UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 05-15-2021, 05:13 AM   #1
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I'm sick of shaving

Two days ago I went in for electrolysis, because I don't like shaving and I'm willing to invest in permanent hair removal. Here's my experience.

One, it hurts. This is no joke and it's a major price you have to pay. I'd say it's about 50% actual pain and 50% psychological though. There's also a psychological element to each hair being permanently removed so like weight loss, every day, every hair gets you closer to your goal. This is counteracted by the other psychological factor of a big arse probe going into your hair follicles.

Two, pulling the hairs hurts more than the probe.

Three, hair is disgusting and unnecessary. But I don't recommend this procedure unless you're dedicated.

Four, different areas have different sensitivities. I had hair removed on the "medium" and "low" pain areas. Eventually, I will have to move to the high pain and I'm scared of that!

Five, sessions are hard to book and you need a lot of them. In my case, I want to remove my entire face except a mustache. It'll probably take me a year to reach tht goal.

I looked online but there wasn't a lot of info on electrolysis, at least not from a straight male perspective. I definitely an looking forward to a day when I am not 1) hot, 2) itchy, 3) sweaty and don't have to spend anything on razors.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 02:50 AM   #2
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Got second session yesterday, far less progress than I'd hoped with such a short session.

Getting your face ripped off is a laboured process it seems.

Won't see the technician until late next month, so there's some pressure to get more sessions in.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-03-2021, 10:34 PM   #3
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

Yo, I've done this! It's a very long and drawn out process for sure. One year is not enough; you'll be looking at least at 2 unless you had very little hair to start with.

The hairs do come back after a while and they require several burninatings to be fully eliminated. The nice thing, though, is that you go from shaving every day -> shaving every couple of days -> shaving every couple of weeks in the process.

One thing you can do to speed it up is to laser the whole surface a few times before you switch to electrolysis. The laser eliminates huge swaths at a time, but only in a weak way so they keep regrowing after a couple weeks. And then you switch to electrolysis to make it permanent.

*munch munch* | FB Profile
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 11:23 PM   #4
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Did you get whole face or another body part?

I've considered the laser treatment but not on the face. I wouldn't risk getting a laser anywhere near my eyes, goggles or no. I might get it for other parts.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-12-2021, 08:34 PM   #5
The Morg

Yeah, face laser, and it was fine. The provided eye protection is good enough. I feel like this is a common enough procedure that it would be noteworthy if someone actually damaged their eyes from it. Would be up to operator incompetence if anything.

Old 07-13-2021, 12:07 AM   #6
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Are the hairs GONE with laser or are they reduced to "peach fuzz", thin almost translucent hairs?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-13-2021, 09:49 AM   #7
Median Dia
Thankful For The Results

...Shouldn't that have been a question you asked before starting the operation?
Median Dia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 01:07 PM   #8
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

With electrolysis, the hairs are completely destroyed. But I've seen conflicting testimonies from laser removal firms and laser removal patients as to whether or not the hair is completely removed or the follicles just significantly weakened.

Laser is expensive, so I don't want to divert any funds to it if it's not permanent.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-13-2021, 09:52 PM   #9
The Morg

It's a permanent reduction, not removal. So you still need to go back to electrolysis after a few passes of laser. Still worth it to get a few, since it will vastly reduce the number of electrolysis sessions that you need. And you'll be doing this for several years. A man's beard is hormonal and will try its hardest to come back no matter what you throw at it.

And some places are actually using IPL and will lie to you and tell you that it's a "laser". IPL won't do ANYTHING to a beard. Avoid the place if they won't tell you what model of laser they are using, because you'll want to look it up and confirm that it's a true laser. Pew pew pew.

Old 07-14-2021, 08:54 PM   #10
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Honestly there are probably plenty of trans women who could also give good advice on this topic out there, especially for facial hair. HRT doesn't touch it for whatever reason (getting rid of this permanently is on my to do list).
Old 07-15-2021, 12:02 AM   #11
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I actually looked up LGBT experiences with it. It's the definition of YMMV because so many testimonies are complaints about various things that could be attributed to random chance or what stage in the process they're at.

Most of the hairs I've already had singed off have regrown, but I already acknowledged what Morg said that it'll take a long time for them to die permanently. 10 years ago I used to pluck my entire face clear and only stopped when I got a Staphylococcus aureus infection, courtesy of the ingrown hairs.

Hence why I hate ingrown hairs and will pay to murder body hair for good!!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 08-07-2021, 04:02 AM   #12
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Had session four today, slow progress is slow. We just got below nose line for the first time.

Next session at the end of the month will likely be another cleanup. I would have liked to schedule more hours but I'm out of money for the time being, Sep-Oct is always a cash crunch.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-25-2021, 08:19 AM   #13
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I've had some permanent reduction but there's been at least 60%+ growth every month. A bit depressing, I'd expect to see more clearing.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-08-2022, 06:34 AM   #14
NakiaFlatley
Pokemon Trainer

Nice one
NakiaFlatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 06:34 AM   #15
NakiaFlatley
Pokemon Trainer

Nice one and good blog
NakiaFlatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 08:37 PM   #16
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I know it's a bot but that last comment made me really mad for some reason! lolz

I'll say this. I spent like $800-$900 on electrolysis last year and it was ultimately only like 10% clearance. I didn't go in December and my face grew faster than lawn grass. But there is some notable clearing, making me think it's kind of random whether something breaks down or not.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 10-24-2022, 12:19 AM   #17
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

So yesterday, on Morg's advice from a while back, I did go in for laser hair removal.

It hurts badly. Worse than electrolysis? It hurts worse than electrolysis without numbing cream. It did cover a lot of areas though.

The 'beautician' only covered my face though and I don't think she got all of it, but there are multiple sessions scheduled. I also ordered the chest and abdomen, because I'm getting a ton of painful, ingrown hairs now there and on the face/neck. It's unbearable.

Ironically? Before laser, one has to shave, opposite of electrolysis. And even more contrasting the two, the areas where electrolysis hurts the least like the sideburns, are where laser hurts the most, and visa versa.

I'm a bit more mentally prepared for the next round.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 11-06-2022, 11:59 PM   #18
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Next week I have another laser session. I looked in the mirror and there are distinct "clearance zones" where the laser's effects could be seen. I'm confident enough that this works to look forward to the pain!

BUT! I'm a bit concerned that this will just lighten/soften hairs and not remove them...any input Morg?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 07-06-2023, 11:47 PM   #19
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Wow, it's...been a long time since I blogged bout this .

Since January, I have continued to get laser removal sessions. I have already done 8 sessions and I've had about 80% hair removal, but...what one finds is that 80% isn't nearly enough.

One needs 99% to look halfway decent, the regrowth makes the face look hideous, and despite not needing to shave consistently anymore I am still getting ingrown hairs from the regrowth.

Also, the older one gets, the higher incident of white/gray hairs that are still as thick as the black ones. These can only be addressed with electrolysis, although they do not present a "five o'clock shadow", so shaving them isn't as big a deal. It still looks gross though.

I estimate that if one is particularly hairy, it will take 16 treeatments - or 1.5 years - to get 99% reduction. Then one needs to go in with electrolysis and clean it up.

That said, having less facial hair has done wonders for my thermoregulation. I used to overheat in the face easily post-heat stroke due to the heavy thicket, and that is less of an issue now. Hair is fed by capillary blood vessels which also supply heat, meaning your hair is not only insulating, it is being fed by a constant stream of warm liquid. Burning/cauterizing the blood vessels shut via laser reduces this.

Overall, I have had way better results with this than electrolysis, especially in the ear, and I would recommend it to anyone who can dedicate a year's time. If one can commit to the gym, one can commit to laser removal. The ONLY DOWNSIDE is that the face takes way-too-long, and a year isn't enough.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 12-02-2023, 09:03 PM   #20
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Last post was way earlier than I thought. Huh.

Well, I couldn't have anymore laser done after September, I'm going to try and resume this month. In the interim, I had electrolysis to clear out the gray hairs the laser didn't get.

Different tech did it and didn't hurt nearly as bad with the numbing cream. Kind of pleasant even since the hairs themselves were so thick and obnoxious.

I'm kind of like an ugly peach atm. Not Princess Peach.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-18-2024, 12:29 PM   #21
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Man, Morg was basically on the button. 90% of my hair has been cleared out but it sure took a long time, alongside both electrolysis and laser sessions.

In retrospect, what I did in 2021 had almost no impact whatsoever. Getting the laser first and then cleaning up white hairs and black ones with electrolysis was the way to go.

It is/was quite expensive though (spent about $4000), although I don't regret it at all.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc