UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

View Poll Results: Ikarishipping or Penguinshipping?
Ikarishipping 0 0%
Penguinshipping 2 100.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-20-2016, 12:11 AM   #1
satosere
Cascade Badge

Ikarishipping- should I even bother?

Ikarishipping is something that I recently started liking. But- should I even bother? Dawn just hates Paul and Paul never even notices her or anything. The reason I started liking it was because ships with "fighting" characters tend to draw me in. Ugh! What's better! Ikarishipping or Penguinshipping???

P.S.- what's Barry and Dawn shipping even called?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by satosere; 01-20-2016 at 12:18 AM.
satosere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 12:26 AM   #2
Talon87
時の彼方へ

You may as well ship C-3PO and Boba Fett if you're going to ship Dawn and Paul. The two have barely any interaction whatsoever, and even if Dawn can be said to dislike Paul (and we want to fangirl-imagine that outward dislike somehow masks inward liking), Paul can hardly be said to even acknowledge Dawn exists, much less like or dislike her.

Stupid ship is stupid. Sorry, you're better off shipping Pikachu with Mimey than you are this crap. About as bad and baseless as Iris x Trip.

Please don't make an Iris x Trip thread. ಠ_ಠ
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 01:23 AM   #3
precita
Boulder Badge

Dawn's main ship (if you didn't ship her with Ash), was with Zoey:

Zoey was pretty much the animes first canon lesbian character. Her interactions with Dawn were also clearly flirty, although they went over Dawn's head.

Also notice how Zoey/Dawn designs resemble the leads from the Dirty Pair anime, which is why the writers designed Zoey's look. Had it not been a lesbian ship the writers probably would have pushed it as hard as Contestshipping or Amourshipping.
precita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 02:49 AM   #4
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

As Precita says, Appealshipping is a great ship with lots of support. I'm also a fan of Penguinshippin, which has a similar dynamic of Kenny clearly being interested in Dawn but Dawn being mostly oblivious (to be fair, her traveling partner is Ash, and as they say you gain characteristics of people you hang out with...).

That said, at the end of the day, it's really about what makes you happy. Back in the day I used to be really hardcore about Shipping being "the science of relationships" and "determining what characters would make the most believable couples based on a range of factors", but now I realize that not everyone is the same as me on that aspect and, you know what? That's fine. The entire reason we watch shows in the first place is because we enjoy them, feel free to do whatever or feel however optimizes your enjoyment! Even if that means shipping Akarishipping.

A little bit of a rant on why I, personally, don't like Akarishipping below. Feel free to skip it if you want!
Spoiler: show
The thing is, there is basis to why people like, as it's called, "slap-slap-kiss" relationships. When characters are shown to be constantly be jumping eachother's necks, it shows us that they care enough about the other to nitpick on them. When they're at it a lot, it demonstrates they really care about eachother, and makes for great Rivals, Friends, and/or Romantic Interests alike. However, there's an important caveat to this- "slap-slap-kiss". If the characters never show any tenderness or affection for the other... That's not really a good basis for a relationship, now is it? You can't build a romantic- or even any kind of positive- relationship based on hatred and enmity. Of course, there are exceptions! If a character despises another, and then an event occurs which gives them a new perspective or shows them another side of the character? Ice broken, all bets are off, it can go anywhere from there. I assume Akarishippers mostly fall into two camps- Those who were waiting for an event like that, and those who felt some strings of similarity between the two and classic tsundere ships, not realizing that the crucial 'dere' part was missing.

But, back to the topic, imop Akarishipping doesn't even have the "I fight you because I care" aspect. Paul doesn't fight Dawn; He just gives her the cold shoulder and an ample helping of disdain. Dawn does get on his case a few times, but is that because she cares about him, or because she feels his personality is an affront to his pokemon and everyone around him? I believe it's the latter. I mean, I could write an entire story based of the former scenario (and stories have been written based on it- See pretty much anything with an "Ice Queen" character). But the two have no history, little interaction, and what few chances they have to interact, Paul shows nothing but cold disdain for her, and Dawn in turn shows nothing but defensiveness for her friends' sake. At least, imop.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 03:30 AM   #5
precita
Boulder Badge

The only reason people shipped Paul with Dawn is because they were the first two DP characters revealed (Dawn and Paul were on the promotional materials, Paul debuts in the third episode of DP), and the other characters didn't come later.

Lots of bored Pokeshippers were in a rush to pair Dawn off with someone outside of Ash, and I think they wrongly assumed Paul was going to be to Dawn what Drew was to May. They thought Ikarishipping would be the next Contestshipping or something. When in reality Paul and Dawn barely interact, and Drew/May were rivals so of course they would constantly interact/battle and be in the same arc.

Of course Zoey debuted in episode 11 of DP, Appealshipping got very popular. Likewise people shipped Dawn with Ash too, and prior to Serena's introduction the Ash/Dawn dynamic was very popular among shippers.

Basically bored/bitter Pokeshippers are always looking to pair the new girl with someone outside of Ash. They got lucky with Contestshipping, but after that its more ambiguous. They tried shipping Iris/Cilan together in BW (despite Iris and Cilan having no interest in each other whatsoever), and they try to pair Serena with Clemont in XY...even though Serena has a huge crush on Ash and Clemont is sort of oblivious to it all.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:31 PM   #6
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Relicanth

Quote:
Originally Posted by precita View Post
Dawn's main ship (if you didn't ship her with Ash), was with Zoey:

Zoey was pretty much the animes first canon lesbian character. Her interactions with Dawn were also clearly flirty, although they went over Dawn's head.

Also notice how Zoey/Dawn designs resemble the leads from the Dirty Pair anime, which is why the writers designed Zoey's look. Had it not been a lesbian ship the writers probably would have pushed it as hard as Contestshipping or Amourshipping.
My man. AppealShipping is the way to go.

I'm not sure whether I despise IkariShipping or ContestShipping more, honestly. Paul is just a mostly horrible person who keeps winding Ash up. Seeing how I basically see Ash and Dawn as long-lost siblings (or even if not that, pretty great friends by even a little way into DP), I can't see her going for this jerk who keeps putting down her best friend.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:35 PM   #7
Kuvario
Mysterious Knight

Why isn't there a "Neither" option on the poll?

As for the question, I hate Kenny and Paul doesn't seem interested in Dawn anyway. So I dislike both of the options.
Kuvario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:39 PM   #8
precita
Boulder Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
I'm not sure whether I despise IkariShipping or ContestShipping more, honestly. Paul is just a mostly horrible person who keeps winding Ash up. Seeing how I basically see Ash and Dawn as long-lost siblings (or even if not that, pretty great friends by even a little way into DP), I can't see her going for this jerk who keeps putting down her best friend.[/COLOR]
Drew's rivalry with May still helped her grow as a trainer and character, even if you don't like the ship. And honestly Drew lost a lot of his arrogance as AG progressed.

Paul and Dawn don't even have more than 3 scenes of interaction, all with Paul being completed disinterested or ignoring Dawn half the time.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:05 AM   #9
satosere
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post

My man. AppealShipping is the way to go.

I'm not sure whether I despise IkariShipping or ContestShipping more, honestly. Paul is just a mostly horrible person who keeps winding Ash up. Seeing how I basically see Ash and Dawn as long-lost siblings (or even if not that, pretty great friends by even a little way into DP), I can't see her going for this jerk who keeps putting down her best friend.
I've always seen Dawn and Zoey as just friends or rivals or something like that. Well let's just say that I've never really been into gay/lesbian ships that much... :/

About Ash + Dawn being long lost siblings: I used to think that when I was younger! Seriously. And I loved it so much. But get this- you know how Dawn's mom said that she and Barry's dad knew each other when they were younger? Well I was wondering... what if Barry and Dawn are long lost siblings??? I think that would make more sense! Because Dawn doesn't really have a dad (supposedly).

Am I the only person that believes in this theory? I sort of doubt it, but did I make it up???
Old 01-21-2016, 12:23 AM   #10
precita
Boulder Badge

Both Dawn and Barry are from Twinleaf town from what I remember, its similar to the games too.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:28 AM   #11
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Dawn = D
Paul = P

DP?

This is like the "Great Secret" Ball reincarnated!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 08:18 AM   #12
Mercutio
Banned

Paul totally wants Cynthia.

FringeShip anyone?
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 11:22 PM   #13
satosere
Cascade Badge

Paul looks way too young for Cynthia.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:12 AM   #14
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

It is the dream of every man in adolescence to date a woman in her prime (20's).

Case in point: Brock wasn't too young for Professor Ivy.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-22-2016, 04:04 AM   #15
Lanturn
Just keep swimming x2

Well huge age gap relationships do happen in real life!

[Current WF Adventure]
(lol totally should update these links)
Lanturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 04:44 AM   #16
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanturn View Post
Personal experience speaking, eh?

Anyway, Benjamin Franklin wrote a lot about how much better it was to, uh, "date" older women.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:13 AM   #17
Lanturn
Just keep swimming x2

No it just isn't very rare in Chinese societies

[Current WF Adventure]
(lol totally should update these links)
Lanturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 07:37 AM   #18
Mercutio
Banned

Also it's a universe where 10 seems to be the age of legal responsibility for your own actions.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 07:50 AM   #19
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

So it's Northern Ireland?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:58 PM   #20
satosere
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanturn View Post
Well I think that's sick
Old 01-23-2016, 12:13 AM   #21
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Sato, there might well be people here in aforementioned age gap relationships. Cool that you think it's "sick", but that's really not an acceptable response to make in public, because nobody gives a shit about whether you think it's "sick" or not.

Also, generally, the older you are the larger the "acceptable" age gap so I'm sure that's a factor.
Old 01-23-2016, 12:16 AM   #22
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
> Well I think that's sick

Think that all you like, but it doesn't make it right. I mean, on the one hand, this tends to be something that people change their opinions on as they get older. When you're young, 1-2 years seems like a big difference, and 5-6 looks huge. When you're older, it's like, "eh, it's not that big a difference". Like, I know I may be infamous for taking it to a logical extreme myself, but honestly, as long as you're both legal and of informed consent, it should be fine.

And yeah, it really does seem like the legal age of majority in all the world of Pokemon is 10
Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 12:29 AM   #23
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

I mean, at the end of the day if you're shipping 10 year olds anyway...
Old 01-23-2016, 12:30 AM   #24
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangeetsuper View Post
Sato, there might well be people here in aforementioned age gap relationships. Cool that you think it's "sick", but that's really not an acceptable response to make in public, because nobody gives a shit about whether you think it's "sick" or not.

Also, generally, the older you are the larger the "acceptable" age gap so I'm sure that's a factor.
Frankly I'm more put off by your response than hers. This is no way to talk to a 12-year old.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 02:25 AM   #25
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Settle down, boys. I think we're getting away from the real issue here.

And that issue is one man, one woman (or Pokemon). Why settle for a single ship, when you can ship them all?

Mmm, harem. So haram!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON