UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 01-07-2019, 04:32 PM   #7776
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Season 1 is pretty good. Latter seasons are not so much IMO. I'm told by many the novels are much better as the anime glosses over many things, which leaves the anime with less character and more action to try and make up for it.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:33 PM   #7777
Crys
seems theres a case aclaw

Watch the first season. If you like that, read the novels.
Crys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 01:22 AM   #7778
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crys View Post
Watch the first season. If you like that, read the novels.
Yep, this is the way to go.

The first season anime made changes from the original LN to better suit a television presentation. The later seasons didn't make nearly as much effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor View Post
I feel like it is very much so YMMV, and I think part of it too is that our tastes likely differ a lot. I know for one that when I tried watching Bakemono all of the SHAFT-isms kept pulling me out of what was actually happening because I found them so weirdly jarring. That said, BGS was absolutely something I enjoyed dearly - I'm not really one for watching shows that are currently airing, I prefer to binge once they're completed, but this and Slime Tensei have both managed to break that habit for me.
I never watched beyond the first Bakemonogatari, even though Koyomi Vamp is supposedly the best part. For much of the same reasons, and the issue of the first season ending on the best promise of progress possible.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:53 AM   #7779
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

This is gonna trigger Loki, I'm sure. I'm also sad, because I agree with Loki's sentiments so it's sad that during the heat death of the universe, all anyone will remember will be the LN/anime.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-09-2019, 12:06 PM   #7780
Loki

If I never read the manga, I'd probably think Goblin Slayer was a decent show. But it's like telling people Bird Box's book was better than the shitty film. They don't care cause words are hard to read and the show is easy to watch.

I do think the general mentality of anime watcher is being dumbed down a bit. Back then when stuff was all downloaded, we all had limitations on what to watch since we all had either slower internet or limited hard drive space or whatnot. But in the current streaming world, there's a lot of excess and people watch everything rather than watching only the best. A mediocre show will get viewership now because it's easy whereas back then it would have been dumped in the ditch.

Goblin Slayer hooked everyone's attention thanks to the rape of/in episode one, but after that it turned into a regular fantasy show. It's different enough from isekai (which kind of took over the fantasy space in anime) to stand out and similar enough to keep them in (i.e. the harem, the clever MC).

Let's all remember the horseshit anime that garners a ton of views: Sword Art Online, Attack on Titan, and now Goblin Slayer.

At least it's not The Master of Ragnarok.
Old 01-10-2019, 08:35 AM   #7781
Connor
Flashbacker

The best thing the Goblin Slayer anime did was bring the manga to my attention. I've dipped my toe back in here and there just to see how they handled fights, but nothing much else. The Village Siege arc that they completely chopped was in my opinion the best arc the manga has had yet, so that fucked the anime for me to begin with.
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 10:27 AM   #7782
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I personally consider that the unofficial end of the manga, the miniatures scene was definitely a good place to end the story on. After the sewers/Sword Maiden arc, the story starts to lose steam. As endearing as Goblin Slayer is, the story is repetitive if he doesn't develop. If he doesn't develop, then the other characters have to change to move the story beyond a Sunday comic strip.

One interesting take I saw was how the story purported to be about healing Goblin Slayer, but actually leads to Goblin Slayer corrupting his party into jaded, sociopathic killers. That doesn't seem to be the case, though. Hasn't come to pass to my knowledge.

I don't know if we can expect much more from isekai/fantasy in 2019, though. Many of the writers are fans looking to share a common experience, not professional writers with twisted, unique takes on things.

But if the isekai manages to outgrow those meagre expectations, it can be heavenly. Re:Zero and Youjo Senki came from worthless source material, but the anime lifted them to a hallowed ground of quality.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-12-2019, 12:51 PM   #7783
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Been an eternity since I've last posted anything but, uh, here goes!

What am I watching from the Winter 2019 season?

Continuing from Fall 2018:

JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Ougon no Kaze - Come on. It's JoJo. Enough said.

Hinomaruzumou - Hinomaru Sumo turned out to be a pleasant surprise. It's a shonen sports anime, for sure, but these are thicc boys so earnestly in love with sumo it's like a breather from dark stuff. If nothing else, everyone go check out the ED Hiizuru Basho for a perfect distillation of the show. Comes with a Buff Guys, Sweaty Muscles warning. Got it on my playlist because I like this pump-up song so darn much.

Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru - More sports anime! With more budget! BUT IT'S COLLEGE GUYS! This show also features the most relatable nerd character who can't run to save his life I've ever seen. It's boosting my motivation to exercise more.

Okay, so what about the new stuff? In alphabetical order.

Boogiepop wa Warawanai (2019) - Boogiepop is a name I've run into a couple of times. There's some anniversary thing going on and this is the latest adaption, so I gave it a go. This might be an intentionally slow burner yet I like watching it. Action is very neat. Some of the script is a bit cliche but the mystery aspect is holding my interest so far.

Dororo - New adaption of an Osamu Tezuka classic. Hate to admit it, but I'm not a huge fan of Tezuka's visual style. Even when the storylines tempt me to no end I can't get fully invested in reading the mangas. So here comes Dororo and it looks great. It also sounds great: the main child character is voiced by an actual child! The OP comes from Queen Bees (of Tokyo Ghoul:re ED HALF fame)! I'm invested, man!

Doukyonin wa Hiza, Tokidoki, Atama no Ue. - So this one had me fearing the worst, but in the end, it's a show about a cat. Cat = good. In fact, this cat = great. It's got a bit of sad bits to it (the cat is a stray, after all) but it's mostly a comedy about an author who hates being around people, gets anxious about things and then has a fateful meeting with Good Cat. She doesn't have a name yet. But my god just look at her:

There's never enough cats.

Kakegurui×× - Yes I'm into the high school gambling show. With the super-excitable characters. It's not high art or anything, just a fun show.

Mob Psycho 100 II - #RedrawReigen is back, baby!

Yakusoku no Neverland - It's a supernatural horror/tension drama. Nothing subtle about it, no. It's this season's Noitamina block so of course it's going to get as gritty and even edgy as possible (anyone else into Banana Fish?). If the trailer full of kids with serial number tattoos hasn't clued you in already as to the main conflict of the show...I don't even know what to tell you. Oh, I'm watching this, don't get me wrong. But I like my gore and violence and dead children on a semi-regular basis, and since Tokyo Ghoul:re went down the toilet during its latter half, I'll take what I can get.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:39 PM   #7784
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisap112 View Post
If nothing else, everyone go check out the ED Hiizuru Basho for a perfect distillation of the show.
This is the sweatiest thing I've seen in 10 years. I feel itchy all over just getting through it.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-12-2019, 06:27 PM   #7785
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
This is the sweatiest thing I've seen in 10 years. I feel itchy all over just getting through it.
The show also taught me that the regular caloric intake for a sumo wrestler is about 20,000 calories a day. I mean it's all gotta come from and go somewhere, I guess??

The full version of the song has a screaming hook portion as well! (Official music video includes no visible sweat.) The OP (FIRE GROUND) is pretty funky, too. Most shockingly the music video has English subtitles available for the lyrics.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:52 AM   #7786
Loki

Tried The Rising of the Shield Hero and I was not shocked by the fact that it's a very typical isekai, rather I'm shocked at how stupid the premise is.

Spoiler: show
The show is set up as very typical isekai. Main character is a guy who lives with his brother at home, is 20, and lives off his decent allowance from his parents. He seems to mostly play games at home. He decides to go to the library to read a book and he's magically sent to a fantasy land under attack by monsters. He appears with three others and each are given a legendary weapon: Sword, Spear/Staff, Bow, and obviously our protagonist has the Shield. While our hero is kind of in awe of the scenario, the others seem cocksure and demand rewards if they must help save the kingdom. So they're sent to the king.

This is all typical and while a bit unoriginal, wasn't really the worst stuff ever. It starts to take a downturn right after this with the huge exposition dump.

The king first asks for everyone's name, but before the shield hero can say his name, they already kind of ignores him and tries to start his speech until our hero interrupts him. Right off the bat, they're kind of downplaying him. He explains that next month a wave of monsters will attack the world and they need the power of the heroes to stop them. He also explains that in their current state, they might be too weak, so they all need to go out and get stronger.

The shield hero realizes his is the only one with a defensive weapon and they believe they should form a party and work together to get stronger. Except stupid rules prevents the 4 heroes from working together. Apparently if the legendary weapons get too close together, they won't grow quickly enough and kind of counteract each other. This is dumb. At this point, I found this whole scenario to be pretty contrived. Why would you have a 4 legendary hero system if they can't seem to work together to save the world? Just summon one then!

Whatever. The king then explains he will gather some adventurers to be their party members. They rest for the night and realize all four heroes are from different multiverse versions of Japan. In addition, all the other heroes pretty much state that Shield heroes suck in all their games. How hilarious! *stab self*

Next morning, there's like 12 adventurers of varying skills lined up in front of the 4 heroes. Then the king tells the adventurers to choose which hero they wish to follow. And not so hilariously, no one decides to follow the Shield Hero.

Apparently people believe he was uncultured and rude based on his interaction with the king the day prior (remember when the king completely ignored him). Eventually one sexy female decides she will follow the Shield Hero. To offset the imbalance, he offers the Shield Hero extra money each month to pay for provisions and equipment for their leveling experience and to regroup in about a month to fight off the next wave of monsters.

The girl then pretty much pretends to be his friend, then fakes a rape and steals all his money. Now everyone hates our hero and so he sets off on his own. He then decides to buy a slave since they're cursed to never betray their master to help him fight.

The last, 5 minutes after the rape accusation was kind of okayish. He has to basically bully merchants to make sure he gets his fair share and doesn't end up destitute since he's alone and pretty much can't fight with the shield.

So the big issue I have is how extremely dumb all of this feels. Firstly, why can't the legendary weapons work together? This seems really stupid for a system to save the world from powerful monsters. How will the four learn to work together and stop the evil if they have to work independently?

Could you imagine playing an MMO where you can't play with other players because you'd all gimp one another? I guess if you've every played Elder Scrolls Online at launch, you might know how this is. And it's stupid and awful. If this is the case, why even have 4 legendary heroes when a single hero could literally FARM ALL THE EXP for himself and be stronger than the 4.

Secondly, why would the people of this world, who are asking the heroes for their aid based on the legends of the four outright ignore one of them? This is like reducing your chances of winning by 25% just because you can't be nice to one extra guy. And if he is the weakest of the four heroes, why wouldn't you instead try to put more effort into helping him so he doesn't lag behind.

The whole scenario feels like it's set up for the protagonist's failure and comes off really unrealistically. Now we have an angry person who hates this country in charge of saving it from monsters.

Also, the whole rape scenario is really dumb. Again, why would you gimp your success rate by hurting the reputation of the hero? Like, wouldn't you make more money helping the hero with adventures than stealing this one time payment?

And the whole adventurers choosing their hero to follow is insanely idiotic. They don't even have any introductions or any screening process to choose who they want to follow. They just base it on 'Charisma' of the heroes. Like, why wasn't it decided like people picking their teams in gym class? Each hero chooses based on the pool of people and then they all end up with the same number? And even if the four heroes didn't know each other well, they shouldn't abandon their fellow hero if they have to work to save the fucking world! YOU CAN FUCKING DIE OUT THERE IF YOU FAIL! WHY WOULDN'T YOU ALL WANT TO HELP EACH OTHER OUT?

I don't think I'll continue watching. It's all too contrived.

Mob Psycho 100 S2

Hype!

Dororo

I've not yet seen this. The premise sounds amazing though. I'll probably watch it soon.

I also know I said I was going to do a review of Bunnygirl Senpai. It's coming. I actually ended up deciding I'd run through most of the series I enjoyed last year instead of just the one. There was definitely a trend of somewhat disappointing endings among most of them though. I'll rewatch them once over and do a review and hopefully be done before the end of the month.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:22 AM   #7787
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

So, Goblin Slayer fans, I have some good news.

According to LN readers, the author of GS was surprised and unprepared by its popularity, and didn't have any ideas after Volume 2. So the following volumes are a step down from the quality of the first two and many (this user included) considered the series on the decline.

However, it turns out he was stalling to try and come up with new ideas, and hit it out of the park for Volumes 5 and 6. Volume 6 in particular is said to be "the best" yet, which is pretty exciting! I have no idea what is to happen, but it's promising to hear that a novel series rebounds like this. It doens't happen often!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-19-2019, 07:30 PM   #7788
RealMrGame10
CAN'T BELIEVE KH3 IS HERE

Beyond happy that Kaguya-sama is getting an anime and the first episode was... fine

Honestly the jokes and character dynamics are just so funny in the manga that I'm sure whatever is yet to come this season will make me smile

WHEN YOU WALK AWAY

D- Ref on PASBL
(PASBL squad!)
Let's go WILD
I will battle for cheap

lol who knows
RealMrGame10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 01:53 AM   #7789
KamenAeons
ROASTY ROASTY

Ah, a man of culture I see.

I'm frankly surprised no one mentioned Banana Fish over the last few months. It's pretty interesting. Maybe it's because I cannot unsee Yuri on Ice but in America with drug wars.

Yukirin is awesome for doing this for me! And by Yukirin, I mean lilbleucorsola.
3DS FC: 1607 2923 7949

The Kamen Fleet (TL5 / A- Grade Referee) | Cameron Kalmia: Viridian's Maskmaker
Hizumi Yukikaze: Emerald Breeze~ | Tokikou Nobuyuki: Time Mage
Ludger Bullenaar: Bastion of Raji City | Helena Levinton: Violet Stitching
Shizuya Kasen: SHSL Armourer

Waifu Squadron and Explorers | Cavern of Chaotic Creativity

Paradise lies beyond the horizon, challenge it because it is unreachable.
Speak of the absolute territory, and grasp it with your hands.

SAAVE ME

FLOOF AND MOFUMOFU JUSTICE! *WHACK*

"Quit poking my face! >_<"
"Ahahaha, you'll never get rid of this! *hiss*"

"STOP POKING MY SISTER!"

"That was a terrible idea. But holy carp, this tastes pretty nice."

Kamen's mind:

"YOUKOSO WAGA CRAZY E"

Love burns brightly for one and all.

Please don't diss idols or fluffy things in my presence.
KamenAeons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 04:22 PM   #7790
RealMrGame10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamenAeons View Post
Ah, a man of culture I see.

I'm frankly surprised no one mentioned Banana Fish over the last few months. It's pretty interesting. Maybe it's because I cannot unsee Yuri on Ice but in America with drug wars.
THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I SAW

disclaimer I only watched the first three episodes

WHEN YOU WALK AWAY

D- Ref on PASBL
(PASBL squad!)
Let's go WILD
I will battle for cheap

lol who knows
Old 01-29-2019, 02:45 PM   #7791
Connor
Flashbacker

I dunno how well adapted Hinomaru has been because despite my hype other shows have caught my interest more, but the manga is up there with some of the real greats in term of sports manga for what my money is worth. The mangaka just gets how to do hype, be it in panels which go for nothing but your typical "badass" stylings, or something a little more subtle like below (spoilered cos it's from way, way later in the manga and also size).

This page genuinely gave me gooseumps. Obviously the effect is much greater when you have the context, but fuck me man I love this manga.
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:01 PM   #7792
Loki

Watching the third episode of Kaguya-sama: Love is War.

Nice little comedy about a two tsunderes trying to get the other to confess their love first in a battle of wits and pride. Very funny.

Edit: Okay, I think I need a little help here.

BORKED
Link

This is a well animated end credit scene and oddly enough it's only used once throughout the five episodes so far. I'm not sure why. I wish the song was translated.

Anyway, I think this was done with CGI, but is well hidden. Possibly even MoCap. There's like something in my brain that says it flows too well to be hand drawn but looks so good that it's not CGI. Her movements are well animated and she they're somewhat erratic, which would make this difficult to draw. It's also one long shot, so there's no camera shifts to hide difficult to animate motions. The movements of flowing items like her hair and dress really point towards this being hand drawn since they're not stiff and move really well, but this would be a rather large task to get this to look so well. In addition, it looks very precise. Her body lengths don't seem to warp or sketch in any noticeable way making me thing this is CGI.

Either way I'm very impressed. The rest of the show isn't exactly heavily animated since it's usually characters standing or sitting around, so they might have had dumped a lot of time and money into this to be hand drawn, but then why use it only once? If it is CGI or a mix of CGI and hand drawn, that gives me hope that idol shows can stop looking like ass during concert scenes.

Last edited by Loki; 02-11-2019 at 12:45 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:31 AM   #7793
RealMrGame10

This ED in question has exploded a little bit in my circles, and it is pretty odd that they've only used it once, especially considering Fujiwara makes reference to Ishigami in it, a character yet to be introduced. (The scene itself is probably a reference to a chapter in the manga where the president and vice-president have to deal with a beetle in the room, with the president deathly afraid of insects but trying not to show it and the vice-president using the opportunity to pretend to be scared to make the president take care of her. Fujiwara comes in at the end and fearlessly sets the beetle free, as we see her do at the end here)

The clear answer is that they've performed dark magic to make one of the most beautiful pieces of art i've ever seen

WHEN YOU WALK AWAY

D- Ref on PASBL
(PASBL squad!)
Let's go WILD
I will battle for cheap

lol who knows
Old 02-11-2019, 01:53 PM   #7794
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Definitely looks CGI to me. The jitters gives it away to me. Rotoscoping with skilled animators looks like high-quality CGI animation, and that talent isn't common in anime workforces. So I'd bet on pure CGI.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-15-2019, 08:27 AM   #7795
KamenAeons
ROASTY ROASTY

To return to the Chika Dance, it appears that it is indeed not CGI, and it's just incredible how the animation just flows.

BORKED

That and a lot of dark magic.

How cute.

Yukirin is awesome for doing this for me! And by Yukirin, I mean lilbleucorsola.
3DS FC: 1607 2923 7949

The Kamen Fleet (TL5 / A- Grade Referee) | Cameron Kalmia: Viridian's Maskmaker
Hizumi Yukikaze: Emerald Breeze~ | Tokikou Nobuyuki: Time Mage
Ludger Bullenaar: Bastion of Raji City | Helena Levinton: Violet Stitching
Shizuya Kasen: SHSL Armourer

Waifu Squadron and Explorers | Cavern of Chaotic Creativity

Paradise lies beyond the horizon, challenge it because it is unreachable.
Speak of the absolute territory, and grasp it with your hands.

SAAVE ME

FLOOF AND MOFUMOFU JUSTICE! *WHACK*

"Quit poking my face! >_<"
"Ahahaha, you'll never get rid of this! *hiss*"

"STOP POKING MY SISTER!"

"That was a terrible idea. But holy carp, this tastes pretty nice."

Kamen's mind:

"YOUKOSO WAGA CRAZY E"

Love burns brightly for one and all.

Please don't diss idols or fluffy things in my presence.
KamenAeons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:33 AM   #7796
Loki

Wow! That is amazing! Thanks for the find! The lack of.... stiffness I guess is the right term was what made me question whether it was CGI. Seeing the animation was done by hand makes me really happy and hopeful. I know it's probably not in the budget of every series but this dance easily could have been done by CGI and the fact that they didn't really shows the series' studio is looking to make the best product. Good job A1 Studios!
Old 02-21-2019, 05:53 AM   #7797
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I got Dragon Ball Super Broly.

I wonder how good it'll be?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-21-2019, 04:28 PM   #7798
Crys
seems theres a case aclaw

probably super.
Crys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 04:46 PM   #7799
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

It was actually really good for the first hour of the movie. It started to go bad once the actual fighting started.

It seems to be that Dragon Ball as a franchise would have been better served as a slice-of-life than a punch 'em anime.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-06-2019, 02:33 AM   #7800
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Arceus and the Jewel of Life

Sheena was cute and the references to the previous movies was cool, but otherwise this movie was pretty lame. Arceus is angry because he's also stupid. He is easily blinded by rage and won't listen to anyone. Sheena made TWO honest efforts to befriend him and he just sperged out in both cases.

The villain was dumb too and I liked it better when he was dead.

There was no commentary on the connection between the Sinnoh trio and their "dad". All Arceus did to acknowledge them was to say "おまえたち".
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime