UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Time Out

Old 07-13-2013, 11:28 AM   #51
Shadowshocker
used First Impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Admiral Insane View Post
(Now a question since this might come up anyway: Isn't line 3 faulty?)
...Yeah, it was. It's harder getting rhyming moves like that than you'd think, so the thumbs-upping is much appreciated, gentlemen.
Shadowshocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:31 PM   #52
Escalion
Getting married! :D

Send a message via Skype™ to Escalion
Well, first off, thanks for all the reactions to my questions. I found it very interesting to read how people feel about Pokéspeech / intelligence and how you all RP your Pokémon in that regard.

I have to say that I'm pretty much on the same page as Talon on the aspect of Pokémon intelligence, I too follow the Anime. And Pokémon are, by whatever canon you use, able to understand and execute orders from their trainers, and without much, if any, training on the language department. Which in my head implies that Pokémon can understand human speech right out of the egg (look at Ash's scraggy or any ingame egg-hatch), and because of that I believe Pokémon have near-human intelligence and I RP my Pokémon in that way too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by empoleon dynamite View Post
As an updater it does irk me sometimes the way some people RP Poké-speech. I much prefer the sentence:
“Are you ready for adventure?” Alice teased, pulling at the Ponyta’s reigns - the mare giving a whinny and suddenly breaking into a gallop.

to this sentence:

“Are you ready for adventure?”
“Po-Ponyta, Ponyta!” (You bet I am, hold on tight!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Icarus View Post
“Are you ready for adventure?” Alice teased, pulling at the Ponyta’s reigns- the Ponyta gave an excited "Po-Ponyta!" and suddenly broke into a gallop, riding off into the sunset.
Taking these examples, I will always go for Icarus' version. When my Pokémon talk their trainer I never 'translate' the Pokémon's words. Not for Rowan and not for the reader. It's up to Rowan to figure out what it is that his Pokémon mean. And sometimes he gets it and sometimes he doesn't.

That being said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escalion View Post
3) A bit more specific, I'd like to know what others think of how I RP my Steelix.
You can take a look at my base to see how I RP with my Pokémon and in the difference in how they speak. And that's also the only place where I used my Steelix, he's not in zones.

I'd like to get some feedback and opinions, like what I'm doing well and what not. Cause basically, I've haven't received ANY feedback on my RPing since I started here other than a comment from Tess on my Arcane Realm intro post. Dunno if I write so good that there is nothing to comment on, but then I'd like to hear that too cause I do doubt stuff myself sometimes lol XD
I meant this part a lot more general. e.g. not only related to Pokéspeech. I noticed that when I RP with my Steelix I RP differently than when I RP with any of my other Pokémon. Well, on second thought it might be related though XD
Thing is, when I RP with my Steelix, everything, including thoughts are a complete narration, whereas with my other Pokémon I use more dialog and have them have a thought instead of narrating that thought. Kinda similar to Rose, my Ralts, come to think of it, though she's mute for a RP-reason, which I hope to be able to tell at some point, if an updater will give an opportunity

So I was kinda hoping for a bit of feedback on my writing style in general there, though I might have been more clear on that. FB most certainly isn't my first RP-experience, I've been active in about 3 other RP's before, but it would be nice to get some feedback, points of improvement or just hearing that I'm doing just fine with the quality of my writing.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkikuMew View Post
That been said... *le attempt* Back when I was posting into the RP zones more frequently and wasn't much into that "artistic burn-out", I gotta say I liked how MM pulled off RPing Chance's (his Wartortle) state of confusion within our sort-of trainer battle. Typically (I think) we tend only to RP only the outer state of the battling Pokemon, as most of our RPing is related to the trainer (not to mention it is, after all, trainers who calls in the attacks and whom we relate to the most). But in this case of the battle, since the trainers are not involved in the battle (not calling the attacks anyway), it pushed both of us to get into the state of mind of the battling Pokemon... which makes it interesting. And in that point, more so as the Pokemon is confused, and that is something you don't RP everyday And I find MM wrote Chance's state of mind well, despite not knowing perfectly how a Pokemon's confusion state feels ^^
Hadn't read it before yet, and gotta say, that was funny
I for one absolutely love that type of RPing with my Pokémon. Fizzy Bubbles is a Pokémon RP after all and my #1 focus is my Pokémon. I have the most fun RPing with my Steelix at the moment, in both my own base and EBE/BTM's base, letting him go rampant at everything that moves or looks at him funny. From a competitive perspective Behemoth's choices don't always make sense, but in his mind it's all perfectly logical as everything has a reason. And I totally love RPing that
Old 07-13-2013, 01:51 PM   #53
Marion Ette
Blades and Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by empoleon dynamite View Post
That being said, half of the discussions that have passed in this thread could have just as easily been brought up in the TO and I'm starting to wonder if there's any point to this thread at all.
That's a fair point, but I think the purpose of this thread is more about dealing with claim that focus has shifted away from RP in FB. If you look at the Egg House and WM thread, they encourage discussion about eggs and trading, and thus, those two topics thrive because they have their own threads dedicated to them. Ideally, this thread should similarly encourage a more focused, intense discussion about RP than what can be achieved in the TO. That's my opinion on the subject, at any rate. Of course, for the thread to actually work, meaningful discussion needs to happen beyond that of what we were generally doing in the TO (i.e. "Congrats on catching such-and-such", as Talon pointed out).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escalion
A bit more specific, I'd like to know what others think of how I RP my Steelix.
You can take a look at my base to see how I RP with my Pokémon and in the difference in how they speak. And that's also the only place where I used my Steelix, he's not in zones.

I'd like to get some feedback and opinions, like what I'm doing well and what not. Cause basically, I've haven't received ANY feedback on my RPing since I started here other than a comment from Tess on my Arcane Realm intro post. Dunno if I write so good that there is nothing to comment on, but then I'd like to hear that too cause I do doubt stuff myself sometimes lol XD
Behemoth's style of character is actually one I see frequently here on FB, which is that of the pure aggressivemon, though Behemoth obviously takes his own unique spin on that idea. I do think the narrative style lends very well to his rather self-centered, vicious mentality, since he would clearly be one to live inside his own head, letting nobody in but himself. That said, I'm still not clear on what his reasons are for "wanting a good challenge" and craving a fight. I know he's motivated by the desire for battle, but the origins of that desire are unclear. Self-betterment? An attempt at defending a fragile ego? A genetic component of being a Steelix? He can't be blind to the fact that he's larger than most Pokemon and essentially acting like a bully, though I could be wrong on that. In my opinion, I think you could definitely delve further into what motivates him to act the way he does, though one would assume that this wouldn't be done through Behemoth deeply meditating on his actions as he doesn't seem like that type of character. You'd probably want to draw those motivations out externally. For example, if he's self-conscious and acting out as a result of that, you could have him react to some threat to his ego in a subtly self-conscious way to gradually reveal that motivation (as a hypothetical example). Just as Rose has a reason for being mute, I would say Behemoth should have some sort of compelling reason for his need for a challenge, whatever that may be. I think what differentiates a character with depth from others is that they don't just have motivations... They have motivations with often complex psychological and environmental origins. Their motivations CAME from somewhere; they didn't just get written down on a character sheet and PRESTO. It is that focus on origin, I think, which a lot of people overlook.

Also, the Neville Warning applies to ANY character that tries to pull off the aggressivemon trope. I think you've been doing a great job so far tempering his aggressive tendencies with external factors (like having Rowan doing his best to monitor his behavior) and preventing him from jumping the border from aggressivemon (attacking everything that moves) to trollmon (DESTROYING everything that moves). These characters can quickly get annoying if they're too OP and/or too prolific in their violence towards other characters to the point where it interrupts other storylines and impedes RP progress. I think you're willing to RP the consequences for Behemoth's actions, which is super important for that type of character. An aggressivemon doesn't work if the aggressivemon can throw tantrums whenever he or she likes and never feel the ramifications for it.
Marion Ette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #54
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
If we're going on about RPing, mind if I just get a couple of opinions? Obviously, MZ's updates for my AR adventure have been on the long side (but that's a good thing!), but I like putting Dave's reaction to everything that happens during the update into my reply, which means that I've been rallying back with 1.5/2k word replies. Is... this normal? I mean it feels right, but then I see the bloody word count and worry that I'm overdoing it. I see some updates where people basically put succinct and short reactions, then the rest of their reply is what they're going to do next.

I mean, I think what I'm doing is right since MZ hasn't corrected me yet like an AR updator would, just wanna make sure I'm not screwing up ;;
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 03:11 PM   #55
MarbleZone
Soul Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
If we're going on about RPing, mind if I just get a couple of opinions? Obviously, MZ's updates for my AR adventure have been on the long side (but that's a good thing!), but I like putting Dave's reaction to everything that happens during the update into my reply, which means that I've been rallying back with 1.5/2k word replies. Is... this normal? I mean it feels right, but then I see the bloody word count and worry that I'm overdoing it. I see some updates where people basically put succinct and short reactions, then the rest of their reply is what they're going to do next.
No such thing as an overly long reply, in my opinion. It shows me that you're putting in the effort, and it motivates me to do the same. If anything, it's my fault for getting carried away with the plot and typing 5 pages per update; I know it's something I won't be able to keep up for long even if I wanted to, and it's not even something I should be doing in the AR. Like Charminions pointed out, it's shaping up to become a long adventure, which goes against the purpose of the zone, so I apologize for that in advance. Still, as long as you're having fun, I hope you won't hold it against me. :P

Quote:
I mean, I think what I'm doing is right since MZ hasn't corrected me yet like an AR updator would, just wanna make sure I'm not screwing up ;;[/COLOR]
If I have nothing to point out to an updatee, I usually go straight to the update itself. Trust me, if you were screwing up, I'd have no problems in letting you know :P
I've been very fortunate in my batch of AR updatees, to be perfectly honest. Most were already great roleplayers when they started their adventure, and those that weren't quite where I wanted them to be have improved really fast. At this point, all of you are pretty much ready to move on, but I can't move any faster than I already am, sorry :P
Old 07-30-2013, 05:24 PM   #56
Gemini Spark
Weavile Pillow

Send a message via Skype™ to Gemini Spark
Another curious look at Serebii's AR... Rotom310's Ekans can talk as of his intro post there. OUR CHARACTERS NEED TO MEET EACH OTHER. NOW. =D

Battlecut made by the crazy Daisy! *happy snek sounds*
Twitch | YouTube | Twitter | Wild Future
Gemini Spark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:39 PM   #57
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

I posted this in the general TO thread, but I think it wouldn't be out of place here; I'm giving consideration to an idea I had some time ago- a family reunion for Emp's Eevee. 15 Eevee were traded away by Emp, including the Shiny one, and I've been sitting on the idea of a reunion for them for a while now. This, I feel, is a good time to put this idea into motion- things have been going somewhat slow as of late, and I think this is just what we need to get things moving around here again.

Now then, I was thinking maybe I could host this event in my Secret Base, but if anyone has any alternative suggestions, please, by all means speak up.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:06 PM   #58
OkikuMew
Droppin' CDs and beats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingno. Master View Post
Ah, OK. Nice touch, then, with mistaking him for a girl. Can't wait to see what you got in mind for a female Slowpoke.

And yeah, this kinda would work in the Adventurer Daily thread, wouldn't it? I might have posted this there in the first place, but I have the last post in that thread, and after being on Serebii for years, I've developed something of an aversion to double posting.
There, I fixed it :P And I know how it feels with double-posting, I'm the same. In fact, I've been in forums where the double-posting related rules where more strict than Serebii, so... ^^;

And I can't wait to get a female Slowpoke for running that idea myself! ^^ Perhaps I'll have that chance of actually putting that character into place concretely with my upcoming Mystery Egg~

It's been quite awhile I had such a good inspiration for a personality like I had I'm so excited of having her already, in fact, that I'm barely holding myself of reveling what is my idea right now XD

Art || FB || WF || Tumblr
OkikuMew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:39 PM   #59
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
There, I fixed it :P And I know how it feels with double-posting, I'm the same. In fact, I've been in forums where the double-posting related rules where more strict than Serebii, so... ^^;

And I can't wait to get a female Slowpoke for running that idea myself! ^^ Perhaps I'll have that chance of actually putting that character into place concretely with my upcoming Mystery Egg~

It's been quite awhile I had such a good inspiration for a personality like I had I'm so excited of having her already, in fact, that I'm barely holding myself of reveling what is my idea right now XD
Well, good luck with getting that Slowpoke. Hell, I got a Psychic Egg that's hatching this Monday, so you never know. And I know what that's like, just getting inspired for a Pokémon's personality. As soon as I had seen that darkrai had won a Shadow Ledyba back in November, I immediately came up with the idea which is now what you see in Stewie's bio (based partly off his namesake, and partly off the Ledian in one of those PokéStar Studio movies). Also, I take it most of you already know what I'll be doing with my future Jigglypuff, correct? Started when I was watching this YouTube video, and the ideas just kinda came to me one after the other.

(warning- the video contains an exceptionally creepy Jigglypuff image, and consists of Jigglypuff singing the Lavender Town theme music, so if you feel any of that would scare you, just giving you fair warning)

I also have personalities worked out for my future Spiritomb and Wynaut, as well as any potential Cubone, Drowzee, Wooper, and Pansear (they all gotta be male, though). I won't say what they are, though as my Spiritomb will be named Crowley, Supernatural fans may already have guessed that one. I actually try to work out at least a rough idea of a personality for my Pokémon before I get it, as I generally update my member post with the new Pokémon, complete with bio, the exact instant I close the trade, or pick up the new hatchling, or confirm the capture, or whatever the case may be, even if I don't work it out any significant amount of time beforehand.

(nicknames; Stewie = Shadow Ledian)
Old 08-02-2013, 09:53 PM   #60
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
>exceptionally creepy Jigglypuff image

Pfft, I got desensitised for Pokémon From Hell ages ago.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:31 PM   #61
OkikuMew
Droppin' CDs and beats

Quote:
Well, good luck with getting that Slowpoke. Hell, I got a Psychic Egg that's hatching this Monday, so you never know. And I know what that's like, just getting inspired for a Pokémon's personality. As soon as I had seen that darkrai had won a Shadow Ledyba back in November, I immediately came up with the idea which is now what you see in Stewie's bio (based partly off his namesake, and partly off the Ledian in one of those PokéStar Studio movies). Also, I take it most of you already know what I'll be doing with my future Jigglypuff, correct? Started when I was watching this YouTube video, and the ideas just kinda came to me one after the other.

(warning- the video contains an exceptionally creepy Jigglypuff image, and consists of Jigglypuff singing the Lavender Town theme music, so if you feel any of that would scare you, just giving you fair warning)

I also have personalities worked out for my future Spiritomb and Wynaut, as well as any potential Cubone, Drowzee, Wooper, and Pansear (they all gotta be male, though). I won't say what they are, though as my Spiritomb will be named Crowley, Supernatural fans may already have guessed that one. I actually try to work out at least a rough idea of a personality for my Pokémon before I get it, as I generally update my member post with the new Pokémon, complete with bio, the exact instant I close the trade, or pick up the new hatchling, or confirm the capture, or whatever the case may be, even if I don't work it out any significant amount of time beforehand.

(nicknames; Stewie = Shadow Ledian)
Psychic Egg hatches, WOO! *shot repetitively* But yeah, I definitely know what you have in store for your future Jigglypuff X) I can't wait to see her in action :3

I'm almost the same way too, for making personalities and such in advance! It's actually my favorite part of RPing (more than the RPing itself to be honest ^^;) so I always get a good shot at it when I have the chance! Perhaps that's why I felt more compelled of RPing Marbles' trade despite my writing motivation being sluggish. I actually had a list with all the Psychic Pokémon lines (including each Unown) along with possible names for them, both for male and female! XD Unfortunately I lost said list as the hard drive of my computer who had it fried/died on me, with no backup of it on my other computer ;-; I could still make another when I'll have the time/I feel bored/get inspiration though

My inspiration for personalities usually starts from the names I plan to give, and where I get the names ranges from my childhood, video games, friends, or just cool people/gods/whatever X) At times it stays pretty simple and very much based from where I got the name (ex.: Rawk from Paper Mario: TYD) but at other times I get more creative because there's not much info on said inspiration (Mugen from the Japanese legend that based the Bronzor line), I feel like to mess/mixing it up with what the typical Pokémon's species is (Spi from Cowboy Bebop), and/or since it came from my childhood it was something I came up with before (Max, sharing the name of my favorite plushie) or had no actual character related to what I named it after (Marbles, which I loved collecting those). I would sometimes take forever to find something though, especially when the Pokémon doesn't spark anything right on the spot ^^; Take Mugen for example, who I felt no connection to it 'till I read the inspiration of his species. It came even to a point I could make some kind of special relation to Okiku XP

(I guess I gotta put my nicknames too ^^; Rawk: Staravia, Mugen: Bronzor, Spi: Natu, Max: Poochyena, Marbles: Slowpoke)

Quote:
>exceptionally creepy Jigglypuff image

Pfft, I got desensitised for Pokémon From Hell ages ago.
Hipster hectic trainer? *shot*

Art || FB || WF || Tumblr
OkikuMew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:51 PM   #62
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
Psychic Egg hatches, WOO! *shot repetitively* But yeah, I definitely know what you have in store for your future Jigglypuff X) I can't wait to see her in action :3

I'm almost the same way too, for making personalities and such in advance! It's actually my favorite part of RPing (more than the RPing itself to be honest ^^;) so I always get a good shot at it when I have the chance! Perhaps that's why I felt more compelled of RPing Marbles' trade despite my writing motivation being sluggish. I actually had a list with all the Psychic Pokémon lines (including each Unown) along with possible names for them, both for male and female! XD Unfortunately I lost said list as the hard drive of my computer who had it fried/died on me, with no backup of it on my other computer ;-; I could still make another when I'll have the time/I feel bored/get inspiration though

My inspiration for personalities usually starts from the names I plan to give, and where I get the names ranges from my childhood, video games, friends, or just cool people/gods/whatever X) At times it stays pretty simple and very much based from where I got the name (ex.: Rawk from Paper Mario: TYD) but at other times I get more creative because there's not much info on said inspiration (Mugen from the Japanese legend that based the Bronzor line), I feel like to mess/mixing it up with what the typical Pokémon's species is (Spi from Cowboy Bebop), and/or since it came from my childhood it was something I came up with before (Max, sharing the name of my favorite plushie) or had no actual character related to what I named it after (Marbles, which I loved collecting those). I would sometimes take forever to find something though, especially when the Pokémon doesn't spark anything right on the spot ^^; Take Mugen for example, who I felt no connection to it 'till I read the inspiration of his species. It came even to a point I could make some kind of special relation to Okiku XP

(I guess I gotta put my nicknames too ^^; Rawk: Staravia, Mugen: Bronzor, Spi: Natu, Max: Poochyena, Marbles: Slowpoke)
You came up with potential nicknames for each and every Psychic-type, including one for each gender, and one for each Unown form? Wow. Just... Wow. I mean, I know what my future Trubbish will be called, be it male or female (I'm actually considering maybe getting two if I can- one to keep as an adorable Trubbish, one to evolve into a badass Garbodor- but I'd be perfectly happy with just one), but that's about it. That takes dedication right there.

As for my Pokémon's nicknames, I generally just pick names of Harry Potter characters that I think work for the character, whether it's due to similar personalities, or just because it just sounds right, or whatever the reason, though I've also used astrological signs, and kinds of poison. Melittin, my Beedrill, is named after a component in bee venom, for example. There are also exceptions to even those, such as Six, my Foongus- by an amazing coincidence, he hatched not only on November 6th, but also six months, to the day, from when my previous Egg had hatched (the Ghost Egg which produced Peeves, my Dusclops). To top it all off, he was actually supposed to hatch the day before. Forget inspiration, I was ready to call that a friggin' sign that he should be named Six. And as previously stated, Stewie's name (and a decent chunk of his personality) was inspired by Family Guy. Though I did actually work out his general personality months ago, I only worked in the Family Guy inspiration the day of the trade, but it fit in almost too well with the general idea. Pepperspray, my Koffing, well, I just saw the words pepper spray somewhere when I was looking on Wikipedia for kinds of poison to possibly name him after, and something just clicked. And as for Shelley, well, in the trade post where I got her, Keith told Meowth that it just sounded like a pun on the fact that she had a shell. Which it basically was. It was the best idea I had at the time, though now I like it.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:21 PM   #63
EpicSquirtle
Adrift in a sea of dreams

>Origins of pokemon's names

The main basis for my pokemon's names usually mean something that relates to them in english or another language (Kage, meaning shadow. Tasu, meaning plus, Botch meaning to ruin) Another one I like to use, though it's unoriginal, is to use part of the species name, or a pun on what they are know for. (bell-Sprout, ai-Pom, teleport- Telpo,)

My favourite one is Kage though, as it has a double meaning, not only does it mean shadow, but Kage is the first part of Shuppet's japanese name, which is the pokemon her boy friend was reincarnated into.
EpicSquirtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:28 PM   #64
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSquirtle View Post
My favourite one is Kage though, as it has a double meaning, not only does it mean shadow, but Kage is the first part of Shuppet's japanese name, which is the pokemon her boy friend was reincarnated into.
So wait, were you planning all along for Aco to be reincarnated as a Shuppet?
Old 08-03-2013, 08:52 AM   #65
EpicSquirtle
Adrift in a sea of dreams

Quote:
So wait, were you planning all along for Aco to be reincarnated as a Shuppet?
More of hoping for it. Any male ghost type would have been fine.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:50 PM   #66
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

So I'm looking for opinions. In my AR adventure, I'm about to face a Gothita who used Magic Room. I was thinking about having my Pokedex scan the move to determine what it does.

Is the Pokedex considered an item that would be prohibited? The games don't allow use of the Pokedex in battle whether the move is in effect or not. Is this a grey area?
jolteonjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:01 PM   #67
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolteonjak View Post
So I'm looking for opinions. In my AR adventure, I'm about to face a Gothita who used Magic Room. I was thinking about having my Pokedex scan the move to determine what it does.

Is the Pokedex considered an item that would be prohibited? The games don't allow use of the Pokedex in battle whether the move is in effect or not. Is this a grey area?
I think it could be interesting if your updator counts it as your attack for that turn. Like, in the games when you use an item (berries, potions, flutes, etc), you don't get to use them and attack. It's one or the other but not both. In FB, obviously you can chain attacks together, but so too can the enemy, so it's still a 1:1 sort of correspondence usually, with them usually getting one action for every one action you have as well.

So like, I imagine that if you tried to use your PokéDex, a lot of things could happen. I'm kind of loath to be more specific since I don't want to give either you or your updator ideas which would steer the direction of the update, but like ... I can see it being something for the both of you to make good use of.

Alternatively, you could RP your character more like ... well, just about every character we've ever seen in the anime. ^^; I don't think any of them ever really use a Pokédex, Pokégear, Pokénav, Pokétch, or Xtransceiver [/lol one of these things is not like the others] to look up what attacks do. Ash uses his Pokédex to look up Pokémon, and occasionally the encyclopedia will tell him a particular attack name or ability. But like ... I don't know that he's ever seen a Pokémon doing an attack like Power Whip and gone "WHAT'S THAT!? :O" and then tried to use the Pokédex to look it up. Not to mention that none of the items in the real games are encyclopedic with respect to attacks or abilities. (In BW2, you can phone Cheren about abilities; but, iirc he doesn't even tell you what they do, just which Pokémon have what.)

In the end, what do you have to lose BUT YOUR CHARACTER'S LIFE!?
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:05 PM   #68
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
>iirc, he only tell you who has them and not what they do

It was from Cheren that i learned that Levitate has no effect on Sand-Attack.

Anyways, on this subject, I've always RPed Pokedexs as something that the person would use in their update and automatically get the information from. You can look in many of my RP posts where I use a Pokedex and its gives me information back in the same posts.

On the topic of Magic Room, I would only have it effect items that would have bearing on the match. Unless you start having your Pokemon beat the Gothita with the Pokedex, it probably isn't going to do anything.

But that's MY opinion. And everybody has one.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:08 PM   #69
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

I just read the rules of this thread. ^^; I can delete this discussion if this is constituting a poll.

I understand what you're saying, Talon, about it counting as an attack in the battle (like using a potion or berry would), and I think that's a fair assumption. On the other hand, I understand Blaze's point of view too. LOL. Depending on what other people think I may just combine my Plan B with Plan A (Plan A being the Pokedex).

I'm in a graveyard, so I possibly could lose my life. o.O
jolteonjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:08 PM   #70
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Asking "what would you do?" sounds like a poll on the surface of it, sure, but it's largely the nature of the question that determines whether a poll is really a poll or not (if that makes sense). Like ... to me, these are the sorts of polls I would prefer people not really post here:
  • If a spot opened up in any zone, which would you want to sign up for?
  • Which was your very first capture?
  • Who was your meanest updator?
While these are the sorts of "polls" that make perfect sense for a thread like this:
  • In Zeruo's zone update, Jeff responded by tackling the Metagross head on. If it were me, I would have {done it this way}. <---------- implied invitation for others to express how they would or would not have done it
  • Wow, a triple capture in one post. Has there ever been anything like this in FB history before? <------------ a question which subtly could pass for a poll as it's asking people to submit what the remember as the craziest thing in FB's history of permitted captures
I dunno. It's 12:03am and I haven't eaten more than a peanut butter sandwich and some Doritos for lunch. :\ But suffice to say, I don't feel like your question is in the same company as questions like "What Pokémon do you hope to capture in a zone next? :3" or "Who are you planning to use next in a zone?" The idea of the thread was more to give concrete encouragement or feedback to people who are actively adventuring than to invite forgettable dead-end speculation and daydreaming from the entire active body. I wanted a place where I could say to people what people have said to me. "Wow, that was awesome!" "I really liked what you wrote." "That was really well done!" "Ah, good try. ^^; I've been there and done that. Don't worry, you'll get 'im next time!" A place where people's triumphs and failures could be discussed, their triumphs celebrated, their failures sympathized with. I didn't really want to make a thread that basically copies and pastes all of the TO's pointless polls and just puts them here. It is in that sense that your question about the Pokédex doesn't feel at all like a "standard poll" to me. You're not asking people a 1-minute question with a 5-second answer. You're not just trying to generate conversation in what you feel is a dead thread or forum. You honestly have something to discuss, that can be discussed with numerous people all interacting with one another, sharing ideas and commenting on each others', etc. A question whose answer could very well end up affecting how you and your updator move forward with your story. "Which zone is your favorite? " or "If you had to release any one Pokémon your team, who would it be?" it is not.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:32 AM   #71
Escalion
Getting married! :D

Send a message via Skype™ to Escalion
Kinda just posting here now to say thanks to ME ^_^

Thank you for the feedback you gave here. It helped me a lot with deepening out reasons behind my Pokémon's behavior, Behemoth in particular. As you pointed out there hasn't really been a 'why' to the way especially my Steelix behaves. And that's because I hadn't really thought of 'why' other than -It's a Steelix, bulba says they're aggressive, lets go with that- while especially my Steelix has a great background to explain a much better and deeper 'why'. And I would probably never have thought of it if you didn't make me think about it.

In my last few posts in my Base I've put a lot thought and time in the battle between my Steelix and MM's Beedrill, trying to deepen his character (and hope I did a good job at that lol ) and if it wasn't for your feedback it might all just have gone otherwise (e.g. wrong). So I thank you for that
Old 08-16-2013, 11:32 AM   #72
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escalion View Post
Kinda just posting here now to say thanks to ME ^_^

Thank you for the feedback you gave here. It helped me a lot with deepening out reasons behind my Pokémon's behavior, Behemoth in particular. As you pointed out there hasn't really been a 'why' to the way especially my Steelix behaves. And that's because I hadn't really thought of 'why' other than -It's a Steelix, bulba says they're aggressive, lets go with that- while especially my Steelix has a great background to explain a much better and deeper 'why'. And I would probably never have thought of it if you didn't make me think about it.

In my last few posts in my Base I've put a lot thought and time in the battle between my Steelix and MM's Beedrill, trying to deepen his character (and hope I did a good job at that lol ) and if it wasn't for your feedback it might all just have gone otherwise (e.g. wrong). So I thank you for that
Personally, I think you've been doing a good job with Behemoth's character as of late. I know sometimes someone will have their Pokémon behave a certain way without there really being a "why" to it. I know I'm guilty of that from time to time. When I first got Cyanide, I didn't really have there be much of a reason to her bad personality, nor her interest in the Poison-type, though more recently, I decided to give her a reason for it, as seen in ES's Secret Base. That said, sometimes a Pokémon's behavior will go without saying- for instance, Stewie's nasty personality and general evilness shouldn't need much of an explanation, given that he's a Shadow Pokémon.

And speaking of fixing past RP-based mistakes, I've also been trying to work around my previous habit of not RPing evolutions by RPing them by way of flashbacks. My latest post in Escalion's Secret Base is an example of that, as Pomona has a flashback to when she evolved from Bulbasaur.

(nicknames; Cyanide = Umbreon; Stewie = Shadow Ledian; Pomona = Ivysaur)
Old 08-28-2013, 12:19 PM   #73
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbluecorsola View Post

Original Source: Pixiv

Summer was ending.

Spoiler: show
When Taki’s wounds had healed, Jess took her team on a trip. They traveled to the garden in the sky; a place of beauty and beginnings. For her, this site held some of her most precious memories. Rather than retracing her origins, today she took a new path into unacquainted territory. A road of red led her to the verge of a plateau, where she mounted Epona for more ease of movement across the expanse. Galloping through the dust, recollections rose of another ride she once took. Back then, she felt only despair, heading towards doom. This was different. Here, heat meant hope. Though her steed was smaller and less sure this time, the warmth she shared was comforting.

They arrived at the center, far from sights and civilization. Dusk and chill were setting, so Taki helped set up camp with Jess and Link, while Hoshiko searched for wood to start a fire… Only to realize they weren’t in a forest, and so she substituted Patty and Pan instead. Waffle and Blue began heating up the dinner they’d packed, while Midna yawned and stretched herself on a rock, keeping a lazy eye on the proceedings. Others wandered off to play or explore, returning to the smell of roasted weenies.

As darkness fell, they settled sleepily around the flames, toasting marshmallows and telling ghost stories. Taki shuddered at appropriate points in their tales, but smiled secretly to herself, knowing she had actually encountered spiritual experiences the rest wouldn’t believe. Hoshiko took out her ocarina and started softly playing “Home on the Range”, switching to an animated jig at Iris’s request. Taki was absorbed in watching the Petilil’s silhouette twirl and pass behind the flickering film, shifting shades from orange to gold. Jess had to tap her to draw her attention up to the stars, where some of them were descending in white streaks, as if dreaming to join the dance. They fell straight into the scarlet screen, burning brightly as jealous sparks before fading into ashes over the stage. Such was the short life of a promising starlet. Iris outshone them all, keeping in perfect step despite the background noise. Even enhanced by it.

“Y’know, I wanted to come here with your original trainer.”

Jess spoke to the air, but Taki’s ears perked all the same.

“But…” A beat, and she swallowed. “It seems he’s not coming back anytime soon. So I wanted to ask you something,” she blurted before the news could fully sink. “How would you like to stay with us, indefinitely?”

She looked down at the bundle of fur in her lap, seeing space reflected in those large, luminous eyes.

“I-I might not always be here to take care of you either, but everyone else will. They’ll always be here, so if you need anything, feel free to ask them…”

The little fox leapt on the girl’s chest, licking her face in acceptance, telling her it was okay.

It’s all right! I’m glad. I’m so glad. I… It’s like a dream.

All I ever really wanted was a place I could call home… A family to return to…

I want to stay... Please.

Jess stunned in surprise, then gently returned the gesture, holding Taki close as she patted her Pokémon’s head. Their tears of joy mixed as the remainder gathered around, welcoming their “newest” member. Surrounded by happiness, Taki leaned against her trainer and made a WISH to the heavens. Together, they counted the falling lights until she couldn’t keep her lids open anymore, and slowly drifted off.

-

In her visions, where normally there were nightmares, she saw instead a garden bathed in sunlight. A mirage in the rain. A white beach, with waves breaking. The smell of blueberry pie. And at the end…

-

Thank you, for watching over me until now. Forgive me.

You’re going back?

Even though there’s no one waiting for you?

No…

I’ve got a place to go home to now.

Ah… A place… Where I can shine with all my might…

I think, I may have found it.

-

Morning came, and Jess looked down at her sleeping bag to find an unfamiliar creature lying next to her. She puzzled for a moment, then realization dawned on her as she giggled and stroked Taki, tickling her awake. Link jumped on top of the dogpile, and soon the tarp had collapsed into shambles from the tussling, startling the others who were still asleep. They eventually all laughed, and packed up the broken mess before heading back to the Base. At the threshold, Jess stopped and turned, holding her hand out to Taki. The look on the girl’s face told Taki that, finally, her WISH had come true, as Jess whispered the words she had waited so long to hear:

“Welcome home.”

Congratulations! Your Taki evolved into ESPEON!
Awwww. ^^; Natsume Yuujintaki.

This is the sort of post that really makes me want to get my own butt into gear with some RPs for my own team. The artwork and Taki's dialogue really sold it. XP
Old 08-28-2013, 12:25 PM   #74
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Awwww. ^^; Natsume Yuujintaki.

This is the sort of post that really makes me want to get my own butt into gear with some RPs for my own team. The artwork and Taki's dialogue really sold it. XP
There's a bit of Full Moon dialogue thrown in there as well. ;O (Although, now that you mention it, I didn't use the word "friend" in there at all, did I? ^^; Whoops.)

I was gonna draw my own art for it, but I lost it due to a computer crash and didn't feel like re-doing it. =3= Plus this pic is really pretty and already perfect for what I had in mind~ <3

Also yes you should get your butt in gear and RP. *nod nod* *kicks*
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:42 PM   #75
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Very well written, lilblue. And congrats on Taki's evolution! Definitely a great way to RP the evolution.

And speaking of Eevee, I'm still open to ideas regarding where to RP the Eevee family reunion (which I have decided to name The Re-Eeveening, credit for that idea goes to lilblue). I'm thinking of hosting it at my Secret Base, but if anyone has any other ideas, then by all means, please speak up. I'm thinking of getting it started soon.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Time Out