UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 04-13-2016, 03:14 AM   #1476
biggggg5
Volcano Badge

Spoiler: show
The only problem i really had was that Collide felt like it was building up to an epic final battle with everyone against Lord English but it never happened. I was hoping for one last big fight but no such thing.

biggggg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 03:30 AM   #1477
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggggg5 View Post
The only problem i really had was that Collide felt like it was building up to an epic final battle with everyone against Lord English but it never happened. I was hoping for one last big fight but no such thing.
But he was never supposed to be a boss you can actually beat. They had to use shenanigans. And that is what happened.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:17 AM   #1478
gmoyes
Thunder Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to gmoyes
Yeah, when I saw the art style all I could think was 'Homestuck the Anime confirmed'. Good show Hussie. Thanks for playing indeed. Here's to your next project.

Though I am still wondering what exactly happened to Lord English and Vriska. We didn't see Vriska during the flash forward so was it a suicide attack? And what the heck was Dead Calliope even doing. Oh well, at least there will be eventually be some sort of epilogue stuff.

Homestuck happened. That is all there is to say on the matter.
gmoyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:33 AM   #1479
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
Wh... what?

How can you think that there is anything mediocre about Act 7's animation and art? What? I just... how? It was incredibly well animated. It was a fuckin' anime. I definitely wasn't expecting that.
After reviewing it I do take it back. I had ridiculous expectations from the wait and the art stands on its own merits rather than "burr hurr it shoulda been way better bc they worked on it."

In some ways there were some scenes which didn't exactly show evidence of a lot of effort (particularly in Collide) but I'll forgive them that. Doesn't really matter that much in perspective.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:31 AM   #1480
Lil'twick
Insanity

Send a message via Skype™ to Lil'twick
That wad amazing.

I fill my lungs with everything
You want someone that I can't be
You say it's insanity, but
I say that's my life

Fizzy Bubbles
Lil'twick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 12:16 PM   #1481
DaisyInari
Sarasaland represent!

Send a message via MSN to DaisyInari
Altaria

Watching this was so sweet and beautiful and so sad

I cried so much man I'm so attached to these characters

Hi, I'm Daisy!

W(DQ)- 22(3) L(DQ)-14(0)
KO-55
TP-131 SP- 64.5/96.5 (5SP to Deh, 5SP to FW, 5SP to Desert Spirit, 8.5SP to Fallen Icarus, 10SP to Kyro12, 8SP to Charminions, 10 to aposteriori)
SHUCKS I GOTTA FIX THIS SOMETIME
~TL3~

~Fizzy Bubbles~

Credits to Charm for making this!

Come, my birdies!!!! Mwahahahaha!!!!!!

Thanks Pingu for being so nice and making me this~

Credit to TheKnightsFury for the sprite!

Fear my abnormally large signature~

Be Positive Ref~ I <3 you, Lonely Cubone and those who eval'd me~
DaisyInari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 12:26 PM   #1482
biggggg5
Volcano Badge

just one question

Old 04-13-2016, 01:02 PM   #1483
Lil'twick
Insanity

We all enjoyed this magical journey. Let's await what happens next.

I say that's my life

Fizzy Bubbles
Old 04-13-2016, 03:15 PM   #1484
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggggg5 View Post
just one question
We await the epilogue, which probably won't be for another year, like Problem Sleuth's was.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 03:17 PM   #1485
Toyo
hail

that was pretty sick

beautiful fuckin animation though like that was just pretty and i'm jealous. so much unresolved shit tho like karkat's entire character like what do your blood things do. guess it doesn't really matter

also i'm not exactly sure what happened but i'm pretty sure alt!calliope just destroyed a piece of reality and LE with it? idk. i think everyone was happy in the end and i'm pretty alright with that
Toyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:27 PM   #1486
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

Quick everyone what is your classpect???

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 09:35 PM   #1487
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
Knight of Hope (as given to me by like 3 different classpect quizzes in a row... which was crazy so it must be true, right?)

Anyway I wanted to add some thoughts I had on the finale - tonight I was talking to my girlfriend about it when a lot of my problems with it can be summed up in this chat I told her

Me: It feels to some degree like Hussie wrote himself into a corner on the whole issue of "how to stop and defeat the immortal omnipotent time travelling invincible demon that is also basically a god aka Lord English" plot even though he had plenty of narrative tools that had been discussed or hinted at in the past at his disposal to do so, but

Me: They just kind of...

Me: Implicate... that he is killed by... shenanigans... that aren't really well explained visually. (We're left to assume the juju Vriska deployed released the trapped beta kids from the other timeline who in turn fight and kill LE).

Me: In other words, you don't actually see him die, there are just visual cues that implicate that he is being defeated.

Me: And they don't... really do that... until the last 3-4 minutes... of a 50+ hour story.

Me: And also it shows his past self and how he became the immortal God/Demon that he is now, and that's not fully revealed until like, around the same time he is defeated, in what essentially amounts to the equivalent of a flash back.

Me: And then there just isn't hardly any closure with that characters.

Me: It ended too abruptly, and a lot of people are mad about that.

Me: All Hussie needed to do was add a few more pages after the animation that sort of wraps up some of the loose ends we as an audience have with the characters we've become so attached to

Me: But instead he just implies closure.

Me: That's the problem with the entire ending.

Me: There is a whole lot of "implying". Which is fine in some situations in which you want to leave the rest up to the reader and to headcanon, but there was just way too much of it here.

Me: Like the implication that reality was destroyed when the Green Sun was and everyone died anyway so closure wouldn't even really matter in that case

I's also like to leave this here as well (SPOILERS) that helps tastefully and directly point out narrative issues with the finale, too.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:39 PM   #1488
Lil'twick
Insanity

Quote:
Mage of Void

I say that's my life

Fizzy Bubbles
Old 04-13-2016, 09:57 PM   #1489
biggggg5
Volcano Badge

Apparently I am a Mage of Breath

Old 04-14-2016, 12:42 AM   #1490
Lady Kuno

Quote:
Maid of Mind

Old 04-14-2016, 02:05 AM   #1491
deoxys
Fog Badge

So... in hindsight...

Everyone that has finished Homestuck needs to go back and read this.

Essentially, we already had the answers, but a lot of us had forgotten them - and Homestuck's use of anachronism does not help (except to make things more complicated):

I admittedly forgot about most of the context here, just the kids being sucked into the juju and Caliborn et al. being sucked into Cal.

So... at the end of [S] Act 7, when we see Caliborn obtain his cool glowy eyes, when John reached for the door, he opens it, and...

All the human kids are teleported to Caliborn, instantly, who had just retrieved the Ring of Void from the Condesce's dead body (supposedly). A fight ensues. Caliborn sucks the beta kids into his Juju, which he explicitly states can never be used again, except against him. So, he buries it in the furthest ring. The alpha kids are all that remain, and Caliborn beats them. Jake loses control of his Hope powers and goes insane, unleashing the physical manifestation of pure Hope, which utterly destroys Caliborn (fuck yeah, Hope ;)). Dirk gets up and uses Heart powers to seal Caliborn's soul but somehow ARquiusprite shows up and you know the rest.

Then, a literal eternity later, Vriska finds the Juju, takes it to Lord English, releases it the same way and - well. Let me put it this way. Now this is my own thought - but; When Caliborn/ARq/Gamzee were able to escape Dirk's juju (Lil' Cal), what happened? They became Lord English. So, when Vriska releases Caliborn's juju, what happens to the beta kids inside? This is ambiguous. They either a. Escaped, individually. b. Were dead, but their raw power remained. c. They fused to become a new entity which was released to stop LE.

The rest is just implied or unanswered. What happened to the alpha kids? What happened to the trolls? How did Arquiusprite get there? etc.

The kids being on the planet at the end was also ambiguous. Was it just projecting what they wanted, via Terezi mind powers? Or did they see the future with Dave's time powers? Or was that actually them?

Too many unanswered things. I don't mind homestucks use of anachronism to tell the story, but that's exactly how so much shit gets lost in translation to the reader.

Last edited by deoxys; 04-14-2016 at 02:26 AM.
Old 04-14-2016, 03:11 AM   #1492
Lady Kuno

Here's my interpretation of everything:

So Calliope does her thing, the Green Sun goes and with it LE’s reign comes at an end. But what I think she actually does is destroy Sburb in its entirety. With unlimited creative potential you also will eventually get unlimited destructive power. And so to finally destroy the latter you have to get rid of the former. Paradox space is destroyed, and when the Juju is used, the door the kids are by suddenly changes. Instead of entering a new world that will be eventually tied to the game, they are leaving the narrative. Them entering their new session without escaping the narrative is the timeline/universe where Calliope + Calliborn are from.

This is why I believe you do not see any god tier outfits or sprites in the new world (The carapaces are there due to the meteor being on the planet). This idea is probably wrong but it’s a different perspective.

tl;dr : Juju didn’t kill LE. Not using juju means the kids were still in game, which is the timeline Caliborn/Calliope were made and the kids fought Caliborn. What the juju really did was change their door to allow them to leave the narrative and the game.

Old 04-14-2016, 08:03 AM   #1493
gmoyes
Thunder Badge

Send a message via Skype™ to gmoyes
My classpect is Prince of Time.

I see the way that Homestuck ended as leaving it open enough for Paradox Space and fanfic fodder. This is sort of a 'the adventures continues' style ending with everyone exploring the new world. Still, it would be good to see an actual role call to see where everyone ended up. The kids, Karkat, Terezi, Kanaya, Dad and Nanna made it through to the next world. Everyone else is a little ambiguous. Aradia was indeed there when everything went to hell, but what happened to her, Vriska and Sollux? Killed via LE, Green Sun or juju? As well as all the ghosts? Are the dreambubbles still even a thing? What happened to Gamzee, was he just abandoned in the fridge? And most of the sprites are AWOL. Where's Jasprose, Davepeta, ARquis, GCATavros and the other Nanna? Which Nanna even joined them in the new world, pre or post-retcon? What was the point of [s] Terezi: Remember?

All in all there are a lot of questions remaining. But I think the problem is that this was the ending that Hussie had envisioned all along, but the bloat and time constraints cut the ending a little short and couldn't cover everything. Still, it was a good ending to a great epic.
gmoyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:08 AM   #1494
Lady Kuno

How do we all have different classes AND aspects? Are we slated to join the same session?

Old 04-14-2016, 09:27 AM   #1495
Sparkbeat
I make cryin' babies weep

I know nothing about anything but took a quiz because I'm a whore for these kinds of things and got Page of Breath. All the Aspect emblems look super cool.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:03 AM   #1496
RealMrGame10
CAN'T BELIEVE KH3 IS HERE

Seer of Light

WHEN YOU WALK AWAY

D- Ref on PASBL
(PASBL squad!)
Let's go WILD
I will battle for cheap

lol who knows
RealMrGame10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:41 AM   #1497
JustAnotherUser
Only Mostly Lurking

Send a message via Skype™ to JustAnotherUser
Page of Breath, I'm pretty sure.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:52 AM   #1498
Lil'twick
Insanity

>Re:Classpects

Ahh all we need is a space player.

I say that's my life

Fizzy Bubbles
Old 04-14-2016, 12:55 PM   #1499
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil'twick View Post
>Re:Classpects

Ahh all we need is a space player.
And doom, and rage, and blood, and void, and life, and a lot of others I'm forgetting.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:07 PM   #1500
Lil'twick
Insanity

Hi I am the Void player.

I say that's my life

Fizzy Bubbles