Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Time Out
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 10:47 AM   #15426
MarbleZone
Soul Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisap112 View Post
I think I saw a parody of that somewhere: about how ridiculous it is that you can teach Fly to a Pidgey but not to a Charizard.
I think that was a CollegeHumor skit, at least that image is vaguely familiar to me as well...

Balmund's reply is what every updatee in my situation wants to hear. :P but I do agree with it, as long as it's not completely ridiculous (like a Pidgey...) I think there should be some leniency as to what's "realistic" or not. As long as a Swanna isn't able to fly as fast or as long as an Aerodactyl while carrying a human, I think "suspension of disbelief" (which Vince Russo forced me to embrace :P) is a good way to go.

Last edited by MarbleZone; 09-28-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:48 AM   #15427
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarbleZone View Post
You ever had that feeling of "I wonder if my Pokemon could do that on FB?", like Flying on a Pidgeotto or Surfing on a Seaking?

I've been wondering the same about an eventual Swanna. Its size looks enough to allow Surfing on it, but what's your take on using it to Fly? I think it might really be a bit of a stretch, but while Swellow would be decisively out of the question (at 0,5m or whatever its size is), Swanna at 1.3m and able to whip up Hurricanes makes me wonder what an updater's opinion would be. Thoughts?

On the other hand, I just realized yesterday that Garchomp can Surf (well, it is a shark and it does have fins, but I was still caught by surprise :P), so if bad comes to worst I'll be using it to move on water. :P
I think the anime writers get this aspect of the franchise right usually. You never see somebody trying to fly on the back of or by grabbing hold of the feet of a Swellow or a Fearow or some such so you can pretty much rule those out. Pidgeot is confirmed (at least for children) and larger, stronger fare like Charizard or Dragonite look like they could handle the extra weight of a full-grown human over short enough distances with sufficient endurance training. (Certainly you could get on their back and fly from Tree A to Mountaintop B or something as that's been shown; but flying the distance from Cinnabar to Cerulean, I dunno ...)
Old 09-28-2012, 10:53 AM   #15428
OkikuMew
Droppin' CDs and beats

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggggg5 View Post
I can hold it for later if you want. I still have an empty slot. Andi can take things other than candies
Thanks but no thanks, anyhow I have a feeling I'll have a water-type overload, and I want to save up all my slots for other Pokemon I would like to have

Art || FB || WF || Tumblr
Old 09-28-2012, 11:04 AM   #15429
Balmund
'Munds of fun

Send a message via Skype™ to Balmund
My Aerodactyl is currently carrying the full weight of not one, but two fully grown men on his back. He's that badass.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:06 AM   #15430
biggggg5
Volcano Badge

Fair nough. Anyone else want stunfisk?

Old 09-28-2012, 11:45 AM   #15431
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balmund View Post
My Aerodactyl is currently carrying the full weight of not one, but two fully grown men on his back. He's that badass.
Pro:
Logistically Aerodactyl has to be given a free pass simply because we are told that he is part Rock-type and when you look at him it''s not like he's a regular reptile who happens to have skin peppered with pebbles or sharp gemstones sticking out -- nothing about him looks especially rocky -- so you're left to assume that his very make-up is rock. He's a walking, talking granite saurian. So you would figure "If a creature made up of solid rock can get airborne, then surely the addition of one or two humans shouldn't matter much."

Con:
But then you take a closer look at his weight. And you realize, "Oh. I see. He only weighs 130 pounds." This "solid-rock" dinosaur ain't so solid after all: if he is made up of nothing but rock, it's gotta be incredibly porous. So much so that he actually weighs less than most high school boys. So you take this guy and ask him to carry not one but two people who each weigh more than he does and ... yeah. ^^; Doesn't seem very likely. Again, maybe for short distances and with sufficient endurance training, but I can't really see him having two grown men on his back as he flies across, say, the English Channel. That just seems like too far a distance for a flying creature to carry its own body weight three times over in total.

Pro:
But then you remember that this is Pokémon and SCREW THE RULES! I HAVE CANDIES!
Old 09-28-2012, 11:53 AM   #15432
Meetan
Soul Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Pro:
Logistically Aerodactyl has to be given a free pass simply because we are told that he is part Rock-type and when you look at him it''s not like he's a regular reptile who happens to have skin peppered with pebbles or sharp gemstones sticking out -- nothing about him looks especially rocky -- so you're left to assume that his very make-up is rock. He's a walking, talking granite saurian. So you would figure "If a creature made up of solid rock can get airborne, then surely the addition of one or two humans shouldn't matter much."

Con:
But then you take a closer look at his weight. And you realize, "Oh. I see. He only weighs 130 pounds." This "solid-rock" dinosaur ain't so solid after all: if he is made up of nothing but rock, it's gotta be incredibly porous. So much so that he actually weighs less than most high school boys. So you take this guy and ask him to carry not one but two people who each weigh more than he does and ... yeah. ^^; Doesn't seem very likely. Again, maybe for short distances and with sufficient endurance training, but I can't really see him having two grown men on his back as he flies across, say, the English Channel. That just seems like too far a distance for a flying creature to carry its own body weight three times over in total.

Pro:
But then you remember that this is Pokémon and SCREW THE RULES! I HAVE CANDIES!
I just have this image/prediction in the FFA adventure you're doing for me of Alice going so desperate and insane that she just holds up Torchic like FLY. FLY ME OUT OF THIS LABYRINTH. NOW. FLYYYY.

And Torchic just like o___o;; ;~~~; what do you want from meeee.

Also, it's weird to think of Swellow and Aerodactyl as light/small as they are. They seem bigger/stronger to me.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:00 PM   #15433
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Spoiler: when designing your adventure I noted you had no one who could fly. I also accounted for what what would happen to any Pokemon you may encounter who attempt to either (a) fly out of the maze or (b) go up onto the top of the labyrinth walls. (In fact, I wondered if you were going to try that but you never did. ^^; Thought you might try and have somebody use a move to get themselves or a teammate up there and then whoever's up there uses a move like Vine Whip to pull you up there too.) Suffice to say, I have thought of those things and would say "Don't try it " unless you just want to see what would happen if you do.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:01 PM   #15434
Balmund
'Munds of fun

Send a message via Skype™ to Balmund
I tend for the most part to ignore some of the ridiculous weight/size ratios for some Pokémon. *points finger at Wailmer/lord* Seriously, that thing is supposedly as dense as air. O.o

::FB::WF::
Old 09-28-2012, 12:01 PM   #15435
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balmund View Post
I tend for the most part to ignore some of the ridiculous weight/size ratios for some Pokémon. *points finger at Wailmer/lord* Seriously, that thing is supposedly as dense as air. O.o
Well that's one way to be buoyant. *shot*
Old 09-28-2012, 12:05 PM   #15436
MarbleZone
Soul Badge

Fly shouldn't be used as a "screw thinking, I'm taking the easy way out" tool. If it was, then what to say of Teleport? If an updatee is using a Flying Pokemon to blatantly circumvent solving a problem, I say have it break its wings on the next update. -.-

As fot the weight/height argument and being realistic, as much as we try to work around it, it always fails to be accurate in the core mechanics the way I see it. Aerodactyl may be lighter than a human, but learns Sky Drop naturally, implying it can carry a crap-load of weight. Same for Braviary, who I seem to recall as being smaller than Aerodactyl (but can't really remember and don't feel like checking). Similarly, a Pokemon strong enough to create Hurricanes (or Windstorms in the Jap version) certainly has more muscles in its wings than merely looking at its build could indicate. So, like I said before, over-analyzing Pokemon and what's "realistic" or not only works so far, and even then it will indeed frequently boil down to "screw the rules, this IS Pokemon", that's the whole point.

Still, no excuse for Flying on a Pidgey but not a Scyther, that's retarded. -.-

Last edited by MarbleZone; 09-28-2012 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:05 PM   #15437
Meetan
Soul Badge

Quote:
Spoiler: when designing your adventure I noted you had no one who could fly. I also accounted for what what would happen to any Pokemon you may encounter who attempt to either (a) fly out of the maze or (b) go up onto the top of the labyrinth walls. (In fact, I wondered if you were going to try that but you never did. ^^; Thought you might try and have somebody use a move to get themselves or a teammate up there and then whoever's up there uses a move like Vine Whip to pull you up there too.) Suffice to say, I have thought of those things and would say "Don't try it " unless you just want to see what would happen if you do.
I have contemplated the labyrinth wall scaling scenario. xDD If my character feels that it's something she wants to do, ofc she'll do it. But as a role player, I know that'd be a bad thing to try for my own sake. All I can think of is 'THE MONSTER. IT WILL SEE ME ATOP A WALL!'

Also, I has character sprites on my profile now. They lack glasses, though. I can't seem to do them right. T^T
Old 09-28-2012, 12:14 PM   #15438
SoS
Ducks gonna duck

Quote:
I think I saw a parody of that somewhere: about how ridiculous it is that you can teach Fly to a Pidgey but not to a Charizard. And I kind of agree with that. But that might be more about "all evolutions learn the same HMs" than whether the Pokémon has the means to fly. u.u
... Charizard CAN learn Fly... I think that was a Smosh skit actually. Yeah, used to watch that...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son_of_Shadows View Post
Because I look damn good in a dress.
Fizzy Bubbles Team
PASBL
Wild Future
Old 09-28-2012, 12:19 PM   #15439
Talon87
時の彼方へ

The confusion arises from the fact that in Red and Blue Charizard could not learn Fly. Yellow was the first game where he could.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:25 PM   #15440
OkikuMew
Droppin' CDs and beats

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarbleZone View Post
Fly shouldn't be used as a "screw thinking, I'm taking the easy way out" tool. If it was, then what to say of Teleport? If an updatee is using a Flying Pokemon to blatantly circumvent solving a problem, I say have it break its wings on the next update. -.-
So far I only used fly as an attack and to fetch some guy drowning/panicking in a lake, so I'm good ^^ Since it's Rawk (a Starly) the flying type of the team, he kinda struggled with that last job :P

Rawk: *gives me a "no I did not!" look*

Art || FB || WF || Tumblr
Old 09-28-2012, 12:41 PM   #15441
Gemini Spark
Weavile Pillow

Send a message via Skype™ to Gemini Spark
Quote:
I think the anime writers get this aspect of the franchise right usually. You never see somebody trying to fly on the back of or by grabbing hold of the feet of a Swellow or a Fearow or some such so you can pretty much rule those out. Pidgeot is confirmed (at least for children) and larger, stronger fare like Charizard or Dragonite look like they could handle the extra weight of a full-grown human over short enough distances with sufficient endurance training. (Certainly you could get on their back and fly from Tree A to Mountaintop B or something as that's been shown; but flying the distance from Cinnabar to Cerulean, I dunno ...)
Don't forget how a Skarmory can carry someone all over the place, either with its talons or by having someone ride on them. Winona's in particular is HUGE. XD

Battlecut made by the crazy Daisy! *happy snek sounds*
Twitch | YouTube | Twitter | Wild Future
Old 09-28-2012, 12:50 PM   #15442
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini Spark View Post
Don't forget how a Skarmory can carry someone all over the place, either with its talons or by having someone ride on them. Winona's in particular is HUGE. XD
*looks it up*

... okay, that's pretty stupid. ^^; -10 points from the anime for that one.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:55 PM   #15443
Gemini Spark
Weavile Pillow

Send a message via Skype™ to Gemini Spark
But I like that Skarmory can get that big... it's something Icarus can work towards!

Battlecut made by the crazy Daisy! *happy snek sounds*
Twitch | YouTube | Twitter | Wild Future
Old 09-28-2012, 01:29 PM   #15444
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meetan View Post
I just have this image/prediction in the FFA adventure you're doing for me of Alice going so desperate and insane that she just holds up Torchic like FLY. FLY ME OUT OF THIS LABYRINTH. NOW. FLYYYY.

And Torchic just like o___o;; ;~~~; what do you want from meeee.

Also, it's weird to think of Swellow and Aerodactyl as light/small as they are. They seem bigger/stronger to me.
FLY AWAY NAO. FLY AWAYYYYY~

BORKED
Old 09-28-2012, 01:43 PM   #15445
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Lilblue, I have only heard of that anime before.
And nothing that I imagined it to be could have prepared me for that strip-tease performance.

*finds way to watch the whole show*
Old 09-28-2012, 01:46 PM   #15446
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Quote:
Lilblue, I have only heard of that anime before.
And nothing that I imagined it to be could have prepared me for that strip-tease performance.

*finds way to watch the whole show*
Kuno, Hon, and I have been thinking about watching/streaming the show again sometime. Feel free to come join us. \o/

P.S. The majority of the show doesn't look like that btw. XP
Old 09-28-2012, 01:48 PM   #15447
MarbleZone
Soul Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbluecorsola View Post

And just like that you lost me. :P
Old 09-28-2012, 01:48 PM   #15448
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:

Kuno, Hon, and I have been thinking about watching/streaming the show again sometime. Feel free to come join us. \o/

Found some. And just when I ran out of Hellsing Ultimate!

Laundry machine's running smoothly, I have mint ice-cream and chocolate cookies and updates to write. x.x Sugar rush, here I come~!
Old 09-28-2012, 01:49 PM   #15449
DaisyInari
Sarasaland represent!

Send a message via MSN to DaisyInari
Altaria

Quote:

FLY AWAY NAO. FLY AWAYYYYY~
Oh good, I thought I was gonna have to be the one to make this reference xfd

Just further proof we're the same person \o/

Hi, I'm Daisy!

Spoiler: show
W(DQ)- 22(3) L(DQ)-14(0)
KO-55
TP-131 SP- 64.5/96.5 (5SP to Deh, 5SP to FW, 5SP to Desert Spirit, 8.5SP to Fallen Icarus, 10SP to Kyro12, 8SP to Charminions, 10 to aposteriori)
SHUCKS I GOTTA FIX THIS SOMETIME
~TL3~

~Fizzy Bubbles~

Credits to Charm for making this!

Come, my birdies!!!! Mwahahahaha!!!!!!

Thanks Pingu for being so nice and making me this~

Credit to TheKnightsFury for the sprite!

Fear my abnormally large signature~

Be Positive Ref~ I <3 you, Lonely Cubone and those who eval'd me~
Old 09-28-2012, 01:51 PM   #15450
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyInari View Post
Just further proof we're the same person \o/
Shouldn't the sig say "I'm lilblue~!" then?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > Independent Forums > Fizzy Bubbles > FB Time Out