UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 06-21-2008, 05:36 PM   #1
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

$2 bills why do some people think they're fake? x_X

I love two dollar bills! Usually when the bank asks me how I want some cash I ask them to throw in a few of those. Yet every now and then when I try to pay for something with them the clerk'll look pretty unsure at the bill and a couple times even asked if I had a different kind of dollar! x_x; Whats the deal? Even those $1 coins usually fair better then the poor forgotten 2 dollar bills~
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 10:19 PM   #2
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Re: $2 bills why do some people think they're fake? x_X

They're not in the normal print run, long story short. I also love two dollar bills though, I'd really enjoy an updated $2 to go with all of the other new bills.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:49 PM   #3
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

Bulbasaur Mdkp sez: why do you think me head moves aboot like this eh?

It's because we hoard them, eh? Since they are so rare most people avoid spending them, even though they aren't any more valuable.

I noticed that a lot of people will comment on $1 coins if they unexpectedly get some in change. ("Wow!" etc.) This is a sure indicator that they aren't going to be in common circulation anytime soon.

*munch munch* | FB Profile
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 11:33 PM   #4
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger

Most people don't accept rare bills or coins as legal tender, even if the government says it does. Like pennies, it's because there's not much demand for something that large and they're a liability - try cashing $50 or $100 bills and you'll find not many places take them unless they deal with expensive goods.

$1 coins went out of style because they were too similar to quarters.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 12:23 AM   #5
The Morg

The current $1 coins are a different colour so there's no more mistaking them for quarters, eh. I'd like to see them become the standard, as in Europe where the smallest bill is €5. The €1 and €2 are easily identifiable coins.

The only advantage of $1 bills instead of coins is the ability to carry them in a wallet, but not many people seem to use those anymore. That, and you can write on $1 bills. I like to write random things on $1 bills and spend them in places where other people are likely to get them as change. w

Old 06-22-2008, 05:02 AM   #6
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger

Well, when I mean mistakes I mean engineering feats like the common vending machine, which can't tell the difference between a five and one dollar bill. I've never had it happen to myself but I've heard of cases where vending machines ate golden dollars.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 05:57 AM   #7
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Dollar coins are out of style? Certainly not here in NY, that's the change you get back from the Long Island Rail Road.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 06:23 AM   #8
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Was like that with the rail stations in D/FW as well. Susan Bs and Sacajawea dollars all around.
Old 06-22-2008, 05:40 PM   #9
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Re: Mdkp sez: why do you think me head moves aboot like this eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muyotwo
They're not in the normal print run, long story short.
Whys that? I know as long as I can remember they've always been uncommon so why have the bill in the first place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosuser
It's because we hoard them, eh? Since they are so rare most people avoid spending them, even though they aren't any more valuable.
I don't hoard 'em! Should I o.o?
Old 06-22-2008, 07:06 PM   #10
The Morg

They aren't any more valuable, so hoarding them will only further the problem of being suspected as fake. Actually, I think I'll start asking for $2 bills at the bank so I can see what kind of reactions I can get when spending them. This should be fun, eh.

Old 06-22-2008, 10:24 PM   #11
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I'll bite: why do you keep eh'ing, Morg? Are you in Canada right now?

Regarding $2 bills, I thought that the US Mint quit printing them quite the number of years ago. (I was still in high school when I heard this, as I recall.) It was because of general lack of use and how the US Mint could save printing costs if it didn't have to print $2's every now and then, etc.

Personally, I like the $2 for the novelty, but it is a fucking worthless bill. Having worked the cash register in my day, I can say that nobody would prefer to fish around for $2, $1, and 50¢ when they could just grab three $1's and two quarters. It all comes back to that great little truth: nothing in excess. That is to say, on the one hand it's not good to have too many different bills (worthless chaos!), but on the other hand it's not good to have too few either (like if we only had $1's, $20's, and $500's). $1, $5 (maaaybe), $10, $20, $100, good. We really don't even need the $50 (does anyone honestly bitch about having to carry five $20's or one $100 in place of two $50's?), so that'll probably be the next to be retired.

That is, if the $2 is retired at all. o_o
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:54 PM   #12
Sciz
GIF Lord General

Kinda funny how you're posting this the day after one of the people I work with got tipped with ten $2 bills. :X
Sciz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 11:08 PM   #13
The Morg

UPN is in Canada! We need to start randomly adding "eh" to our posts.

The $2 bills are still being printed, that's why there is no point in hoarding them because you can theoretically get more whenever you want. Your explanation for their lack of popularity does make a lot of sense, though. I can see how they might result in more work for cashiers instead of less.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:08 PM   #14
The Morg

P.S.: Eh.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:23 PM   #15
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Yeah, it's funny, but I'm sure there's a psychology term/model for it. Basically the idea is that while the current system requires the cashier to grab more items (three bills and two coins vs. two bills and one coin in the previous example), the time is the real deciding factor. It takes about the same amount of time to process "2 + 1 = 3" that it does "1 + 1 + 1 = 3", but it takes more physical effort to move your hand between the $1 slot and the $2 slot -AND- it also takes more time (because you perform simple arithmetic calculations in your head much faster than you are humanly capable of moving your arm between trays and using your fingers to grab a precise number of thin slips of paper).

Given this, anyone can see how 5 things to grab onto actually is better than 3 things to grab onto. Same mental calculative effort and time, but no comparison in the physical realm.

It of course gains more relevance as we (a) increase the number of cashier operations per day from 1 to (say) 100; and (b) make more complicated change than $3.50, like (for instance) $47.39.

If you think our money's bad, though, you should go to Britain. Land of seven coins in common circulation. (1, 2, 5, 10, 20, 50, and 100. Yes, they have 20 and 50 but not 25. They tried, but it just didn't catch on.) Then again, I actually enjoyed it because it felt like I was living Harry Potter with knuts and other wizarding coins. :P ;) I'd go buy some chocolate and get 4 different coins of funny shapes and values. Pretty fun. Pretty, pretty fun. But because I wasn't the cashier or the permanent resident.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:05 AM   #16
The Morg

Pikachu Wobby sez: It's a tuque, eh!

Britain isn't alone: Euros follow the same pattern. I think it makes a lot more sense, though: with both coins and bills following a 1-2-5 pattern, everything is uniform and on multiples of 10. (1, 2, 5cent; 10, 20, 50cent; 1, 2, 5€; 10, 20, 50€; etc.)

They also have a pretty good system where most cashiers will round change to the nearest 5 cents. It saves a lot of time and also means you have fewer coins to carry around. I don't think I ever got any 1 or 2 cent coins in Europe.

Old 06-25-2008, 05:17 PM   #17
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuande
Having worked the cash register in my day
Do registers have a slot to specifically hold $2 bills? If not I could kinda see them being a problem what with having to mix them in with some other money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciz
Kinda funny how you're posting this the day after one of the people I work with got tipped with ten $2 bills. :X
A $20 tip?! @_@
Old 06-25-2008, 07:59 PM   #18
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindz
Do registers have a slot to specifically hold $2 bills? If not I could kinda see them being a problem what with having to mix them in with some other money.
No, you have to slide them under the cash tray and store them separately at the end of the day. Which is why one generally picks a cool customer during the day and gives it to them in their change.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:12 PM   #19
The Morg

The $2 bills are more likely to be given as change? Interesting. That means I can start writing random things on $2 bills to increase the likelihood that unsuspecting people will get them in change.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:40 PM   #20
Sciz
GIF Lord General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuande
Having worked the cash register in my day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciz
A $20 tip?! @_@
I work at a restaurant. :X
Sciz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 10:25 PM   #21
ajnrules
Boulder Badge

Lapras Re: $2 bills why do some people think they're fake? x_X

As a student at University of Virginia, the university founded by Mr. Jefferson himself, I got a $2 bill at freshman orientation. Every student got one. :P
Old 07-27-2008, 07:44 PM   #22
Kat Katraine
Pokemon Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Kat Katraine

People think $2 bills are fake because they rarely appear in circulation. When it came to updating paper money until 1996 the U.S. goverment was notoriously slow to act because they were afraid how the public would react. Counties like Canada use colours to make the denomitations easier to tell. In Canada a $5 is blue, a $10 is purple, a $20 green, a $50 red, a $100 brown & a $1000 pink, so the money is easier to tell. Here in the US, alot of people get the $2 confused with the $5. Slowly but surely, the US is adopting the Canadian way of different colours for the different bills.
Kat Katraine is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc