UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 02-02-2013, 11:15 PM   #101
Balmund
'Munds of fun

Send a message via Skype™ to Balmund
Here's something I made in the spur of the moment, mostly because I was hungry and needed a quick fix for myself:

Spoiler: show

I basically seasoned some chicken breasts with salt, pepper, parmesan cheese and oregano, then seared in a pan with olive oil. I then deglazed with white wine and mixed it in with italian pesto. Reduced, and served. Took about 10 minutes to make, I forget.

::FB::WF::
Balmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:08 AM   #102
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

That's super pro. When I cook for myself I usually do Ramen + Egg.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:41 PM   #103
Balmund
'Munds of fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amras.MG View Post
That's super pro. When I cook for myself I usually do Ramen + Egg.
Thanks! I still don't consider myself as good as some of my friends out there, though having gone to culinary school I do at least have enough confidence to say that I can do some really good cookin'. Wish you all could taste it. :P

Also, Me and Ramen have a long and very special relationship. I think there was a time were I basically resorted to almost exclusively eating instant noodles all day long, for like a month. Never got tired of it.

In other news, here's some more home cooking:

Pasta Shells with a Creamy Truffle Sauce. Last time I made something like this was like, two years ago. I rarely get the chance to cook with them truffles. The sauce is basically a Bechamel base enhanced with sautéed onions, nutmeg, black pepper, truffle paste, & reduced white wine. Topped with parmesan cheese and parsley at the end.

Last edited by Balmund; 02-04-2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:06 PM   #104
kusari
「Killer Queen No Prog」

Send a message via Skype™ to kusari
Kusari returns to the Cookery with yet another of his tasty, but probably health destroying, meals.

Chicken fettuccine alfredo, something I've never attempted to cook up before. However, the reactions of the people it fed tell me I did great for a first try. Might edit the recipe I used into this post later if anyone is interested.
kusari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:17 PM   #105
Mercutio
Banned

You guys keep saying words that I don't know the meaning of. Does that make me uncultured?
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:48 PM   #106
Balmund
'Munds of fun

Looks good, Kusari (except that's Farfalle rather then Fettuccine :P). I'd like to know how you did the sauce. Myself, I always start with a bechamel, which is a mother sauce for most other creamy, white sauces. I know many skip the flour entirely in favor of just mixing butter and heavy cream, which may result in a thinner sauce (which is just as equally likely to clog up your veins, but whatever). I just find the butter incorporates better into the sauce when starting off with a roux.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
You guys keep saying words that I don't know the meaning of. Does that make me uncultured?
I hardly know half the things I'm saying myself! :V

Last edited by Balmund; 02-04-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:12 PM   #107
kusari
「Killer Queen No Prog」

>Sauce

1 cup butter
3/4 pint heavy cream
salt and pepper (gotta have a bit of taste)
1 dash garlic salt
3/4 cup grated Romano cheese
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Got it from a book of pasta recipes I picked up last week. Really the only way I could make sauce since I've never done it before in my life. Chicken was just pan cooked in olive oil and cut into chunks, thrown in and mixed around. It was around a pound of chicken (I believe).

Fed four of us guys so I'd venture to guess that if anyone tries it they should either have a few people to eat it or scale things down.
kusari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:44 PM   #108
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
Today, Markus and I made a bit of a brunch. I made stuffed baked potatoes, topped with sour cream, and he made a quiche (although I cooked the meat and chopped stuff for it). I also made martini-like drinks with vodka and peach pop. It turned out really good.

So good I had a cigarette after.
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.

Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:45 PM   #109
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I was surprised to see a block of vacuum-sealed mozzarella cheese on sale the other day at the grocery store (was like $2.99 for 16 ounces) so I bought it on a bit of an impulse and a desire to shake things up a bit since I always eat extra sharp cheddar when it comes to cheese. But now, before I open it up, I find myself wondering: what am I to do with it?

I can tell you what I don't want to do:
  • place it atop oven-baked or pan-fried chicken breasts
  • use it to make any kind of Italian pasta dish (e.g. lasagna)
  • make anything deserving of a cooking gameshow (i.e. nothing too fancy, too difficult, or with more than 90 minutes cooking time required for Joe Average to prepare properly)
  • make quesadillas with it (or anything else involving tortillas)
But that leaves me at a bit of an impasse since the only other things that come to mind are things that I think would make Mozz faint if he saw me treating mozzarella this way. Things like ...
  • making cheese and crackers but with the mozzarella instead of the cheddar
  • making a cheese and toast sandwich, likewise with mozzarella instead of cheddar
I mean, I don't even imagine these would taste very good. So yeah. Here's what I guess I am wondering then. Can someone recommend a good use for mozzarella, based on personal experience (whether as the chef or as the person who ate the meal), that doesn't involve marinara, pasta sauce, or tortillas? I tried googling but all I kept getting was bullshit appetizer suggestions (like hugeass cubes of the mozzarella with sun-dried tomato slivers on top, no thank you >_>) or fairly typical "lol chicken parmesan except with mozzarella ", "lol lasagna " or "lol quesadillas " suggestions.

I'm considering using it with burgers, though I don't really have the motivation right now to make burgers. But if you have even better suggestions, I'd like to hear them.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:35 PM   #110
Balmund
'Munds of fun

Grilled-Cheese sandwiches come to mind. Mozzarella+Sliced Tomatos+Pesto, all on a bun = Awesome Sandwich. I love doing those, especially when I want something quick. In fact, screw the bread, and just layer cheese over sliced tomatos, season with salt and sprinkle with olive oil to make the most out of that creamy, white cheese.

Using them on a burger with Mushrooms, Onions and Mayonnaise wouldn't be bad either, Though it usually takes me about an hour to cook the onions until they're perfectly caramelized.

You can try doing Mozzarella Sticks by breading, then deep frying your cheese if you just have a craving for pure cheese goodness.

Though I know quesadillas are way too much of a given, if you can get yourself a can of Huitlacoche (Corn Smut), you can prepare yourself a bunch of really fancy ones, true Mexican style (even though Mexicans in general vastly prefer using Manchego Cheese instead, for some reason, but whatever). Squash Blossoms can really kick your quesadillas up a notch too. Not sure if they sell either at your nearest grocery store, but worth recommending anyways.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:17 PM   #111
Mercutio
Banned

I am recommending the burger option. You could make your own patties, therefore allowing you to try out all kinds of great flavours and textures. Alternatively, just make your own cheese burgers and try awesome additions. My personally favourite is combination fried egg and cooked, sliced, tomato.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:10 PM   #112
Char
Banned

Can anyone find me a recipe for Chaliapin steak? I can't find one
Old 02-20-2013, 04:45 AM   #113
Slash
Silver LO

Chicken soup is yummy, especially when sick. We cut up three marinated chicken breasts, two green onion stalks, about a quarter of a white onion, about half a red bell pepper, a quarter of a yellow one, and a celery stalk into a slow cooker with some garlic and some water, as well as some other spices and some egg noodles. It turned put nice, although I wish we had chicken broth to use instead of water.

As Backpack says: Yum-yum-yum-yum-yum-yum-yum, delicioso!
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:51 PM   #114
Mercutio
Banned

So I got an online shop in today and they replaced one of my items (damn it, Dave!). They replaced my awesome pork sausages with some other sausages.

I did not notice this, and when I cooked them just now, I did my usual trick of lots of apple juice and a little butter.

The sausages were beef sausages.

It... it did not turn out well.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #115
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Are you sure they weren't horse sausages?

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:30 PM   #116
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
THAT'S PAYBACK FOR YOUR DAMN POLITICS SIGNS EVERYWHERE

Also did the dude not go through that with you at the door? Please tell me they weren't from Sainsbury's.

Then again if I had to deliver where you live I'd go mad because of ALL OF THE CARS.

Fizzy Bubbles - Cable Club Post - Wild Future

Various awesome artstuffs by DaisyInari

DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:36 PM   #117
Mercutio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
Are you sure they weren't horse sausages?
Rest assured that this joke was made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
THAT'S PAYBACK FOR YOUR DAMN POLITICS SIGNS EVERYWHERE

Also did the dude not go through that with you at the door? Please tell me they weren't from Sainsbury's.

Then again if I had to deliver where you live I'd go mad because of ALL OF THE CARS.
My actual bad.

Yeah no he did and it's on the sheet which I looked at but I did not notice this. And no, Tescos.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:20 PM   #118
Mercutio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangeetsuper View Post
Hey Kush do you have any good recipes for making a crepe at home and how to cook bananas so that it'll go well with Nutella?

I had banana crepe with Nutella at a restaurant once. Words cannot describe. They simply can't.
I made a cookery thread for a reason boyo!

The answer is no, because I haven't made pancakes in like five years. My personal favourite is simply nutella across entirety of crepe, banana in the middle, then toll it up like a mother bitch. No additional preparation. However, if you want to do something with them, I would bake them. Have your oven at 200*c (400*f) and do them in thick slices for maybe ten minutes (longer to make them softer). Put them on the crepe. I've also had them with honey; really nice and not (that) bad for you. Nutella would work just as well.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:51 AM   #119
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
I also kind of need a good crepe recipe in general if you could? :x
Old 03-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #120
Mercutio
Banned

Haven't made them in years. Try this.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #121
kusari
「Killer Queen No Prog」

I come bearing another arterie clogging Kusari creation.

French bread pizza ya'll.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:28 PM   #122
Slash
Silver LO

At the Whole Foods on Sunday, a gal I ran into mentioned vegetarian shepherd's pie. My interest was piqued, and she gave me a basic idea about it. Well, tonight, I made my own little variation of a vegetarian shepherd's pie.

Sadly, unlike Stephen Stills' one, this is only vegetarian, not vegan, so no psychic powers here. But it's still pretty damn good.

Ingredients:
A can of corn
A can of peas
A can of tomatoes (preferably diced, so you don't have to try to cut them up)
~ 2/3 cup of dried lentils
About a tube/package of fake meat stuff
~ 7-8 potatoes
just a couple olives
select sauces for seasoning (liquid aminos, soy sauce, red wine, choice of vinegar. Really, whatever you like)
A couple spoons of chopped garlic
Enough butter to make the mashed potatoes as creamy as you like, plus another half to 3/4 stick for the lentils
A splash of milk
Olive oil
about half a cup of water

Three separate placings on the stove: one for potatoes, one for lentils, and one for the fake meat stuff.

Make the potatoes as mashed potatoes. Skin-on is best. While they're all cut up and set to boil, set up stovetop placing #2

Put the half to 3/4 stick of butter you're not using for potatoes into a small-to-medium frying pan. Let it all get all nice and melty, before putting in the lentils. Let the lentils absorb the butter as you stir it, like a saute. Keep a close eye on it, and let them cook all nice. When it's absorbed most of the butter, it will probably be kinda foamy, which is your cue to pour some of the half cup of water in and mix it in, as well as whatever liquids you want to mix in (recommended: soy sauce, red wine vinegar, liquid aminos). Mix in some garlic as well, and let it absorb the liquid. After it's mostly absorbed, add in more of the water and stir some more. Repeat that until your half cup or so is used up. Maybe make it 2/3 of a cup.

During the few small downtimes there, you can start stovetop number three: the fake meat stuff. Olive oil in a large pan, enough that the decidedly lean veggie protein won't stick to the pan in an instant and ruin both your meal and the pan. Non-stick surfaces may help. Brown it like ground beef or lamb, adding in your sauces of choice (recommended: liquid animos, red wine, red wine vinegar). mix in salt and the rest of the garlic. You'll probably have to use the spatula to chop it up because it doesn't quite crumble like real meat.

When all's cooked, open the cans of veggies and strain them in a colander, mixed together. If you want, chop about 2-3 olives and mix them in, too. It's not a bad addition. Finish preparing the mashed potatoes. Layer like so in a casserole dish:

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPP
VVVVVVVVVVVVV
MMMMMMMMMM
LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes, and serve.

Markus couldn't tell the difference, and he's a real meat-eater, so I must have done something right.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:26 AM   #123
Mercutio
Banned

Take your lies and get out.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:58 PM   #124
Slash
Silver LO

I don't understand.
Old 04-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #125
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
I get the feeling that Kush is... not fond of fake meat.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc