UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Fanart & Fanfiction

Old 11-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #151
Hanatori
Skippy.

Jumpluff

I'm really liking the wild card and big stick ideas and might just put them in. For the former, how could it be implemented? Pick someone at random out of the whole volunteer heap or have people specify whether they want a shot at the wild card when they sign up? I only ask because people have complained about open-ended/vague requests in the past - some people seem to prefer having stuff spelled out and others like having the freedom to mess around.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:31 PM   #152
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

I was thinking it could be a separate category (which might help filter out the vague requests). For double the fun, both requesters and volunteers could choose to remain anonymous for EXTREME BLIND SECRET SANTA.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 07:10 PM   #153
Hanatori
Skippy.

Jumpluff

Doing this as a separate category sounds even better, and would be a nice way to expand the scope of Secret Santa a little bit further since we do have artists here who work in media other than the drawing/writing/spriting triangle already established.

If you're lurking this thread: Is this something you would enjoy participating in?
Old 11-12-2013, 10:17 PM   #154
Fallen Icarus
Confident in the present

Send a message via AIM to Fallen Icarus Send a message via Skype™ to Fallen Icarus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanatori View Post
Doing this as a separate category sounds even better, and would be a nice way to expand the scope of Secret Santa a little bit further since we do have artists here who work in media other than the drawing/writing/spriting triangle already established.

If you're lurking this thread: Is this something you would enjoy participating in?
Yes, yes it does :$ I'd wanted to participate ever since I first saw the thread.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:52 PM   #155
Hanatori
Skippy.

Jumpluff

Hey! Below is a draft of the full volunteer and request rules, including the Wild Card stuff. Are there any last-minute concerns or suggestions? Is this sufficiently non-confusing? Shouldn't I be capitalizing "Artist," "Writer," and "Spriter" if I capitalize "Wild Card"? Questions, questions!

Quote:
IF YOU'RE VOLUNTEERING TO CARRY OUT REQUESTS:
-You are allowed to volunteer as an artist, writer, or spriter. There is also a special Wild Card category this year, but as it is handled a bit differently, it will be explained a bit later. Any combination of two of the categories ("artist and writer" or "spriter and Wild Card," for instance) is also allowed.
-Volunteers are assumed to be ready to handle up to two requests, though you won't necessarily get two requests unless you sign up for two categories, depending on the number of requests received.
-If you don't think you'll have time to do more than one request, or you just plain don't want to, let me know when you sign up or before the volunteer sign-up deadline, and I'll make sure to give you only one request.
-If you would like to volunteer as an artist, writer, or spriter, post in this thread. There will be a frequently updated volunteer list at the end of this post.

IF YOU'RE LOOKING TO MAKE A REQUEST OR TWO:
-Guidelines for request content are as follows: Keep it worksafe, fairly simple, and Pokemon-related. They don't have to be holiday-related, but they can be! Requests that cross with a non-Pokemon fandom are still allowed, but try to keep it open-ended or allow for different options in case your request lands in the inbox of a volunteer who doesn't know what you mean when you mention Princess Azula.
-You are allowed to make up to two requests, and they can be for art, writing, sprites, or the wild card. If you want to make two requests, you don't have to make both in the same category, though you can if you want to.
-All requests are to be PMed to me. Seriously, don't post it in the thread.

NEW THIS YEAR:
For this year, we're introducing a fourth category of requests called the Wild Card, where both requesters and volunteers are subject to slightly different rules than usual. The differences between the Wild Card option and the normal Secret Santa categories are detailed below:
-For requesters: Requests are to be more about a general theme or subject (ex. "Regret," "Holidays," "Secret Base," "Pikachu") than a specific scene or subject (ex. "A holiday Advanceshipping story set in a Secret Base full of Pikachus that ends in regret").
-For volunteers: In order to sign up, you are to PM me instead of posting in this thread. Only I will know who the Wild Card volunteers are, making for an extra layer of secrecy. You are allowed to use any medium of your choice to carry out your request, from ASCII art to music, animated GIFs, photography, dramatic readings, or a mix of media, as long as it is your original content! You're not banned from writing, drawing, or spriting your request, though.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:54 AM   #156
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Looks good to me! I now understand it perfectly! *nodnod*
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 03:14 PM   #157
DaisyInari
Sarasaland represent!

Send a message via MSN to DaisyInari
Altaria

I am so totally down with this and I love the Wild Card idea so much! As soon as sign ups are ready I'm gonna JOIN SO HARD

Thanks so much to the lovely Hana who's organizing this~

Hi, I'm Daisy!

Spoiler: show
W(DQ)- 22(3) L(DQ)-14(0)
KO-55
TP-131 SP- 64.5/96.5 (5SP to Deh, 5SP to FW, 5SP to Desert Spirit, 8.5SP to Fallen Icarus, 10SP to Kyro12, 8SP to Charminions, 10 to aposteriori)
SHUCKS I GOTTA FIX THIS SOMETIME
~TL3~

~Fizzy Bubbles~

Credits to Charm for making this!

Come, my birdies!!!! Mwahahahaha!!!!!!

Thanks Pingu for being so nice and making me this~

Credit to TheKnightsFury for the sprite!

Fear my abnormally large signature~

Be Positive Ref~ I <3 you, Lonely Cubone and those who eval'd me~
DaisyInari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:47 PM   #158
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Hey guys. I got a Wacom Intuos 3 for Christmas, but it was a used one and didn't come with all the drivers. I got them from Wacom's website, but I haven't found a way to change pen pressure sensitivity. I know a bunch of you (Hana, Copy, Daisy?) have Wacom tablets, so any help would be appreciative.

Going back to the Monoprice for now though >>;;
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:41 AM   #159
DaisyInari
Sarasaland represent!

Altaria

Hi friends~ Thought about making an art tutorial of some sort, but I wanna ask you guys want to see anything specific from me! Like posing, linearting, coloring, shading, etc. I guess I could do a general tutorial, but that would take too long x_x

Or maybe I should just post a process or something...

Hi, I'm Daisy!

W(DQ)- 22(3) L(DQ)-14(0)
KO-55
TP-131 SP- 64.5/96.5 (5SP to Deh, 5SP to FW, 5SP to Desert Spirit, 8.5SP to Fallen Icarus, 10SP to Kyro12, 8SP to Charminions, 10 to aposteriori)
~TL3~

~Fizzy Bubbles~

Old 06-05-2014, 01:41 PM   #160
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyInari View Post
Hi friends~ Thought about making an art tutorial of some sort, but I wanna ask you guys want to see anything specific from me! Like posing, linearting, coloring, shading, etc. I guess I could do a general tutorial, but that would take too long x_x

Or maybe I should just post a process or something...
The annoying thing is that you're the one person I know where I'd want to see you do every single one of those tutorials. Your colouring style is really unique, your lineart is always flawless, your shading is stunning, and somehow your characters always have different poses despite the fact mine always seem to have one of two. I'd say posing, but I suspect that, like sigmaking, it's a skill you get with time, so... Actually, yeah, after thinking it over I'm still favouring the posing one. I'm selfish!
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:55 PM   #161
Hanatori
Skippy.

Jumpluff

I think a process would be a good idea - gives you a chance to cover most/all of the ground involved. You can always go into greater detail on a specific area, like lineart or whatnot, if people really want to know more and you have time to do so.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:32 PM   #162
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Going to agree with Hana.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 01:44 AM   #163
DaisyInari
Sarasaland represent!

Altaria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindrindra View Post

The annoying thing is that you're the one person I know where I'd want to see you do every single one of those tutorials. Your colouring style is really unique, your lineart is always flawless, your shading is stunning, and somehow your characters always have different poses despite the fact mine always seem to have one of two. I'd say posing, but I suspect that, like sigmaking, it's a skill you get with time, so... Actually, yeah, after thinking it over I'm still favouring the posing one. I'm selfish!
Reading this made me feel oh so great, thank you so much for the compliments Kin ;~;

Hi, I'm Daisy!

W(DQ)- 22(3) L(DQ)-14(0)
KO-55
~TL3~

~Fizzy Bubbles~

Old 07-31-2014, 10:03 PM   #164
Hanatori
Skippy.

Jumpluff

Building from Daisy's question about tutorials: What would you want out of a general resources and tutorials thread? More tutorials from members of UPN? Links to information on digital art software and graphics tablets? Some love for traditional art media? Links to good tutorial videos? Color theory? Writing tips? For the thread to actually exist right now so you don't have to read a bunch of yammering about hypotheticals?
Old 11-17-2014, 12:27 AM   #165
Hanatori
Skippy.

Jumpluff

With Secret Santa starting up in just a few days, I'd like some feedback on some significant rule changes:

A GUIDE FOR VOLUNTEERS
-You may volunteer as an artist, writer, or spriter. If you're wondering about the Wild Card, which was introduced last year, or why you can't do two categories anymore, keep reading...
-If you would like to volunteer, all you need to do is post in this thread. (The thread OP, not here in Artchat.)
-Volunteers are assumed to be ready to handle up to two requests, though volunteers are not likely to receive two requests unless there is a high volume of requests for their chosen category. If you don't think you'll have time to do more than one request, or you don't want to, please please please let me know when you sign up or before the volunteer sign-up deadline, and I'll make sure to give you only one request.

A GUIDE FOR REQUESTERS
-Changed from last year: You are allowed to make one request. Well, technically, three. One normal request, two Wild Cards. These are the rules for normal requests, while Wild Card stuff is detailed a bit later.
-The rules for request content are as follows: You can request in any of the three categories: art, writing, and sprites. Keep it worksafe, not too complicated, and Pokemon-related (I'm kind of lax on that last one, I'll allow general stuff like, say, "a poem about snow."). They don't have to be holiday-related, but they can be! Crossovers with other games/shows/comics/etc are allowed, but if you decide to take that route, you should provide some reference material and give your volunteer another option in case they have no idea what you mean when you ask for Tina Belcher riding a Rapidash.
-You don't have to be a volunteer to make a request.
-All requests are to be PMed to me. Seriously, don't post it in the thread.

THE WILD CARD
The Wild Card gets a revamp this year, because I am never satisfied with anything ever and the reduction on requests requires an equal and opposite reaction.
-Wild Card is not a volunteerable category this time, but its role is expanded this year. All requesters are allowed to send in up to two Wild Card requests in addition to their normal request. Request guidelines from last year still apply: they should be about a general theme or subject (ex. "Anxiety," "Jumpluff," "Ecruteak City," "Fire") instead of a specific scene (ex. "A Jumpluff having a fire-induced anxiety attack in Ecruteak City"). Intentionally vague and open-ended requests are the name of the game here, and they don't have to be Pokemon-related.
-After PMs are sent to the volunteers, the entire batch of Wild Card requests will be posted in the main thread. From there, anybody, including non-volunteers, will be allowed to claim up to two requests each. Requests are to be claimed via PM, and the thread will be updated a couple times per day to reflect which requests have been claimed. Claiming will be done on a first come first serve basis, so if you wanted to claim something but got in a minute after someone else, sorry. ;; I'll let you know.
-Rules for carrying out Wild Card requests are the same as last year - you can use any format or medium you want, from ASCII art to gifs, photography, staged plays, mixed media, music, or some old-fashioned drawing/writing/computer graphics. So if you're looking to request something and specifically want a drawing, you should probably make that your normal request.

tl;dr if you don't feel like reading the spoiler content:
-Only one normal request per person this time around. To reflect this change, you can only volunteer in one category now. However...
-The Wild Card is no longer a volunteer/request category like art/writing/spriting are, but something separate from those three. Everybody gets two Wild Card requests in addition to their normal request, and every single Wild Card request will be posted in the main thread after assignments are sent out. From there, anybody can claim up to two of the Wild Card requests. Like last year, Wild Card requests are still supposed to be vague, and they can be carried out in any medium the volunteer wants to use.

I'm particularly interested in writing and spriting volunteers' feedback as those two tend to get a lot less requests: Is the new Wild Card system something that would appeal to you in case there aren't enough requests to go around?

(The original version of this post is in the following spoiler for posterity. Edited because I don't want to clog up Artchat any more than I have.)
Secret Santa is once again approaching, and I need your input on some major potential rules changes for volunteering and requesting:

If you've been around this corner of the forums long enough to have seen a Secret Santa underway, you'll know that I do a lot of yelling and chattering about request quotas!!! that have to be met so every volunteer can get a request to carry out. (If you haven't seen a UPN Secret Santa in action before and you're interested/have no idea what I'm on about, here's last year's thread.)

Since a lot of the chirping about request count comes in the non-art categories, where there can be a high number of volunteers but a low number of requests (hello writing), the rule change I'd like to propose is that all volunteers must send one request in each of their chosen areas (writing, art, sprites, wild card). If you volunteer for one of those, you can still send in a request for anything else, but since you're only allowed two requests max, you're out of luck if you volunteer for art and writing but want a sprite request. Non-volunteers can still request up to two pieces; though I've been considering lowering it to one, I worry that's not fair on people who just don't have the time to do requests. Alternately, we could just give everyone one request (with or without the volunteer request requirement) and one volunteer category, period.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by Hanatori; 11-29-2014 at 10:11 AM. Reason: augh i left something that wasn't supposed to be in there in there
Hanatori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 02:45 AM   #166
Pink Harzard
Boulder Badge

Hi there. I've never done something like this but it looks like a lot of fun.
I would like to volunteer for the writing, but due to real life and ORAS finally being in Europe, I can only handle one request. I hope I can be helpfull ^^

Thanks to Chapter of Charizard from Serebiiforums for the Button

Scythedactyl and Chrismasuicune made by Machamp-X and Kryptos. Thanks for these ^^

Friend code info

Randomness:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
You can't gang-rape a Regice.

No genitals.
--------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampertforever View Post
And this is the bit where I'm confused at PHs gender
I'm a tomboyish girl ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
When I was at school, I used my phone to play Snake.

Which I still do today!

Nokia 3310 master race
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingothestone View Post
>Calling me Kingo
It's Kots, damnit. Kots. As in the Dutch word for vomit. As in an abbreviation for (K)ing(o)(t)he(s)tone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneezey12 View Post
Oh, hey kingo, how's life?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
There is a user called Pink Harzard. Enjoy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akanjăo View Post
It's true, her username on SPPF is harzard as well. I never noticed that? Lord. But I wonder... Why Harzard?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelphon View Post
Just to troll the masses (I don't actually know)
Geehee

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotomotorz View Post
Harzad, you lied to us x(
Lies:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
I've realised that I've become one of those Facebook farmers I mock so often. When I woke up several hours ago I immediately checked my emails, checked job sites and watered my berries. Last night, I did the same and anagedto time it perfectly and fly to the place just as my persims were sprouting, so I got to harvest the berry crop as it came and replant.

Damn it, Pokémon.
-------------------------------------------------
Some dickish talk:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairne View Post
didn't they remove Blaziken's crotchtuft with the 3D models?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Harzard View Post
I didn't realise Blaziken even had that. It is there, but a bit small.
The first crotchtuft that caught my eyes was that of Reshiram. I mean, that one is big.
Quote:
You should know better than to say suggestive things like this in front of me.

Someone's a size queen
Quote:
Reshiram
Quote:
Well, I mean Blaziken is literally a cock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machamp-X View Post
HAIL THE ALMIGHTY CROTCHTUFT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLucarioADV View Post
Kakuna tho.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Harzard View Post
Don't forget Metapod
Quote:
Looks like we're about to complete the Pokédix
Quote:
I had a floating blue Metapod. Good times

Oh, and insert something here about Harden and String Shot
Quote:
Run children, it is no longer safe for you here.

---------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by A random Nuzlocke-comic-artist I found on the net
I just realised something...

Pokemon is the only world where Evolution and Creationism can co-exist! Huh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The same guy as above
But yes good ol' Charles Darwin... he's got nothing to smile about when it comes to Pokemon...
Fer all ye PASBL info

Poem with a smile

Smiling is infectious
you catch it like a flu
when someone smiled at me today
I started smiling too

I passed around the corner
and noticed with a grin
when someone smiled back at me
I'd passed it on to him

I thought about my smile
and realised its worth
a single smile, just like mine
could travel around the earth

So if you feel a smile begin
don't leave in undetected
lets start an epidemic now
and get the world infected
Pink Harzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:47 AM   #167
Hanatori
Skippy.

Delibird

Thanks to Pink Harzard for bringing this to my attention - the rules post contained a huge change that was supposed to be edited out (the part about volunteers having to request in their category, which is a bit too strict), and now it's out of the draft. You don't have to request in your category if you're a volunteer.

Any further feedback would be much appreciated!
Old 11-30-2014, 01:39 AM   #168
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Seems like solid changes, Hana. Let's do it!

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 05:47 AM   #169
KamenAeons
ROASTY ROASTY

Someone remind me when this opens up for volunteering, I'd love to get rid of my drawing rust with this.

Yukirin is awesome for doing this for me! And by Yukirin, I mean lilbleucorsola.
3DS FC: 1607 2923 7949

The Kamen Fleet (TL5 / A- Grade Referee) | Cameron Kalmia: Viridian's Maskmaker
Hizumi Yukikaze: Emerald Breeze~ | Tokikou Nobuyuki: Time Mage
Ludger Bullenaar: Bastion of Raji City | Helena Levinton: Violet Stitching
Shizuya Kasen: SHSL Armourer

Waifu Squadron and Explorers | Cavern of Chaotic Creativity

Paradise lies beyond the horizon, challenge it because it is unreachable.
Speak of the absolute territory, and grasp it with your hands.

SAAVE ME

FLOOF AND MOFUMOFU JUSTICE! *WHACK*

"Quit poking my face! >_<"
"Ahahaha, you'll never get rid of this! *hiss*"

"STOP POKING MY SISTER!"

"That was a terrible idea. But holy carp, this tastes pretty nice."

Kamen's mind:

"YOUKOSO WAGA CRAZY E"

Love burns brightly for one and all.

Please don't diss idols or fluffy things in my presence.
KamenAeons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:08 AM   #170
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Via Imgur, one artist's testimony on how to improve. (Imgur source.)
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 04:00 PM   #171
Samayouru
Pokemon Trainer

Well I finally did it. I signed up for Camp NaNoWriMo taking place this April. I haven't been assigned a Writing Group yet, but I've gone ahead and started writing this Pokemon fanfiction that I made a few years back and wanted to re-do it. If you guys want to know what it's about or if you have any pointers for me, I'd be very happy!
Samayouru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 09:14 AM   #172
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Click above for Tumblr page. Click here for full-size image.

The PowerPuff Girls wearing Sailor Moon-esque uniforms and as adults. Drawn by a very talented young lady from Iceland.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:29 PM   #173
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

So Photobucket is lame and apparently now no longer allows "3rd party hosting". Anyone got any suggestions for other good image hosting sites?
Old 06-30-2017, 08:35 PM   #174
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbluecorsola View Post
So Photobucket is lame and apparently now no longer allows "3rd party hosting". Anyone got any suggestions for other good image hosting sites?
Imgur is what I've been since 2013. It will one day suffer the same fate as PhotoBucket or ImageShack, but for right now it's the best free image hosting option we've got. The sad news is, members can upload much less to their accounts than PhotoBucket users could (in PhotoBucket's heyday; and iirc). The good news is, you can upload images without an account ad infinitum. So it's kind of a moot point, so long as you don't mind not having folders or galleries anymore.
Old 06-30-2017, 08:40 PM   #175
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Imgur is what I've been since 2013. It will one day suffer the same fate as PhotoBucket or ImageShack, but for right now it's the best free image hosting option we've got. The sad news is, members can upload much less to their accounts than PhotoBucket users could (in PhotoBucket's heyday; and iirc). The good news is, you can upload images without an account ad infinitum. So it's kind of a moot point, so long as you don't mind not having folders or galleries anymore.
I'd really prefer having separate folders for organization. I've signed up for a postimage account for now and moved my FB banner there just to get the ugly placeholder image out of my sig, and it looks like it does have gallery options at least. If PB doesn't reverse their policy due to backlash then I'll probably end up migrating most of my custom sprites/FB stuff there.

As for actual artwork, lately I've been lazy and just cross-linking art from my tumblr instead of uploading to PB, so I guess I may as well continue that trend. *shot*

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Fanart & Fanfiction