UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 05-09-2013, 12:48 PM   #5076
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Originally it was WW2 and Call of Duty, but now Call of Duty doesn't make WW2 games so I just chose whatever.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:04 PM   #5077
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Doppel, you might want to dig into a walkthrough for Cross Channel. As I mentioned before, it's structure is like Kagetsu Tohya, which means you go through the same scenario alot, but with new choices and stuff if you get new scenes.

For recommendations...I can't think of many that you haven't already watched. Tsuritama and Shimashita are on top of that list, but you watched one of them, and are supposedly digging into the other because of Romeo. Let me think of shows I liked from the recent years....

What about Ika Musume? You said you started it, but I didn't hear anything else about it from you. Remember, there's two seasons!

Mitsudomoe...you'll hate. I thought it was great, but you'll probably hate the crude humor.

Working? Well I thought it was okay, but it's something to kill time with? Also an obvious comparison to Maou.

Moretsu Pirates is probably the only one I could really recommend to you. It's really well written and animated. It's boring as hell at first, but halfway through the show picks up. To me, it was the best anime of the season it aired.

I can't really think of anything else. I'm sure there have been some other good shows the past few years, but my mind's running a blank.

For Maou, I'm still watching and enjoying it. It's just that I haven't felt like talking about it.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:31 PM   #5078
McSweeney
Soul Badge

I was making a joke!

But actually, it's cool how between us all, we have 3 different angles on the story (book, TV series, hentai game)

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"

Last edited by McSweeney; 05-09-2013 at 06:36 PM.
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #5079
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Hey, I have the book perspective! The first three-eighths of it, anyway ...

And it's a 95-episode TV series, not a movie. Ż3Ż
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:41 PM   #5080
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Yeah, I edited my post a minute too late.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:34 AM   #5081
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I started watching a bit of Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge.

My first impression was this joke.

Spoiler: show

Hitler ran his fingers lovingly through Anne Frank’s dark hair.

Then he tossed it back on the pile to be woven into socks for submariners.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 05-12-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:37 PM   #5082
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Shingeki no Kyojin: Just watched Episode 05 (last week's). HOLY SHIT! O_o I was not expecting developments like this! What a shocker!

Obviously Armin's been the narrator the entire time, but I just figured that it was like if Samwise Gamgee narrated The Lord of the Rings. I figured Eren was this story's Frodo: very much so the main character, and very much going to stick around for a long time.

So WOWEE was I surprised to see him lose a leg! And then to see him lose an arm and get swallowed by one of the giants! Does this mean we got fooled and Armin's been the actual main character this entire time? Or does it mean that, despite losing an arm and a leg, Eren's not quite dead yet?

I don't know. The opening credits clearly seem to portray Eren as the main character ... but they also depict him with all of his limbs. (And none visibly appear to be prosthetic.)

Nah, Eren has got to still be alive. And be the main character. I think the show is just trying to fool me. No? ^^; 'Cause like ...
  • What about the key Eren's dad gave him? Would they seriously have given us a fake subplot meant to throw us off the scent that Eren dies early? I doubt the author's quite that cunning.
  • Clearly the footage's focus has been on Eren before anyone else.
If I tune in to Episode 06 and Eren's confirmed dead and gone, I'll be astonished. Nah, he's bound to free himself from the giant's maw somehow.

We also learned some more information about the titans/giants/Eotenas.

So they don't eat people for food ...

The big steam-powered one displays intelligence ...

They have remarkable regenerative properties ...

They've never been observed reproducing ...

Yeah, the evidence seems to be mounting that the giants are synthetic organisms created by other humans. They're probably tools of war that Eren's city-state's citizens have simply forgotten, over the past hundred years, are precisely that. Eren's city-state might be at war with another city-state and not even know it -- the government knows, sure, but not the people.

While Episode 05 really surprised me, I have my worries that Episode 06 is going to undo it all. But I guess we'll see soon enough.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:39 PM   #5083
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Went ahead and made the Titan-thread. Gonna post about Episode 6 soon-ish.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:18 AM   #5084
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Despite a productive night I don't think I've made much progress in anything! Just one PreCure/3 SnK episodes down.

My plate for the upcoming-

Garantia
Nyarlko
Maou
PHOTO KANO
KNIFE EDGE
HxH - need to really catch up on this, I've not watched much since the end of Greed Island
Legend of the Galactic Heroes - gonna make a topic then try and drag BPK and kaisap into it.

Also CROSS CHANNEL for vn goodie goodie.

On PreCure-

I read an article about people saying that from Fresh+, PreCure has legitimately gone more otaku. Now, I'll admit Smile was pretty much otaku bait but I didn't see Suite so I don't know how blatant it is. But what's going on in this episode of Doki Doki, while still within the realm of shoujo, bites soooooo hard into relevant otaku topics it's nuts. It's the word selection and characterization that's crazy.

For example, I read an interview with one of the animators who said Mana is Rikka's "most important person" and that she fills her heart with purpose or something. That's language not dissimilar from Tomoyo-Sakura's relationship, and Tomoyo is a confirmed canon lesbian.

In this episode, number ten, someone referred to Rikka as Mana's wife. Later in the episode Makopi and Mana are described as "husband and wife" in front of Rikka, and Rikka has one of those "what's this feeling in heart?" moments. Obviously, it's latent jealousy (surprised she didn't go all Jikochu) and it's ridiculous to watch.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the drama and what it sets up, but this is real blatant yuri undertone. It's not even real yuri (like with Futari wa, where Nagisa-Honoka would have been boyfriend/girlfriend if Nagisa were male, but instead had an honest "deep friendship") but it's clearly not unintentional. Throwing around spousal roles like that ain't natural!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-14-2013, 12:16 AM   #5085
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Stuffs I seen:

Nyarlko - I remember Talon wrote a scathing review of this, and BBB provided the counter-point, so I decided to watch it myself and settle the Crossfire once and for all! Turns out I'm in the middle. I don't have a lot of problem with Nyarlko's personality as Talon did - in fact, I found her endearing, and the ending scene of the first episode where she tries to bang Mahiro peculiarly erotic. I don't see her as a letch, it's more like she's a wife trying to get some romance into a marriage with a passionless husband. And that's where I've got the real problem - Mahiro is too darn inert to sustain attention to the show. His life is saved by Nyarlko and he responds with indignation and empty violence. For someone so devoted, his ingrate attitude is really off-putting. The comedy/fighting does nothing for me.

Could I watch more? I know there are three more women entering the story so I'll stick with it until then, but I'm just not getting enough mpg out of the show to maintain interest unless something more happens.

PHOTOKANO - less impressive in pixels than on paper. Check out this character sheet -

I'm not exactly a chest person, but this got my heart thumping. Especially (more like, particularly) the one on the far right, Hikari. Haruka too. Both are stunning to look at. Didn't get the same mesmerizing appeal from the real anime. The opening in particular looked sloppily animated, so much that it distracted my listening of the song.

Episode was booooring up until the Photography Club got introduced, then we got to see the show's VN roots. A story about a guy taking photos of vegetating school isn't interesting. But suddenly, there's a hint of drama beneath the surface!

Gonna hit up CC now.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-17-2013, 09:37 PM   #5086
Char
Banned

Photo Kano Episode 7:

So it looks like they're going to do a different girl each episode. This one was about the photo girl. Cute but...they didn't kiss at the end? I do like the wall of photos at the end though. Shows the different things the couple goes through. I should really take more pictures.

I also don't really like the girl they're doing next week, might skip that episode ;)

I'm also looking forward to some of the other ones. Sporty girl :3
Old 05-19-2013, 04:11 AM   #5087
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I tried a little Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko and it fried my brain. It's not bad, but NOT what I was expecting at all. I was anticipating something a bit more...generic?

The main girl is so cute though. She alone is enough to give me heart disease. ;_;
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-19-2013, 06:12 AM   #5088
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
I tried a little Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko and it fried my brain. It's not bad, but NOT what I was expecting at all. I was anticipating something a bit more...generic?
I have to ask: is that a compliment for the show or an insult? I can't really tell...

I'm watching it and find it very amusing, personally.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #5089
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

It is neither. From the premise I was expecting typical harem drama. Not social drama with a dash of moe. I haven't found it super funny but I did smile at some parts, which is more than I can say for a lot of recent shows!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-19-2013, 10:21 PM   #5090
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

On the topic of Hentai Ouji. I enjoyed the first 3 episodes. It was amusing and the blonde had a nice story. 4 and 5 were pretty meh, while 5 was loaded in those harem scenes I despise. 6 was back to being alright. Also god DAMN that moe is enough to kill a fella. Even if the show ends up being bad later on, it's effing adorable. Anyway so far I enjoy the show. Let's hope nothing ruins it.

Also I found a really nice picture of Muromi. Like Hentai Ouji, I've grown pretty fond of Muromi while I originally had no expectations of it.

Not much on my end as far as stuff I've watched/read. I need to start on Tick Tack! soon, but other things are occupying my time.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:11 PM   #5091
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I thought that the main girl (the black haired one) was an elementary schooler when she was first introduced, since I haven't seen her in Ouji's school. Apparently she's not because she's attracted? to him and it's really rocking my ship. Blonde is OK, but I don't like how Ouji is dense enough to not realize the stuff he's saying is being misinterpreted and that it's super romantic. He's not a smart guy anyway given his wish, but it's really a bit of a stretch for me to believe.

I like it though. I think Maou is probably the better show, because I really like the idea of sleeping with your mortal enemy but both are solid watches, and I'm pretty proud of my Rolex.

Maybe the season ain't so bad after-all.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-20-2013, 05:09 AM   #5092
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

kaisap needs to talk about Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru. more. She said she was watching it, but didn't say much about it. I think it'll be the last show I'll watch for this season.

It's...depressing. Like, way worse than Aku no Hana. At least AnH has the "trainwreck" kind of humour going for it, like School Days! This is just sad, sad, sad (pathetic).

Like AnH, all the people have problems, but they act like normal anime characters instead of Shinji Ikaris. In that aspect, they resemble VN characters who have "personality" but hard problems plaguing them beneath the surface. At least, the KEY characters I've been overly exposed to lately are like that.

Need to keep track of what I'm watching -

Haiyore! Nyaruko-san: 1/?
Dansai Bunri no Crime Edge: 1/?
Hunter x Hunter: ???/? (skipping around a lot, don't like the current arc much)
Shingeki no Kyojin: 7/7
Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko: 2/?
Photokano: 1/?
Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru.: 1/?
Hataraku Maou-sama!: 5/?
Doki Doki PreCure!: 11/?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-20-2013, 07:36 AM   #5093
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
kaisap needs to talk about Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru. more. She said she was watching it, but didn't say much about it. I think it'll be the last show I'll watch for this season.

It's...depressing. Like, way worse than Aku no Hana. At least AnH has the "trainwreck" kind of humour going for it, like School Days! This is just sad, sad, sad (pathetic).

Like AnH, all the people have problems, but they act like normal anime characters instead of Shinji Ikaris. In that aspect, they resemble VN characters who have "personality" but hard problems plaguing them beneath the surface. At least, the KEY characters I've been overly exposed to lately are like that.
I'm not even sure myself why I haven't talked about RomCom SNAFU (yes, that's the fansub's nickname, Situation Normal All F*cked Up). I'm watching and enjoying the show and perhaps relating to Hachiman a touch too much.

Also, could someone please tell me how on earth OreImo got so popular? I have not cringed and covered my eyes in shame with any other show ever as much as I have with OreImo 2. I'm at the point where I'm screaming "IF YOU WANT TO BANG YOUR SISTER, JUST GET TO IT AND SAVE US THE DAMN TORTURE!". Nyaruko has a really neat OP, but OreImo doesn't have even that. Dropped, unless I really get on a masochistic streak one of these days.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:14 AM   #5094
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I'm surprised you lasted this long.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:13 PM   #5095
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha View Post
I'm surprised you lasted this long.
I've watched the past few episodes as background noise (the window under everything else, couldn't see it) and...it's not an indicator of good things to come when you see the first 10 seconds and then the last 10 seconds and don't feel like you missed a damn thing. I only watched so far because I was promised Kuroneko and the Otaku Leader, but what I got was the bitchy sister, her whimp loser of a brother and her yandere best friend. Are Japanese anime fans seriously masochists enough to truly enjoy a character like her? Would've run her over with a truck at Season 1 Episode 1 myself...

Another reason I prefer SNAFU: the characters don't drive me up the wall. And no "let me bang my sister" plot, which, even as a sister of three younger brothers, I do not understand. Why is it such a huge thing in Japan?
Old 05-20-2013, 02:40 PM   #5096
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Men in general are attracted to what they're not exposed to. I for example have a strong preference for older women, someone who is a few years up to maybe a decade older than myself. I don't have an older sister but in my younger days I remember being attracted to non-related "sempais". I imagine that a lot of the incest fans don't have sisters and like the idea of getting a woman who doesn't have a lot of competition (since the little sister grows up with the brother and can be "taught" how to act). If you notice in anime, almost all these romance stories occur where the main guy and main girl have no prior relationships, are attractive, but single for some reason.

Every show I'm watching this season is like that! Nyarlko, she's from outer space. Crime Edge, the main girl was a shut-in because of her long hair and never socialized beyond the main guy. SnK, Mikasa is Eren's adopted sister. Hentai Ouji, the Ouji could never express his true feelings, blondie was bullied and isolated, and Tsukiko avoided people to avoid being hurt (I think). Maou-san, Emilia is an orphaned warrior while Maou was an only child. Doki - Makoto, Rikka, Alice all had trouble making friends before Mana, and now they're in love with her!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-20-2013, 02:40 PM   #5097
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
I thought that the main girl (the black haired one) was an elementary schooler when she was first introduced, since I haven't seen her in Ouji's school. Apparently she's not because she's attracted? to him and it's really rocking my ship. Blonde is OK, but I don't like how Ouji is dense enough to not realize the stuff he's saying is being misinterpreted and that it's super romantic. He's not a smart guy anyway given his wish, but it's really a bit of a stretch for me to believe.
I like Blondie more actually. Not really sure why the expressionless girl is attracted to the main guy in the first place.

Also the OP (and ED) is totes adorbs.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:43 PM   #5098
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I joked with BBB about that. Nothing is more romantic to a Japanese girl than an attempted "rape".
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 05-20-2013, 02:56 PM   #5099
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
I joked with BBB about that. Nothing is more romantic to a Japanese girl than an attempted "rape".
Well, there was a

flashback episode. It didn't make a very strong case either though.

While I'm here, something I want to say about the latest Photo Kano:

Camera girl's reason for disliking pictures of people is similar to mine (to an extent). The idea of "fake smiles" bothers me.

Not even going to bother with the childhood friend arc. Just... Ugh. Things kept getting worse and worse.

I like the glasses girl so here's hoping her story is interestng.

Also why does it look like none of the girls in the character sheet Dopple posted are wearing bras? *shot*
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:14 PM   #5100
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Men in general are attracted to what they're not exposed to. I for example have a strong preference for older women, someone who is a few years up to maybe a decade older than myself. I don't have an older sister but in my younger days I remember being attracted to non-related "sempais". I imagine that a lot of the incest fans don't have sisters and like the idea of getting a woman who doesn't have a lot of competition (since the little sister grows up with the brother and can be "taught" how to act). If you notice in anime, almost all these romance stories occur where the main guy and main girl have no prior relationships, are attractive, but single for some reason.
You say this every time, and every time I have to point out that what you're saying is dead wrong for myself and for many others. I enjoy many incest hentai stories and I root for many incestuous couples in regular anime, but I 100% do not have any incestuous desires myself. You're trying to say "People who have a thing for little sister characters never had a little sister of their very own. People who did have one never like the little sister characters best, never root for them to wind up with the protagonist, etc." And that just isn't the case. I knew plenty of people who've been all four boxes of that Punnett square. Guys with little sisters who are "Yay incest stories! ", guys with little sisters who are "Boo incest stories! ", guys without who are "Yay! ", and guys without who are "Boo! " Hell, right here on UPN, I'm pretty sure we have me, you, and Mcsweeney already accounting for three of those four squares. I really can't stress this point enough though, Doppel: many, if not most, people who are ideologically aligned for {controversial thing X} do not necessarily want it for themselves. Just because you're pro-gay marriage doesn't mean you yourself are gay. Just because you're pro-incestuous pairings doesn't make you yourself someone with incestuous desires. Just because you're pro-equal treatment in the workplace doesn't mean you're someone who's suffered unfair treatment. And even if we go into sexual fantasies, I believe that the vast, vast majority of fans of incest stories in hentai do not want that relationship for themselves IRL. It's the same with a lot of hentai fetishes really: it's hot when it's happening with somebody else in fiction, but it's not something you want for yourself in real life. Fans of netorare don't dream of their own wives being stolen from them. Fans of hypnosis porn don't dream of their wives and daughters being stolen away through their powers of hypnosis. Fans of mother x son porn don't want to do it with their own moms nor do they want their wives doing it with their sons. So on and so on and so forth. You've got this huge logical fallacy embedded in your brain that you try to support through your own personal identity: "I am appalled by incest; and I have had the experience of having an actual little sister; therefore, I believe that 99.9% of people who have ever had little sisters of their own would never, ever, ever be okay with stories which celebrate incestuous pairings, pornographic or otherwise."

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime