UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 11-29-2013, 01:11 AM   #126
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Get no opportunities to unbox 2DS until 12:30am.

2DS says it takes a full 3 hours to charge.1,2

Fuck. Guess Pokémon Y will have to wait until tomorrow night. The joys of being in a household with a hard ban on video games and anime.

At least I can read the instruction manual tonight ...

1 WTF. This had better be a first time only thing!

2 I was told a long time ago to always let rechargeable batteries fully charge before their first use. I remember the DS Lite specifying this as well. So yeah, turning it on right now is not an option.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:11 AM   #127
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

Don't forget to post your FC when you get a chance.
jolteonjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:56 AM   #128
Talon87
時の彼方へ

More Misadventures of Talon:

Spoiler: show
Get opportunity to set up 2DS and play from ~7:00am until {beyond the present; probably 10am; for reference, it's nearly 9am right now}.

Don't remember router information for parents' wireless router.

Information is stored in box.

Box is most likely in place it's been for six years.

Place it's been was previously easily accessible without waking anybody.

Place it's been is now behind a heavy (75 lb?) marble table-stand, a 6-foot tall easel, a 3-foot tall canvas, and a host of other art supplies.

"Fuck it," I say. "I'll take my chances that Pokémon Y won't ask for Internet until the second or third town, just like BW1."

Pop in Pokémon Y.

Turn it on.

(Paraquote) "Before you can play this software, a system upgrade must be installed. Would you like to install it now?"

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-

In better news, the first game I actually popped in wasn't Y but was in fact DOA: Dimensions. For a fighter on a handheld, it's great. For a fighter on a handheld. ^_^; Controls are rather finicky and thus much of the early success I've had has felt like the result of button mashing. I also miss the six-button gamepad layout of the XBox Original's controller. The white button saw so much, so much use when I played DOA games. Anyway, it looks like I'll have fun with it later, but for now I'd rather be playing Pokémon Y.

As for friend code stuff, I'm still quite overwhelmed by all of the wifi stuff the 2DS offers. Not even sure if I need to create a Mii first or not. (Haven't bothered yet.)

Is there any way either to remove the ugly yellow warning triangle on the Home Page or else to relocate it to a way later position in the list? I hate seeing it in first place all the time. Drives me crazy, especially knowing that the Wii didn't do that. (The game disc channel was first!)
Old 11-29-2013, 09:43 AM   #129
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
1 WTF. This had better be a first time only thing!

2 I was told a long time ago to always let rechargeable batteries fully charge before their first use. I remember the DS Lite specifying this as well. So yeah, turning it on right now is not an option.
It's a first time thing only.

I think I let it charge for an hour the first time and then turned it on with the power cable still connected. No problems came of that, but you do what you feel comfortable with.

And yes friend codes for everyone!
Old 11-29-2013, 09:47 AM   #130
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
More Misadventures of Talon:

Spoiler: show
Get opportunity to set up 2DS and play from ~7:00am until {beyond the present; probably 10am; for reference, it's nearly 9am right now}.

Don't remember router information for parents' wireless router.

Information is stored in box.

Box is most likely in place it's been for six years.

Place it's been was previously easily accessible without waking anybody.

Place it's been is now behind a heavy (75 lb?) marble table-stand, a 6-foot tall easel, a 3-foot tall canvas, and a host of other art supplies.

"Fuck it," I say. "I'll take my chances that Pokémon Y won't ask for Internet until the second or third town, just like BW1."

Pop in Pokémon Y.

Turn it on.

(Paraquote) "Before you can play this software, a system upgrade must be installed. Would you like to install it now?"

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF-

In better news, the first game I actually popped in wasn't Y but was in fact DOA: Dimensions. For a fighter on a handheld, it's great. For a fighter on a handheld. ^_^; Controls are rather finicky and thus much of the early success I've had has felt like the result of button mashing. I also miss the six-button gamepad layout of the XBox Original's controller. The white button saw so much, so much use when I played DOA games. Anyway, it looks like I'll have fun with it later, but for now I'd rather be playing Pokémon Y.

As for friend code stuff, I'm still quite overwhelmed by all of the wifi stuff the 2DS offers. Not even sure if I need to create a Mii first or not. (Haven't bothered yet.)

Is there any way either to remove the ugly yellow warning triangle on the Home Page or else to relocate it to a way later position in the list? I hate seeing it in first place all the time. Drives me crazy, especially knowing that the Wii didn't do that. (The game disc channel was first!)
Double-posting a go go! Talon you're too fast.

The Pokémon Internet connection thing is asked to do because it downloads a patch that fixes a bug that can corrupt your save file if you save in certain parts of a certain city in the game. So getting the 1.1 patch is totally worth it.

As for the menu icons, you can move them around by dragging them, just like on the Wii. I think it's a system update that also allows you to create folders that you can name and stuff for even easier dealing with all your icons (I stuck all the warning and such icons into a folder and threw the folder two screens to the right, I never have to see it if I don't absolutely want to).
Old 11-29-2013, 02:52 PM   #131
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

@Kaisap: Yes, but the system update and the X/Y patch are two completely separate things- You have to manually download the patch from the e-shop, and not having it doesn't prevent you from playing.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 03:17 PM   #132
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindrindra View Post
@Kaisap: Yes, but the system update and the X/Y patch are two completely separate things- You have to manually download the patch from the e-shop, and not having it doesn't prevent you from playing.
This.

So after my last post, my dad woke up and grumpily helped search for the box. An offhand comment he made half an hour later led me to discover the box's contents in a drawer we'd previously searched. They apparently chucked the box. ~_~ Anyway, I still haven't gotten to input any WiFi info into the 2DS: hawks everywhere. But everyone minus me has plans to go out here in a second, so ...

I already have my Pokémon Y name picked out. Though crap, I forgot about my starter. @_@ Guess I'll brainstorm that now.
Old 11-29-2013, 08:07 PM   #133
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

I liked that the 3DS/2DS shops now also have Netflix and Youtube and a mobile phone web browser. Now I don't have to watch videos on my 360 while playing games on my 2DS. I can instead game on my 360 and watch videos on my 2DS.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games