UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 03-14-2008, 09:07 PM   #1
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Citizen Kane -- "More Overhyped than Brawl!"

SPOILER-FREE from top to bottom. Feel free to read all of this even if you've never seen the movie and plan to.

I rented Citizen Kane from Blockbuster on Monday. It's been on my To See list since 1998. I actually have this ancient notecard taped to my bedroom closet at home-home -- it must have been up there since 1999 at least, possibly '98 (making it ten years old and the tape still holdin' strong!) -- and anyway, on this fossil of a notecard is the following list:

Pulp Fiction
All Quiet on the Western Front
[strike:ox0a09st]Shawshank Redemption[/strike:ox0a09st]
Citizen Kane
Good Will Hunting
Silence of the Lambs
Amadeus
Bridge on the River Kwai
[strike:ox0a09st]The Matrix[/strike:ox0a09st]
Memento
The Deer Hunter

These are all movies that have been highly recommended to me either by society-at-large (e.g. The Matrix) or by a friend who considers himself and his proven himself to be a movie fanatic (e.g. The Deer Hunter). They are movies which I have made a point of listing, ever since ten years ago, to try and get myself to see them. And the progress, needless to say, has been ridiculously slow. Only two of the eleven movies on the list are crossed off. Tonight ... I cross off my third.

Yet Citizen Kane was not what I had hoped it would be. No, far from it! Citizen Kane was advertised by the American Film Institute as "the greatest film ever made" (as of 199 and has been included in the Top 10 lists of multiple other film organizations. Surely such a film would prove to be entertaining! Surely such a film would be powerful! Yet Citizen Kane fell flat time after time, despite me oh-so-desperately wanting to get into it.

If you could ask Orson Welles what the schematic for making Citizen Kane was, I imagine he would tell you, "I wanted to produce a great American film about the rise and fall of the greatest fictional American who ever was." That much is clear from watching the film. But the problem was in the delivery, in the translation of this blueprint to a finished product. Charles Foster Kane never came across as a character I bonded with. I never felt like I knew Charles Foster Kane, perhaps because we were learning about him through the eyes of a 3rd party and because nobody really knew Charles Foster Kane except Charles Foster Kane himself. That might make for a good idea in someone's head, but it makes for a horrible character if you're not the one imagining him! People can't bond to or relate to a character they feel they hardly know, and I think that damned this movie right from the start.

Then there was the issue of "Rosebud." Somebody told me what Rosebud was years ago and I never forgot. I had always expected that my knowledge of Rosebud's identity would not ruin the movie for me, but unfortunately I found that -- aside from solving Rosebud's identity -- the movie didn't have much in the way of keeping my interest. One of my parents had forgotten what Rosebud was and said minutes before the end of the film, "The only thing keeping me here right now is that Rosebud!" In my opinion, this sort of proves that the movie has shit-for-nothing replay value. And that if you've been spoilered, that even the first run-through is pretty stale.

Finally, the movie was way too effing loud with brass at times. True, this was a common practice of Hollywood films from the 1930s and 1940s -- to have these loud brass instruments trumpeting away as if the film's segues were newsreel segues instead. But it got very old very fast.

Sigh. Citizen Kane, best film of the 20th Century? Right. That's about as accurate as saying that SSBB is the best video game of the 2000's.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 09:32 PM   #2
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

Re: Citizen Kane -- "More Overhyped than Brawl!"

Now that's just silly. Majora's Mask is clearly the best game of the 2000s.

Superior Christmas Banner is Superior.
Also still looking for ref with brain, although not just now due to Tyranidos running in fear.
ZoraJolteon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 09:57 PM   #3
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoraJolteon
You, sir, have NO TASTE. :x Worst ... Zelda ... EVER! :x

Obligatory Unasked-for Nerd Credentials: I've played thru 50% or more of Zelda 1, Zelda SNES, OoT, MM, Oracle of Seasons, Oracle of Ages, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess. (I've played through 70% or more if you take TP off the list.)

Thoughts on MM: The plot was dumb ... Navi was still present in her annoying pseudo-helpfulness but she'd been replaced identity-wise with the colorless Tatl ... the fact that all your accomplishments were erased every time you went back 3 days sucked major balls ... getting Epona proved both difficult and pointless in this title ... introduction of Tingle ... only 4 dungeons WTF!? ... I mean, there was just so much wrong with this game. Can you say "Cash Cow?" It was basically OoT's engine with a lame fanfic and some palette swapping applied to it. No real effort went into this game, unlike how Wind Waker had a completely novel engine and how Twilight Princess after it had a completely novel engine.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:32 PM   #4
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger

Unfortunately, hearing the Citizen Kane spoiler for Rosebud really does kill 60% of the movie's enjoyability. That's why it's one of the most infamous spoilers in history. The Curse of Monkey Island was what spoiled it for me. :P

Also, the best Zelda game(s) of the 2000's was Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages. Coincidentally, they happen to be the only Zelda games I've played.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 12:00 AM   #5
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

First you hate Yuka Morii, and now Majora's Mask? Your fails are rising exponentially Talon. INTERWEBS ARGUMENT TIEM!

>The plot was dumb ...
I agree. Providing you're using dumb as as acronym for of "Finally something with depth and character development rather than the painfully overused Ganon going blarg and destroying the world before you stab him a bit and everything's fine again."

>Navi was still present in her annoying pseudo-helpfulness but she'd been replaced identity-wise with the colorless Tatl ...
And voiceless. The reason everyone hated Navi was for "HEY! LOOK! LISTEN! HELLO! HEY! LOOK! LISTEN!", so Tatl was already an improvement before you consider her other features. She actually gave out information you'd appreciate, rather than what you might tell a three year old. Tatl: "That's a Nejiron. Don't get too close to it. Sniff...Sniff... It smells like gun powder!" Navi: "This is bomb creature. It is a creature that acts like a bomb. You must stay out of range of the bomb. It walks slowly, so you can easily get away from the bomb. If you hit the bomb with weapons it will explode because it is a bomb. I advise using the Hookshot. It is immune to arrows. HEY! LOOK! LISTEN!" Plus she had the capabilty to regularly express more thoughts and feelings in a single text box than Navi did in the entire game.

>the fact that all your accomplishments were erased every time you went back 3 days sucked major balls ...
Anything halfway challenging or time consuming was saved. I wish that the other games let me replay my favorite aspects of them whenever I liked, rather than forcing me to keep save data at that point or playing through the entire rest of the game.

>getting Epona proved both difficult and pointless in this title ...
You could complete OoT without ever visiting Lon Lon Ranch as Adult Link. And if you were having trouble with ghostbusting you could always play the inverse song of time for easy mode.

>introduction of Tingle ...
I like Tingle. And most people who hate him only started to after he was whored out in every single one of the next five games released. You can't hold MM responsible for this.

>only 4 dungeons WTF!?
Bomber's notebook/all the other methods of acquiring masks/dungeon songs say hi. Plus the dungeons were far better designed than OOT's.

>Can you say "Cash Cow?" It was basically OoT's engine with a lame fanfic and some palette swapping applied to it. No real effort went into this game
Yep Nintendo went all out milking this for money. That's clear enough from the fact it's the least profitable Zelda they made. The fact that there were a couple of NPC models ripped from OoT totally outweights creating the rest of the game including models for three brand new playable characters and going through every single NPC and create different actions and dialogue for them for all three days of the game. And then multiplying that again for speaking when transformed.

>Twilight Princess after it had a completely novel engine.
l2facts. Twilight Princess runs on the Wind Waker Engine, and is the definition of Cash Cow. "We're delaying it for years to add in extra content, not so we can force you to buy it at a higher price with our new console"? lolz. If you're still only 50% through, I won't spoil which dungeon it was they just casually threw in after the rest of the game was complete, but as soon as you're in it you'll immediately be able to tell from the fact that this is the dungeon map

PS: Nerd Credentials are completed Zelda, LttP, LA, OoT, MM, OoA, OoS, WW, MC, TP, PH, and partial AoL and TRR

Superior Christmas Banner is Superior.
Also still looking for ref with brain, although not just now due to Tyranidos running in fear.
ZoraJolteon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 12:06 AM   #6
Talon87
時の彼方へ

If you think Majora's Mask's dungeons were (1) well-designed and furthermore (2) better designed than Ocarina of Time's, you may as well quit playing video games right now and spare the rest of us from your nonsensical beliefs.

And the fact that it was the least profitable Zelda doesn't mean it wasn't Nintendo attempting to cash in on OoT (because they were) -- rather, it proves that gamers saw Majora's Mask for what it was and avoided it like the plague. Good for them. I got Majora's Mask for free and even then I felt like it was a waste of my resources. A big fat waste of time.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:37 AM   #7
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I really hope you're not a member of ZeldaUniverse ZJ. >_>
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-15-2008, 02:46 AM   #8
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Majora's Mask is seriously underrated. I don't consider it the best Zelda game of all time, but it's certainly enjoyable and unique. I like that. Definitely not the worst Zelda ever.

Forget Kane and watch Silence of the Lambs, Talon. Being a Simpsons fan totally ruins the appeal of Kane, though I did enjoy it when I watched it years ago.

Bobo.

Edit: Addition- I didn't like All Quiet on the Western Front. Good Will Hunting was quite good though, I think you'll appreciate it as well.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:55 PM   #9
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuande
Quote:
Tell us about the first time you woke up and realized that you were a total faggot.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:58 PM   #10
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoise
Quote:
Quote:
Tell us about the first time you woke up and realized that you were a total faggot.
Well, it was the damndest thing. I woke up, took a look a in the mirror, and I saw you, Reed! Then I woke up from the nightmare and was back to normal. You, on the other hand ... don't worry, Reed. I'm sure Nambla can hook you up with a job somewhere.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:14 AM   #11
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

I don't like M.Mask as much as OoT or Link to the Past. >.>

Also while I (sorta) agree with Talon I think he lost his right to have opinions when he said he hated Family Guy.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:19 AM   #12
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

No longer the worst Zelda ever, according to Talon =O
Old 03-16-2008, 03:06 AM   #13
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Since this topic has degraded into LOL OPINIONS;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Emperor
Also while I (sorta) agree with Talon I think he lost his right to have opinions when he said he hated Family Guy.
Family Guy's not that great really. Most of the humour revolves around being as crude/offensive as possible, and if low-brow stuff like that (and movies like Borat, The 40-Year Old Virgin, and such) don't impress people there's not much appeal to FG. Personally, among the animated sitcoms, Futurama sits atop a pedestal for me. It's so perfect not even re-runs can bother me; a joy with every watch.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 03-16-2008, 06:31 PM   #14
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Aw, Talon mentioned Rosebud. And I was going to make a one word post too.

Oh well.

Haven't seen it, but I do know that it's the first time a man bore his chest on camera.

>You, sir, have NO TASTE. :x Worst ... Zelda ... EVER! :x

But Link made funny noises when you put on a mask! How can you not love that? Although, admittedly, MM is the closest thing Zelda has ever gotten to a filler.

In other news, there is no spoon.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 09:47 PM   #15
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
Well, it was the damndest thing. I woke up, took a look a in the mirror, and I saw you, Reed! Then I woke up from the nightmare and was back to normal. You, on the other hand ... don't worry, Reed. I'm sure Nambla can hook you up with a job somewhere.
Truly the wit I can expect from a man who thinks masturbating makes him fat.

Of course, reading some of your posts in the Brawl thread has made me realize that either 1)you don't know shit about games 2)you're clueless or 3)both:

Quote:
My sister and I played Free-for-All against two CPUs and each other (because we couldn't figure out how to do Co-Op) and then we did Co-Op Events (because by default 2 player Event mode is Co-Op), and it's official: gotta play this game with multiple people.
SSB is fun with multiple people? Congratulations, you are the moon master.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:09 PM   #16
Talon87
時の彼方へ

You were abused as a child, weren't you?
Old 03-17-2008, 08:54 AM   #17
Another Fan
Boulder Badge

You guys should just skip ahead and start throwing pies at each other.

Fizzy Bubbles Information[/center:ac83b]
Another Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:55 PM   #18
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos

What's this thread about?
Old 03-17-2008, 07:13 PM   #19
Betagold
Pokemon Trainer

It was about Citizen Kane, which I have yet to see, but now it's about seeing who can best each other in a delicate dance of wit and idiocy! Talon versus Blastoise, the battle of the century! I should be selling tickets. Why am I not selling tickets?
Betagold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:36 AM   #20
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos

What's Citizen Kane? I've only seen this phrase five times in this thread, which includes the title.

Anyway.

Let's go Blue!
Old 03-22-2008, 01:03 PM   #21
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

It's an old movie.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc