changes from a lackluster Unaware wall into a serious threat. Many of these physical attackers are doing 50-60% of Pyukumuku's health...it'll take the hit, Reflect, and then your damage looks like this:

252 Atk Life Orb Garchomp Earthquake vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Pyukumuku: 66-78 (21 - 24.8%) -- 90.5% chance to 4HKO after Stealth Rock

If Pyuku has screens up before the attackers arrive, it can't die to them. This is unlikely but not impossible, and may be forced in some situations involving Toxic and a weaker attacker.

Let's try a more optimized set and assume Pyuku is switching in. Listing only members of the above that are no longer 2HKOs and bolding those who Pyuku will be able to set Reflect up on. We're also assuming that Special attackers have around the same power as the physical attackers.

Spoiler: show
252+ Atk Earth Plate Landorus-Therian Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Pyukumuku: 141-166 (44.9 - 52.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Pyukumuku: 111-132 (35.3 - 42%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Life Orb Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Pyukumuku: 129-152 (41 - 48.4%) -- 8.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery (Not bolding, but Recover will outheal this and may allow for a Reflect after a few turns).

252 Atk Life Orb Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Pyukumuku: 133-156 (42.3 - 49.6%) -- 85.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock


Ok so the point mostly still stands so what it's gonna do slightly better than you said.
Quote:

It can't be fit onto any team because its ridiculously passive and has limited switch-in opportunities. At the most, its going to be a niche stall option because its overall bulk is a little better than Quagsire and it has Soak, which is really interesting defensively (on the other hand, Quagsire has Scald and can do damage). But its as I said, niche, and really only if you need to use Clefable for something else entirely.

All of this being said, Pyukumuku is legit hilarious in AG for its Z-Purify, Psych Up, Baton Pass set that makes stuff like Geomancy Xerneas a liability to use (thanks Snorby!). So if you want to use Pyukumuku viably, its going to be because of this, not for any other reason.
Quagsire does fine in OU despite having many of the weaknesses you mention for Pyukumuku. You VASTLY overestimate Quagsire's ability to kill things.

252+ Atk Pure Power Medicham-Mega High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Quagsire: 310-366 (78.6 - 92.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Quagsire Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Medicham-Mega: 70-84 (26.8 - 32.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

0 Atk Quagsire Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Medicham-Mega: 108-127 (41.3 - 48.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

If you're looking for an Unaware wall, Pyukumuku is bulker than Clefable and Quagsire, and has the advantage of having both physical and special variants. Fact of the matter is that those two don't outdamage good old Toxic nearly enough to consider them more important, not to mention the fact that they cannot heal and damage at the same time which severely limits their effectiveness.

Clefable is useful thanks to Magic Guard, which means that it will frustrate status abusers alongside Calm Mind sweepers. It also ignores hail and sand.

Quagsire is useful thanks to its typing, which lets it work better in sand and against things that are weak to Water and/or Ground. And it's immune to Electric, though I can't imagine that's gonna be that important in most games.

Pyukumuku is useful thanks to screens, and it's more than bulky enough to play with the big boys. It fulfills both of your points well enough to be worth using. Maybe not in the way I was ranting about, but yes. Although I think it's gonna be a beast in UU because most of the attackers you listed just won't be there and you'll see things like:

252+ Atk Machamp Dynamic Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Pyukumuku: 109-129 (34.7 - 41%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Machamp Dynamic Punch vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Pyukumuku: 55-66 (17.5 - 21%) -- guaranteed 5HKO after Stealth Rock

Confusion is a factor but this will most likely not end well for Machamp.

Also, honorable mention for oh god why is this pokemon so sad:

252+ SpA Mega Launcher Blastoise-Mega Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Pyukumuku: 118-139 (37.5 - 44.2%) -- 2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Mega Launcher Blastoise-Mega Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252 SpD Pyukumuku: 97-115 (30.8 - 36.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ SpA Mega Launcher Blastoise-Mega Dark Pulse vs. +2 252 HP / 252 SpD Pyukumuku: 49-58 (15.6 - 18.4%) -- possible 5HKO after Stealth Rock

;-; how can something look so cool and never deliver on its promises
__________________
Shuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 04:21 AM   #4519
Shuckle
Mage of Mind
 
Shuckle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Land of Thought and Melody
Posts: 3,153
I mean at the same time the Unaware squad aren't exactly paragons of bulk and their typing is weak. At best they are set-up sweeper counters. Pyuku may be good with Unaware, and certainly no worse than Clefable or Quagsire, but that's no guarantee that it'll see use or that it's effective at what it does.

The nice thing about Pyukumuku is that it can set screens, which makes it more of a pivot than other Unaware pokemon. There's no pressure for Pyuku itself to nab kills or even do damage; really all you're doing with the standard set is getting it in, setting up a screen, and switching to something important, now with screens in place.

Pyukumuku also has an astonishing variety of sets, ranging from Physical Wall to Special Wall to Dual Screens to Soak to Baton Pass to Rain or Hail. You could even try for Counter or Bide or Pain Split, it's bulky enough not to be completely stupid (i wouldnt consider it viable though). This flexibility could be enough to bump it up a tier even if as Emi says it lacks the bulk and power to succeed against OU threats.
__________________
Shuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:23 PM   #4520
DaisyInari
Day-sy and Night Owl
 
DaisyInari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Between Sarasaland and Hyrule
Posts: 2,267
Send a message via MSN to DaisyInari
Altaria

I could really use a crit right now... oh.

(Skip to turn 37 for the funsies, but WARNING: Sun/Moon legendary spoilers ahead)
__________________

Hi, I'm Daisy!

Spoiler: show
W(DQ)- 22(3) L(DQ)-14(0)
KO-55
TP-131 SP- 64.5/96.5 (5SP to Deh, 5SP to FW, 5SP to Desert Spirit, 8.5SP to Fallen Icarus, 10SP to Kyro12, 8SP to Charminions, 10 to aposteriori)
SHUCKS I GOTTA FIX THIS SOMETIME
~TL3~

~Fizzy Bubbles~


Credits to Charm for making this!


Come, my birdies!!!! Mwahahahaha!!!!!!


Thanks Pingu for being so nice and making me this~


Credit to TheKnightsFury for the sprite!

Fear my abnormally large signature~

Be Positive Ref~ I <3 you, Lonely Cubone and those who eval'd me~
DaisyInari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:49 AM   #4521
Shuckle
Mage of Mind
 
Shuckle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Land of Thought and Melody
Posts: 3,153
Pokemon is first and foremost a game of prediction. ;)

poor, poor, dear, sweet minior
__________________
Shuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:05 PM   #4522
Shuckle
Mage of Mind
 
Shuckle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Land of Thought and Melody
Posts: 3,153
Ugh minior is SO BAD
__________________
Shuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 02:30 PM   #4523
phoopes
Double Dragon
 
phoopes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,558
Hey guys I made an OU team and this was the best battle I had so far, check it out.
__________________
phoopes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 03:26 AM   #4524
Chiko
Chiko Chiko Chi
 
Chiko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: To the world, to the world, to the world, to the world where you live
Posts: 1,829
I don't even know how I won. (29 turns, Gen 7 Randbats)
__________________
PASBL
TL4/B Ref
WF Updater
Amethyst/Chieri
FB - Chiko
Chiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:29 PM   #4525
Eliteknight
Tommy used to work...
 
Eliteknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 2,220
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ge...ttle-493691204

Ive missed playing stall so much
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Miror
EK keeping up his streak of being the scummiest motherfucker to ever grace mafia games regardless of his actual alignment
Spoiler: show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
Well I don't know I wanted to deal damage and Starmie is inorganic :X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
Starmie is a starfish, it is not inorganic :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
Kush I'm TL1. How am I supposed to know things if you don't tell me them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
It's a starfish.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
I have 1 SP. Retroactively claiming the SP tax on all the things I did whilst LO.

I now have 1 SP.
Eliteknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 PM.


Design By: Miner Skinz.com
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.