UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Debate

Old 02-08-2015, 07:16 PM   #1
Mercutio
Banned

Furret UPN Rules the World! How Politically Active Are You?

How politically active/interested are you as a person?

We have a thread for American Politics. We have a thread for British politics. We sometimes debate political issues like spending on health services or the law on drugs, but I wonder how political we really are.

Ballpark answers, a couple of vague questions to get the ball rolling:
  • Do you vote in your country's/area's elections, or would you if you were eligible to?
  • Do you discuss political issues of any time with your friends or family once a month or more?
  • Do you share political articles, posts etc. on social media or otherwise on the internet once a month or more?
  • Do you actively campaign on an issue or for a political party/candidate, or do you donate or otherwise passively support them?
  • Do you feel like you are able to express an opinion on political issues generally, even if it's just as simple as "I don't really liek that candidate" or "I wish the government spent more on X"?

Answer in short answers, long posts, or just talk about political interest and ignore the questions altogether, whatever you like
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:26 PM   #2
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I vote in my local town's elections. I haven't voted nationally since high school, though. Politics was something that people looked at in high school because it felt like a "mature" subject, but I had a bit more involvement by making friends with a lot of small-time aides to local politicians and I can't say I'm optimistic anymore. It's fundamentally a money-making enterprise and heavily rooted in marketing, because effectively people are trying to sell a product: a candidate.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:30 PM   #3
Mercutio
Banned

Speaking as an aide to various national/local politicians, please tell me how people make money out of it!
Old 02-08-2015, 07:35 PM   #4
Toyo
hail

I would vote if I could but alas, youngness. Again, I would talk about political stuff with other people but I live in a super right-wing area which I am not, plus the whole "You're too young to talk about politics!"

Yay, youth.
Toyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 07:40 PM   #5
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
Speaking as an aide to various national/local politicians, please tell me how people make money out of it!
Maybe it's different in the states. But you get someone elected, and the newly minted politician employs the aide within his/her government office afterward. I don't know the specifics but it bypasses normal restrictions around spoils and patronage, with the downside being that individuals employed by the congressman can't move laterally into another office once their benefactor is ousted from power...which inevitably happens due to term limits.

So, a lot of the people I knew who had cushy jobs for about 8 years don't have those jobs anymore, and so constantly return to the campaign front afterward. I'm not a fan of that, but while they're employed they make competitive salaries with good benefits and lots of free time.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 09:08 PM   #6
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

I absolutely despair of politics in the US, where thanks to the Republican push for redistricting and the Electoral college my vote has absolutely no value, but I am quite interested in Australian politics- where things are currently getting very interesting.

I can't vote down here, but would like to, and discuss politics quite frequently, but I don't make donations to any candidate.
Old 02-08-2015, 09:18 PM   #7
Heather
Naga's Voice

I can't vote yet, but if I could I would. Except since both Republicans and Democrats are a bunch of corrupt loonies, I would vote third party since my vote will be wasted just as much as if I voted the less idiotic Republicans here in democratic Maryland. Honestly, if you want proof that actual liberals aren't competent like Liberal Crime Squad would have you think, I'll direct you to Martin O' Malley's repeated tax hikes despite promises no tax increases would occur. Specifically, his ultimate stupidity, the RAIN TAX. Yeah, he wanted to impose some tax based on how much runoff your property generated or some crap like that. Let's just hope Hogan isn't as much of a damn imbecile. And this was on the state level, they get more incompetent on the federal level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 10:28 PM   #8
uhhhhh
Beloved Mascot

Send a message via Skype™ to uhhhhh
I vote, and I kinda have to since I guess you could say that I'm in a political family since my dad's heavily involved in politics (albeit on a minor scale). I generally stay out of it though.
uhhhhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:03 AM   #9
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Come now, Kush, if you're going to make an impromptu Internet focus group, at least buy us some pizzas.

I vote regularly. I registered to vote for the local and state stuff, though, since most federal stuff is pretty meaningless outside of the occasional House race. I discuss politics with my parents but I generally avoid discussing it elsewhere and avoid it entirely with my friends as a rule.

I'm pretty effectively a moderate in most areas, though I do tend to lean liberal/Democrat on pretty much every issue, with some essential caveats. So in that sense I generally don't support or actively campaign for any candidates.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:16 AM   #10
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
I'm not hugely politically active. I voted in the 2010 general election and again in last years European and local council elections (the latter only because they were on the same day). I voted for different parties in the general and European. The local council I didn't give two figs about the party - my local council incumbents do a very good job of local council things so I looked up who they were and voted them back in. Don't tend to debate it irl, certainly don't post stuff on social networking. Political debates tend to just go nowhere and make people angry (maybe this is just political debates that involve me).

I try to keep up to date with happenings though so that I can have an informed opinion (nothing pisses me off more than people complaining about things that thirty seconds of research would tell them is just outright not true). By and large my personal opinions lie slightly left of the British centre but alongside the Independent and BBC News (both respectable and somewhat left leaning news sources) I also get political news from the Times (respectable and somewhat right leaning) for a bit of balance.

I'll vote in this years general election because I think it's important to vote, but I'm not yet sure who for. It'll likely be just whichever local MP candidate strikes me as best rather than being about the party - I don't particularly like the idea of any of the available parties forming part of the next government, but someone's gonna have to. Might mean I end up voting independent as my area has had a decent independent candidate stand at the last few elections.

Last edited by Concept; 02-09-2015 at 08:27 AM.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:41 PM   #11
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
I'm 26 and didn't vote until the local/European elections last year (or the year before? can't remember). I'm not keen on politics really, I've just never been that interested outside of laughing at Have I Got News For You.

I do plan to vote in the general, but haven't made up my mind. My constituency has been Labour since forever and things run relatively well but the idea of Milliband as PM fills me with abject horror and dread.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:12 PM   #12
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

1. I vote, but mainstream politics in NI is objectively awful and nothing changes.
2. Yes, I do. Most of my RL friends are exceptionally awesome and clever, and with crime as an inherently political issue thanks to Margaret Thatcher, and my interest in state and corporate crime, my career field kind of necessitates political knowledge and debate.
3. Yes.
4. I campaign for rights at home in a few ways - reproductive rights and marriage equality in particular. I've been to a few rallies, actively campaign against the current "conscience clause" and am currently debating collaborating with a friend to import abortion pills in order to distribute them to women in need, since the situation across all of Ireland is so deplorable.
5. What do you think ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
SoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:17 PM   #13
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Do you vote in your country's/area's elections, or would you if you were eligible to?
I have voted but not on every eligible occasion.

Quote:
Do you discuss political issues of any time with your friends or family once a month or more?
Yes.

Quote:
Do you share political articles, posts etc. on social media or otherwise on the internet once a month or more?
No.

Quote:
Do you actively campaign on an issue or for a political party/candidate, or do you donate or otherwise passively support them?
No; and no.

Quote:
Do you feel like you are able to express an opinion on political issues generally, even if it's just as simple as "I don't really liek that candidate" or "I wish the government spent more on X"?
Yes.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 05:21 PM   #14
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Quote:
[*]Do you vote in your country's/area's elections, or would you if you were eligible to?
I have not voted and I'm not sure I really want too. Politics is a big mess that I feel is hard to get into and digest, and I'm never truly happy with elections because it always seems that neither candidate can say "Look, here is what I offer and here is why you should vote for me" but rather they proceed to beat on the other. Which is American politics as usual.

Quote:
[*]Do you discuss political issues of any time with your friends or family once a month or more?
I don't share political issues with my family because they either A) don't care or B) are very conservative

Quote:
[*]Do you share political articles, posts etc. on social media or otherwise on the internet once a month or more?
On occasion, but not often.

Quote:
[*]Do you actively campaign on an issue or for a political party/candidate, or do you donate or otherwise passively support them?
Nope.

Quote:
[*]Do you feel like you are able to express an opinion on political issues generally, even if it's just as simple as "I don't really liek that candidate" or "I wish the government spent more on X"?
I feel I can but I don't think my opinion has much worth.
Old 02-09-2015, 06:05 PM   #15
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

• I'd probably vote if I were able to
  • Some of my friends have a somewhat decent understanding of current politics, so sometimes we talk debate current issues, usually ones that relate to education
  • Usually only if its something funny (ex. Wind is a finite resource)
  • I'm fairly limited in such opportunities, and don't participate in them
  • Yes
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

rotomotorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 03:12 PM   #16
Mercutio
Banned

Tres interessant.

Do people who feel politics is a big mess or who choose only to vote at certain times or for certain tiers of government feel like thee's a reason they vote sometimes and sometimes not? Or is it a spur of the moment choice?
Old 02-10-2015, 04:39 PM   #17
Sneaze
Mrow?

I just don't vote because, as Muyo pointed out, voting in the US means basically nothing. As such I haven't registered because frankly why would I bother doing so when my vote means nothing and I could get pulled in for jury duty as a result of registering?

Daisy wins at life for making this Battle Cut
Sneaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:50 PM   #18
Snorby
Snackin'

I won't be able to vote until late 2018, but I would if I could and plan to once I can, even if it doesn't matter much.

I discuss politics with my mother at least weekly and my friends at least monthly. The ones that give a shit about politics, at least. I also make some of them watch Last Week Tonight with me when it's on when they're in my house.

I link friends to political stuff on Skype fairly often.

Not usually.

I am very loud about my opinions when it comes to politics.

Click on Fawful for my ASB squad summary. Other links coming soon.
Snorby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:10 PM   #19
Stealthy
A New and Original Person

Generally speaking I'm more politically observant than I am active or opinionated. I have pretty definitive opinions on a few issues. For the most part I just want things to work and the problem fixed. I play devil's advocate a fair bit, and I understand the complexities and kinda get unenthused by candidates sometimes and I think politics (or at least American politics) can be quite discouraging, though I imagine there are sweet spots on the political spectrum that we serve well enough.

That said, in 2012 I was kindof an election junkie. Got every state right but Florida and Colorado. I forget how well I did in the primaries. I mean, I correctly guessed it'd go to Romney but that was hardly a difficult guess to make.

Generally though I do find certain things lacking. The two party system makes us especially confrontational, and on a fair few debates I look at both sides claims and just say "why not both?" and I dislike how unwilling to compromise we've become. Perhaps its the recent "energize your base" craze as a new electoral strategy. Curse of being a moderate I suppose.
Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:06 PM   #20
Kuvario
Mysterious Knight

Quote:
Do you vote in your country's/area's elections, or would you if you were eligible to?
Not old enough to vote, but even I could, I wouldn't. I don't believe any of the politicians are any good and I feel like they throw around promises and never do anything about them. And it wouldn't do much, as Sneezey and Muyo said.

Quote:
Do you discuss political issues of any time with your friends or family once a month or more?
I sometimes discuss politics with my father...although not often and it's mostly to poke fun at politicians.

Quote:
Do you share political articles, posts etc. on social media or otherwise on the internet once a month or more?
Nope.

Quote:
Do you actively campaign on an issue or for a political party/candidate, or do you donate or otherwise passively support them?
I guess I do support some views on certain issues but not to the point where I'd consider voting or actively supporting.

Quote:
Do you feel like you are able to express an opinion on political issues generally, even if it's just as simple as "I don't really liek that candidate" or "I wish the government spent more on X"?
Absolutely, I wouldn't be posting here if I couldn't.
Kuvario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 04:03 PM   #21
deh74
Noted homosexual

• Do you vote in your country's/area's elections, or would you if you were eligible to?
  • Do you discuss political issues of any time with your friends or family once a month or more?
  • Do you share political articles, posts etc. on social media or otherwise on the internet once a month or more?
  • Do you actively campaign on an issue or for a political party/candidate, or do you donate or otherwise passively support them?
  • Do you feel like you are able to express an opinion on political issues generally, even if it's just as simple as "I don't really liek that candidate" or "I wish the government spent more on X"?

1. I would vote if I could and fully intend too once I reach the proper age.

2. I discuss these issues multiple times an hour.

3. Oh yes.

4. I have campaigned for Don Berwick for MA Governor, for the repeal of Citizens United, and am a regular donor to the Democratic Party.

5. Very much so.

PASBL
The Whistling Sound of Impending Doom.

deh74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Debate