UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 02-11-2008, 04:21 PM   #276
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Re: big bad birtha's suggestion box 2: secret passions unveiled

The more I think about it, the more sad I am that the branding scene was left out from the manga. Come on that's good stuff! You can't just leave something like that out! Commission an unheard of 27 episode season if you have to! Also what if Fukumoto decides that hey, I want that 21 tattoo on Kaiji's shoulder to play a vital role later on in my story! They'd be screwed!

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:17 PM   #277
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Glad you're enjoying Minamike, Mcsweeney.

Doppel, willing to take another free vote tonight. Do I go for Ghost Hound? (which you seem to really like) or is the Afro Samurai more deserving? or possibly the third guy?
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:32 PM   #278
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger

Medicine Seller by reputation is probably the best choice. I've heard nothing spectacular of Ghost Hunt (rather than "Hound") and Afro Samurai is a rather soulless character, even if he's voiced by Samuel L. Jackson. MS is something like Ginko from Mushishi crossed with Kyon from Haruhi, or so I've heard.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:35 PM   #279
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Goooooood morning! =O I hash arrived from the little depression phase I had, and hopefully, it is over with, so I shouldn't leave for extended periods of time anymore.

Now, back to business. Timothy (Mcsweeny), here's a sexy Minami-ke clip for j00.(this is the third time I showed it off, but I'm sure he hasn't seen it.) Just like in everything else he is in, Hosaka is the best part of this video. I love that crazy laugh.

Also, I have downloaded, installed, and patched Underwaterrayromano, so it's ready to play. I have just been too busy IaMPing to play it (I keep improving =3 Maybe I will hit Japanese level soon.)

Now, for the version of Rozen Maiden I have been watching....=3 I have taken the liberty to upload every episode I have watched on Youtube. Well, one was too long, so it's not included, but 2-4 is in there. Here's my favorite episode. I loved all of them. Episode 5 isn't on nicovideo yet, but I will upload it when it is =D. I'll admit that the humor is neither clever nor well done, but I can't help but laugh my ass off. Here's a picture =D

Now for my savory review of Bottle Fairy....

Bottle Fairy- OMG!! I have never had such a strong urge to just pick up and squeeze the stuffing out of a character since I have met Ayu. This is pure adorableness. As for the rest of it though....it's alright. It doesn't really have a plot, and I kind of feel like a 5 year old Japanese girl when watching this. Despite that, I still loved it, and I absolutely adore Chiriri. I can't give it anything really high, but it's still good enough to score a nice very good.

Oh, I have also received Kanon DVD 2 with artbox and the Midori no Hibi dvd set =3. When I looked at the artbox, the first thing that popped up in my head was "I already have all of these images saved to my computer ;_;" >.> That's kind of a shame, but it's still a great artbox. Even after getting into Touhou and falling in love with Marisa and Youmu, Ayu's still number one =3.

Now, off to watch my new episodes ^o^
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:44 PM   #280
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I just had a burst of nostalgia so I feel compelled to note that, in addition to finishing Shana (meh) and downloading Rosario and Gambling Legend Tetsuya (yes, someone is finally subbing it), I've got a message for Loki. Rather, a recommendation.

Loki, you should consider watching Baccano!, especially after the DVD rips come out. The more I re-watch it, the stronger I feel it's your cup of tea and a series you could grow rather fond of. It combines two shows that I know you value rather highly (Black Lagoon and Cowboy Bebop) so I'm curious to see how you would like it.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-12-2008, 01:52 AM   #281
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Oh, wow. Rosario 06 introduced "Werewolf Hosaka"...how funny. And I saw the ending for the first time. There's even more fanservice in that than the main episodes! And good stuff, too - Vampire Moka + Tsukune pairing? Do want.

Rosario episodes are great, it only take me three minutes to watch each. As opposed to twelve hours to watch Kaiji..>_>

Edit: Kitaro was great, and I'm watching Tetsuya. Tetsuya is a JERK! This show isn't very technical like Akagi either - Akagi made some effort to make the game legible, people would be lost if they just dove into this! Tetsuya makes himself out to be some hot-shot at reading people but his skill looks half-arsed at best. Nothing but a cheating punk!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-12-2008, 06:44 AM   #282
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger
Rosario episodes are great, it only take me three minutes to watch each. As opposed to twelve hours to watch Kaiji..>_>
Does not compute. Both series' episodes are longer than 3 minutes but shorter than 12 hours; and both series' episodes are so heavily seeded even weeks after release that it shouldn't take you more than 2 hours to get either episode. I usually get Kaiji in under 30 minutes.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:14 AM   #283
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I decided to finish the filler episode Monster 18 while eating breakfast today, only to discover almost towards the end just how good it got. That was a plot twist I was not expecting. I sort of hoped that Anna would have stayed with Mr. Rosso to learn a few things, but oh well. The episode ended sort of ambiguously though: did her discovery of his past return him to his past self? (Bad End) otherwise, why was she crying so much on the train? I would figure that a girl you hired at your restaurant finding out about your criminal past wouldn't be enough to make you return to being a criminal -- not when you chose yourself to quit doing that line of work, and the reason you had for making that decision still exists. Hmm.

Started episode 19. Man, this show deals with some fucked up territory. :x Made me really uncomfortable listening to that doctor pry into the serial killer's sexual motives. I definitely agree with something he said, though, and it's something that scares the shit out of me whenever I try to rationalize people's actions: in order to truly get inside the mind of the criminal, in order to truly see things as he saw them and thus to figure out the case, one takes the risk of plunging into the abyss and becoming the very monster one is trying to capture. So true. So basically ... they've more or less confirmed that this "Rudy" character is basically a pervert with sexual-psychopathic tendencies. Great. Just great. GTFO out of his house while you can, Tenma!

Had to quit 6 minutes in because I'll miss the bus from the parking lot otherwise. Gotta head out!
Old 02-12-2008, 02:51 PM   #284
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

I can't say I'd recommend Tetsuya, since most of the entertainment value will come from laughing at how bad it is. xd

"NAN DA TO?! YAKUMAAAN"

*munch munch* | FB Profile
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 03:00 PM   #285
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

How he lost that first match escapes me. He was winning huge hands in almost every round, then goes down to a Baiman? A Baiman that only occurred because he dropped the 9 Wan in shock? With a Kokushi wait he could have substituted the 9 Wan for something else, ended the game in Tenpai and won everything; that idiot tried to push it a little too hard.

I don't get that final hand, either. Pinfu, Sanshoku, Jun Chan? Baiman with no Reverse Dora?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-12-2008, 03:34 PM   #286
Talon87
時の彼方へ

[center:14gpkn4g]FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY![/center:14gpkn4g]

[center:14gpkn4g]The Triad, everyone's favorite fansub group for the series Akagi and Kaiji, and also one of the best translators in the fansubbing community (I guarantee it), has uploaded their complete sub of the first season of Higurashi, Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni, and it can be yours in under 4 hours for just 300kbps of DL bandwidth.[/center:14gpkn4g]

[center:14gpkn4g]The Triad's Discussion Page[/center:14gpkn4g]

Their argument: Geneon folded, and nobody's bothered to pick Higurashi back up, so it's "game on" as far as they're concerned.

Why bother now: Because Ayu's sub (apparently) was factually inaccurate and generally felt inferior, according to fans comparing the final episodes (which only Ayu subbed) with the earlier Ayu-subbed episodes and Triad-subbed episodes. So if you're a diehard Higurashi fan and want the supreme in fansubbing translation, you'll want to redownload this while it's hot.

Why it's a limited time only: Because, in all likelihood one of the following is going to happen:
a) you just know you're going to sign on tomorrow only to find out that Bandai / ADV / Funimation has announced their acquisition of the license and The Triad is going to take the torrent back down
b) The Triad is going to get squeamish about legal threats and take it down. (They are one of the first fansub groups to take down series they are subbing which have been licensed for distribution in the USA.)
c) Once everybody downloads it, the smexy bandwidth will be gone and then it's going to take you days to download this batch instead of hours

I just thought that Higurashi fans might like to know.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:34 PM   #287
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Dopple, I have played a little bit of Satan Ray Romano. I haven't gotten too deeply into it though. It does stick to the anime so far, because in the game, I am still laughing my ass off at the exaggerated water sounds XD. It was always funny as hell in the anime when the water sounds was like louder than everything else in it. It's not a complaint, but more of an observation.

Now, I'll be off to do what I do best.

*puts his hands on head and does the caramelldansen dance*
Old 02-12-2008, 05:20 PM   #288
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I gotta ask ... what kind of fucked up show is Higurashi, anyway? 'Cause I just opened Episode 1 and, in the first 5 seconds, we see:
- First, some words being typed. Oh, it's the date!
- Second ... a kid destroying a human or animal with a baseball bat

Yeah, I knew Higurashi contained this scene in it, but I wasn't expecting it in the first 5 seconds. So I just want to ask before I go any further , is all of the show like this? (a big bloodfest with people destroying other people's bodies) Or is there actually a point to this atrocious gore, and is this atrocious gore actually relatively sparse (i.e. occupying 5% or less of the total airtime)?
Old 02-12-2008, 05:28 PM   #289
McSweeney
Soul Badge

You should really watch the first four episodes!

Hey wait a minute, why are you complaining about gore? You like Elfen Lied right? There's way less in Higurashi.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 02-12-2008, 05:45 PM   #290
Talon87
時の彼方へ

In Elfen Lied, limbs were sliced off or people were decapitated. IMO, that is in no way more fucked up than beating a girl's body into a bloody pulp with a baseball bat. The latter is pure animalistic barbarism. A sick act performed against an already-dead body. The former was Lucy fighting to escape, to survive, and to get revenge for the puppy -- she never really killed anybody needlessly. (Unlike Mariko.)

And yeah. Take all of Lucy's gory scenes combined and they don't hold a candle to the scene where the orphanage boys destroy Lucy's puppy.

I guess (to me, and I'm sure to many others) beating a body into a bloody pulp is one of the most heinously gory things one can do; and people's hearts being torn from their chests or their heads flying through the air just don't compare.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:58 PM   #291
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

The first four episodes of Higurashi were the only episodes that were good! The series rapidly depreciated in quality after that and season two was just horrible. But yeah Talon, much of the first season is pretty gore-filled and suspenseful, but when the actual plot gets revealed in its arsinine glory, people start to miss the gore.

Actually, I liked Tsumihoroboshi-hen but the final fight sucked and it was really poorly adapted.

Also, Ayu was a terrible fansubber. WiND was worse but better folks overall and nicer to download from.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-12-2008, 06:05 PM   #292
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Yikes. Sounds like this was a waste of 4.5 GB of bandwidth, then. :x Oh well. Into the kiln (burner) before it goes into the fire (storage, never to be heard from again). Monster is currently too good to consider swapping it out for Higurashi anyway.

In other news, SS-Eclipse has gotten their hi-def MKV release of Clannad through Episode 15 now, and somebody uploaded the third chunk of the Kaiji manga to NyaaTorrents. By third chunk, I don't mean E-Card; I mean "if all of Season 1 of the anime is 'Chunk 1', then this is 'Chunk 3'." My understanding is that Chunk 3 is the one where Kaiji finally plays mahjong; I'll be sure to let you all know!

Mcsweeney! Do you want me to confirm or deny if Akagi makes a cameo appearance? Or would you rather not know?

And finally, before you all cry "Talon! Don't spoil it for yourself!", rest easy. I just plan on looking at a few of the pages from the various 11 chapters and then I'll just file it away for the day we get through that arc in the anime. As we had damn well better get a 72+ episode Kaiji. No more of this "ending prematurely like Akagi" bullshit.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:53 PM   #293
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I learned the rules of "17 Steps Minefield Mahjong" a while back and I'm not exactly pleased, though not unhappy at the same time. It's not precisely mahjong but at the same time not like that hideous "American" mahjong game people play on computers (not the American-style mahjong, that pyramid monstrosity).

To put it in codified terms, mahjong has been "Kaijified" in Part III of Kaiji. It's turned into a variant gamble not unlike Gentei Janken from the first round, and is very simplified.

Not giving specifics here, just trying to give an impression of my thoughts.

On Higurashi Talon, I wouldn't say the series is a waste per se, but a lot of the appeal is in the psychotic and bloody murders with the mystery as a driving force of curiosity. The issue is...remember when you mentioned a while back that Naruto might have been an accident of creativity on Masashi Kishimoto's part, and that he stumbled onto a kick-arse story but didn't really have the writing ability to flesh it out fully? I'd say the same could be said of Higurashi only Ryukishi07 is even less capable than Kishimoto with his respective series; Minagoroshi-hen is a cop-out to say the least, and Matsuribayashi-hen is contingent on liking characters well enough to overlook the inane Looney Toons-like antics to "beat the bad guys". Top top it off, Ryukishi07 goes "Yeah, remember when I said Matsuribayashi-hen was the final arc? Forget it, the Canal Drying Chapter is" and instead of Looney Tunes we get The Matrix. :P

Really weird series with weird fans but...I'd say if you have time consider watching some of it, if only to see what people are talking about. There's some thematic overlap with Ever17 as BBB noted long ago but the story isn't as, well, science fiction ground, creative of "researched" as it were compared with Ever17, though the two were released not long apart.

Don't put Monster down at all, though. It's Urasawa's best work, easily.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 02-12-2008, 07:59 PM   #294
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

There's only two scenes from Higurashi I know of and one involves a bat completely fucking up someone and the other is a girl stabbing herself in the neck. And I only know of them because of AMV Hell 4 xd.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:06 PM   #295
Talon87
時の彼方へ

No, Higurashi is headed back for the garbage heap as quickly as I got it. I checked out more of episode 1 by randomly placing the cursor somewhere in the middle of the episode, and the screencap below is what I saw. I'm convinced now, more than ever, not only that this is why lolikons love Higurashi so much but furthermore that this is why Higurashi fans seem to be NOTHING BUT lolikons. It's just so ... let's put it this way:

- I like cute things like I like chocolate sauce on ice cream.
- I like serious drama like I like vinegar on fish.
- I think that putting the two together the way Higurashi has is like putting chocolate sauce on fish or vinegar in your vanilla ice cream sundae. :x

Just finished Monster Ep19. Nice. Needless to say, I was wrong about Rudy -- he figured out the truth, helped Tenma escape, and isn't a psychopathic killer himself.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:54 PM   #296
McSweeney
Soul Badge

I pissed my pants when he shines the flashlight on the doll!

TALON, don't delete Higurashi just yet! Watch the first four episodes and then pretend the show ends there. Seriously.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 02-13-2008, 12:01 AM   #297
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Awww......I missed Suigin's decent into Higurashi ;_; Honestly, I'm not surprised that you didn't like it. I just wanted to be in the fray when you started "ARGH! I hate this!"

Anyway, this show definitely IS gruesome. There was one scene where this Shion started stabbing Satoko over and over again. It was so horrible that I started crying!

Okay....I have something I have been meaning to say for a long time.... *sigh* Here goes......Timothy! I love you!!!!

I did it! I confessed to him =3 Anyway, I am going to kind of explain the three the Japanese fads that I have been into the past few days as well as pitch the videos I have been uploading on youtube. I know all of you will not like them. However, I love them and that's all that matters. These are also like the only videos I have been uploading on youtube. Anyway, off to the first one.

Rurouni Kenshin dub- This is a video where almost all of the dub spam material came from. I honestly don't know why it was Kenshin, but it's still great. If you spam anything with Kenshin, I will be laughing my ass off. The videos will put Kenshin voices in at certain times, and most of the time, stick Kenshin faces on the characters. I have seen a CCS opening, a race car thingy, a Digimon OP, and much much more. I love lines such as "Goblin batto", "Secret sword 2", and especially "FUTAE NO KIWAMI! AHHHHHHHHHH!"
Kinds I have uploaded: Flandre Scarlet theme orgasm fest, Kirby song, Rozen Maiden episodes, and a caramelldansen dance.

Caramelldansen- Well, this came from a Sweedish song actually. Here's the original song. I wanted to get the opening that this came from, but I can't find it. I thought it came from the Popotan game, but I get something else when I look >.> *shudders* Anyway, the videos I have found/uploaded are adorable X3 Of course, almost all of them are touhou. I'm sure that Suigin will be the first to say "I fucking hate this!" since it does kind of attract the lolicons (my first subscriber is one.) They are all of one or two characters dancing to a remixed version of the song. The characters put their hands beside their foreheads and shake their hips left and right. Most of them also have a giant smile on their faces. They are so addictingly cute.
Kinds I have uploaded: Aya, Tewi and Reisen, Chen and Ran, a better version of Chen and Ran, Marisa and Alice, Kenshin spam, Keine and Mokou, and a big Touhou group one.

Flandre Scarlet themed orgasm fests- I don't know how else to describe them. I also don't know their origin. All I know is that they are these videos that have anime or fads and make them sound out Flandre Scarlet's theme song. Now, these are some of the most insane videos I have ever seen, and that's a great thing. I have found a Ronald one, an angry German kid one, and some others. The most insane one I have seen is one about Tsukasa from Lucky Star.
Kinds I have uploaded: Tsukasa, Clannad, Mixed, Ruroni Kenshin, Higurashi, and Kaiji.

Err....I haven't really watched or done anything, because I had work today ;_;
Old 02-13-2008, 12:07 AM   #298
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Also, about your offer to reveal an Akagi cameo if you find one, sure go ahead, only because I doubt it exists. I'm pretty sure I would have heard about it!

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 02-13-2008, 12:11 AM   #299
McSweeney
Soul Badge

big bad birtha! I ... I've been fantasizing about this girl at work from afar, but you've been there for me all along! What a fool I've been!

Speaking of which, I really hope Hosaka gets together with that girl who has a crush on him. At least ONE GIRL in that school has good taste!

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 02-13-2008, 12:29 AM   #300
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Just got home, started playing Ray Romano on Hard 3. It is hard, I was thinking I could get through it with no trouble. Wrong-o! -_-
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime