Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Life sucks.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:14 PM   #53
takkupanda
Charismagnetism

Send a message via Skype™ to takkupanda
The What if series on xkcd: http://what-if.xkcd.com/1/ It's Awesome!

Fizzy Bubbles

Cable Club Trading List
takkupanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:42 PM   #54
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Ahahahahahahhaaha
Old 09-14-2012, 05:31 PM   #55
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

I might be slightly biased when it comes to little kids and video games.

But Gabe and his son pull these moments off in a way that makes me pass out from overload of cute and adorable.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:59 AM   #56
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisap112 View Post
I might be slightly biased when it comes to little kids and video games.

But Gabe and his son pull these moments off in a way that makes me pass out from overload of cute and adorable.
Like a lot of people, I enjoyed the comic. However, I think younger fans of Penny-Arcade will enjoy it a lot more than older fans for this one important reason: it's an inferior rehash of a classic comic of theirs. The original comic proved so popular that who was to be a one-shot character soon became the most popular side character in the entire franchise, eclipsing some of the creators' personal favorites like Twisp and Catsby, DivX, or the Fruit Fucker. Annarchy became so in demand that six months later she returned in a five-part comic, one of the first of its kind on Penny-Arcade. (This was years before they did their Lookouts and Automata experiments.) And, of course, she's a personal favorite. I was one of those fans who so, so enjoyed the original strip so, so much that I wanted to see more of that character. So while I can positively appreciate The Torch for what it is, I can also negatively appreciate it for what it is: auto-derivative and inferior to the original. ^_^; It was still a good comic though.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 02:37 PM   #57
Kori Gotcha
Boulder Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Like a lot of people, I enjoyed the comic. However, I think younger fans of Penny-Arcade will enjoy it a lot more than older fans for this one important reason: it's an inferior rehash of a classic comic of theirs. The original comic proved so popular that who was to be a one-shot character soon became the most popular side character in the entire franchise, eclipsing some of the creators' personal favorites like Twisp and Catsby, DivX, or the Fruit Fucker. Annarchy became so in demand that six months later she returned in a five-part comic, one of the first of its kind on Penny-Arcade. (This was years before they did their Lookouts and Automata experiments.) And, of course, she's a personal favorite. I was one of those fans who so, so enjoyed the original strip so, so much that I wanted to see more of that character. So while I can positively appreciate The Torch for what it is, I can also negatively appreciate it for what it is: auto-derivative and inferior to the original. ^_^; It was still a good comic though.
Jesus christ man. This is not a copy of the Annarchy comic in the slightest. The kid wants a game system and wants to go to the midnight release, Gabe explains that he can't because he won't be able to stay up to midnight, boy wants to prove that he has big boy pants on, Gabe challenges, boy fails.

Tycho was talking down to Ann as a child who couldn't possibly appreciate games because she wasn't as old as he was and thus couldn't experience as much as he has, yet she proves to him that regardless of age, she is up to the task of being called a hardcore gamer and should be allowed to E3.

One comic was a question of age and ability, the other was of a pedantic adult getting schooled. It's cool that you like Ann, but this was not a derivative of anything. Just enjoy the comic man, it's Penny Arcade, not The Republic.

Last edited by Kori Gotcha; 09-15-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Kori Gotcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 03:47 PM   #58
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kori Gotcha View Post
Jesus christ man. This is not a copy of the Annarchy comic in the slightest. The kid wants a game system and wants to go to the midnight release, Gabe explains that he can't because he won't be able to stay up to midnight, boy wants to prove that he has big boy pants on, Gabe challenges, boy fails.

Tycho was talking down to Ann as a child who couldn't possibly appreciate games because she wasn't as old as he was and thus couldn't experience as much as he has, yet she proves to him that regardless of age, she is up to the task of being called a hardcore gamer and should be allowed to E3.

One comic was a question of age and ability, the other was of a pedantic adult getting schooled. It's cool that you like Ann, but this was not a derivative of anything. Just enjoy the comic man, it's Penny Arcade, not The Republic.
I think you're the one who needs to calm down. Your reply is inappropriately tense and accusative. I was just expressing the personal opinion that while I enjoyed yesterday's comic I felt it was a rehash of the same concept they explored five years ago. Next time when you disagree with someone's interpretation of an art piece, perhaps you can be a bit more calm and measured in your response? You accuse me of caring too much but clearly it's you who has frighteningly gone over the top in his emotional response to someone else's thoughts on an Internet comic.

Given how rude you were, I shouldn't even bother explaining myself to you. But since others may feel the same way as you, I might as well explain why I said what I said in a way you might be able to if not accept then at least understand. The reason the two comics are similar is because they both follow the exact same following format:
  • adult boasts of going to big unveiling (in the one case a retail unveiling, in the other a media unveiling)
  • child wants to go too
  • adult is like "lol, sorry kid, you're still too young"
  • child is like "nuh uh! "
  • adult suggests the child prove it
In the Annarchy case, Ann proves to Tycho she is every bit the gamer that he is -- in some ways more so -- at every step of the way. The end result is that he resolves to get her into E3 one way or another. In the Little Gabe case, Little Gabe fails to prove to his father he has what it takes to handle a midnight launch but that's got its own "d'awww, kids " charm to it. Their endings are different but they otherwise follow a similar formula.

In my opinion, the Annarchy comic is better executed, is funnier, and since it came first it kinda begs the question of this revisit of such a similar topic. Revisits are usually done when (a) you haven't said all that needs to be said or (b) you're going to say what's been said before but say it even better. As good as the Little Gabe comic was, I didn't feel it fulfilled either of these two criteria.

If pointing this out to you constitutes taking things so srsly you flip your wig, I suggest you either med up or else sit the Internet out.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:06 PM   #59
Kori Gotcha
Boulder Badge

Maybe I was accusatory but I wasn't insulting as you chose to be. This is the way I talk to people when I don't agree with what they are saying and find that they are over blowing a simple situation. For you to reach so low as to say that I need to be medicated, I must've hit a nerve in which I will say, mission accomplished.

Given how rude you were, I feel like I shouldn't have to explain to you why your dissection was unneeded or how you've mistaken revisits for rehashes and how if this comic is a revist of the Annarchy comic, then Barney the Purple Dinosaur has to be a revist to Jurassic Park, so I won't.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:14 PM   #60
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

You two are birds of a feather. Both comics are suitably amusing.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:16 PM   #61
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kori Gotcha View Post
or how you've mistaken revisits for rehashes
The terms are synonymous. If you want to be so pedantic as to insist that they are not ...

Spoiler: show
... then I shall oblige your pedantry with a trip to the dictionary.

rehash:
1 : to talk over or discuss again
2 : to present or use again in another form without substantial change or improvement

revisit:
1. to visit again
2. to re-examine (a topic or theme) after an interval, with a view to making a fresh appraisal

I used precisely the correct word (rehash) to express what I was trying to convey. That you're insisting I meant to use the word revisit when it is at best to your pedantry synonymous with "rehash" and is at worst to your pedantry an inferior word choice is ... well, quite frankly it's ridiculous. And if you're insisting that the one time I used the word "revisit" I should instead have used "rehash," well, then you're denying me the chance to be forgiving to PA. If you want to be pedantic, then please at least have a better command over the language. I didn't want to be pedantic in the first place but since you're bringing the fight to my yard, well, here you go. Hope I didn't blacken your eye too badly.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:17 PM   #62
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #63
Kori Gotcha
Boulder Badge

Old 09-16-2012, 12:17 PM   #64
Char
Banned

This is the webcomics thread. Is rather not read debate forum type stuff here please :'(
Char is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:24 AM   #65
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Todays xkcd is epic. In a Talon approved sense of the word.

Last edited by Concept; 09-19-2012 at 04:47 AM.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:01 AM   #66
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Holy shit it's huuuuuuge. Been dragging for a good 5 minutes, no end in sight.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:16 PM   #67
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Dragged downwards for like 10 minutes. The only thing I ever saw was what looked like oil chambers (maybe) after about 1-2 minutes of downward dragging. I was hoping to come out on the other side of the world but whether I ever would've or not I dunno: got bored, Googled for image, saw that most people were exploring laterally rather than vertically, gave up.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:35 PM   #68
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

I saw a huge system of tunnels and stuff, and this huge mountain thing, and the ocean, and some forests, etc. I was tempted to drag up, but instead went for directions I knew would have something.
Old 09-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #69
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
There are some Mario tunnels that go down pretty far (with stuff occasionally appearing in them) if you go right from where it starts. Apparently there's some minecraft stuff somewhere too? Idk, I spent a few minutes on it earlier but certainly didn't find everything.

I'll be disappointed if Cory Doctorow in the balloon isn't somewhere in the sky.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 12:59 PM   #70
takkupanda
Charismagnetism

Send a message via Skype™ to takkupanda
They put some real effort into making this one!

Fizzy Bubbles

Cable Club Trading List
takkupanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 03:15 PM   #71
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Here's a scrollable version.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:44 PM   #72
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Today's SMBC is pretty awesome hahaha
Old 10-07-2012, 07:12 AM   #73
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

And once again, SMBC is really sweet.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #74
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Today's SMBC is a knock out of the park for any philosophy fans in the audience.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:00 PM   #75
DaisyInari
Sarasaland represent!

Send a message via MSN to DaisyInari
Altaria

Just thought I'd share this one comic because I totally did not expect the ending!

D: And what a sad ending it was.

Hi, I'm Daisy!

W(DQ)- 22(3) L(DQ)-14(0)
KO-55
TP-131 SP- 64.5/96.5 (5SP to Deh, 5SP to FW, 5SP to Desert Spirit, 8.5SP to Fallen Icarus, 10SP to Kyro12, 8SP to Charminions, 10 to aposteriori)
SHUCKS I GOTTA FIX THIS SOMETIME
~TL3~

~Fizzy Bubbles~

Credits to Charm for making this!

Come, my birdies!!!! Mwahahahaha!!!!!!

Thanks Pingu for being so nice and making me this~

Credit to TheKnightsFury for the sprite!

Fear my abnormally large signature~

Be Positive Ref~ I <3 you, Lonely Cubone and those who eval'd me~
DaisyInari is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment