The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

Most Similar Cities
1 Lowell MA 51.6
2 Plymouth MA 50.9
3 Boston MA 50.6
4 Sacramento CA 49.6
5 Manchester NH 49.2

It's funny how many of us get associated with Boston because neither I nor any of the other Boston or NE-based UPNers I have met/talked to have the "real" Boston accent. I think Loki obsessing over my accent comes from the fact that he has such a strong NY accent that we all have a weird accent compared to him.

*munch munch* | FB Profile
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:55 PM   #52
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Morg View Post
I think Loki obsessing over my accent comes from the fact that he has such a strong NY accent that
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!? I've talked to Loki plenty of times (not as much as you have, sure, but dozens upon dozens of times) and I don't think he has what could be called "a strong NY accent" at all. An accent, sure, in how he says certain words ... but I definitely feel like it's mild. Hell, I even forgot he had one period until reading your post and reflecting on what he sounds like. (And then I was like, "Yeah, I guess he does have an accent ... " But not a strong one!)

Then again, granted, there's more than one "New York" accent, and it may just be that to me if you don't have that stereotypical strong Brooklyn accent then you're in the clear.

... and now Google and YouTube conspire to show us this. ^^;
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:00 AM   #53
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Yeah, no one on UPN I've met has a 'real' Boston accent. Also, it's not your accent that's got my attention but the things you say lol.

I can't tell if my NY accent is strong since I'm in NY, so everyone pretty much has this accent.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:16 AM   #54
Red Panda
head head bitch

I've been thinking. It seems that while all "New England Accents" are similar, they're still easily distinguished from one another. The most prominent 3 seem to be Rhode Island, Boston, New York/Brooklyn. Connecticut, Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire don't seem to have prominent accents.
Red Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:17 AM   #55
The Morg

I guess there are a couple different NY accents so some are more distinct than others. In fact, I had a discussion of this very topic with some of our fellow UPN New Yorkers at a restaurant once. The waitress walked up to our table just as someone said in a very firm tone, "the New York Jew." She kinda stood there awkwardly for a few moments before taking our order.

At least I can still get entertainment by asking non-New Englanders to say "Worcester". For challenge mode, try "Dorchester"!

Old 09-04-2013, 12:25 AM   #56
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
One of my teachers is from Manhattan, and I have to real listen closely to tell that her accent isn't like mine or anyone else in the South, but unless I'm actively thinking about it, I don't notice it. It's pretty neutral. If anything, that neutrality is why I notice it. I've heard Loki speak before, and I didn't get the impression he had a NY accent.

I'm trying to see if I can sound like a SoCal fellow. It should be possible given where I'm from! I'm interested because my sister got upset when I told her I've turned into a bit of a jock, lamenting that I'm no longer her "brother" but a "bro".

"He's a bro!" hahahahahahaha.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:36 AM   #57
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Morg View Post
I guess there are a couple different NY accents so some are more distinct than others. In fact, I had a discussion of this very topic with some of our fellow UPN New Yorkers at a restaurant once. The waitress walked up to our table just as someone said in a very firm tone, "the New York Jew." She kinda stood there awkwardly for a few moments before taking our order.

At least I can still get entertainment by asking non-New Englanders to say "Worcester". For challenge mode, try "Dorchester"!
On the topic of "Worcester", if it's like the sauce, then I'd hazard the guess that it's pronounced "Wousster" (same leading sound as in would) since I grew up in a household which always called the sauce "wousstu'shur sauce". That stated, I won't lie that I very likely wouldn't make the sauce connection under ordinary circumstances and so I'd be tempted to read it as "Warchester".

Likewise, then, does that mean that Dorchester is to be read as "Dousster"? Would never in a million years think to read it that way. Would definitely read it as "Doorchester" if it was sprung on me unawares.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:10 AM   #58
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Wuss-ter and Dor-ches-ter.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:41 AM   #59
Lil'twick
Insanity

Send a message via Skype™ to Lil'twick

So apparently I talk like someone from Boston. The furthest east I've ever lives was Fort Collins in Colorado :P. Ironic since I also sorta talk like someone from from the Sacramento valley, where I actually live :/. Califronia born, Colorado/California raised :p /thisiscompletelyunrelatedtopreviousdiscussionandon lydoingthistostallfor[REDACTED]

EDIT

Took the 140 Q version. Definitely a lot more accurate

I fill my lungs with everything
You want someone that I can't be
You say it's insanity, but
I say that's my life

Fizzy Bubbles

Last edited by Lil'twick; 09-04-2013 at 04:07 AM.
Lil'twick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:01 AM   #60
deh74
Noted homosexual

Maine and NH are kind of absorbed into the Boston accent grouping, pretty similar to the suburbs. Although the team accent drops off pretty quickly after you leave the city itself.

PASBL
The Whistling Sound of Impending Doom.

deh74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:56 PM   #61
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Unsurprisingly, one of my most-accurate areas is as close as you can get to where I live without going into Canada, and the other is trying really hard to smuggle itself into the West Indies.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:58 PM   #62
deoxys
Fog Badge

Wow Kind, them's fightin' words where I come from.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:59 PM   #63
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
lol

In fairness, that's what I tried at first but when a huge wall of code popped up I deleted it and just rehosted the image.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:02 PM   #64
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

>_>
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:33 PM   #65
Haymez
Decidedly Epic

Send a message via Skype™ to Haymez

Apparently I talk like the entire western United States.

Interestingly, my most similar city was Fort Collins, CO at 53.2%, and my least was Waterbury, CT at 45.4%. Not even a 10% difference.
Old 09-04-2013, 03:52 PM   #66
deoxys
Fog Badge

I'd say you and Blaze have the most odd charts out of everyone so far. Yours especially, you somehow manage to speak like the entire US...
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:56 PM   #67
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
I'd say you and Blaze have the most odd charts out of everyone so far. Yours especially, you somehow manage to speak like the entire US...
And I manage to speak one state. XFD

It makes sense to me though. Didn't take the 140 version, but I'll probably do that soon if it decides to work.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:21 PM   #68
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
I did it again because I accidentally skipped a question last time and also forgot to post my map. It made a noticeable difference.

There weren't those dark red spots in Eastern Missouri before, so this one makes more sense since I lived there for a while. California and Colorado still make no sense to me.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:19 PM   #69
The Morg

Okay, I'll admit: Dorchester was a trick question. Massachusetts has a lot of towns ending in "-cester" and "-chester", and the rule seems to be that "ce" doesn't get pronounced while "che" does.

However, I am familiar with at least six different pronunciations of Worcester that can be heard throughout the state. There are the four "correct" forms which consist of the permutations of the first syllable being either "wuss" or "wiss" and the second syllable being either "ter" or "tah". Then there's War-chester, said ironically, with the first syllable drawn out. Finally, war-chess-ter, used by people unfamiliar with the name.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc