Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 03-21-2015, 05:13 PM   #1
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Doctor-X

「私、失敗しないので。」
"I never fail."

From Tokyohive, via DramaAddicts:

Daimon Michiko (Yonekura Ryoko) is a 37-year-old surgeon and is part of a questionable ‘doctor placement service’ that has her wander from hospital to another. She holds a scrupulous compliance when it comes to her working hours, never does any unnecessary chores that don’t require a medical license, and couldn’t care less about the power struggles within the hospitals. Nobody knows how she acquired such a top-level skill that allows her to claim exorbitant sums as reward, but her private life is an even greater mystery to everyone around her. There are rumors that she once had to leave the medical world due to money problems and a medical error, but nobody knows anything for sure…

~*~

I was poking around this morning for an anime or something to watch since I was hoping to find something in Japanese that would be decent listening practice. I've gotten kind of tired with anime as a whole so thought I'd do something different. Fishing around blogs, this caught my eye. I'm generally not one for J-Dramas, but I sure am a sucker for Medical dramas and this one struck a particular chord, likely due to its similarities to another favorite show of mine, House. Michiko Daimon is basically a House expy sans addiction with a genderbend, as an authority-flaunting genius diagnostician (cum surgeon in Doctor-X) who refuses to do grunt work and doesn't play well with others. A lot of the fun and tension is this juxtaposition of the free spirit Japanese Femme-House vs. the conservative boys club of the Japanese hospital hierarchy. As I understand it, Ryoko Yonekura, the actress, is also a pretty popular J-Drama actress and fashion model and she plays her sex appeal for all its worth, dressing in some rather un-doctor-ly outfits throughout the course of the show.

The dynamic with the rest of the cast is pretty interesting, with the semi-corrupt tenured doctors and the overeager residents, alongside the timid nurses and the asskissing boiling temper Business Manager.

So far there's been 3 seasons of it (a rarity, as I understand, in the Asian drama world) and I've only gotten a few episodes through Season 1 thus far but it's been exceptional enough for me to recommend it/start a thread.
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment