UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 09-01-2012, 01:32 PM   #1
tau
Cascade Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to tau
First experience with Pokemon?

What was your first experience with Pokemon?

Wooh boy. Get your Nintendo Power and Power Gloves ready, kiddos, we're goin' back to the nineties for this one.

Genesis does what Nintendon't? Blast processing? Blast and poppycock, I say. We're talkin' Pokemans!

It was 1998. Pokemon just hit, and hit big in the States. It was all that was discussed at school for a long time to come- Robotech? Dragon Ball? They no longer mattered. All that mattered were these awesome fighting monsters and the games that let you control them.

I almost immediately hopped on the bandwagon for this. They seemed so cool, the designs, the names, all of it. The first birthday present I ever asked for as a kid came this year- Pokemon Blue, and a Gameboy Color. This was going to be -epic-.

Fast forward to the end of October, 1998. Morning of my birthday. I'm officially in the double digits now, 10 years old, kind of a big deal.

And there they were. A rectangular wrapped package, and sitting on top of it, a second package exactly the size and shape of a Gameboy game box. This was it.

I waited. I waited all God damned day. Friends, family, cake, horrible off-key singing. I sat through it all, but my eyes never strayed far from the promise of monster battling goodness that awaited me.

Finally, present time came. I opened and tossed aside everything preceding them- they were irrelevant. Poster? Cool, but that wasn't why I was here. A couple cassette tapes? Lovely. I adore music.

But that's not why I was here.

Finally I was down to the two, the pinnacle of my birthday. I reached for the game- it HAD to be the game- and was intercepted by a final gift. I tore this open, impatient but knowing that I had to be polite. A Pokemon comic? Awesome! I'd read that when I had time, but for now, video games.

I reached for it. I ripped the wrapping paper to shreds in my effort to get it to it.

And there it was, staring me down in all its glory.

YES. Finally. Now, to claim my Gameboy Color, the means by which I would enter this world of adventure and-

...oh. Oooh. Oh...

It was a colored Gameboy. I was momentarily shaken, but... Blue played on the oldschool brick, didn't it? It had it.

It did.

My momentary confusion over my fathers ignorance at recognizing handheld gaming platforms aside, this is how my Pokemon adventure began.

I have that Gameboy and that Pokemon Blue cart to this day, and Gen 1 has forever been my Generation.

SO. If anyone bothered to read this far... what's your story? How'd you first get into Pokemon?
tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 01:48 PM   #2
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

My friend Matthew had Pokemon Blue and I played it all the time, so I convinced my parents to buy me the Pokemon Blue + Game Boy Color combo pack thing they were selling at Sam's Club. I think it was 1998 or 1999.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:22 PM   #3
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

I got into Pokemon in 1996. Before it was even considered to ever make it big in the US. There was a tiny blurb in an August Nintendo Power. That's it. With only the pictures of the 3 starters and a brief summary of the game. I instantly fell in love. I started to track it and stuff. I learned that in August of 1998 it was on sale in NY and CA. I got the game and then I also moved. I also found out when the show would start to air. But it was this time that I moved to North Carolina and.. the game wasn't even for sale there. And nobody even knew what it was. Oh well. I was ALL OVER that shit.

In fact, when I got it in NY, I was stalking the shit out of that store. I saw the truck come and the guy opened the very first box and gave me the first first blue. (*'-')/ Yeah I'm awesome.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:31 PM   #4
tau
Cascade Badge

Blue version all over this thread, I love it. You guys are the best guys.

My friend still says I'm dumb for both getting Blue as a kid and choosing Squirtle as my first starter.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:10 PM   #5
Charminions
Your reality is mine

I was a 7 y/o who wanted to play because it was cool. Ended up getting a GBA with Gold on my birthday, even though R/S was out at that time. So yeah, Gold was my very first game.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:19 PM   #6
JustAnotherUser
Only Mostly Lurking

Send a message via Skype™ to JustAnotherUser
God, I was like... 4? 5? I loved the cartoon, and one day my sort-of-step-brother lent me his copy of Yellow and a gameboy to have a mess around on. I loved the game - though I accidentally deleted the save file, heh. I got my own GBA SP and pokemon Ruby when I was six or seven, and I've been playing the games ever since.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:27 PM   #7
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
First grade in 1999/2000, a few kids had Red/Blue and were gracious enough to let me play. Didn't own my own game until FR in like 2004 or something.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:35 PM   #8
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

I think I was in the 7th grade. At the time my family was kind of poor so I didn't have a GB or a copy of Pokemon. But I had a rich friend who bought himself a newer Gameboy (color?) and so he lent me his GB. He also let me borrow his copy of Red because he wanted to play Blue mostly. I think I borrowed both for almost 5 years when I randomly found them in the 12th grade and returned it to him. I think I already had GBA and Ruby and since they couldn't transfer over, I didn't feel any need to keep Red. A few years later my cousin was cleaning house because he was moving for college. He then gave me his GBC and Red. So I have a copy again lol.

Back in the day, all the battles were so terrible. Whoever had Mewtwo usually won, Alakazam was the next best possible mon. And Hyperbeam was DESTRUCTIVE!
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:47 PM   #9
Talon87
時の彼方へ

In August 1998, whenever I came home from school I would sometimes watch DuckTales on UPN23. It was a show I watched growing up as a kid so there was the nostalgia factor. It was also a pretty good kids show. There was also nothing else better on during that time slot. During the commercial breaks, I saw advertisements for Pokémon. But it came on after DuckTales (iirc) and I would normally change the channel then to watch something on Fox.

Then one day in September, I didn't change the channel. It was the first time Battle Aboard the St. Anne aired in the United States and I watched every last second of it. Back then, Pokémon registered to me as "Japanimation" (I didn't even know at the time that that was what we were calling it that back then, let alone "anime"). It looked like that SuperBook show I used to watch on Saturday mornings on the Bible channel. Or like that My Neighbor Totoro movie this one girl had brought in to daycare over the summer once and I had completely loved. But this Pokémon show wasn't as boring as SuperBook or Totoro. It was exciting, faster paced, and great.

The next day, Pokémon Shipwreck aired for the first time ever. I also had an orthodontist appointment scheduled for that afternoon. My mom first asked me, then told me, then sternly ordered me to get in the van now. I can't remember now all these years later whether I cried or not but I definitely remember pleading with her to call the orthodontist and cancel my appointment and reschedule for another date. I didn't want to miss this episode no matter what. Of course she didn't listen and I missed the second half of the sixteenth episode of the series. But it was at that point that I think I knew, with such surprising speed (only one and a half episodes!? ), that I was hooked.

The following day I rushed home from school, aligned the antenna to get the best possible reception, and sat back and enjoyed The Island of the Giant Pokémon, one of the best episodes in the franchise to this very day. If I wasn't already hooked (given yesterday's events), I was most definitely hooked now. Pokémon was my show.

My sister was still in elementary school at the time and didn't get home until an hour after I did. That meant that she missed Pokémon most days. I wanted to rectify this. So starting with Tentacool and Tentacruel, the fourth episode I'd ever seen of this show, keep in mind, I began a tradition that would continue for over two years: I religiously recorded Pokémon to VHS cassette tapes while fine-tuning the family television for the best possible picture. That night, my parents actually brought dinner to my bedroom where my sister and I, sat on the carpet on the floor of my bedroom, watched Tentacool and Tentacruel on the VHS cassette tape I'd recorded onto.

Yeah. Yeaaaaaaah. I was really into this show.

I asked for the games for Christmas and, ever a patient child, waited until then. A few friends may have gotten their hands on the games before me but for the most part Pokémania didn't really sweep my school until after the Christmas holidays and I had been at the front of the storm even before Christmas. It's actually kind of funny though in hindsight. Back when the episodes were first airing in syndication, all of my best friends and several other random kids in my classes admitted to watching Pokémon and enjoying it. But once we ran out of new episodes and they repeated from the start for the very first time, a lot of my friends renounced Pokémon as did most of the kids at school. This all happened before Pokémania swept the nation.

My first games were Pokémon Blue and Red. Got both for Christmas in 1998. Played Blue first of course. My starter was naturally Bulbasaur, my favorite of Ash's Pokémon who was an eligible choice here. But I was astounded by just how dissimilar the games were to the show. I mean, they were pleasantly similar in a lot of ways too, but like, for starters I was so surprised that Pikachu was not someone you could choose to be your starter. For a second, that you could only have one of them. ^_^; For a third, that Team Rocket acted so differently in the game than in the show. But I was pretty much over the moon with those games. Played them all day long Christmas Day ... and the next day ... and the next day after that ... and pretty much all of my winter vacation.

I could keep going but you asked what my first experience with Pokemon was, not my life's story with Pokemon , so I'll stop here. But as for something you wrote in your own post ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tau View Post
YES. Finally. Now, to claim my Gameboy Color, the means by which I would enter this world of adventure and-

...oh. Oooh. Oh...

It was a colored Gameboy. I was momentarily shaken, but... Blue played on the oldschool brick, didn't it? It had it.

It did.

My momentary confusion over my fathers ignorance at recognizing handheld gaming platforms aside, this is how my Pokemon adventure began.
I'd give your old man a little more credit and 10 year old you a little less: your dad couldn't have bought you the GameBoy Color even if he'd tried his hardest because it wasn't out in North America in time for your birthday. It had only just come out in Japan less than two weeks prior and wouldn't be out in American stores until some time later in November. So basically, even if 10 year old you had heard about it from informed friends or older brothers or television ads, it wasn't something your dad was able to buy for you not because of his "ignorance at recognizing handheld gaming platforms" but because it wasn't on the American market period by the time of your birthday. ^_^;
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 05:53 PM   #10
tau
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post

I'd give your old man a little more credit and 10 year old you a little less: your dad couldn't have bought you the GameBoy Color even if he'd tried his hardest because it wasn't out in North America in time for your birthday. It had only just come out in Japan less than two weeks prior and wouldn't be out in American stores until some time later in November. So basically, even if 10 year old you had heard about it from informed friends or older brothers or television ads, it wasn't something your dad was able to buy for you not because of his "ignorance at recognizing handheld gaming platforms" but because it wasn't on the American market period by the time of your birthday. ^_^;
Holy shit, I was certain the GBC had been released September. I guess I can blame foggy childhood memories and hype over prospective Nintendo products, but its fair to say I just misremembered the actual mindset I was in.

Hear about GBC -> Ask for GBC expecting it to be out -> Discover the horrible truth.

That said, interesting story! I was all about the games and never really got into the show, something about Ash bothered me. That and the fact that Team Rocket was obsessed (at least initially) with Pikachu, which as I understood it was a fairly common Pokemon and wouldn't be worth that much.

Not only were they stalking a ten year old to steal his completely run-of-the-mill starter, they were consistently failing to do so, which irked me.

(Not that I have any right to complain about silly villains, I still <3 Starscream)
Old 09-01-2012, 10:43 PM   #11
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
My older brother had Blue. I played it a bit, but not all that much. What I did play, I loved.

My birthday, a year or so later (foggy on the exact time), I was given my first Pokemon game: Crystal.

And my brother's old hand-me-down Game Boy Pocket.

See a problem there? Me, too. Crystal was GBC-only, and I was given a non-colour one.

Luckily, my neighbor had some Pokemon interest, too, and he had Silver, and a Game Boy Colour. We swapped games, and I never looked back since.

Silver was my first ever game. I think I chose Totodile as my starter, and every single Pokemon was such a wonder. I was really, really pissed at the lack of certain Gen 1 favourites of mine, however, like the total inability to get an Omanyte or Kabuto in-game without trading. Togepi totally kicked Morty ass with Mud Slap, too. And I got so frustrated when Bill's gramps wanted to see a round green Pokemon with leaves on its head, but wouldn't look at my Sunkern (because I knew Oddish was blue, so why even try it?).

As for the anime, I started at more or less the beginning. It's funny that you mention Tentacool and Tentacruel, Talon, because I think that is the only episode before the Silver Conference that I have never seen to this day. We, too, used to record the show. My brother and I would review the Pokerap and draw our favourites, and then play battle with them. I distinctly remember pausing to draw Electrode (if I remember right, I was drawing on yellow paper).

The card game, too, I jumped on when it entered the US. I remember the first pre-assembled deck I ever saw sold. Mostly just that it had a holo Machamp in front of it, the main point of that deck. I remember thinking that that was so cool.

I remember there was a vendor at the mall that sold the cards. I absolutely loved the Jungle set. If I remember correctly, there was a Flareon on one of them, and I just fell in love with it. My second favourite was the Fossil set, but it was really hard to use because the Mysterious Fossil had such low HP. Team Rocket was huge for me too when it came out, because the Dark Dragonair is and always will be my single favourite card in any set anywhere. It was the main inspiration for a sig in ASB for Dragonair.

I didn't get into the GSC sets after the re-design (meaning I did get into Neo-Destiny ad the ones around there; the ones with the same format as the first sets) until after RSE came out, when I got the Team Aqua Deck, and then a couple Aquaopolis boosters, and a couple Gen 2 theme decks (although the main Pokemon were an Alakazam and a Vileplume). I'm not completely with the times now; I've barely kept up with the latter Gen IV and the items for some reason attached to some of the Pokemon.

So I've been into Pokemon for a long time. I have some serious issues in my life, and the fact that I had Pokemon to lean on all these years is probably the single biggest factor in me not losing it completely through the years. I thank Loki for Pokemon.
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.

Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:52 PM   #12
tau
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairne View Post

So I've been into Pokemon for a long time. I have some serious issues in my life, and the fact that I had Pokemon to lean on all these years is probably the single biggest factor in me not losing it completely through the years. I thank Loki for Pokemon.
That right there is the kinda thing I had in mind when I started this thread, actually. I adored the Pokemon games as a kid, and somewhere along the line I fell out of love with it.

I went back and forth during the console wars, I played Mario and Megaman and Sonic and Zelda and Panzer Dragoon and so on, but I stayed away from Pokemon for the longest time.

I've been through some pretty serious rough patches in my life as well, even as a child, and Pokemon- at the time- was a sort of pure fun and escapism that I just didn't get elsewhere.

Flash forward to just a few weeks ago, and several semi-lengthy discussions with another FB member who I'm friends with, and I was convinced to get back into the franchise.

I dusted off Blue and my Gameboy, I even tracked down Leaf Green to compare, and I registered and started posting here (obviously enough) and... it feels like coming home, as dumb as that sounds.

It was always another world to run around and explore and have fun, and I'm kind of ashamed I'd forgotten that for so long.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:47 PM   #13
phoopes
Double Dragon

Well... I've been surrounded by Pokemon for as long as I can remember. I was born in '96, so I don't remember much, if anything, of the original anime. However, I do have some foggy recollections of a few things. I had so many Pokemon toys and cards from when I was a little kid which were very sadly sold off by my parents once they thought I was "too old" for Pokemon, at age ten. I don't remember exactly what card sets I had, or what toys I had either. All I know is that I didn't know how to play the card game, but the pictures were freakin' awesome. One of things I do still have from that time though is a poster. Didn't bother searching for mine at this hour of night, but here's a picture of a similar one. It's a sticker poster, and to this day, I still am a bit upset that my little kid fingers couldn't get Zapdos on just right. It would have been perfect!

Moving on to second gen, this is where I remember more anime stuff. Still not a whole lot, but there's a few burned deep into my brain, like when Ash caught his Noctowl. I especially remember this because I thought it was so weird that it was a different color than a normal Noctowl. Didn't know at this point that it was shiny, or what that even meant. At this point, I still hadn't owned a Pokemon game yet, but my best friend and I played either Gold or Silver (can't remember which at this point) on his GBC. Loved it to death, and I still remember the intense moments of when we beat the Elite Four together.

Third gen was when I truly became the Pokemon fan I am today. I remember a lot more of the anime at this point, though May will still never be as good as Misty, no matter how much I like her. For the games... I got Ruby the first day it came out, and have spent hundreds of hours playing it over the years. Though nowadays, it just doesn't have the same feel it did on the GBA, it still brings back so many memories. My first ever Pokemon was a Torchic, which I now have as a Blaziken on my White version. I can still remember my first Hall of Fame from that game, too. Blaziken, Groudon, Aggron, Tentacruel, Pelipper, and Magneton. Drake of the Elite 4 fully introduced me to Dragon types, my favorite type to this very day. And Rayquaza... the full battle is almost completely etched into my mind. Caught it on the fourth Ultra Ball, I remember. Yeah, it wasn't that long, but boy was it a bitch to even get to him at six years old, and then catching him was so satisfying. Still my favorite Pokemon of all time.

So yeah, I guess that's my first full experience with Pokemon. Started off a little bit in first gen, grew in second gen, and then it came out in full with third gen, my favorite to this day.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:24 AM   #14
Treepandaone
Original Gangsters

It's 1999 and I'm 12; the peak of my childhood and the keeper upper of latest crazes. They hit like WILD FIRE crazy, people went mental over them and if you weren't up to date you weren't cool. I lived in a town far away from anything, quite remote really, with nothing surrounding it and just a few houses in the main square.

Sure, it was boring, but I had known no other way. My mom divorced my dad ages ago and we'd moved out pf the city and into the country to get away from the hustle and bustle of the bigger cities; mainly so my mom could recover and get her feelings right. She never told me, until I was much older, that she'd divorced my dad, she just said he was "away".

As I said, 12 years old in a town that's countrified; literally nothing to do but play with my neighbors, and he was a bit of an ass. His dad was some genius and his dad before him so he always got what he wanted which sucked.

Anyway his dad had been to Japan for work and seen the craze over there were these little monsters, played in gameboys and cards, t-shirts and merchandise flowed through the fake markets and shops along the way, but it was the level of intensity in which it hit. He didn't know that it had been released in America but he could tell it was going to be the next big thing, and it was probably just before Pokémon was released in Europe, must've been a few months.

Anyway my mate got a “translated” copy of the originals and it was the shit. I mean, me and him must've played on that game for hours man; the challenge of controlling these awesome designs, beating a crime organisations, battling powerful gym leaders, taking on the Elite Four and THEN catching the “legendary” (although at the time we didn't realise they were, the translation wasn't great) so Mewtwo was a bad-ass. I think he played the game for a month or two solid and I wasn't far behind, I was watching, taking control when he let me and really getting into Pokémon.

Then all of a sudden my local game store advertised the release of Pokémon into the EU, saying it had revolutionized a craze in Japan and the US. I was ecstatic but I couldn't convince my mom to drive me in the car so I decided to walk from the countryside.

So I set off and got to this open field, and just as I was about to jump the fence a voice yelled at me. I turned round and this old man was running towards me saying “don't go into the long grass!! Wild Pokémon live in there!!”

He was my mate's grandad and he was a professor, who gave me a Pokémon of my own and I took on the world.
Treepandaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:34 AM   #15
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

Let's see. I stumbled upon the anime first. The first episode I saw was "Pewter City Showdown." I remember hearing Misty saying that Rock Pokemon were weak to Water Pokemon; and thinking, 'that makes perfect sense.'

Didn't realize it was a game franchise until a few months later, despite having the Nintendo Power subscription. Started with Blue, think it was a Christmas gift, chose Bulbasaur because I think Nintendo Power suggested I should.

LOL...I remember using the term "japanimation."
jolteonjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #16
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

I first became aware of the Pokémon's popularity in elementary school, and when an episode of the show came on I finally decided to sit down and see what all the craze was about. It was Ash's battle with Brock (hey, same as JJ =O). I remember getting pretty pumped up, and feeling exceptionally proud of being able to guess "Who's That Pokémon?" right away (it was Onix, duh).

My brother's initial experience was more confusing, since the first episode he saw was the Ditto one with Duplica. He was extremely puzzled as to why there were two Pikachu, Ashes, etc. XP

Neither of us got official games until G/S. He got Gold, I got Silver. To this day they're the only legit cartridges we own. ^^; We did play ROMs of RBY before, but I don't remember much from them. So I would technically and personally consider Silver my first Pokémon game. (Sadly, I discovered my file got corrupted last year, so I lost all my data. =()
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:26 PM   #17
deoxys
Fog Badge

Late 1997/Early 1998. I came home from school one day and had received this promotional video in the mail:

I remember being incredibly excited to watch it but was told I could only see it after I finished my homework. I don't have specifics, but I recall having known about Pokemon from prior to that, from where and when I don't know as I wasn't sure of what Pokemon was the very first time I saw it, but I thought it was cool, and upon seeing the video in the mail I became overwhelmed with excitement due to seeing it again.

Here is the video in question (warning: cheesy)

BORKED

Then, my interest returned for the games when I saw this in the very last page of a 'Disney Adventures' magazine, which had this advertisement:

I immediately fell in love with Poliwhirl for some reason (it was my first favorite Pokemon and remained that way for a long time).

I began showing my friends and talking to them about it, and one of them had a relative who worked at Toys R Us and had a few spare promotional Pokemon posters, which had the entire Pokedex on it, and they gave one to me (this all occurred leading up to or during the release of the franchise in the states).

I became pretty obsessed, needless to say. I went on to participate in the Pokemon Mall Tour in 2000, got Mew, and received two badges in the gameboy link tournament. Bought a bunch of japanese cards and packs, had a huge collection of cards, even the, at the time, illustrious white star "Here Comes Team Rocket!" and 1st Edition Charizard, among others that have since disappeared.

Damn, this nostalgia makes me want to play Red and Blue again. Kind of.

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

Last edited by deoxys; 09-02-2012 at 08:29 PM.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:35 PM   #18
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Man, that's pretty crazy, deo. With a story like that it's a wonder why you weren't around on one of the big Pokémon forums back in the day. I guess age, internet access, etc might have something to do with it. (Especially that pesky et cetera. )
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:45 PM   #19
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

I was visiting some friends in 2007 when one of them started browsing UPN. I started reading and found it pretty amusing, and so I joined. Got into ASB for a while, then eventually got a DS and played Soul Silver when it first came out. Man, that game was amazing! From then on, I was hooked.

Now there are a bunch of new games and new pokemon out there, but to me, HGSS will always be the best. Ah, the good old days. Can't believe it's been so long o_o

*munch munch* | FB Profile
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 08:46 PM   #20
deoxys
Fog Badge

@Talon

Well, I was. I joined BMGf in 1999 at age 9 and lurked the original UPN just about all day all Summer long. Aside from that, I basically browsed random angelfire, geocities, homestead, and "Top 100" Pokemon sites all day long, too. I remember listening to midi covers of songs and watching video clips of the banned episodes, as well as finding out all about Gold and Silver before information came out over here. I have so much nostalgia from that time period that it's not even funny, ha.

Guess I should also mention I was a spoiled brat and got Pokemon Red and Blue at the same exact time, I THINK for Christmas. Memory is foggy on that one. I know I got Gold and Silver as a random after school gift when the released though. Oh god, Gold and Silver changed EVERYTHING. By far my favorite generation. You had Day and Night, times, dailies, ALL OF KANTO, BY COMPLETE SURPRISE, badges, oh god. Just. Best. Games. EVER.

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

Last edited by deoxys; 09-02-2012 at 08:57 PM.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:55 PM   #21
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Oh Morg u so silly!
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 02:08 PM   #22
Firewater
Volcano Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Firewater
I was 8 I think, and for my brother's birthday, he got a GBC and both versions, well technically he got Blue version, I got Red. Problem was that I lost my Red version soon after, though I did get a GBC of my own eventually (have 2 still, the magenta one and a Lime Green one), Blue was the one that one of my cousins, him, and I ended up beating. I was kind of awful at the game, took me 2 weeks to figure out and escape Rock Tunnel, and relatively overtrained our Venusaur, but I was never so happy than when I called my cousin at 7AM to tell him I'd finally beaten the E4 (seriously, spamming Razor Leaf, against Agatha, even with a Lv.70 Venusaur is a shitty idea, same goes for that damn Charizard), and it was awesome. It broke our hearts when my younger brother restarted it, but I was, and still am hooked... 13 years later.

hell, I still remember the team I had on it (Venusaur/Starmie/Raichu/Kingler/Mewtwo/Hypno) when it got erased.
Old 09-03-2012, 02:20 PM   #23
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I'm a little fuzzy on exactly how I came across Pokémon since I was 7 or 8 at the time, but I remember that I had seen my cousin play the game and the cards and was like "This looks cool!" My parents got me the games for Christmas that year and I played and loved Red version. From then on, I pretty much have been obsessed.

I do remember that the first episode of the Anime I saw was "A Chansey Emergency!", and it took me like a year to see it in full a second time.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:22 AM   #24
tau
Cascade Badge

Not so much a 'first experience' as an early memory of the time period which is saying something, I have very large gaps in my childhood memories, but I think it's worth mentioning.

I just recalled that I have at one point in my life almost marathon-ed Pokemon Snap. I want to say it was the night the first movie premiered (I stayed at a friends house after school, and his mom drove us to see it, and I remember being very impressed with it up until the magical-tear-revival,) and he had rented the game to get 'in the zone' for a full length Pokemon movie.

I don't remember what my first impressions were, but... looking up game play videos now, I think I was a bit easier to impress as a kid.
Old 09-05-2012, 04:45 PM   #25
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
I have a lot of gaps in my memory as a child as well, especially up to about the age of 11 or so, but I do remember that I loved the card game, and my two favourite VHS tapes for so long were Pokemon: The First Movie (and Pikachu's Vacation? Loved the scene shift non-sequitur screens, like the long ass Slowpoke yawn), and Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (the movie). I still almost cry sometimes thinking about how I had to lose two of the most formative things on my childhood.

The first movie made me absolutely fall in love with Donphan, and the nicknames for the fully-evolved starters were great. It also permanently established Team Rocket as more solid characters than the twerps. The depth, the ingenuity, the evil. There's a reason why they're fan favourites, and Cassidy and Bart are so despised.
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.

Slash is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON