UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 12-13-2012, 11:18 PM   #76
Talon87
時の彼方へ

frozen beef tongue + one and a half onions + half tsp of salt + half tsp of pepper + pressure cooker + appropriate volume of water + 2 and a half hours

=

amazingly rich, tender meat that easily serves four + tasty onion soup made from beef stock

Difficulty level: easy (It really doesn't get much easier than this. All you need is the equipment, to fill the water level to a safe level so you don't friggin' burn the food, the ingredients, an oven, and time to allow it to cook. That's it.)

Taste level: mid to mid-high It's quite nice. May not be to everyone's liking and it's a plain enough meal (in a sense) that it doesn't obviously compete with the world's greatest pizza or the world's greatest Chinese dinner or something, but like, it's pretty darn good. Very, very rich meat.

Forgot to take pictures. Maybe tomorrow I'll photograph the bowl I have in the fridge right now. *shrug*
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:52 AM   #77
Balmund
'Munds of fun

Send a message via Skype™ to Balmund
Gotta say, beef tongue is awesome. Maybe because I've had too many Tacos de Barbacoa, but regardless, I've always found it to be super tender, melts-in.your-mouth, meat, and it's hard to find an excuse for not liking that. The only cut that I find is arguably as rich and tender is beef cheek, but I prefer the flavor profile from the tongue whereas my mother favors the other.

After pressure cooking, serving the tongue on some corn tortillas and topping with raw onions, coriander leaves, pork cracklings, lemon juice and hot salsa will make for some of the most delicious tacos ever. Man, Talon, now I'm in the mood for some beef tongue. Brb, making a quick trip to the super market. :P
Balmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:37 AM   #78
Mercutio
Banned

Holy shit, Balmund, you're still about? Hey!

Also throwing my weight behind the "mmmm tongue" float.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 03:10 PM   #79
Balmund
'Munds of fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
Holy shit, Balmund, you're still about? Hey!

Also throwing my weight behind the "mmmm tongue" float.
Still about man! Been mostly lurking around Fizzy Bubbles almost exclusively though. I should probably give pasbl a go sometime.

To make this post relevant to the thread, guys, I have leftover french fries on my fridge and I'm thinking of something creative to do with them. Any ideas?
Old 12-15-2012, 04:36 PM   #80
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balmund View Post
To make this post relevant to the thread, guys, I have leftover french fries on my fridge and I'm thinking of something creative to do with them. Any ideas?
Leftover french fries are some of the worst leftover food items in my experience, but if it were me, I'd probably either ...

1) put them in the microwave out of laziness or
2) put them on a baking tray and bake them in the oven

... and then, once heated, I'd put some shredded cheese and sour cream over them.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:39 PM   #81
Balmund
'Munds of fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Leftover french fries are some of the worst leftover food items in my experience, but if it were me, I'd probably either ...

1) put them in the microwave out of laziness or
2) put them on a baking tray and bake them in the oven

... and then, once heated, I'd put some shredded cheese and sour cream over them.
Agreed on french fries being pretty bad coming out of the fridge.

I tend to avoid microwaving anything if I can help it, even if I'm overcome with laziness (at which point I'd probably serve myself a bowl of cereal instead). I don't know, I feel like it drastically changes the flavor and texture of something versus simply reheating in the stove. I can usually tell when something's been microwaved or not. Baking them in the oven before adding cheese, sour cream, and maybe some chili might do the trick.

Since I'm probably going to use the oven whatever I choose to do with them, I'm also thinking of doing a Spanish Omelette instead. Thinking about dicing the fries before frying them with onions, then adding the eggs and then into the oven until its done. I'll see how it goes; it depends on how much effort I'm willing to invest into rescuing leftover fries. Better than throwing them away, for sure.

::FB::WF::
Old 12-15-2012, 07:51 PM   #82
Mercutio
Banned

Oh god no, leftover chips? Ew.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:36 PM   #83
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Send a message via MSN to Rangeet Send a message via Skype™ to Rangeet
Leftover chips can end up being crunchy as hell though.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:27 PM   #84
Balmund
'Munds of fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
Oh god no, leftover chips? Ew.
I know. It's literally like chewing on cardboard. That said, I went for the omelette approach and threw in some roasted red bell peppers as well. Forgot to take a pic, but it turned out surprisingly good. O.o

For the record, I used large leftover chips instead of the usual thin fries you would get at fast food chains and other restaurants, so that helped a lot.

::FB::WF::
Old 12-16-2012, 02:18 PM   #85
Mercutio
Banned

The one exception is McDonalds fries, which can be acceptable. But are almost universally not.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:30 AM   #86
tau
Cascade Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to tau
Tau's Late Night Snackchops

Thawed, coated in a mixture of flour, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper powder and some oregano 'cause why not.

Pan fried at medium-high heat in olive oil and a half tablespoon of butter.

Spoiler: show

Spoiler Warning: Pic is large.

Edit: Also! I cooked them for different lengths, just to experiment a bit. I seem to be in the minority on this, but I prefer a bit of char, so the ones I cooked longer ended up tasting a bit better. At least, to me.

Last edited by tau; 12-26-2012 at 02:35 AM.
tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:29 AM   #87
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Apologies but is that chicken or?
Old 12-26-2012, 03:36 AM   #88
tau
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangeetsuper View Post
Apologies but is that chicken or?
Pork, actually.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:11 AM   #89
Rangeet
Foot, meet mouth.

Ah, thanks. Couldn't recognize it.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:07 AM   #90
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
Mmm, Negra Modela.
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.

Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:24 AM   #91
tau
Cascade Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairne View Post
Mmm, Negra Modela.
I almost documented the fully supply of liquor and beer on hand, but that's not strictly 'food' x3

I have never in my life had a wider selection of adult beverages, I'm looooving it.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:07 PM   #92
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Just made Fried Wonton Dumplings from Scratch.

I used this recipe and added a little bit of soy sauce to the dough. I'd recommend omitting about a quarter teaspoon of the salt if you do; mine turned out a little salty.

The filling was just Ground turkey with sesame oil and lemon ponzu browned with onions. It was decent but could definitely be improved!
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:06 AM   #93
Kat Katraine
Pokemon Trainer

Send a message via AIM to Kat Katraine
Eggs Togepi (Scrambled Eggs)

First melt some butter in a frying pan. Take five eggs, pour into a bowl & mix. Pour mixed eggs in hot frying pan, add milk & stir in pan till cooked. Place scrambled eggs on plate adding sprinkles of red & blue food dye for Togepi effect! Bon Appetit!!
Kat Katraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:59 PM   #94
Mercutio
Banned

Shop bought cherry pie.

Jam glaze.

180c for 50 minutes.

Serve with nutella.

That's all.
Old 01-25-2013, 06:08 PM   #95
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
Made some pizza from scratch - bread, tomato sauce, the works. BBQ Chicken, Pepperoni, Green pepper and Red onion on mine, Hawaiian for my parents.

Inadvertently made a bit too much, but now I know for next time. It was surprisingly easy. Can post up a recipe if anyone feels like giving it a crack.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:07 AM   #96
Mercutio
Banned

> Pizza

Hawaiian? Good shout.

So, I've two 'recipes' for you all. I slap those inverted commas in there because a) these are not even slightly difficult to do and thus barely qualify and b) I don't measure how much of things I put in things so there's a little guestimating in here. Both serve two, the latter can be saved for further meals to a point.

First, I made a sexy chicken stir fry. All that's required is a wok, a good knife and a stirring implement.

Three chicken breast fillets, diced in to three/four pieces. One red and one green pepper, finely diced. 'Some' peas... maybe like two mugs worth? I dunno. Some reggae-reggae sauce (yes, lazy, I know). Two chicken stock cubes. 'Some' orange/mango smoothie... like, half a tumbler? A very small amount of butter.

Basically, pre heat the wok nice and hot (medium flame on the gas hob I was using) with a little butter and a little of the sauce then do the chicken. It just needs to be not-pink right the way around the outside, as it'll cook during the process. Whack in the stock and a bit more sauce and start stirring, making sure to get it all covered. The sauce is used to stop things sticking to the wok so keep it going in as needed. Once the chicken is looking a bit more cooked, whack in the peppers. At this point, toss in the smoothie (which I did in a blender but an innocent smoothie would do the trick) and keep stirring. Just before the chicken is done to your taste (and, y'know, not pink), whack in the peas. I was using petit pois, which take about three nanoseconds to cook through, which is nice. This whole process took like 15-20 minutes. Served with many slices of bread and butter because I'm a country bastard.

It tasted pretty good. I'm a sucker for fruit flavouring with chicken but maybe not to everyone's taste. Obviously, stir fries are incredibly easy to make, but it's nice and healthy (especially if you don't use butter). Also the peas were a last minute thing and could probably be replaced with something else. Good thing about them is that they soak up flavour like a sponge.

Next up, a manly steak and ale stew, currently sitting in my oven and smelling good. Required is a good casserole dish, a good chopping knife, a big ol' carving knife if said knife is not good enough to cut through your steak (like mine >.< ), a stirring implement, a bowl for washing and a veg peeler.

Two nice braising steaks, chopped in to fairly large chunks. About ten new potatoes, chopped where they were a bit big. Two carrots, peeled and chopped in to fairly chunky slices. One can of chopped tomatoes. A little butter. Two beef stock cubes. A little black pepper. One pint of Jack Frost ale, sourced from my local pub; I originally went in for a bottle of red, but the chef was sitting there and told me to 'stop being a dick' and use ale.

Pre heat oven to around 180 Celsius. I say this because my oven is fan assisted and I'm therefore setting it a little lower. Whack potatoes, carrots and beef in dish, having first washed them nicely. I didn't trim the fat because I really like the fat, but my brother will bitch at me for this I imagine so maybe next time I will. Put in your tinned toms and your ale. Put in seasoning. Put in butter. Stir like a motherbitch until it's all swilling around nicely whilst it's on a gas heat fairly high. It should end up simmering, and this process shouldn't take any more than ten minutes. Tin foil that mother closed and put it in the oven. An hour and a half later, turn it around, maybe quick stirring it to ensure even cooking. Another hour and a half later, check that the veg is soft and that the beef is cooked. If not, leave in for a bit (this is in the future so I dunno) and if not, serve.

Last I did this, did it with about a third of a bottle of red wine and it was great. As with all slow cooked stuff, the flavours all mix together and it's awesome. Never done it with ale before but we'll see what happens. I don't pre-brown the meat, but if you're worried about it you can do. Again, I'm gonna serve it with bread and butter, because I really like that shit.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:12 PM   #97
Mercutio
Banned

It tastes great!
Old 02-02-2013, 10:32 AM   #98
kusari
「Killer Queen No Prog」

Send a message via Skype™ to kusari
So, Kusari made French Toast and it was pretty damn good in his opinion. He took a picture so you can all bask in the Type 2 diabetic goodness.

Spoiler: show
kusari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:53 AM   #99
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

Damn Kusari that looks good... but also like it'd kill you.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:15 AM   #100
kusari
「Killer Queen No Prog」

Send a message via Skype™ to kusari
Yeah, I convinced it is killing me. I've had this feeling that I can only describe as "uuuugh" since ten-ish minutes after I finished eating it. Not sure if it's heartburn, indigestion or my stomach digesting itself but should it kill me at least my last meal was a good one.
kusari is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc