UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 08-01-2007, 05:57 PM   #1
Hanatori2
Pokemon Trainer

YouTube Vs. Utube

http://www.inc.com/magazine/20070801/ca ... utube.html

I don't know about you guys, but I'm having a rough time wrapping my mind around the fact that people didn't realize that maybe, just maybe, they were at the wrong site when they visited Universal Tube. That said, the e-mails to Universal Tube are a riot. The one at the beginning of the article from "Tony Soprano" had me dying.
There you have Ochi"

tungsten
Hanatori2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 06:09 PM   #2
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Re: YouTube Vs. Utube

Poor guy. That last line really makes you wonder how people can be in love with their jobs even when they're as boring as selling tubes.

Still, I have to side with YouTube that his demand for "a penny a day for every redirected browser" is ridiculous. YouTube should not be held liable for the idiocy of 95% of the planet just because this UTube guy says they should. It's not really YouTube's fault that his site is flooded with traffic -- it's the morons' own fault themselves.

The solution to this problem is fairly straightforward, but apparently this UTube guy is too selfish to see it this way:
1 - notify your clients and customers that you are changing names (happens all the time)
2 - change your domain name to fit the new company name
3 - pick up where you left off and keep on truckin'

He doesn't have the right (moral [imo] nor legal [factually]) to tell YouTube that they need to change their tactics "or else." Fuck off. :P They've done nothing illegal, they had no malicious intent, they couldn't care less about your shitty little UTube company, and so they have no reason to honor your requests to change their name. The day the US Government agrees that people like Mr. UTube have the right to tell other people what to do because they don't like it is the day this country makes it clear to the world, "Yes, we are going to Hell, and we appear to be stuck inside some sort of handbasket ..."
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 06:44 PM   #3
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Re: YouTube Vs. Utube

Quote:
Originally Posted by INC
Girkins called YouTube's lawyers, who proposed hosting, free of charge, what Web developers call a splash page, which would direct customers looking for YouTube away from Utube.com. But that didn't satisfy Girkins, who suggested that YouTube pay him a penny for each confused browser. YouTube rejected the idea and talks broke down.
Hahaha...no. Girkins should have asked YouTube to HOST his website, then maybe the whole mess would have been a lot less messy. But asking for YouTube to pay up? Greed got the best of him and this fellow will lose his lawsuit, which is sad, since he really isn't at fault here. Or, more likely, "utube" will get purchased by YouTube and Girkins will get a hefty sum but lose his precious URL.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc