Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 01-28-2016, 06:16 PM   #1
tau
Cascade Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to tau
Let's Music

WE want YOUR Hipster Indie Garbage!

There are threads for music discussion.

There are threads for indicating that you play an instrument.

There are threads for general media recommendation and consumption.

Where are the threads for the bands?

Ratatat - Abrasive

Here's one. Let's shoot. Members in bands, solo artists, aspiring rappers or beat makers, skilled remixers and producers, whomsoever feels the need to have a place to discuss the MI or the art.

Wanna post rig rundowns? Go for it.

Wanna argue over whether or not a Telecaster is viable for harder songs? Feel free. (For the record, it is.)

Wanna post lyrics you've written, link songs you've created, promote gigs or debate the virtues of heavy distortion versus clean tones?

I'm not expecting this thread to get heavy traffic, but if there is a small community of musicians and artists in the UPN horde, I wanna give 'em a place that's all their own.
tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 04:24 AM   #2
Chalis
Activating Rampage

(Look at my sig)

"Meteor Jam!"

Chalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 02:16 PM   #3
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

I don't really make much music anymore since I'm focused on my Sound Design, but here's my soundcloud.

Also I made a song for a distribution assignment for University. Free download or pay what you want, check it out: Outsidr - Trials

Any aspiring producers looking for production tips, I'll help as much as I can.
Old 01-29-2016, 05:27 PM   #4
Apollo77
Done With Your Shit

Send a message via Skype™ to Apollo77
Hello.
It's me.
I was wondering if ya'll wanted to listen to my shit.

Yeah I make a little EDM in my free time, which right now isn't much but once I'm done with the whole college process I'm gonna try and really get working on it. Trying to write some more traditional stuff as well (as piano is my pain instrument and I'd love to have some original songs I can just play whenever someone asks) but dear God do I suck at lyrics.
Apollo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:27 PM   #5
deoxys
Fog Badge

Hipster somewhat unknown garbage?

Please do your ears a favor and listen GUNSHIP. They are a synthwave/electro band. They are basically a modern 80s band mixed with some modern aspects, and they sound incredible. I just discovered them about two weeks ago and haven't been able to stop listening. The fact that their video for Tech Noir only has like 60,000 views is fucking criminal.

Here's a good place to start:

Gunship - Tech Noir

Gunship - Tech Noir (Carpenter Brut Remix)

Gunship - The Mountain

God THEY'RE SO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD............
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 02:39 AM   #6
tau
Cascade Badge

Welp, sorry for being late to reply, long day at work. Living the chef life ain't easy. Anyway:

VVV Thoughts VVV

Spoiler: show
Midgeorge- 'Trials' is legitimately pretty dope. Especially dig the drum track, has that Amen break kinda flow to it. Pretty damn chill, for how up tempo it is.

Apollo77- 'Cough Drops' is wicked, man. I... kinda almost wanna ask if I can use it as a backing track for some band jam shit <.<

Kelntin- Was gonna comment on 'Anthem', then I listened to 'Workspace'. Daaaaamn son. The main riff coupled with the heavier bass hits puts me in mind of old school Castlevania, which I mean in a very very positive way.

Machamp-X- I really honestly wish I had a grasp on audio layering and electronic composition that could flow like that. Well fucking done, mayn.

Also, holy shit Gunship. Thank you, thank you, deoxys. It's like Kavinsky and Ratatat had a child.

I love it. I love you guys.

I need to get recording, so badly. My acoustic is on loan to my band's (The Dead Rabbits, we don't have anything released yet, it formed like... this month? Late last month?) bassist, and my electric amps are just kind of stacked in the garage at the moment. We have a few songs outlined and really rough demos, but no lyrics yet, because fuck is it hard to write lyrics. I'd post some I have rough-drafting, but the embarrassment factor is high.

Last edited by tau; 01-30-2016 at 02:45 AM.
Old 01-30-2016, 07:07 AM   #7
Chalis
Activating Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tau View Post
VVV Thoughts VVV

Midgeorge- 'Trials' is legitimately pretty dope. Especially dig the drum track, has that Amen break kinda flow to it. Pretty damn chill, for how up tempo it is.

Apollo77- 'Cough Drops' is wicked, man. I... kinda almost wanna ask if I can use it as a backing track for some band jam shit <.<

Kelntin- Was gonna comment on 'Anthem', then I listened to 'Workspace'. Daaaaamn son. The main riff coupled with the heavier bass hits puts me in mind of old school Castlevania, which I mean in a very very positive way.

Machamp-X- I really honestly wish I had a grasp on audio layering and electronic composition that could flow like that. Well fucking done, mayn.
Heh, thanks! Been making electronic music for just over a year now.

"Meteor Jam!"

Chalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 11:59 AM   #8
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
only has like 60,000 views is fucking criminal.
I mean, 60,000 is a fantastic achievement for a band(?) with only 3600 followers. Not sure if they have much publicity elsewhere but thats a grand achievement. The most I've managed on SC is 5000 so 60,000 is really something.

Anyway, I wanna know what you guys think of this kind of stuff: Akkord - Typeface

I have huge respect for this producer for sheer quality and creativity on all of his work. The big problem with dark bassline music is that it mostly sounds all the same, but this guy(s?) knows how to make his music interesting and different every time. The illusion he creates in this song is particularly impressive, whilst still keeping my neck swinging.

Also bias because I love the monochrome/digital kind of art scene and his music is perfect for his image. What do you guys think?

Other Akkord works:
Akkord - Continuum
Akkord - Megalith
Akkord - Navigate
Akkord - hex_ad
Old 01-31-2016, 10:28 PM   #9
Apollo77
Done With Your Shit

Send a message via Skype™ to Apollo77
Quote:
VVV Thoughts VVV

Thanks, that means a lot! You're welcome to use it if you want to; I'd love to see what you do with it.

Really digging Gunship, deo, it's got just the right amount of retro vibe to it.

Listened to some of Akkord as well; this guy really knows how to do rhythm. Can't say it's my thing, though, I just like to feel a stronger melody.
Apollo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 12:40 PM   #10
tau
Cascade Badge

So my Fender amp is out of commission and I'm 'working' out of a Roland Cube which is more adorable than useful.

I tried recording a thing, but trying to get a decent tone had me fiddling with dials for like, six minutes, then the sound got blown out.

So I did a second take, dialed back the master volume and eased up a bit on gain, and hey hey, you couldn't hear shit half the time. What you could hear sounded really muddy and just... gah. It doesn't have any control for mids, so you're either really crunchy and loud or super soft and clean.

I am a musician who can't music in my own thread about music, I am the worst person.

To make up for that failure, have this: "My Favorite Mutiny" - The Coup. I don't know if any of you are into hiphop at all, but the beat and backing vocals in this track are fucking gorgeous. (That, and I'll listen to anything with Talib or Mos Def in it.)

EDIT: Dug around for old recordings, found two short acoustic bits I was planning on working with then just... forgot about, I guess. Content!

Thing One (I had been listening to a lot of Sun Kil Moon)

Thing Two (No comment)

Last edited by tau; 02-01-2016 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:49 PM   #11
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo77 View Post
Listened to some of Akkord as well; this guy really knows how to do rhythm. Can't say it's my thing, though, I just like to feel a stronger melody.
Yep, didn't expect it to be many peoples 'thing' but at least you can appreciate the craft. :p
Old 02-02-2016, 12:37 AM   #12
Charminions
Your reality is mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
Hipster somewhat unknown garbage?

Please do your ears a favor and listen GUNSHIP. They are a synthwave/electro band. They are basically a modern 80s band mixed with some modern aspects, and they sound incredible. I just discovered them about two weeks ago and haven't been able to stop listening. The fact that their video for Tech Noir only has like 60,000 views is fucking criminal.

Here's a good place to start:

Gunship - Tech Noir

Gunship - Tech Noir (Carpenter Brut Remix)

Gunship - The Mountain

God THEY'RE SO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD............
Been getting really into The 1975 lately and their 80's music vibe (although more pop than any other genre) has been rubbing off on me. Gunship is a fantastic find to satiate this, thank you.
Old 02-02-2016, 05:21 AM   #13
Kelntin
Cascade Badge

Quote:
EDIT: Dug around for old recordings, found two short acoustic bits I was planning on working with then just... forgot about, I guess. Content!

Thing One (I had been listening to a lot of Sun Kil Moon)

Thing Two (No comment)
Still sounds better than me trying to play the acoustic guitar lol

*claps for tau*
Kelntin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:37 PM   #14
tau
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelntin View Post
Still sounds better than me trying to play the acoustic guitar lol

*claps for tau*
Bah Thank you. I'm a recent convert to guitar, honestly; I started on violin and bass.

Video evidence of why I'm not uploading clean electric stuff. That bleed through is killing me, I swear I'm not as awful as this makes me sound, lol.
Old 02-20-2016, 02:38 PM   #15
tau
Cascade Badge

Double Post for Reasons

Just not good ones. Working on a new riff with my still crap recording setup (the acoustics in my room are even worse than my garage!) but that should be fixed in the near future, I have a new amp, but it's at the place I'm moving to and not the place I'm currently living.

Regardless, here's the thing: Hangover Riff

Named because I failed to properly hydrate last night. The shitty playing is all on me, but the core of the progression itself is there. I just need to clean it up, and, you know, play sober. Also with a less muddy amp, lol.

I know it's not great, but hey, full disclosure means sharing the crap alongside the cream.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:03 PM   #16
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

My Friends Tune, who I've worked with before and I really respect him as an artist. Check him out, he deserves more recognition.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:48 AM   #17
tau
Cascade Badge

So I improved a song on the spot doing an acoustic-thing outside cafe coffee shop thing, and I wrote it down after the fact and forgot about it. This is a combination of the two whole verses, the chorus was something about being sober for 48 hours and how much that sucks.

Incidentally, I suck at both A) Improv, and B) Music.

Keeping the high end palm-muted for most of it, 1-2 1-2 strum pattern, down tempo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoustic Live Performance Improv Song
G (E: 3-2-0)
Well if life is just pain, and love is a drug,
Em (A: 2-3-0)
I'm railing pills and cutting lines, tonight
B5 (D: 3-E: 2-0)
I'm sick of sobriety, and all the shit they said to me,
Em
So I guess they won, they were right;
C
I'm a loser, a junkie, and I'm having fun
G
Killing my brain and drowning in rum
Em
'cause quittings for cowards, and rehabs for quitters
B5
And I smoked my last cigarette, but I swear I'm not bitter
Em
I'll just get more, on my way downtown to 6th street,
C
To trade all my rent for some H and amphetamines
G
'cause I ate my last Valium three days ago,
C
And the shake in my hands is starting to show
Judge my shitty writing as harshly as it deserves lol
Old 03-07-2016, 07:16 AM   #18
Kelntin
Cascade Badge

Pics/videos or it didn't happen lol

Mmm, B5. I don't see that often, and I think that it is good that you find a way to sneak in that B5 into your song.
Kelntin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:58 AM   #19
tau
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelntin View Post
Pics/videos or it didn't happen lol

Mmm, B5. I don't see that often, and I think that it is good that you find a way to sneak in that B5 into your song.
well it's an easy transition from Em, you just drop your third finger down a step for the power chord.
Old 03-31-2016, 08:04 PM   #20
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

Probably one of the last tracks I'm gonna be sharing with the world. Have a listen if you feel like it.

hello again
Old 04-04-2016, 02:46 PM   #21
tau
Cascade Badge

https://youtu.be/8HuoLKPNGr4

this will probably be my last upload in this thread, and the last thing I was half-assed writing. it wont ever be finished, but... idk. there it is i guess.

Good luck with your music, everyone. The world needs artists.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:34 AM   #22
Beautiful Savage
Oh, hello

Good luck with your own stuff as well, tau.

One time, a band I was in a horn section for did this awesome mash-up of The Ocean by Led Zepplin and Cissy Strut by The Meters. I could dig up the Youtube video if anyone's interested.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:52 PM   #23
tau
Cascade Badge

electronic music is fine. good, in fact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74zQ-9OuH7g <-- THIS is not fine. dont do this.

i paid money to be there.

i hate myself and the guy responsible for this.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:42 PM   #25
Midgeorge
Marsh Badge

Been trying to come up with a percussive guitar composition of Woodkid - Iron. I'm quite new to percussive guitar so I'm struggling in parts but I've come up with the drum parts for the song. Now I just need to refine the chords and, if I have the skill, play the melody part at the same time.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment