UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > UPN News

Old 09-06-2016, 12:10 PM   #1201
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
Am I the only one getting serious evil team vibes from Type: Null? Like, the site mentions that it's strong enough to rival 'Pokemon spoken of in mythology', which to me reads that this was designed to fight and probably defeat legendaries.

Ultra Beasts sound like a really crappy sort-of Mythical Pokemon.

Alolacate needs to die in a fire.

The weird dragon-thing is what I'd hedge my bets on to be the early form of the pseudo-legendary.

Poke Finder looks eh.

Aether Foundation sound like they're going to be the anti-Team Skull. Maybe you can choose to either help Team Skull or the Aether Foundati-wait lol nope this is Gamefreak. but yeah, the Aether Foundation sound super shifty, I wouldn't be surprised if they were secretly up to something. Maybe they run Team Skull to ensure that there's attention on them as being good guys to detract from whatever villainy they're up to? idk, but they're definitely not good guys. Anything posing as a benevolent recovery shelter but that also runs research projects? They're going to be as evil as Baddy McVillain.

Sycamore's minions are up in Alola researching Zygarde. Not only does this confirm Zygarde as being a region-wide fetch quest for all the Zygarde Cells, but it also makes these dumb crackshites into the new Looker. Guess this probably means we don't get ruined Kalos for the postgame. (For reference, my personal headcanon on 'how Zygarde is in this' was that Zygarde destroyed Kalos, and the postgame had you go over there and deal with it, and upon defeat it split into cells to be collected so you could have the Zygarde-Complete all to yourself).
Old 09-06-2016, 12:38 PM   #1202
Ex-Admiral Insane
Marsh Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Ex-Admiral Insane
>Zygarde
Oh I actually quite like the idea of the rumour that wad going around. Alola is the 'other' region that was mentioned in Kalos which had a war with it. (Who knows, maybe Alola used to be one large land before the giant weapon destroyed and sunk most parts, splitting it into islands.) Then Zygarde split itself to protect both lands from further destruction. Hence why we only find 50% in Kalos and the other 50% is split in cells across Alola.

I like the new Pokémon reveals. I don't mind Faticate but I'm never going to use it. The names and concept of "Ultra Beasts" is just plain fucking stupid. They're legendaries - done. Their names heavily indicate being experiments though. Highly successful ones at that. I mean UB-01? They got the UB experiment right on the first try?!
I've warmed up to some of the earlier reveals as well. I decently like Palossand and Turtonator for eg. I definitely love the new baby Dragon we got. I heard speculation for Dragon/Electric and Dragon/Fighting evolution, I'm going to go with Dragon/Steel based on its plating, colouring and Bulletproof ability.

>Aether
Yeah you know somethings up with them. No way a crisis can occur in Alola if these guys are really as benevolent and helpful as they seem.

Fizzy Bubbles Team:
Spoiler: show
Party:
Traitors:
Lost Souls:
Ex-Admiral Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 12:42 PM   #1203
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
I hate how we have to assume the Ultra Beasts are even Pokemon.

It's possible (and would be a really interesting idea) that they're not Pokemon at all. There is some evidence to support this on the main site. They could be aliens for all we know.

UB-01 doesn't necessarily mean they are an experiment either, its just an easy cataloging system.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:52 PM   #1204
Lil'twick
Insanity

Send a message via Skype™ to Lil'twick
Yeah it's stated on the site that each Ultra Beast has their own code name so they can be categorized.

I fill my lungs with everything
You want someone that I can't be
You say it's insanity, but
I say that's my life

Fizzy Bubbles
Lil'twick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 01:14 PM   #1205
Escalion
Getting married! :D

Send a message via Skype™ to Escalion
That new trailer made me laugh, this gen is getting really comical, but I like it. Well, most of it.

Only FatRat is really stupid looking, but the rest is okay.
Especially Type: Null, the more I see it and read about it, the more interesting it gets really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Admiral Insane View Post
>Aether
Yeah you know somethings up with them. No way a crisis can occur in Alola if these guys are really as benevolent and helpful as they seem.
My idea too. Skull vs Aether is going to be the new Magma vs Aqua, and both will be bad news for Alola below the line.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:35 PM   #1206
gmoyes
Thunder Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to gmoyes
The first thing that came to my mind when looking at Type: Null is that the spikes around its head look like Arceus' ring. The connection between something that combines the traits of several different Pokemon and the God Pokemon that can be of all types seems intriguing.

Also I'm of the opinion that the Aether Foundation isn't going to be evil. They may end up accidentally releasing something especially with their connection with these Ultra Beasts. While they do seem to be laid out in the same style as teams in the past, I think they may be closer to the Silph Co. or Devon counterpart. At least I hope this is the case. They certainly look benevolent.

And as for these Ultra Beasts, well, quite frankly I can wait to find out more about them. What makes them different than regular Pokemon? Can you battle and catch them? Are they man made sort of like Porygon? Or are they more alien-like such as Deoxys? Would either of these Pokemon be classified as a Ultra Beast?
gmoyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:49 PM   #1207
Celebii151
ADCs in 2017 LUL

Send a message via Skype™ to Celebii151
It's probably an experimented Tentacool for the ultimate Gen 1 pandering

PASBL Record
Trainer Level: 5
Referee Grade: B
Wins (DQ): 51 (5) Losses (DQ): 27 (6) Draws: 3
KOs: 135 TP: 294 SP (Earned): 0 (0)

Anime Style Battling | Fizzy Bubbles | Wild Future
Thanks to Pengyzu for the UserBar!
Celebii151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 03:24 PM   #1208
phoopes
Double Dragon

UB-01 definitely looks like Lillie and she's going to tie into the Aether Foundation somehow
Old 09-06-2016, 03:27 PM   #1209
Ironthunder
The Uncultured One

Send a message via Skype™ to Ironthunder
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoopes View Post
UB-01 definitely looks like Lillie and she's going to tie into the Aether Foundation somehow
We were discussing this and the potential implications earlier. If it is true, then you can almost tell that one way or another she probably won't get a happy ending.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:13 PM   #1210
Ex-Admiral Insane
Marsh Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to Ex-Admiral Insane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironthunder View Post
We were discussing this and the potential implications earlier. If it is true, then you can almost tell that one way or another she probably won't get a happy ending.
I don't know. I mean XY post-game Emma got a decently happy ending.

Fizzy Bubbles Team:
Party:
Traitors:
Lost Souls:
Ex-Admiral Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:54 PM   #1211
Mercutio
Banned

Faricate looks like Raticate had an allergic reaction to how far over the Sharpedo Gamefreak is going.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 06:05 PM   #1212
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I am not sure how I feel by the huge deviations GameFreak is making from the formula. It could be really great or just... weird.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 06:07 PM   #1213
RealMrGame10
CAN'T BELIEVE KH3 IS HERE

I'm probably misusing the term, but Gladion is a textbook example of chuunibyou, no?

WHEN YOU WALK AWAY

D- Ref on PASBL
(PASBL squad!)
Let's go WILD
I will battle for cheap

lol who knows
RealMrGame10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 06:08 PM   #1214
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
I personally think its nice that Gamefreak is showing some balls this generation. Honestly things were getting pretty stale, and if they execute this right, its going to be over immensely.

Jelllillie is actually pretty cute in-game. From what I've seen. Lusamine is bae
Old 09-06-2016, 06:50 PM   #1215
Median Dia
Thankful For The Results

Sorry, M.M., it does not appear that Type: Null is an homage to Missingno.. Though part of me thinks the ultra beasts may take some loose inspiration from them- the one we have so far has been mentioned not decide on a single form, something I picture a few of our glitchy friends being able to do (besides, wasn't there one that had a variety of evolution options?). If that is indeed what they're going for, than it's likely that most of the UB's are actually benevolent, but are feared all the same because of the few that aren't and the general mystery surrounding them. This could be a bit of a stretch, however.

Theory borne from the dishes, go~!
That said, UB- 01 is mentioned to girl-like movements despite being the physical mess that it is. This naturally got me thinking of Lillie for the first time in months, and so my full theorizing began. Since she is about as pale and enigmatic as our glassy UB, there is a chance that she could be UB- 01 in disguies. I doubt GF would take things in that direction, though (hasn't that kind of been the 'famous last words' phrase of this generation?). In comes the Aether Foundation. They also where primarily white, which could mean that Lillie's associated with them just based on color palette. And they just so happen to be researching the Ultra Beasts... Even if I'm wrong about Kikui's assistant's biological identity, there's no denying that the similarities are pretty suspicious. The groups own name throws off alarm switches, as well- Aether is commonly referred to as an energy source for magic, which could potentially create life in some stories. And what other confirmed artificial life form was revealed today? Type: Null, which was used to take on legendaries of all things. Curious...

...Which all brings us back to Team Skull. We already figured that they were either a stereotypical gang or a typical Pokemon Team trying to revive/summon/mind control some sort of legendary pokemon. While we don't have any evidence one way or the other still, let's just assume it's the latter situation. We now know that Team Skull and the Aether Foundation are kind of going at each other. It would make sense if the A.F. caught wind of Guzma's plans and opted to create the Ultra Beasts as a modern Type: Null as a counter in case they failed to stop him. This makes sense from Skull's side of things- the newly-revealed Gladion has a Type: Null on his team as well, which would surely help them out when the time comes (the type chart says otherwise, but it's not like they will know that until they get there). And, knowing GameFreak, they will eventually succeed in their plan.

That said, there is another group of people to consider here. It's extremely unlikely that the Trial personnel are going to be particularly pleased with the Aether Foundation once word gets out that they've made the Ultra Beasts. After all, creating life itself is considered to be pretty taboo in most cultures, and these ones are apparently inducing fear of their own amongst the people of Alola. This could mean that the endgame is a genuine three-way struggle for the first time, with the A.F. wielding the U.B.'s, Team Skull brandishing their shiny new Solgaleo and/or Lunala, and the Kahuna's calling upon the mighty Tapu guardians.

And then there's us, some random kid from somewhere else hunting down fragments of the mythical Zygarde. Yeesh, that's kinda rough...

Anywho's, time for the actual pokemon analysis!

Type: Null- Despite all I've said regarding it already, I don't really care for it. Never really been a fan of chimeras outside of Magic... It's name did throw me off during the trailer though, so kudos to it in that regard!

Faticate: ...And there goes the potential. On the plus side, it's a pretty silly jab at city life and a potential reference to Ratatouille of all things. Still kinda want to slug it in it's face, however, so now I'm definitely getting Moon!

Jangmo-o: It's a dino. I don't know what the dinosaur it reminds of is called, but it's gone strong vibes for it coming in. Especially since GF decided to showcase it using a Tail-based attack... Hopefully it'll get a few spikes later on down the line! ...That was terrible...

All in all, I've enjoyed this reveal a fair bit- and a ton more than the kids sitting next to me in Pre-Cal did. Then again, they didn't even watch the video, so so too bad for them! Now, can we please get some clarifications next time?

Tangled Feet- "Only I have the right to hit me!"
Median Dia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:42 PM   #1216
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedMana View Post
Sorry, M.M., it does not appear that Type: Null is an homage to Missingno.. Though part of me thinks the ultra beasts may take some loose inspiration from them- the one we have so far has been mentioned not decide on a single form, something I picture a few of our glitchy friends being able to do (besides, wasn't there one that had a variety of evolution options?).
I'm still gonna consider the possibility Type: Null is the official version of Missingno. until proven wrong definitively. The similarities are there. I mean, I kinda see your point about the Ultra Beasts possibly taking basis from them. And yeah, the glitch Pokémon LM4- at level 18, it evolved into Clefairy, but immediately after evolving into Clefairy, one time only, it would attempt to evolve into Nidoking. And hell, there's another glitch Pokémon, A, that can learn Transform. In fact, its stats are absolute crap except for its stellar Speed, so Transform is pretty much the best thing it can do.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:14 PM   #1217
Celebii151
ADCs in 2017 LUL

Send a message via Skype™ to Celebii151
Type: Null is Arceus Lite, just in time for the DP remakes

Legal Arceus hype

PASBL Record
Trainer Level: 5
Referee Grade: B
Wins (DQ): 51 (5) Losses (DQ): 27 (6) Draws: 3
KOs: 135 TP: 294 SP (Earned): 0 (0)

Anime Style Battling | Fizzy Bubbles | Wild Future
Thanks to Pengyzu for the UserBar!
Celebii151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:12 PM   #1218
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
I highly doubt it's an official Missingno. since Missingno. is a Pokemon the same way Bad Egg is a Pokemon. As in, it's not. I mean, I may be underestimating how far they'll be pandering to Gen I, but I just don't see it.

Type: Null is so fucking weird, though. I don't hate it, I actually quite like it, but the name is hilariously awful. It using Tri Attack was pretty cool, love that move.

I see absolutely no problem with Alolan Raticate and have no idea why others do, either.

Dragon thing seems weird but cool.

UB-01 is another hilariously bad name, but we'll see how it goes. I'm figuring it's probably a Pokemon, of a legendary persuasion, but who knows?

I have to really say, while I think certain things are too far, I really respect how far from the norm they're deviating. It would have been really easy to push out a "safe" game, but it looks like they're taking a lot of risks and a lot of what they're doing has some real potential.
Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:25 PM   #1219
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash View Post
I highly doubt it's an official Missingno. since Missingno. is a Pokemon the same way Bad Egg is a Pokemon. As in, it's not. I mean, I may be underestimating how far they'll be pandering to Gen I, but I just don't see it.
Missingno. has a special place in the hearts of the fandom that Bad Egg hasn't quite been able to attain. One could even say it is to glitch Pokémon what Pikachu is to official Pokémon- a mascot. The first thing that jumps to mind when you think of Pokémon glitches.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:35 PM   #1220
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
I don't think the average person thinks about glitches very much

EDIT: And comparing it to Pikachu is not a very favourable comparison for it
Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 02:45 AM   #1221
TheKnightsFury
Volcano Badge

In love with Type: Null and the new little dragon. People are hoping for dragon/fighting, im not too sure I want that for it. I want a proper European looking dragon that isnt wide and flat like Salamence.

TheKnightsFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 08:23 AM   #1222
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
Oh man, gamefreak going proper full on with weird innovative shit. This will either be excellent or crash and burn horribly.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 10:29 AM   #1223
Zelphon
Caffeinated

Send a message via Skype™ to Zelphon
›New Dragon

I want it to be Dragon/Steel.

Its ability combos imply its defensive in nature and Dialga needs to step aside with that unique typing.

Zelphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 02:37 PM   #1224
Torkoal Stu
This

This generation is changing the dynamics of Pokémon. It is all looking very strange right now, hopefully it'll all come together in time.

As much as I don't enjoy all the changes to the norm GameFreak are making, I admire them for actually trying to make this generation different. Whether it is for better or worse we will see. I'm finding the naming devices a bit odd though. With these two-name names and things like Type: Null.

Aloha Raticate is almost comical xd;
Torkoal Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 03:34 PM   #1225
Selena
Aroma Lady

Aloha Raticate looks like a hamster.

B- grade ref.
Quote:
Originally Posted by empoleon dynamite View Post
Shouldn’t the Hoff be doing something if he’s still around? I have strict rules about leaving the pool, and I’m sure vanishing the pool out of existence breaks those rules in some way :P
Selena is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > UPN News