UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 05-27-2007, 03:37 PM   #1
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Battle Tower

I've been doing Battle Tower alot lately and I just have to say.. what a load of crap. The comp is super cheap/gay/lucky and it's driving me insane. Some pokes just spam double team/protect/toxic, while others have like super critical hit rates or 100% hynosis (ie. That guys Milotic).

Anyway I'm just venting cause I got steamrolled by a Rapidash with megahorn and thought it was retarded. >( Has anyone had any luck with this? I use a Staraptor, Latios and Weavil but once Staraptor dies the rest arn't as good.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 05:06 PM   #2
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Re: Battle Tower

My advice for Battle Tower, as always, is this ...

1 - have three sweepers, with at least one of each form of attack (Att, SpAtt), whose attacks and speeds are unrivaled in all the land (e.g. Infernape, Gengar, that sort of thing)

2 - always, always, always try to be as immune as possible (e.g. have a ghost so you're immune to Normal, have a ground-type so you're immune to Electricity, have a flier or a levitator so you're immune to Ground, etc.)

But you seem to be doing that already.
- Staraptor = sweeper immune to Ghost and Ground
- Weavile = sweeper immune to Psychic
- Latios = legendary

You might want to try Machamp if Blastoise is correct about No Armor/Guard being an ability which allows the monster to hit even the most pesky of annoyers (e.g. if they use Fly, they still get hit ... so says Reed and SmogOn, anyway). Machamp's none too fast, but he hits hard, won't miss, etc. Could be useful. Also, you may want to drop Latios in exchange for Gengar / Dusknoir (if you have a spare Reaper Cloth) / Mismagius, since it's always nice to be immune to normal attacks and, iirc, Gengar and Mismagius share the Levitate ability, granting them a 2ndary immunity to Ground.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 01:15 AM   #3

oh ya, i forgot to mention, soul dew doesn't work in BT. they fucking nulled the latis so much. :<

and also make sure you have stuff that will up your attack, not just attacks on your pokemon. I like to keep a swords dance or something so i can boost my attack during those first few gay turns. and explosion is god.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:20 AM   #4
SulcataIxlude
Cascade Badge

Send a message via AIM to SulcataIxlude Send a message via MSN to SulcataIxlude Send a message via Yahoo to SulcataIxlude

Azelf is pretty damn sexy in battle tower. With nasty plot, extrasensory (or psychic depending if you have taught it that or not... I haven't atm so extrasensory is somewhat decent :P), flamethrower, and thunderbolt you can dent plenty of pokemon in battle tower. Well in my experience anyways.
SulcataIxlude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 04:46 AM   #5
Lady Kuno

No wonder Latios has been sucking so much, I was wondering if the freaking dew was working at all and it's no shock that it wasn't.

As for Azelf, mine has the worst possible personality (adamant) with like 0-5 IVs across the board so that is out. I guess since I'm taking Latios out I'll post my 2 guys left.

Staraptor w/Life Orb Hasty
EV: No freaking clue cause I leveled up with it, but most of it seems to be atk+spd somehow
Quick Attack (life saver)
Arial Ace (also life saver due to fking Double Team gayness)
Close Combat
Brave Bird

Staraptor is my sweeper. His job is to kill everything in one hit and he does it really well. The only times I lose is when the opponent starts with some gay electric type that gets me para'd from Static (which happens ALL the time) or when they start with someone faster (Aerod or Weavil).

Weavil w/Muscle Band (or whatever the +10% atk thing is) Jolly
EV: Atk+Spd
Swords Dance
Ice Punch
Night Slash
Return

I rarely get to use Swords Dance because he has so many weaknesses I have to try to kill them first. But since he has no life orb or really strong attacks it's rare for him to one-shot anything.

Since Latios is out I need another fast guy with crazy strong attacks, like Straptors 120 damage stuff because that seems to work really well. The only times I lose is when someone is faster or when a bronzong uses Trick Room (which almost got me).

Old 06-09-2007, 07:17 PM   #6
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Does anybody have any tips for racking up Battle Points? I want to purchase several TMs (Stone Edge and Energy Ball come to mind), and I also need to purchase a few power-ups (Choice Scarf), but I'm having trouble putting up with the monotony of the Battle Tower. You fight seven retardedly easy battles that take 20 minutes of real time, and get 3 piddily points for it. Then you fight another seven battles for another 20 minutes to get another 3 points. And by the time you think you just might be getting somewhere, on battle #17, you lose to a ridiculous hax and you're back to square one, hugging your 6 BP and wondering how you'll ever get the hundreds of them necessary to triumph.

1 - Is there something I'm missing? Is there an item which doubles the amount of BP you get, maybe? [/overly optimistic]

2 - Which mode rewards best: Doubles-Duo, Doubles-Solo, or Singles? They seem to be equal so far, but I'm wondering if one doles out more points the farther you get in it as compared with the other modes.

3 - Is there a black market for Battle Tower items that exists yet? If so, what creatures are typically put up on the GTS holding the items? (For example of what I mean with this question, I'm asking if such a structure exists as seen below:
* people sell Choice Scarves in exchange for legendaries by putting them on Clefables
* people sell Choice Bands in exchange for legendaries by putting them on Swellows
* people sell Power Bracelets in exchange for legendaries by putting them on Machokes
* people sell TM06's in exchange for legendaries by putting them on Crobats )
Old 06-09-2007, 09:38 PM   #7
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichimaru
oh ya, i forgot to mention, soul dew doesn't work in BT. they fucking nulled the latis so much. :<
Lati@s is still pretty ridiculous even without Soul Dew. Awesome special stats, high speed, and great movepools even before the introduction of the "Gamefreak loves their dragons way too much" move (aka Draco Meteor).

Incidentally I got a good Azelf (modest and EV trained) in a trade, so I might be able to clone it for those of you who want to haxxor the battle tower.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:32 AM   #8
Lady Kuno

I would love a cloned Azelf if you don't mind giving for free. >.>

As far as talons post goes, you get 20 BP when you beat the Tycoon so... he gets me most of my points lol.

Old 06-10-2007, 08:07 AM   #9
ZoraJolteon
BBCode Master

Ridiculous Breloom abuse = win.

Superior Christmas Banner is Superior.
Also still looking for ref with brain, although not just now due to Tyranidos running in fear.
ZoraJolteon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 10:53 AM   #10
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Breloom users make me laugh. Every time I play against WiFi teams in the Battle Tower, my Starmie either OHKOs a Breloom or reduces it to 1 HP courtesy of it holding a Focus Sash. Then Breloom uses a STABbed grass attack against me like Seed Bomb and it only brings me down to around 40% health. And I say "buh-bye " to Breloom on the next turn with a sadistic Surf attack.

Actually, I'm impressed with how Godly my Starmie has been so far. The only cause for concern at the moment is ...
- I need to delete Recover for Ice Beam to handle Dragonite, or
- I need to delete Recover for Shadow Ball to handle Dusknoir

And I can't decide which to teach. Or if I even want to part with Recover.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:57 AM   #11
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

You do realize Battle Tower's AI is far worse then most human players right?

Starmie uses Psychic!
It's super effective!
[message about Focus Sash]
Breloom uses Spore.
Starmie fell asleep.
Breloom proceeds to rape things.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 11:16 AM   #12
Lady Kuno

No if it was really battle tower, Psychic would somehow miss and it's Seed Bomb would critical and ohko you.

Old 06-10-2007, 11:42 AM   #13
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

After doing some damage calculation, you can only get a 3HKO with Shadow Ball on a Dusknoir holding Leftovers, while Dusknoir is guarenteed to 2HKO you with Shadowpunch or 3HKO you with Shadow Sneak, and seeing as Shadow Sneak is a Ghost Quick Attack, it would definitely get you before you get him.

You might 2HKO while holding Wise Glasses and definitely with Specs, but if you're holding Specs, you don't have room for Recover anyway. Expert Belt might also work, but I'm not sure how much it helps so I'm not sure.

Ice Beam is almost necessary in the current battle metagame due to the popularity of Garchomp, Salamence, and others who are weak to Ice.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 11:56 AM   #14
Talon87
時の彼方へ

The thing is, Starmie holds his own against fellow Psychics thanks to his high SpDef, very high Speed, and resistance to Psychic attacks. The problem comes in when you consider how many Special sweepers have Shadow Ball. So I wanted to teach him Shadow Ball to offer him some sort of "biteback" against people who think they're going to fight fire with fire, so to speak, and switch in a Mismagius or something.

I also like the Gyarados OHKO that Thunderbolt affords. But I agree that it pales in comparison to the same OHKO Ice Beam affords against Dragonite, Flygon, Salamence, Garchomp, and Torterra. No comparison, Ice Beam is the move which will see more use.

So I was thinking ...
Current Starmie: (I rotate between these two)
a) Surf / Psychic / Ice Beam / Recover
b) Surf / Psychic / T-bolt / Recover

Suggested Starmie:
a) Surf / Psychic / Ice Beam / Shadow Ball
b) Surf / Psychic / Ice Beam / Thunderbolt

The question boils down to, "Who am I more afraid of? Special Sweepers weak to Ghost, or Gyarados?"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON