UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 06-04-2011, 02:54 PM   #2651
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by big bad birtha View Post
I just finished reading Zero. As I've previously been saying, it's addicting. Watching Zero solve all the gambles is entertaining as hell. It's similar to Kaiji in that respect, but the games have more creativity to them. The ending was a giant middle finger though. Seriously, what the hell?
Without divulging specifics, what was the nature of the giant middle finger? Was it a plot twist that felt deus ex? Was it a plot twist which ruined some of the characters / went against some of the characters' established personalities and ideals? Was it a cliffhanger? Was it a Harry Potter Book 7 final chapter-style ending? Was it something else entirely?
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 03:49 PM   #2652
unownmew
Banned

Send a message via MSN to unownmew
I just recently finished Dance in the Vampire Bund anime, and, I have to disagree with this statement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
He's male. Vampire Bund is Talon's worst nightmare - the most gratuitous loli fanservice I've ever seen in an anime, enough to make Kodomo no Jikan look like Thomas the Tank Engine (no joke). I've seen hentai that less blatantly lolicon than VB's anime, it was *strong* stuff.

And if the loli wasn't enough, Mina often fantasizes about sex with Akira...when he's in his werewolf form. I'm still patting myself on the back for getting through VB, especially when it was that anime that rejuvenated my ability to focus on an anime and finish it.
I must have been watching a censored version, because I didn't see much of any of this "blatent lolicon" (unless you're just referring to the very flat size of her chest?)
Two barechested shots, a third one seemingly censored with colored light beams across the screen, the Opening theme seemed to have the most fanservice for Mina, showing her dancing and spinning with a long, thin, white cloth around her neck covering just the necessary. Most of the time Mina was very clothed, and her busty true form was completely censored in a swirling of faded black and yellow light for a body (think Demon energy).
Most of the fanservice was for the bustier characters; a couple pantyshots, some boobshots, and related vampire assaulting.

And anything relating to imagining sex, I didn't see at all, thankfully. So I dunno what you saw.

Quote:

I should clarify that Vampire Bund was entertaining for its action, characters and plot. Its fanservice was way out of control, enough that FUNimation actually had to stick a warning label on its online subs to avoid any messy legal trouble.

But it was a fun show, and as a vampire buff you might consider watching it on CR or something. It's a serious SHAFT show, less irreverent than stuff like Zetsubo Sensei, but a bit more silly than something like Madoka.
I agree though that, it was quite entertaining for it's action, characters, and plot, (though they added a character, Mei Rin, and twisted around a bit of the plot, but most of the situations were similar to the manga).
I didn't like the ending fight though, where they decided to turn it into a display of flashing lights instead of actual action.

BTW, you mentioned that the author was male, and appeared on the first show of the anime, well, he appars in one of the "Dance with the Vampire Maids" shorts after the show, and it's mentioned that while he's in charge of the anime, he's not in charge of the series, or something like that. He says something about his Oba-chan (? the subtitle said grandmother) doing it, though I may have misunderstood exactly what he was meaning by that.

Well, with that done, I'm now lacking an anime to watch or manga to read, any recommendations? I'm not much in the mood for a VN atm. Otherwise I'll go to playing an awesome strategy PC game I got recently (Galactic Civilizations II), which has been occupying way too much of my time lately >_>

Last edited by unownmew; 06-04-2011 at 03:53 PM.
unownmew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:07 PM   #2653
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Anyway, now that I got that Muv-Luv speech out of my system, some thoughts on the actual story:

Spoiler: show
I think Takeru and Sumika will end up having to fight each other at some point. I saw the gorgeous wallpaper Dopple posted earlier, which combined with the cover seems to give a pretty clear indication that Sumika is alive and an Eishi in this world. This makes the possibility that the brain belongs to Takeru's counterpart even more likely.

I forgot to mention I really liked Yuuko-sensei's breakdown scene. I realize now she too is human, even more so than at the end of Unlimited. And I'm glad Kasumi turned out to be a human with her own background, rather than a remote-controlled Sumika-bot. I'm motivated to keep going in order to ensure their bright futures as well.

I also have a couple questions:

1) Why couldn't Takeru just focus on November 29 and make a quick second trip back to his world to pick up Yuuko-sensei's equations, instead of waiting three days in real-time? I know Kasumi was tired and the transporter required a lot of power, but did they really need more than a day of recovery time? If he got the time and location right, it wouldn't take Takeru more than a few minutes to swing by the Physics Prep room and grab the equations.

2) Was Irma the one who started shooting at Sagiri during the negotiations? I thought I heard Major Walken tell Thesleff - which I think was her last name - to "stop shooting". If so that's a real shame, since as I mentioned before she was the reason I started introspecting and respecting Muv-Luv's world. Seeing not just faces I know, but random, regular people getting involved and risking their lives for what's precious to them really woke me up. I left off at that point yesterday to mull things over, and the responsibility for changing the future for others like her and the old lady has weighed on my mind until this morning. Now I wonder if it was a mistake to trust her. For now I'm just going to assume it was another TSF, or pretend she simply jumped the gun and pulled the trigger by accident.

Unownmew, I'll recommend Madoka again. I finished the show the other day, and it was kickass. Depressingly mindbreaking.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 04:25 PM   #2654
unownmew
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by YUKI.N View Post

Unownmew, I'll recommend Madoka again. I finished the show the other day, and it was kickass. Depressingly mindbreaking.
I think I'll do that now.

Edit: The first scene is very very interesting and compelling. I think I'm going to enjoy this.

Edit 2: As I watch the theme song, I think back on what people have said about this anime (as I don't remember much of it, which I'm sure is a good thing). Didn't someone say something about no fanservice or something earlier? Or was that another anime I'm getting it mixed up with? Cus I'm seeing fanservice...

Last edited by unownmew; 06-04-2011 at 04:34 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:47 PM   #2655
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Quote:
Originally Posted by unownmew View Post
Edit 2: As I watch the theme song, I think back on what people have said about this anime (as I don't remember much of it, which I'm sure is a good thing). Didn't someone say something about no fanservice or something earlier? Or was that another anime I'm getting it mixed up with? Cus I'm seeing fanservice...
The fanservice is very rare outside of the OP and final episode. The level of service you've encountered so far is about the most explicit you'll find in this series.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:04 PM   #2656
unownmew
Banned

Quote:

The fanservice is very rare outside of the OP and final episode. The level of service you've encountered so far is about the most explicit you'll find in this series.
Hmm, that's a new one, though I'm only familiar with Nanoha, in it, there was service for every transformation scene.

Just finished episode one.

I remember someone said Madoka takes everything about Mahou Shojou and turns it on it's head right?

It's certainly very dark, but, in a creepy kind of way, those strange 2D paper things, I'm sure I'd be pretty traumatized if I saw that for real. >_>

One gripe I have so far, it seems the art style, half the time, makes the characters look older then they are. In one scene they look like young teenagers, the other scene they look "magical girl aged." It's not the presence of one or the other, but the fact that there's both that sets me off a little bit.

Oh well, on to episode 2.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:11 PM   #2657
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Quote:
Hmm, that's a new one, though I'm only familiar with Nanoha, in it, there was service for every transformation scene.
I only recall one specific instance of a full transformation scene, and then the nakedness was for but a moment. Don't worry too much over it.

And trust me. You ain't seen nothing yet. Just wait till episode 03.

I think the art style gradually improved by the end of the series, and the characters looked consistently more mature. I don't remember clearly though.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:36 PM   #2658
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
One gripe I have so far, it seems the art style, half the time, makes the characters look older then they are.

Seriously? Entire reason I avoided the show like the plague in the first place were the Hidamari Sketch lolimoeblob character designs. "Ol' Football Head" looks nary a day over 13. And guess what. She's canonically 14. She looks loli for her age, not mature. And you want them to look even younger?

Anyway, this series is, in spite of its lolimoeblob character designs, a very very good series.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:45 PM   #2659
unownmew
Banned

Quote:

I only recall one specific instance of a full transformation scene, and then the nakedness was for but a moment. Don't worry too much over it.

And trust me. You ain't seen nothing yet. Just wait till episode 03.

I think the art style gradually improved by the end of the series, and the characters looked consistently more mature. I don't remember clearly though.
I'm not worried.

Great >_> The first witch was bad enough, that's absolutely creepy.
The story is good though, it's quite the interesting take on Mahou Shojou.

Ok, for episode 2, they consistently looked high-school age, even having sizable bust. I'm assuming grade 9 is like 9th grade in America, that's high school freshmen, so I can understand the mentor girl being mature (though it's really strange to think of her as a magical girl), but didn't it say Madoka was in grade two? (maybe I missed something, now that I think about it, that seems a little odd) Why are they all the same size? Mahou Shojou to me says young girl, but they keep having double themes, half the time she's a girl, the other half a teenager. This is going to irritate me greatly..

Last edited by unownmew; 06-04-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:54 PM   #2660
unownmew
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post

Seriously? Entire reason I avoided the show like the plague in the first place were the Hidamari Sketch lolimoeblob character designs. "Ol' Football Head" looks nary a day over 13. And guess what. She's canonically 14. She looks loli for her age, not mature. And you want them to look even younger?

Anyway, this series is, in spite of its lolimoeblob character designs, a very very good series.
Well, I geuss it comes down to what I expected, what I thought I knew, vs what it really was.
I was unaware of her "canon" age, if she's 14, I can accept that, though what I knew of mahou shojou is they have younger characters then that, and she looked, and acted very young in the first episode. Heck, standing next to her mother she didn't look that tall.
I don't care if she looks younger or older, She looks young enough when she looks young, what irritates me is the mixture of both I keep seeing.

I'm sure it is a good series, and I will continue to watch it, I'm just voicing my opinions as they come.

Last edited by unownmew; 06-04-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:00 PM   #2661
Talon87
時の彼方へ

As far as the grades go, you're being misled/confused by the fansubber's attempts to Westernize the grades for an English-speaking audience. Whenever they say "Grade 9," what they're trying to convey is that the students are 14 going on 15. They don't mean to imply that they are in the lowest grade of the highest-up school before college. That's usually translated as "Grade 10" by people who use numbers. (Aside: it's actually pretty uncommon to see someone use "Grade 9" in American fansubbing. Most people using numbers will translate the high school years to Grades 10-12 but will translate the middle school ones as 6-8. At least in my limited experience with people who do this.)

But then when you see people saying Madoka's in "Grade 2", they're reverting to Japanese nomenclature. The Japanese define the grades in blocks. There are ...
  • youchien = kindergarten (functions like an American preschool)
  • shougakkou = elementary school
    • Grades 1-5
  • chuugakkou = middle school
    • Grades 1-3
  • koukou = high school
    • Grades 1-3
Some things to remember:

(1) Japanese children graduate one year earlier than us by grade numerology: they graduate from their eleventh numbered year at age 17, we graduate from our twelfth at age 18.

(2) Things don't always translate one-to-one. For instance, Japanese high schools have only three grades. Most traditional American high schools have four grades.

Long story short, if you lop off Grade 12 completely and account for the fact that all the girls are on track to graduate by the end of our Grade 11, Madoka is in the American equivalent of Grade 8 while Mami is in the American equivalent of Grade 9 age-wise, but Madoka is in USA Grade 7 while Mami is in USA Grade 8 in the sense of when you move on from one building to the next. Regardless, Madoka is 13/14 (Wiki says 14) and Mami is 14/15 (so one can infer she's 15), the ages corresponding to most American 8th and 9th graders.

Last edited by Talon87; 06-04-2011 at 06:02 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:29 PM   #2662
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Mahou Shojou to me says young girl, but they keep having double themes, half the time she's a girl, the other half a teenager. This is going to irritate me greatly..
I don't think you have anything to be irritated about. Here:

少女 literally means "a little bit" (少) "a woman" (女). It literally thus refers to someone who is partly but not yet wholly a woman. While the term is used indiscriminately these days to refer to a large age range of girls, you should keep this history in mind before saying to yourself, "shoujo means little girls."

Regardless of the term's history, the term's current applications include teenage and sometimes even college-age girls: so it's flat-out wrong to get flustered that they're referring to middle schoolers this way. According to Wikipedia, if you like, most Japanese associate the term with ages 7 to 18 and the law uses it to define any female minor under the age of 20. Since Madoka is only 14 years old, she most definitely fits the bill for being labeled a shoujo.

Last edited by Talon87; 06-04-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 08:08 PM   #2663
unownmew
Banned

Quote:
As far as the grades go, you're being misled/confused by the fansubber's attempts to Westernize the grades for an English-speaking audience. Whenever they say "Grade 9," what they're trying to convey is that the students are 14 going on 15. They don't mean to imply that they are in the lowest grade of the highest-up school before college. That's usually translated as "Grade 10" by people who use numbers. (Aside: it's actually pretty uncommon to see someone use "Grade 9" in American fansubbing. Most people using numbers will translate the high school years to Grades 10-12 but will translate the middle school ones as 6-8. At least in my limited experience with people who do this.)

But then when you see people saying Madoka's in "Grade 2", they're reverting to Japanese nomenclature. The Japanese define the grades in blocks. There are ...
  • youchien = kindergarten (functions like an American preschool)
  • shougakkou = elementary school
    • Grades 1-5
  • chuugakkou = middle school
    • Grades 1-3
  • koukou = high school
    • Grades 1-3
Some things to remember:

(1) Japanese children graduate one year earlier than us by grade numerology: they graduate from their eleventh numbered year at age 17, we graduate from our twelfth at age 18.

(2) Things don't always translate one-to-one. For instance, Japanese high schools have only three grades. Most traditional American high schools have four grades.

Long story short, if you lop off Grade 12 completely and account for the fact that all the girls are on track to graduate by the end of our Grade 11, Madoka is in the American equivalent of Grade 8 while Mami is in the American equivalent of Grade 9 age-wise, but Madoka is in USA Grade 7 while Mami is in USA Grade 8 in the sense of when you move on from one building to the next. Regardless, Madoka is 13/14 (Wiki says 14) and Mami is 14/15 (so one can infer she's 15), the ages corresponding to most American 8th and 9th graders.
er, your explanation seems to confuse me more then the result. I get the picture though, she's 14, whatever grade that translates to in America and the other girl is one grade more.

But the Japanese really graduate at 17?

Quote:
I don't think you have anything to be irritated about. Here:

少女 literally means "a little bit" (少) "a woman" (女). It literally thus refers to someone who is partly but not yet wholly a woman. While the term is used indiscriminately these days to refer to a large age range of girls, you should keep this history in mind before saying to yourself, "shoujo means little girls."

Regardless of the term's history, the term's current applications include teenage and sometimes even college-age girls: so it's flat-out wrong to get flustered that they're referring to middle schoolers this way. According to Wikipedia, if you like, most Japanese associate the term with ages 7 to 18 and the law uses it to define any female minor under the age of 20. Since Madoka is only 14 years old, she most definitely fits the bill for being labeled a shoujo.
I was unaware of what mahou shojou actually meant, my personal experience with it was Nanoha (she was young), and cover art for other mahou shojou, which always look like young lolis, so that's what I associated with it. I appreciate the correction though.

Its partly my confusion with the ages that helped my irritation, but it was also that the art style and way Madoka acted that caused me to think "young" while everyone around her looked "mature".

Now that I have everything sorted out, I'm less irritated, we'll see what happens.

On another note, finished Episode 3;

The mentor girl, Mami, died!?! :O

This is dark and serious..

Last edited by unownmew; 06-04-2011 at 08:16 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:10 PM   #2664
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Watched the opening scenes (pre- and post-opening credits) to the first episode of Kanon again, just on a whim. Ayu's scene (the one post-opening credits) blows me away every time. A, tears. ;_; B, what a naughty director! I swear to God: that scene is just so explicitly chock-full of spoilers and yet they're all perfectly hidden in plain sight to the first-time viewer. Brings back memories of '06 when bbb was watching Kanon for the very first time.

Reading comments on the video's page depresses me though. -_-; So many -- too many -- people these days see Clannad before they see Kanon. I could be more accepting of that fact were it not for irksome comments like these:
reminds me of f fuko in clannad )
Why irksome? Because he's got it backwards. >_< No one in Kanon is like Fuuko: it's Fuuko who is like people in Kanon. grrrrr

Or comments like this one ...
Hmm im having a deja vu feeling... why is it so familar?...

Oh wait its just like Clannad. :/
FUCK YOU! Kanon's way better than Clannad ... and Kanon fucking came first! So go take your fucking déjŕ vu and shove it up your butt!

Yuki: Calm down, Talon!

It's just irritating. >_> I loved the Ushio arc as much as the next guy and am grateful to you guys for getting to me to watch it, but there's a reason I originally dropped Clannad After-Story eight episodes in: and that's that the Clannad universe, Ushio arc and Nagisa's parents aside, is boring as fuck. Drives me nuts that all these children come along and in addition to not fuckin' knowin' their roots they can't even tell the superior from the inferior product.

*grumble grumble Ayu arc is still the best Key arc hands down grumle grumble*

Mcsweeney: Hey, I don't wanna hear this from you ... although I guess now you know how we AIR people feel.
Talon: Oh for the love of--
Mcsweeney: MISUZU ARC IS BEST ARC! ;_______________;

Yeaaaaaaaaaaah ... yeah.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:45 PM   #2665
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Ha ha, I actually rewatched the post-opening credits a few days ago on a whim as well, and was just as shocked at how spoilerific it was. Up to now I never really quite made out what the scene of the red figure on the ground was - whether it was just a shot of a dress with the owner curled up or what (I pictured a pose like the girl's from Clannad's "world that has ended"). But no, you can clearly see part of the head and face in the corner, which should tell you exactly who it is. Man, the fact the director got away with sprinkling so many obvious hints around impresses me once again.

Although I still have not been able to find that exact unpacking scene you described. Are you sure you weren't thinking of the first Kanon animé? I checked like the first few episodes and Yuuichi actually found the "item" amongst his stuff and wondered why he had it, asking if it was Nayuki's.

Anyway, I'm glad you all urged me to watch Kanon before Clannad. I had not heard a thing about Kanon prior to watching the show, but knew there was a lot of praise for Clannad. If I had watched Clannad first, I'd probably be one of those commenters who thinks Kanon ripped off Clannad. >.>;
Old 06-04-2011, 10:01 PM   #2666
Talon87
時の彼方へ

About Japanese schools:
I made an image to explain this, made an error though, and when I went back to fix it, I saw that someone on Wikipedia's made a perfectly superior table for you so check it out and hopefully that'll clear up any confusion you may have had about the various names for the grades, the breakdown for the different levels of education (e.g. elementary vs. middle vs. high), and the ages children typically are in those grades. Thing is, though ... on closer inspection, I think the years are one off. In my experience (real Japanese people of all ages -- grandmas, middle aged men and women, and 20-somethings), they all turned 17 their senior year, not 18 their senior year. So that's odd that the Wiki disagrees. But whatever. I'll believe myself, but I won't fault you for trusting Wiki over me. *shrug*

Quote:
Although I still have not been able to find that exact unpacking scene you described. Are you sure you weren't thinking of the first Kanon animé? I checked like the first few episodes and Yuuichi actually found the "item" amongst his stuff and wondered why he had it, asking if it was Nayuki's.
You'll have to clarify what the discrepancy is. It seems like you were able to find it just fine. Were you unable to specifically find the scene of him sleeping with it? That might be a Toei version-only thing, but I was pretty sure they had it in this version too.

Yuuichi unpacking in Toei anime
Yuuichi sleeping with the headband in Toei anime

And as a special treat , here's Ayu in the Toei anime. (OH DEAR GOD! Wasn't nearly so bad back when I watched this in Summer 2004, but yeah, now that we've been gifted the blessing of KyoAni Kanon, I don't think I could ever go back. )

But as far as unpacking goes, the whole point, if I'm remembering our conversation correctly, was to show you that ...
Yuuichi was so torn up about not giving Ayu the headband that he not only imagined it once but fucking twice:
(1) he imagined the grown-up Ayu wearing the red headband. Impossible since he never gave it to her.
(2) he imagined that he had the red headband with him. Impossible since #3.
(3) he finally remembers that he left it by the tree where Ayu died before he left town, wrapping paper and all

Poor, poor Yuuichi.

Last edited by Talon87; 06-04-2011 at 10:03 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:10 PM   #2667
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Quote:
That might be a Toei version-only thing, but I was pretty sure they had it in this version too.
Ohhh. I was under the impression you were referring to the unpacking scene as from the KyoAni version. =x I don't think I ever saw Kyon-clone Yuuichi unpacking it or having it in his possession, even if it was off to the side. I still haven't rewatched the series closely in full, so maybe I'm just missing it. I've scoured the first few epiodes quite a few times though, and haven't encountered any image like that.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:31 PM   #2668
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:

Ohhh. I was under the impression you were referring to the unpacking scene as from the KyoAni version. =x I don't think I ever saw Kyon-clone Yuuichi unpacking it or having it in his possession, even if it was off to the side. I still haven't rewatched the series closely in full, so maybe I'm just missing it. I've scoured the first few epiodes quite a few times though, and haven't encountered any image like that.
Well, I just pored over the first six episodes on Youtube and can't find any evidence of it in the KyoAni version. Which is very odd. But it's possible that ...

... the important point to understand is that Apparition Ayu is wearing something she can't possibly have or even know about -- the red hairband -- and that in hindsight this is a strong clue that she was at least in part a construct of Yuuichi's imagination ...

... and that given this important point, the two different productions simply went about addressing it in different ways, the one (Toei) saying that Yuuichi never gave it to her but instead brought it home with him and cherished it (think Yukiatsu with the hair clips he got for Menma in AnoHana) and the other one (KyoAni) saying that Yuuichi left it for her at her "grave", the tree, and then forgot all about it until many years later when he returned to the city.

KyoAni's imo is the more believable, then, since Toei's would kind of beg the question "Why didn't you notice that she's impossibly wearing your headband gift for her, Yuuichi? " whereas KyoAni's allows Yuuichi to have PTSD-buried the memory deep within his mind, so much so that even when the subconscious used knowledge of the headband to paint the portrait of grown-up Ayu his cognitive brain still didn't pick up on it.

So it's sort of like a Y, then. A fork in the road. Both start off with the same premise -- "have Yuuichi imagine Ayu with the headband he never gave her" -- but both handle it different ways.

However, I could have sworn he had the headband with him even in the KyoAni version. Oh well, not the end of the world if I've misremembered this. Though it'll drive me nuts if we later find it. lol
Old 06-04-2011, 10:51 PM   #2669
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Anyway, now that I got that Muv-Luv speech out of my system, some thoughts on the actual story:

1) Why couldn't Takeru just focus on November 29 and make a quick second trip back to his world to pick up Yuuko-sensei's equations, instead of waiting three days in real-time? I know Kasumi was tired and the transporter required a lot of power, but did they really need more than a day of recovery time? If he got the time and location right, it wouldn't take Takeru more than a few minutes to swing by the Physics Prep room and grab the equations.
It was to give Kasumi time to rest. So long as Takeru knew the date, he could jump to 29 November from any day in Alternative, and in fact does so on 8 December, three days after the coup d'etat.

Quote:

2) Was Irma the one who started shooting at Sagiri during the negotiations? I thought I heard Major Walken tell Thesleff - which I think was her last name - to "stop shooting". If so that's a real shame, since as I mentioned before she was the reason I started introspecting and respecting Muv-Luv's world. Seeing not just faces I know, but random, regular people getting involved and risking their lives for what's precious to them really woke me up. I left off at that point yesterday to mull things over, and the responsibility for changing the future for others like her and the old lady has weighed on my mind until this morning. Now I wonder if it was a mistake to trust her. For now I'm just going to assume it was another TSF, or pretend she simply jumped the gun and pulled the trigger by accident.

Yes, she was responsible, Irma was piloting Hunter 02. Why Irma started shooting isn't certain - was she afraid? Did she think taking out Sagiri would personally benefit her, since it would get her family accolades toward become American citizens? Was it part of a deal with the CIA? Nobody knows.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 11:16 PM   #2670
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
I just recently finished Dance in the Vampire Bund anime, and, I have to disagree with this statement.

I must have been watching a censored version, because I didn't see much of any of this "blatent lolicon" (unless you're just referring to the very flat size of her chest?)
Two barechested shots, a third one seemingly censored with colored light beams across the screen, the Opening theme seemed to have the most fanservice for Mina, showing her dancing and spinning with a long, thin, white cloth around her neck covering just the necessary. Most of the time Mina was very clothed, and her busty true form was completely censored in a swirling of faded black and yellow light for a body (think Demon energy).
Most of the fanservice was for the bustier characters; a couple pantyshots, some boobshots, and related vampire assaulting.

And anything relating to imagining sex, I didn't see at all, thankfully. So I dunno what you saw.
Bare-chested shots are a zenith most other anime would never approach, let alone reach. And wasn't there a scene of adult Akira and child Mina naked at some point? I've forgotten most of the details.

Quote:
I agree though that, it was quite entertaining for it's action, characters, and plot, (though they added a character, Mei Rin, and twisted around a bit of the plot, but most of the situations were similar to the manga).
I didn't like the ending fight though, where they decided to turn it into a display of flashing lights instead of actual action.

BTW, you mentioned that the author was male, and appeared on the first show of the anime, well, he appars in one of the "Dance with the Vampire Maids" shorts after the show, and it's mentioned that while he's in charge of the anime, he's not in charge of the series, or something like that. He says something about his Oba-chan (? the subtitle said grandmother) doing it, though I may have misunderstood exactly what he was meaning by that.
I don't remember how the fight was choreographed, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was just a bunch of flashing lights. The budget wasn't stellar for that show, hence the focus on AKIRA'S EYE. -_O;

I have no idea on that omake bit.

Quote:
Well, with that done, I'm now lacking an anime to watch or manga to read, any recommendations? I'm not much in the mood for a VN atm. Otherwise I'll go to playing an awesome strategy PC game I got recently (Galactic Civilizations II), which has been occupying way too much of my time lately >_>
How about Midori no Hibi?

Quote:
However, I could have sworn he had the headband with him even in the KyoAni version. Oh well, not the end of the world if I've misremembered this. Though it'll drive me nuts if we later find it. lol
He didn't, I remember this being a point you brought up way back when.

And on those YT comments - where do these guys come from? KEY fans have long been stereotyped as blindly lauding KEY works but how they rank-order things has always been a mystery to me. But it's clear that a new, huge generation of KEY fans have appeared who only seem to like/play Clannad. This is a major annoyance on VNDB as well, with Clannad, FSN and Ever17 having ridiculous numbers of voters giving those titles almost comically exaggerated (10/10) ratings.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-04-2011, 11:55 PM   #2671
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Quote:
It was to give Kasumi time to rest. So long as Takeru knew the date, he could jump to 29 November from any day in Alternative, and in fact does so on 8 December, three days after the coup d'etat.
Yeah, Yuuko-sensei reviewed all the reasons they decided to wait at the start of chapter 7. I still feel like it's kind of an excuse for a plot device. >.>;

Dopple, you were going to give me the translation to the chapter 7 speech at one point, but edited it out due to spoilers, right? Could I please have it now?
Old 06-05-2011, 12:17 AM   #2672
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Without divulging specifics, what was the nature of the giant middle finger? Was it a plot twist that felt deus ex? Was it a plot twist which ruined some of the characters / went against some of the characters' established personalities and ideals? Was it a cliffhanger? Was it a Harry Potter Book 7 final chapter-style ending? Was it something else entirely?
It was basically a massive cliffhanger. The story so far was leading up to one big event, but when that event is about to start, something happens and it just says "The End".

Doppel, since you're around the 30's in Heartcatch, I'll list some things for you to look forward to, since things get alot better in the 30's.
1) Erika trying to clean her room with her Precure powers.
2) A great amount of development on Yuri's side. I'm sure the new ending tells something else about her as well.
3) The Tsubomi development you were asking for. While it's not exactly what you were asking for, it's similar, and I personally think it's better than the thing you were asking for.
4) An awesome fashion show. There's so much emotion leading up to this fashion show, so when it actually happens, it's an absolutely wonderful moment. The insert song made it that much better. It's in episode 36, look forward to it!
5) A new attack, which is always welcome.

Maybe I'm over glorifying it, but you've shared similar opinions that I had when I watched it, so I don't think I am.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:09 AM   #2673
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Hey BBB, she's at Chapter 7!

*elbows*

Quote:

Dopple, you were going to give me the translation to the chapter 7 speech at one point, but edited it out due to spoilers, right? Could I please have it now?
Hmm? I don't recall doing that, but I have a subbed video of that speech. Lemme type out the translation -

【General Radhabinod】 「Your recent labours have been truly arduous.」

【General Radhabinod】 「I was glad for the opportunity to learn firsthand the strong wills of the young men and women who strove to correct my mistakes」

【Yuuhi】 「However, many lives were lost and can never be replaced. I feel as if the sadness will tear me apart.」

【Yuuhi】 「I pray that the souls of those who left us are at peace.」

【Yuuhi】 「Those warriors loved and adored this country and its people, and wished for them to last forever.」

【Yuuhi】 「That feeling of theirs has been entrusted to all the people who now live in this land.」

【Yuuhi】 「It is a rare thing for their wish to be granted as the world is now.」

【Yuuhi】 「However, when each and every one of us does what we are meant to do, overcoming petty differences and combining our strengths...」

【Yuuhi】 「There is nothing we cannot accomplish.」

【Yuuhi】 「I earnestly wish that you all manage to walk down the right path.」

【Yuuhi】 「And my heart will forever be with you all.」
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 06-05-2011, 01:50 AM   #2674
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Quote:
Hey BBB, she's at Chapter 7!

*elbows*

OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!

I... I can't even think right now. My hands and legs are shaking. Holy shit. This... I wasn't expecting this at all. Why? Why why why? Takeru you baka baka baka! You were right there! And there was nothing I could've done, damnit! *forces self to hold back from punching screen*

...I hate you, Dopple. Why'd you introduce me to this game? T.T

Sorry, it's just... Sleep. I need sleep. Yeah, sleep would be good right now. Ha ha... Ha. *walks off in a daze*
Old 06-05-2011, 01:57 AM   #2675
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

If you sleep now you'll probably have nightmares.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime