UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 11-19-2016, 11:41 AM   #1
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Pokémon S&M

Perverts rejoice!

This show is a celebration of everything it is to be an adolescent boy in the prime of puberty: violence, beaches, and bikinis!

I'll summarize the first episode in four words: Girls, girls and women!

Now that Ash has his mouth virginity out of the way, he can put that dirty mouth to good use: talking to other girls! Holding their hands! Going out with them for long periods of time...no parental supervision! No curfew!

Also, the animation is good. The art style isn't that bad, it's just Ash's design is wonky as fudge. It's weird hearing that voice, coming out of that body, given what we just saw in XY.

It's like Holiday at Aopulco...on amphetamines.

Woo hoo!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:32 PM   #2
Char
Banned

I quite like Sun and Moon so far - first 2 episodes especially. Interested to see where it goes / how much it follows the games.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:43 AM   #3
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Char View Post
Interested to see where it goes...
Oh we already know this.

Kozuki Yuuko in Muv-Luv documented a strange phenomenon that ostensibly seemed unique to that game. It was called "ren'ai genshikaku" (恋愛原子核) and it seems to have spread to Pokemon.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-21-2017, 10:42 PM   #4
AK2
Boulder Badge

Send a message via AIM to AK2 Send a message via Skype™ to AK2
I enjoy it!

I will make a longer post at some point this week.

With that said,

1. The show is fun to watch. Simple, but fun. It makes me smile. Not everything has to be XYZ Team Flare Arc level in intensity or Kalos/Sinnoh League seriousness with competition to be enjoyable.

2. The characters (as of episode 11) are all getting fleshed out well. All of Ash's classmates have had their own episode at this point.

3. I like the (friend, but not owned by) effect of Rotomdex, Litten, and Bewear.

4. Bewear. End of story. This has made Team Rocket for this series.

5. Mimikyu.

6. I like the pacing... it's fast! Maybe this will tie things in with what we know about the 2017 movie.

7. Lillie. Daaaaaaamn. Serena, she is your second. Nothing less, trust me, nothing less.

More to come!
AK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 02:29 AM   #5
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

So screenshots from episode 14 convinced me to watch this. Now this is canon, and it's absolutely adorable!

Sun and Moon is pretty enjoyable so far. I could blow small things out of proportion like everyone else and pretend this show is something else, but I would rather not. It's nothing super intense, but it's cute fun.

Team Rocket is actually bearable. So far, they haven't interrupted many episodes, and when they do, it's not that bad. They are actually kind of entertaining because of their companions this season. (minor spoilers)
Spoiler: show
I was disappointed that Mimikyu was part of their team, because being a part of Team Rocket often means being mindless cannon fodder, but thankfully Mimikyu has been more. Most moments Mimikyu is on the screen, it's fun to watch. The blasting off replaced by being kidnapped is also nice.

The animation is weird. It goes from awkward and bad to pretty nice with some good attention to detail. I think they try more when showcasing the Pokemon themselves.

I'm not sure how long I will keep watching, but I don't have any desire to put it down yet. Though this show isn't as full of empty promises as XY, so maybe I will stick with it.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:45 AM   #6
AK2
Boulder Badge

Send a message via AIM to AK2 Send a message via Skype™ to AK2
Still watching. It's enjoyable, not an award winner, but it's fun, fun(ny), and it makes you smile. Definitely a great de-stresser, but no Game of Thrones with a complex plot.

Very happy with Ash's team so far, the first time im hoping nobody evolves.

I have no idea what direction the writers want to take things
AK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:38 PM   #7
Char
Banned

SOON they will all be

Going to Kanto, with Brock and Misty making a comeback!

Preview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcjxHVcsDZc
Old 09-01-2017, 08:15 PM   #8
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

I kinda wish Lana or someone would've caught a Dewpider or Wimpod or something, so we could settle the age-old question- how would Misty react to a Bug/Water-type?

Also, what's the deal with the Horsea and Seadra? Did Misty's Horsea evolve?

And hoping Bulbasaur isn't the only of Ash's old Pokémon we get to see. Kingler and Muk are long overdue for some screentime, IMO.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:27 AM   #9
Lanturn
Just keep swimming x2

I like SM. It's fun and light and watching it has a de-stressing effect. The captains (classmates) are all pretty interesting and some of them are surprisingly fleshed out.

I still can't believe that

SM21 spoiler
the writers had the balls to kill off Stoutland, who was basically a recurring character by that time. Granted, he died of old-age and its body wasn't show on screen but still, wow.

[Current WF Adventure]
(lol totally should update these links)
Lanturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 02:28 PM   #10
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

"fleshed out" is a great way to describe a series focused around sun and swimsuits.

Even Misty strips.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-23-2017, 12:21 PM   #11
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

The new episode is like, more faithful to the G1 games than Z Origins is. Well, Origins was a FR/LG adaption, but I think this episode has raised my opinion of the S/M crew after the rather rough transition from Ash's divorce to Hawaii.

The Sun/Moon characters get wrecked so hard.

Also a bit unrelated, but since I'm paying attention to Pokemon at the moment -

Remember when we were discussing Ash's champion team? There was something I neglected to notice at the time that was pointed out to me: Red's team consists of either event Pokemon (Eevee → Espeon, Snorlax) or starters (Pikachu, Venusaur, Charizard, Blastoise).

If we apply the same standard to the anime, the only event Pokemon Ash has had is Snorlax. The vast majority of Pokemon he's owned have been starters, since he's caught all three each generation.

Excluding a hypothetical event Pokemon like Ho-Oh, I would have to say Snorlax gets on the team then. So that makes 3 Kanto Pokemon and a starter from Kalos, Sinnoh, and Hoenn. I don't think any of the S/M Pokemon are really worth it.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 09-23-2017 at 12:52 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:15 PM   #12
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Read the episode titles and got excited!

10,000,000 Volts!

I had a feeling since the I Choose You! movie that Pikachu would eventually get it's "signature" move. It seemed out of place that such a move would only exist in the non-canon movies. This opens up an opportunity for Pikachu to ditch Electroball and finally get Volt Tackle back, which I feel will round out its stats:

Ability: Static
Quick Attack (Normal/Physical)
Iron Tail (Iron/Physical)
Volt Tackle (Electric/Physical)
Thunderbolt (Electric/Special)
10,000,000 Volts (Electric/Special/Z-Move)

You might wonder why dropping Electroball is bad. Well, 10,000,000 Volts is better in every way. It is a special move and has higher power than Pikachu's Gigavolt Havoc because both of those moves have to be based on either Electroball (160) or Thunderbolt (175). It also boosts critical hits so all of Pikachu's moves get better after use.

Iron Tail is needed for coverage and damage. Quick Attack is needed for speed and priority (in the anime, it's treated as a pseudo-Agility). Thunderbolt is the all-purpose special electric attack so Electroball isn't needed as much as Volt Tackle is.

Pretty cool stuff!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-05-2017, 11:47 PM   #13
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Read the episode titles and got excited!

10,000,000 Volts!

I had a feeling since the I Choose You! movie that Pikachu would eventually get it's "signature" move. It seemed out of place that such a move would only exist in the non-canon movies. This opens up an opportunity for Pikachu to ditch Electroball and finally get Volt Tackle back, which I feel will round out its stats:

Ability: Static
Quick Attack (Normal/Physical)
Iron Tail (Iron/Physical)
Volt Tackle (Electric/Physical)
Thunderbolt (Electric/Special)
10,000,000 Volts (Electric/Special/Z-Move)

You might wonder why dropping Electroball is bad. Well, 10,000,000 Volts is better in every way. It is a special move and has higher power than Pikachu's Gigavolt Havoc because both of those moves have to be based on either Electroball (160) or Thunderbolt (175). It also boosts critical hits so all of Pikachu's moves get better after use.

Iron Tail is needed for coverage and damage. Quick Attack is needed for speed and priority (in the anime, it's treated as a pseudo-Agility). Thunderbolt is the all-purpose special electric attack so Electroball isn't needed as much as Volt Tackle is.

Pretty cool stuff!
You do realize that the required move for 10,000,000 Volt Thunderbolt is, well, Thunderbolt, right? Volt Tackle is the required move for Catastropika. I mean, I agree, Pikachu should ditch Electro Ball, though I personally would like to see it get a move that's a type other than Electric, Steel, or Normal. Brick Break, Grass Knot, Signal Beam, hell, maybe even Disarming Voice.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:37 AM   #14
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingno. Master View Post
You do realize that the required move for 10,000,000 Volt Thunderbolt is, well, Thunderbolt, right? Volt Tackle is the required move for Catastropika.
Yeah I know. But with Volt Tackle added back, I think you can say without any doubt that Pikachu in S&M is more powerful than Pikachu was at X time in the past, because his moves are universally more powerful.

The problem with Electroball is that it's portrayed in-show to be weaker than Volt Tackle and has redundant offensive role with Thunderbolt, save some occasional versatile portrayals. Volt Tackle has some redundancy with Quick Attack but I don't think Quick Attack ever gets dropped because of its Japanese name, which has an electrical connotation even if it's a Normal-type move.

Pikachu's moves could look like (power/accuracy):

10,000,000 Volts (195/100%), +2 critical hit ratio
Volt Tackle (120/100%), 40% paralysis (+ Static)
Iron Tail (100/75%), +30% -1 target defense
Thunderbolt (90/100%), 10% paralysis
Quick Attack (40/100%), +1 priority

Volt Tackle is brutal with Static as an ability, not to mention it also pairs with Quick Attack for increased speed and power. There's two special attacks, three physical, and three STABs.

Easily Pikachu's most powerful moveset. Arguably, even without the OP Volt Tackle, Pikachu with 10,000,000 Volts and Electroball already is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingno. Master View Post

I mean, I agree, Pikachu should ditch Electro Ball, though I personally would like to see it get a move that's a type other than Electric, Steel, or Normal. Brick Break, Grass Knot, Signal Beam, hell, maybe even Disarming Voice.
Probably won't happen unless Iron Tail goes, and I don't think Iron Tail will go if it hasn't already.

Quick Attack = Denkou Sekka, or "Lightning Speed". 電光 itself breaks down to "lightning light" so it seems like an electric attack, even though it's not. In the show, it's a hybrid between Tackle and Agility, in addition to its normal priority, so even though it's "weak" it's rather OP in Pikachu's possession.

Thunderbolt is the staple, generic electric attack even if it looks more like Thundershock in practice. Iron Tail is the only move that gives Pikachu variation, using his tail instead of his head and electric sacks.

So then you have the last slot that's usually the "nuke" position. With Gigavolt Havoc, at least, there's room to not need Electro Ball and run something else. Especially so if the spoilers are true. I'd like to see VT back but anything else would be fine there!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-09-2017, 02:57 PM   #15
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I'm a bit disappointed?

It looks like Pikachu can only use 10,000,000 Volt Thunderbolt while he's wearing Ash's hat. Which makes me wonder if this ability is going to be anything more than a cameo.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-14-2017, 06:04 AM   #16
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Whew lads.

Pikachu 1HKO's full strength Nihilego with 10,000,000 Volt Thunderbolt. If you can call this a proper battle, it's probably the single most impressive feat Pikachu has pulled off. Even more than mauling Alain's team, beating Regice and tying Latios.

Why? Nihilego isn't even weak to electric attacks...it takes neutral damage. It also has high special defense. Pikachu overwhelmed it with pure power. Nikola Tesla sheds a tear.

We also get confirmation of Kukui x Burnet. They're not married in the anime, but it looks like Kukui proposes to her next week.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-15-2017, 09:22 AM   #17
Maskerade
Rainbow Badge

Well that's just ridiculous...

I haven't kept up with SM at all for various reasons; for those of you who gave it a shot, how do you think it compares to XY?
Old 12-16-2017, 01:56 PM   #18
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

So I've started watching this! Only at Episode 2. I can't compare it to XY since I didn't see XY in its entirety...but it's very un-conventional in a good way. Not very formulaic and no Team Rocket so far.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-16-2017, 08:08 PM   #19
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Episode 5

This is really comfy, and easy to watch. Not a lot of human drama and each episode is different. The art style concerns are a non-concern at this point.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-17-2017, 09:55 PM   #20
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Episode 9

Dang, this is really a fun show. It's not gotten repetitive at all.

-=EPISODE 10=-

Pikachu gets reset every season, which makes sense because if you let it enter a new area in championship mode it would wtfstomp all opponents. Thus far though, even though Pikachu intuitively has been reset, it hasn't lost a battle yet and instead has a major feat under its belt:

KO'ing Hala's Hariyama with Breakneck Blitz, which:

-is not that powerful when based off Quick Attack
-is a Normal, Physical move, when Pikachu's strengths are Electric/Special moves
-KO'd Hariyama from close to full strength

Pikachu hit Hariyama with Thunderbolt (no damage?), Iron Tail (visible damage), and then Breakneck Blitz.
Pikachu also tanked STAB All-Out Pummeling. Admittedly, it missed the brunt of the damage, but Pikachu is also pretty frail and took major damage from Hariyama earlier in the match.

Unless you assume Alola Pokemon are weak af, this suggests Pikachu is already in Uber status, ten episodes into the new season. Pikachu's feats later in the show that I saw corroborate this view.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 12-17-2017 at 11:02 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 10:13 AM   #21
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Smogon Bans Pikachu from Pokemon Anime

Nice bit of satire. It's rare for us to get Pokémon satire, let alone satire with this degree of fandom knowledge. Enjoy.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 11:10 AM   #22
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

what's especially funny is the exact two incidents Smogon uses to justify the ban constitute 85% of my posts in this topic.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-18-2017, 04:16 PM   #23
Maskerade
Rainbow Badge

You know the real treat? For how funny that article is (and it really is!), the comments below from everyone who didn't get it are just as amusing :P
Old 12-19-2017, 02:48 AM   #24
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Episode 15

Fight Club: The Episode, ITT.

I'm almost caught up to BBB. This show is smooth as silk.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-20-2017, 03:11 AM   #25
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Episode 18

This show continues to amaze me because, aside from maybe Brock and Misty, I can't imagine anyone else in the series who I could call Ash's good friends. He hangs out with the Alola crew ALL THE TIME and there's tons of interaction. Even if some things are a bit shallow, this is way, way, way more development than with the old formula of

new town > new character with problem > team rocket > problem solved > leave

S&M is awesome!!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime