UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 06-29-2007, 10:12 AM   #1
Talon87
時の彼方へ

My XBox just died ;-;

After five-and-a-half years of service (December 2001 - June 2007), my XBox finally kicked the bucket and died. It had been coming for some time -- the DVD drive was going out, being less and less able to read sectors on the outer-most edges of optical discs, meaning (for example) that if I had 24 episodes of a show on a DVD, my XBox could only play episodes 1-21 without crashing. But right now, three-fourths of the way through episode 2 of the J-drama Nodame Cantabire, my XBox froze. Having done this before, I just turned it off and turned it back on. Usually fixes the problem. Only this time, it didn't fix the problem. And instead, I was greeted by a cold death sentence of advice:

"Your XBox requires service. Please call XBox Customer Support."
Microsoft's official page on the error

Normally, I'd just send the XBox in to be repaired at a discount charge. Unfortunately, that isn't an option for me. My Xbox was soft-modded, and if they found that out, I'd be in big trouble. Furthermore, I have some hentai on the hard drive, so there's no way I'd send that in to Microsoft without being able to get to it first (so I could delete it!). So basically ... I have a broken XBox on my hands and no way to fix it. R.I.P., my Xbox. R.I.P.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 10:28 AM   #2
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Re: My XBox just died ;-;

I found this amusing at first, but now I'm a little more annoyed by it than anything else. -_-;

(a screencap of Microsoft's Limited Warranty policy for the XBox 360, explaining what constitutes a breach of the contract and thus allows Microsoft to reject customer requests for an XBox 360 repair)

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/5355/actsofgodhq3.png

Edit @ 12noon EST: I just found out that the error for my Xbox is "Type 09", and according to a webpage which specializes in modding Xboxes, that usually means one of two things:
1 - if you think your XBox should be working, it means that the IDE connector between the HDD and the motherboard is probably loose
2 - if you think your XBox is on its last legs, it probably means that the HDD died

I'mma guessin' Number 2.
Old 06-29-2007, 03:42 PM   #3
Sylar
Cascade Badge

Send a message via AIM to Sylar Send a message via MSN to Sylar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87
I found this amusing at first, but now I'm a little more annoyed by it than anything else. -_-;

(a screencap of Microsoft's Limited Warranty policy for the XBox 360, explaining what constitutes a breach of the contract and thus allows Microsoft to reject customer requests for an XBox 360 repair)

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/5355/actsofgodhq3.png
Maybe it means that Microsoft are satanic and God is out to smite all of their consoles? ;P
Old 06-30-2007, 12:12 AM   #4
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87
three-fourths of the way through episode 2 of the J-drama Nodame Cantabire, my XBox froze.
Serves you right for watching J-Drama. You fragged the quality control sensors of your Xbox.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:19 AM   #5
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

All warranties include the 'Acts of God' rule. It includes stuff like floods, fires, and earthquakes or more biblical stuff like plagues of insects, slaying of first series models, or getting struck by lightning.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 10:57 PM   #6
deoxys
Fog Badge

get a three six zero, then you can have sexy time with your hentai all over the place. plus they have this new thing goin on where you can download anime episodes to the hard drive like akira, basilisk, trinity blood and others...er see them here http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/marketpl ... /anime.htm

anyhows, I upgraded to a 360 and I love it ^_^

But if you don't have the money then thats a different story I suppose heh

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 11:00 PM   #7
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Never minding money, I actually vowed never to mod a system again for the purpose of using it as a computer. Reason being, one can get a computer and avoid the misery of, "My Xbox no longer plays my favorite game, DOA:Ultimate, unless I put the disc into the drive bay and shut down and then turn it back on. And even then, every single time, I have to sit through the One-Time-Only security message that scrolls at 1mph for what feels like 5 minutes." If it happened to DOA:U on the Xbox, it could happen to Shenmue III, Xenosaga, or any number of titles on the 360/PS3/Wii. So no thanks. I'll mod only if I have to to play games, e.g. importing a game from Japan to my region-locked XBox 360.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:09 PM   #8
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

My condolences. My PS2 from mid-2001 kicked the bucket back in january so I get how ya feel. ;_;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuande
My XBox just died ;-;
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGM Hiero
get a three six zero
Xuande's first MS system just broke and now ya turn around and reccomend one that'll last a few months at best? o.O
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 07:35 PM   #9
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindz
My condolences. My PS2 from mid-2001 kicked the bucket back in january so I get how ya feel. ;_;
No way. My condolences to you, too! How's your XBox holding up? In fact, ... are you involved in the "next generation," or are you in the same boat as me and millions of other gamer-hopefuls who are still hesitating to purchase any of the new machines?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindz
Xuande's first MS system just broke and now ya turn around and reccomend one that'll last a few months at best? o.O
Yeah, I'm a little leery of that myself. I hear that the odds of a 360 dying within the first few months of ownership are 1-in-3. Maybe my source is wrong, but even the rumor mill surrounding the PS2 and XBox never reported figures quite that bad.
Old 07-04-2007, 07:59 PM   #10
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

It is a rumor. I know like a dozen guys with 360s and none of them had problem. And one was bought one off the back off a U-Haul truck for $150. But the only one that was first generation was the one bought off the U-Haul, everyone else bought it like 6 months after the release. So maybe the first wave of 360s had the 1/3 problem, but none of the newer ones have any problems TMK.

I want a 360....
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 03:59 PM   #11
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuande
No way. My condolences to you, too! How's your XBox holding up? In fact, ... are you involved in the "next generation," or are you in the same boat as me and millions of other gamer-hopefuls who are still hesitating to purchase any of the new machines?
Hmm my Xbox from mid-2002 was working just fine last I used it (a few months ago). Currently its been boxed up in the closet ever since I moved due to lack of space and.. usage really. I'm still happily in the last generation though a few weeks back I did get my first PS3 game on the cheap. So I'm ready to jump when the time is right.

On the "bright" side for all 360 owners new and old~

Quote:
Peter Moore:
You’ve spoken, and we’ve heard you. Good service and a good customer experience are areas of the business that we care deeply about. And frankly, we’ve not been doing a good enough job.

As of today, all Xbox 360 consoles are covered by an enhanced warranty program to address specifically the general hardware failures indicated by the three flashing red lights on the console. This applies to new and previously-sold consoles. While we will still have a general one year console warranty (two years in some countries), we are announcing today a three-year warranty that covers any console that displays a three flashing red lights error message. If a customer has an issue indicated by the three flashing red lights, Microsoft will repair the console free of charge -- including shipping -- for three years from the console’s purchase date.
Well they can't admit a design fault or lawsuits galore will follow so I suppose this was the next best thing? If I were interested in one I wouldn't feel any safer that my system wouldn't die but at least now it wouldn't cost me anything to get it fixed (other then time?).
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 05:34 PM   #12
Talon87
時の彼方へ

From what I understand, there are 3 to 4 different red LEDs in the XBox 360's light ring. Three of them (North, West, and South) being illuminated is the most common "red circle of death" people report, but it's also possible to have just one LED, just two, or (if I'm right that there's four) all four. So ... while this warranty is great for people who get hit by "the hardware failure which results in 3 lights shining," it's useless for people who encounter other hardware failures. I could be wrong about that, but ...
Old 07-10-2007, 12:01 AM   #13
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaDevourer
It is a rumor. I know like a dozen guys with 360s and none of them had problem. And one was bought one off the back off a U-Haul truck for $150. But the only one that was first generation was the one bought off the U-Haul, everyone else bought it like 6 months after the release. So maybe the first wave of 360s had the 1/3 problem, but none of the newer ones have any problems TMK.

I want a 360....
Have you read the news? Microsoft announced it'll be spending $1 billion just on repairing 360's.
Old 08-03-2007, 06:36 PM   #14
Talon87
時の彼方へ

........... yes, that's all well and good, but please don't tell me you're insinuating that you look down on us for purchasing Nintendo DS Lites or other video game consoles. There are only two options, and each comes with its own price ...

Option 1 - purchase the proprietary hardware and run the risk of losing what you paid for when one component dies
Option 2 - emulate the proprietary hardware on a superior machine (e.g. PC) and break the law plus screw the writers and programmers out of the monies they have earned, rightly so, for their hard work on the game

It's not like Option 2 is significantly better than Option 1; what you gain in independence from Microsoft, you lose in generosity to your fellow man.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games