UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 04-06-2016, 01:19 AM   #101
Zelphon
Caffeinated

Send a message via Skype™ to Zelphon
How's the 3DS version of this?

My assumption is that it'd be a clustered mess on such a small screen but I still hold interest.

Also how is Ganon?

Zelphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 03:35 AM   #102
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
Ganon or Ganondorf?

Ganon is sort of tedious and annoying due to how they handle item swapping: The D-pad. Other than that, he's about as easy as most other giant bosses.

Ganondorf is a hilariously powerful character who can't go anywhere vaguely quickly. I think he's also the tallest playable. Ganon's my go-to for levels like 'kill x hundred enemies', 'kill as many as you can' and 'kill the giant bosses'.

Spoiler: show
Phantom Ganon is a headache, mainly because, unlike the other bosses, the game doesn't tell you how to kill him. The only strategy I've found so far is have all your warriors targeting him, keep mashing and have as many empty bottles as possible. And maybe Shield Breaker potions on everyone.

As for how it is, it's fun. Not that clustered, although the render distance in keeps takes a bit of a dive. Definitely need to be using a new 3ds for it though, the older ones apparently lag in some parts. And they can't handle 3d, as if anyone actually uses it for more than a couple of minutes.

In other news, I'm working through the Wind Waker board, and holy hell is it a change. For one, there's more types of challenge, including 'kill more than the opposition' and 'get as many kills as you can in the time'. Plus, it has alt outfits for everyone and their rank 2 weapons, unless they were obtained in the story. Plus, great source of hard-to-get items like sodding Stone Blin Bucklers and the drops from Tetra, Toon Link, King Daphnes etc.

Last edited by Ironthunder; 04-06-2016 at 03:40 AM.
Ironthunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 03:19 PM   #103
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Came across this, thought y'all might like it.

Obviously I got Agitha. (Then Tetra, then Zelda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:14 PM   #104
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

I got Ganondorf, then Link, then Linkle. ...Bit confusing, time for take two.

Second round... Ganondorf, Zelda, Link. Even weirder.

tbh the first one is really weird for me, because that's my three-person squad I use for literally everything in Adventure Mode, although that one's Linkle, Ganondorf, Link.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:54 PM   #105
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

So how do I unlock the other Adventure Mode Maps? Master Quest etc.
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 04-07-2016, 07:05 PM   #106
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

I think the Master Quest maps and the like are all DLC maps. The only ones in the base game of HWL are the main one and the Great Sea map, which is unlocked by beating one of the challenges in the original map. I'm on the Great Sea map now, it has everyone's level 2 weapons (Unless they were found in the story) and a Great Sea costume for everyone. It's also a pain because Great Sea Rules are a thing, and you can end up in some really hellish situations if you haven't got the right items.

EDIT: Apparently the Master Quest map is in the base game after all, you just have to beat the Great Sea map. Looks like a new costume for everyone, plus everyone's level 3 weapons. i still haven't gotten everyone's level 2 shit yet, mainly because it's like, Tingle's, Wizzro's, Volga's and some of Link's. Hard stuff and lolLink's stuff.

EDIT: Also, found out how to beat Phantom Ganon! And he's a right fucker.
First off is a round of good ol' fashioned Dead Man's Volley, or energy-ball ping-pong. That gets his first weak point gauge open. Once THAT's done, you have to hit him in the back after he attacks. Which is a pain, but from experience, the blast radius of the bombs is enough to hit the back, even if thrown at the front. ...Or just Focus Spirit Special his arse.

Last edited by Ironthunder; 04-10-2016 at 05:35 PM.
Ironthunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:46 PM   #107
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

So after unlocking all of the characters and weapons, I think I have a fresh idea on who I like. Character spoilers:

Link - His Great Fairy weapon seemed like it would be neat, but holy fuck she's slow. In missions requiring you to move from place to place and rescue your useless army, she is no good. She's probably good at crowd control, but she's not any better than some of the other crowd control characters, and those characters can actually run! I haven't tried Epona or the gauntlets yet.

Zelda - Haven't used the dominion rod, but I like her baton. You would think the rapier would be a great single target weapon, but her special and guard break attacks are weak. The baton is slightly stronger, and it actually has crowd control.

Ganondorf - So I gave his trident a whirl. It's pretty awesome. It's a great 1 v 1 weapon, and it's easy to juggle the fuck out of everyone. It also still has some good damage. I think Ruto should have a trident too. It'll be beautiful irony.

Agatha - So I finally learned how to use her, and she's actually quite good. She's a bit too slow for my tastes, but she's still very solid. She is the best juggler, and her beetle bomb is nice for various situations. My biggest problem at first was that I would accidentally activate her butterfly and waste time.

Young Link - New best character. Holy fucking shit he's a beast. I was excited to use him when I learned he had a Fierce Deity form, and he did not disappoint. He also makes great use of the special gauge. I hardly ever use it with other characters, because the special attacks don't do that much damage, and most characters' regular special attacks are more effective at crowd control. Young Link just uses it as a second magic meter. Even when not using Fierce Deity, it's great because of how broken fairies are.

I also decided to pay attention to fairies. They're umm...broken. A well placed fairy can rack up 500 kills in an instant, or instantly take over keeps. They make "kill x enemies" missions trivial.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:47 AM   #108
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha View Post
So after unlocking all of the characters and weapons, I think I have a fresh idea on who I like. Character spoilers:

Link - His Great Fairy weapon seemed like it would be neat, but holy fuck she's slow. In missions requiring you to move from place to place and rescue your useless army, she is no good. She's probably good at crowd control, but she's not any better than some of the other crowd control characters, and those characters can actually run! I haven't tried Epona or the gauntlets yet.

Zelda - Haven't used the dominion rod, but I like her baton. You would think the rapier would be a great single target weapon, but her special and guard break attacks are weak. The baton is slightly stronger, and it actually has crowd control.

Ganondorf - So I gave his trident a whirl. It's pretty awesome. It's a great 1 v 1 weapon, and it's easy to juggle the fuck out of everyone. It also still has some good damage. I think Ruto should have a trident too. It'll be beautiful irony.

Agatha - So I finally learned how to use her, and she's actually quite good. She's a bit too slow for my tastes, but she's still very solid. She is the best juggler, and her beetle bomb is nice for various situations. My biggest problem at first was that I would accidentally activate her butterfly and waste time.

Young Link - New best character. Holy fucking shit he's a beast. I was excited to use him when I learned he had a Fierce Deity form, and he did not disappoint. He also makes great use of the special gauge. I hardly ever use it with other characters, because the special attacks don't do that much damage, and most characters' regular special attacks are more effective at crowd control. Young Link just uses it as a second magic meter. Even when not using Fierce Deity, it's great because of how broken fairies are.

I also decided to pay attention to fairies. They're umm...broken. A well placed fairy can rack up 500 kills in an instant, or instantly take over keeps. They make "kill x enemies" missions trivial.
My thoughts on these characters:
Link: tbh the Master Sword is his default best weapon, that thing annihilates weak points. Great Fairy is imo actually his worst weapon, it's impossible to lock on and actually hit because of the size issues. Epona's nothing to shout about, nor is the Spinner or the Magic Rod. The Gauntlets on the other hand, are almost definitely his second best weapon, with stupid levels of damage, especially from combos.

Zelda: See, I'd have the Baton as possibly the worst in the game. The lvl 2 Baton has low power, low range, enough knockback to put them out of range and you can't move while attacking. tbh the Rapier's nice, especially the specials and the wide-hitting weak point smash (which takes a chunk out of keeps or Moblin clusters), and the Dominion Rod... The Dominion Rod's just fun.

Ganondorf: The Trident's easily one of my favorite weapons, although I tend to prefer the Demon Blades' damage output most of the time.

Agitha: Never got to grips.

Young Link: The only character in the game who's wholly reliant on his Focus Spirit to actually rack up damage. imo base YLink is pitifully weak, needing full Yspam to kill an Outpost Captain, as a pose to most characters who take about three or four hits. But yeah, YLink's good when you realise he can turn SP into Magic, and then promptly abuse the fuck out of that.

And now my own personal favorites:
Linkle: Holy hell she has spread. Damage output's not great, but she can focus enemies, and in open areas, where she gets her full range, she's racking the kills by sheer direction control.

Twili Midna: Her first standard hit will take out a whole weak point gauge on a non-giant boss, her standard attacks have amazing wide-range and damage, and she's just all-around great.

King Daphnes: He has range and damage. Plus he turns into a boat. You're not telling me that being able to become a motherfucking boat isn't cool.

And then the characters I dislike/can't use for crap:
Zant: All his heavy strings seem to have a stupid ending, and his main range combo is bloody awful.

Fi: Pitifully low damage, even with the Goddess Longsword, which was probably expected given the range of her attacks, and almost always having to face The Imprisoned on any map she's forced on with her health gauge is not helping.

Tingle: LolTingle. But yeah, Tingle's one of those 'quirky' characters who looks really fun, but when you use him you realise that he is utterly shite.

Midna: See, I like her special, but her combos, standard and otherwise, are really quite annoyingly weird on the hitboxes, plus they have surprisingly low damage output.

Darunia: Speaking of low damage output. Darunia can't break a weak point gauge alone without at least three shots at it. He also has zero way of closing down Big Poes short of dodging a lot and waiting for them to charge an attack.

Wizzro: Speaking of Poes. Wizzro's damage output and movement speed is utterly laughable. He can't even take a keep alone without spending a good four minutes there, taking too much damage to A rank.

Agitha: I don't get her deal. The combos have nice knockback, sure, but the standard combo doesn't have much of anything, and she can't really go between combos well.

Ruto: She's just weak. Low power, low health. Like, playing as her isn't too bad, it just takes a while, but if she's an allied NPC, she's going to die. Like, that's basically a given.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:50 PM   #109
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

(Psst IT mash Y at the end of combos with Zant it makes them cray cray but stop once you fill the meter, then just mash Y and spin2win)
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 04-16-2016, 04:19 AM   #110
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

lol, ok. Thanks!

Also, Cia is actually fucking brilliant once she gets full Kokiri Sword badges and her level 2 weapon. She can get an infinite damage loop on basically every enemy unit barring giant bosses and maybe some of the heavier characters like Ganondorf. Because her whip combo can get enemies aerial, and then the final two attacks keep them aerial into the next whip frenzy.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:24 PM   #111
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

I'm having quite a bit of trouble with doing well in Rack Up Your KO/KO Competition adventure map squares; the A-Ranks, even in the early ones, are totally eluding me. Any tips?

King Daphnes is really growing on me FYI; something about playing as him is really charming. And his C5 (I think?) is super satisfying. But it bothers me that using his C1 is so necessary to make him functional. Think they could've done better there.
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 04-22-2016, 05:00 PM   #112
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

idk. I just Daphnes' fully maxed Yspam, it does enough to cover a wide enough area in keeps while taking on captains.

As for 'Rack up your KOs', the trick is usually fairy abuse. Get into a clump, use fairy, I've got about 600 KOs before, but about 300 is average. I think you need like, 1200 to get A rank, and fairy abuse... trivialises it. Like, I've got near 5k kills before. As for the competition ones, similar strat, just have your characters group together and then wreck faces. Also helps to target one of the yellow team, it really fucks their KO count.

Also HOLY SHIT THE REWARDS MAP. Such hell, much wow. I think it's defaulted to Hard difficulty, and one of the first maps is fucking 'rescue three allies, all scattered all over the place, and they're being hunted by full-size Imprisoned'. Three allies, two playables, one is in the back fucking corner behind a barrier keep. And if you don't kill the Imprisoneds quickly enough, then the character temporarily betrays you until you get them to half health. ...Did I mention that you're on Hard or something, where The Imprisoned takes about four weak point smashes, and that's with all Stamina Fruit badges?

Other map I'm stuck on is the one for Young Link's level 2 weapon. Still need to A rank it, but Young Link just gets completely annihilated by the perma-max morale Stone Blins. A-ranking is a bitch.

Also, question: What's your go-to characters for each element-recommended stage? Mine usually defaults to:
-Link, Fi, Toon Link and Zelda for Light. Yes, generic, but Master Sword still OP, the Rapier and Light Sword tear through weak points, and Fi... Slightly better than the alternative.

-Ganondorf, Cia, Young Link/Skull Kid and Twili Midna for Darkness. Dual Blades are still some of my favorite weapons for keep-clearing, Cia's YSpam can juggle things for fucking ever, Twili Midna has good damage-for-range, plus her standard attack (just one) usually takes the entire weak point on a captain.

-Ganondorf, Link (Gauntlets), Sheik and Lana for Lightning. The Trident is fun, Link's Gauntlets are pretty cool and get some nice range, Sheik gets element-switching which is nice if you remember what each one does, and Lana's got some really nice specials and combos with her Book. Plus the alternatives are the Spinner and the Baton, neither of which are that good.

-Lana, Impa, Ruto and Daphnes for Water. Daphnes, I said earlier, has stupidly wide attack range, plus a close-down option. Lana's Spear's good when you start dodge-cancelling the weird bit at the end of the Yspam, Impa's... Impa and Ruto's better than Tetra. And the Great Fairy, but then again the Great Fairy is shite on most levels.

-Linkle, Volga, Impa and... Darunia or Lana for Fire. Really depends, short of the first three the Fire weapons are pretty crappy.

-Link (Master Sword), Ganondorf (Trident), Linkle and Zelda (Rapier)/Volga/character with unlocks on the map for ones with no element. Basically my strongest.
Old 04-22-2016, 05:29 PM   #113
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

the fuck is fairy abuse
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 04-22-2016, 05:36 PM   #114
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Abusing the My Fairy system. If you have one, you can tap the little button in the bottom left to create a magic shockwave that can get you upwards of three hundred KOs in the right circumstances (A large horde of weak enemies). If you haven't got one, then
on the original Adventure Mode map, there's one in a pot in the Fairy Fountain or the other southern keep not named Hyrule Castle on the challenge one up from the start point. They're in the darker brown pots. It's like, defeat a horde of Darknuts or some shit.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:19 AM   #115
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Apparently Medli and the Master Wind Waker map are coming on the 19 May.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:03 PM   #116
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

That's today! And yet I don't have her/my WW Master Quest map?

EDIT: Encountering some kind of glitch - I go to the extras menu, try to do something, fail and get caught in an endless loop of "You received!"
Quote:
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future

Last edited by SoS; 05-19-2016 at 01:05 PM.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:06 PM   #117
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

There's an update you have to get first from the eShop, went live earlier today.

Anyway, first thoughts on the new stuff!
Medli: Firstly, another fucking Light weapon? Could we just have, y'know, enough other stuff to get a decent squad of four Lightning or Water weapons? That aside, she's pretty damn good. Aerial combos on point. She also has range, which is a rarity, but unlike Wizzro, she's actually mobile, and she can take the fight to the air too. Only downside is, she's not great in keeps as far as I can tell, but she's good at smaller crowds, captains and Giant Bosses. Oh yeah, she also starts at level 1, so that Rupee collection they're distributing will come in handy pushing her to around 40 or so, by which point she can jump into the MWW map and kick ass.

MWW map: Endless Night rules are fun. Combination of Twilight rules and Master Quest rules, with the removable Great Sea challenges in there. Nothing unduly hard as of yet, but it is extremely Medli-focused. 16 or so costumes and three weapons on the map, the three weapons are Medli's lvl 2, 3 and 4 boxharp.

Other new stuffs that I have now: Twilight and Termina maps! Not touched the Termina one yet, but the Twilight one's cool.
The portals really open the map up, the twilight squares are a really good challenge (Either no items, no magic or no specials) and no enemies showing on the map. It's a shame that the lvl 4 weapons aren't new designs though, instead they're just [Level 3 weapon] +. I also have Impa's lvl 4 sword before her lvl 3 one.
Old 06-28-2016, 12:59 AM   #118
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

#BringBackRichard
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

rotomotorz is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games