Old 09-19-2016, 03:39 PM   #2226
Mercutio
Banned

Wtf is Pepé the Frog
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 05:24 PM   #2227
Stealthy
A New and Original Person

A dank frog meme. No, the other dank frog meme.
Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:01 PM   #2228
deoxys
Fog Badge

Oh sweet summer child.

Anyway, nobody gave a shit about Pepe until the Clinton camp saw an opportunity to use it against Trump. Then Clinton camp puts out a presser about Pepe and how it's racist and suddenly the media erupts talking about how Pete is a white nationalist symbol because the Clinton camp told them it was.

It's actually fucking disgusting how blatantly obvious it is that the Clinton camp is using the media to push it's narrative and this particular story is a perfect example. Even fucking Rachel Maddow did a whole segment about Pepe and how dangerous of a symbol he supposedly is. Give me a fucking break, he's a fucking cartoon frog meme that people have been using FOR YEARS. No one gave a fuck about it until Clinton did, and now the media wants you to think that anyone who posts Pepe memes is a closet white supremacist.

The actuality of this is that it's just another meme that had origins on 4chan that people embraced and /pol/ and /r/The_Donald in particular ran with it. Then some infamously known white supremacists and an organization who call themselves "Alt Right" picked it up and ran with it because a. it's funny, to anyone, and b. To try to be 'hip' and 'cool' to attract young Trump members.

It's almost like it's just a fucking meme that anyone can post because this is the internet. What's next, Harambe memes make you sexist and oppressive for saying "Dicks out for Harambe"?

Last edited by deoxys; 09-19-2016 at 09:12 PM.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:36 PM   #2229
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Umm ... this is pretty bizarre. The Pepe meme has always been one of my least favorites (he's so darn ugly >_<), but to say that he's a symbol of the white supremacist movement ... I mean, I guess you can say that if you want to go down the rabbit hole that 4chan is a hangout for white supremacists ... (Torn between "You're not wrong ... " and "hahaha oh please ".)

The problem is that even if the Pepe meme is popular with white supremacists, it has been used for years by a majority who are not white supremacists. Just the other day at work, a young coworker of mine who is one of the sweetest, nicest guys you'll ever meet said to me, "Feels bad man" and gave a knowing laugh. This would be the tenth time he's done so since we started working together. He's a long-time Reddit user, but I'm not even sure he picked Pepe up from there. Myself, I've seen Pepe on Facebook over five years ago, I've seen Pepe on Imgur, I've seen Pepe here on UPN I'm pretty sure ... This coworker of mine, he's a really nice guy, verifiably not a white supremacist ... he's liberal, he enjoys the company of non-white coworkers of ours, he's not a skinhead, he has no tattoos or other stereotypes you might associate with white supremacists ... But yeah, he makes Pepe meme jokes.

I mention this coworker only by way of recent anecdote. But my point remains that a majority of the people I have encountered who use the Pepe meme are people like my coworker, people like Deo, people like ... "nice people who enjoy the nice and silly side of 4chan while rejecting the dark and ugly side of it," if that makes any sense. I don't personally care for the meme. But that's only because the art is so ugly. I have never once thought the meme offensive. And before tonight I had never once heard it said that Pepe is a mascot of white national supremacists.

Stephanopoulos has come across as a Democrat shill for years now, but this really seals the deal for me. I was never a regular watcher, but I must have watched dozens of episodes of his Sunday morning TV program when I was in high school. My memories of the show, from the late '90s and early 2000s, are all positive. But now, I don't even want to entertain the thought of watching his show again. The Pepe situation brings to light that: at best, he's a shoddy journalist who can't conduct a basic investigation; at worst, he's on the DNC payroll and places personal advancement before journalistic integrity.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:52 PM   #2230
RealMrGame10
CAN'T BELIEVE KH3 IS HERE

tbh we need to start including meme education in our high school curriculum

WHEN YOU WALK AWAY

D- Ref on PASBL
(PASBL squad!)
Let's go WILD
I will battle for cheap

lol who knows
RealMrGame10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:03 PM   #2231
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
The Pepe situation brings to light that: at best, he's a shoddy journalist who can't conduct a basic investigation; at worst, he's on the DNC payroll and places personal advancement before journalistic integrity.
So I went ahead and did my own light investigation ... and found the following:
  • yes, Pepe is now associated by many with white supremacists (wtf)
  • no, this is not old -- this is in fact very, very new
My light research shows that as recently as 2015, Pepe was still what we've always known him to be. Apparently at the time 4chan was going through a Pepe phase where, for whatever reason, they decided to joke that Pepe comics were like trading cards and thus the rarely-seen ones were "rares", never-before-seen ones "ultra rares", etc. Apparently this phase peaked when Buzzfeed (sigh ) decided to get in on the fun and posted 1,200 Pepe comics on their site. According to the Internet, this was the impetus which paved the way towards the Neo Nazi-fication of Pepe. Apparently the neo Nazis on 4chan were pissed off that Pepe had gone mainstream (uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, dudes, he's been Internet mainstream for years) and so they made some sort of concerted effort to "reclaim" Pepe, by way of Nazi-fying him and making him generally unpalatable to ordinary people. So goes the story I've found, anyway. This "reclamation project" ... took place just this year, in 2016. So Pepe has been a "symbol of the white supremacist movement," if he even is that, for no more than nine months.

So on the one hand, hats off to Stephanopolous's team for being more in the know than I was that, yes indeed, neo Nazis have laid claim to poor Pepe.

But on the other hand, hat right back off because wtf, George: basic research should've shown you that this was a meme that's been enjoyed by millions of children and young adults for literally going on ten years now. Claiming he's a symbol of neo Nazis, just because they want to make him their symbol, is bad. Decrying that people who share Pepe memes are white supremacists is like decrying that people who have 卍 manji symbols on their East Asian property are neo Nazis.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:24 PM   #2232
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
and so they made some sort of concerted effort to "reclaim" Pepe, by way of Nazi-fying him and making him generally unpalatable to ordinary people. So goes the story I've found, anyway. This "reclamation project" ... took place just this year, in 2016. So Pepe has been a "symbol of the white supremacist movement," if he even is that, for no more than nine months.
And without doing any research whatsoever on this but having been around the internet block enough times to have seen this garbage over and over, I guaran-fucking-tee you it was an ironic /pol/ idea as a form of backlash against 'normies' picking up on Pepe and his going mainstream. However, half of the people probably didn't realize it was a joke, and jumped the bandwagon in a serious manner. It's the natural cycle of 4chan and similar internet subcultures (another example that immediately comes to mind is ShitRedditSays when it first got big, as it was a mixed bag of trolls, ironic shitposters, and eventually actual hardcore feminists/"SJWs").

Because the truth is /pol/ is, and this is a rough estimate, half parody, half ironic, half actual white supremacist. So basically 4chan in a nutshell.

Even if there is some truth to the white supremacist movement picking up and running with the meme for their own nefarious reasons, going on the offensive and using it against Trump and attacking his son for jokingly posting it on his Instagram only after Hillary's camp released their little 'FAQ' about Pepe (YES THIS IS A REAL FUCKING THING) shows that they are - and dear lord do I hate the term but yeah, I think now is an appropriate time to use it - shilling for Hillary. It's almost creepy how they all go on the offensive against Pepe like the day after that press release comes out without actually doing any real research of their own. And shortly after, Pepe's wikipedia page started being altered to say that it was a symbol of the alt-right and white supremacist movement like they're trying to actually retroactively change history itself to fit their narrative, and it's been a hotly contested and edited page ever since.

I just fucking can't believe this is actually happening.
Old 09-20-2016, 07:08 AM   #2233
Connor
Flashbacker

This is outstandingly bottom of the barrel. I'm not sure you could get a dirtier contest if you put monkeys in a cage and had them fling shit at each other.
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 08:02 AM   #2234
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
Because the truth is /pol/ is, and this is a rough estimate, half parody, half ironic, half actual white supremacist. So basically 4chan in a nutshell.
It is for that reason I miss /n/.

Because the original, real News was decidedly not parody, so there were few subtle trolls trying to use unfamiliarty with international affairs for humour. /n/ was intelligent, /n/ was insightful, and /n/ was angry, hateful, and scathing. A day spent there was like taking a bath in hydrochloric acid.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 05:43 PM   #2235
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
How many of our 'Murican contingent planning on watching tonights debate? I'm considering staying up to watch it, got nothing planned for tomorrow morning.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:11 PM   #2236
Heather
Naga's Voice

My sister has to watch it, I'll just ask her if anything major happened

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheFishGuy View Post
Quoth the Honchkrow (nevermore!).
Fizzy Member Post: Catherine Park
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:14 PM   #2237
Stealthy
A New and Original Person

I think I'm gonna enjoy it. Mainly because, if I watch it, I'm gonna try to make a drinking game out of it.
Stealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 06:21 PM   #2238
phoopes
Double Dragon

Planning on watching it

(aside)

at a friend's place because my cable doesn't work fuck you Comcast ugh.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:53 PM   #2239
Snorby
Snackin'

My family and I are gonna watch it, along with Colbert's live show afterward.

Click on Fawful for my ASB squad summary. Other links coming soon.
Snorby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:56 PM   #2240
deoxys
Fog Badge

Reminder that Stop and Frisk actually did lead to police racially profiling, which made minorities more hostile and was one of the things that pushed us to where we are today as a country.

This story on reddit the other day highlights this problem as a perfect example. Of course, it is reddit, so it's possible it's not a real story either, but it's unfortunately not that hard to believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddit
I want to tell y'all a story. I am an attorney in New York City, and I used to teach criminal procedure / evidence elective classes to highschoolers in the Bronx as a pro bono project. We all know about stop and frisk, know it's probably unconstitutional, and at it is now technically a dead policy.

I was teaching a class of 25 students (about 20 male, all black or Hispanic) about searches and seizures, and I wanted to use the random searches they conduct in subways as a vehicle for discussion. So I asked, "have any of you been searched by a police officer in the last year in the subway?"

All 25 of them raised their hands. Most of them stated that they had been searched multiple times, some said dozens of times in the last year. These kids were like, 13-15 years old. I have lived in New York City for three years. I am white. I have never been searched. The two white lawyers with me have never been searched, both have lived here longer.

What do you think that does to a kid, to their perception of the world, and police, and their rights and their autonomy, that at 13-15 years old, that police have patted them down and gone through their backpack on the way to school, that police do that to all their friends, that it happens on a weekly or monthly basis? How fucked is that?
Old 09-26-2016, 09:06 PM   #2241
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I wonder if a big part of that has to do with police less likely to patrol white neighborhoods, too.

This is related to something I wanted to discuss, but didn't have enough material for a topic - gentrification of the urban inner city. It's basically the reverse of "white flight", which seems to be something that only happened in the postwar period of the 40's and 50's. And I think, on the whole, it's bad for minorities as it displaces them from easy access to low paying jobs.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 09:19 PM   #2242
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

I just tuned into the debates and I already want off of Donald Trump's wild ride.

Also, we pay 73% of NATO, and that's bad if you ignore the influence being the biggest fuckoff military power in the alliance conveys.

EDIT: and now they're having a screaming argument about Donald Trump's stance on Iraq. With the moderator.

EDIT EDIT: As if Donald Trump gave the initial declaration of war more than three seconds of thought either way.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:23 PM   #2243
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

I think I would do an all-caps "review" of the next debates like I do for E3, but I'm not sure my willingness to live could survive trying to make fun of the potential leaders of the free world and still being unable to one-up reality.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:26 PM   #2244
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastoise View Post
I think I would do an all-caps "review" of the next debates like I do for E3, but I'm not sure my willingness to live could survive trying to make fun of the potential leaders of the free world and still being unable to one-up reality.
With how the debate forum has been lately, it would be a breath of fresh air to be honest.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:31 PM   #2245
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

And Trump's back on the "we pay to protect the world for no return" schtick.

You know, there's an argument to be made for how we throw so much money at the US military that it makes us incredibly cavalier about military force in ways that we shouldn't, but the idea that we have armies stationed in other countries (that could probably stomp their host nations into the dirt or at least give them a solid drubbing) with the assertion that it doesn't give us any sort of influence or realpolitik power is literally psyduck.jpg
Old 09-26-2016, 09:43 PM   #2246
Blastoise
We deny our creators.

And now the six-figure salary talking heads on CBS are clutching pearls about how Trump and Hillary called each other bad names.

Fuck everything.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:58 PM   #2247
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

I'll keep this brief because none of you care what I think :^)

First off, I wanna say that I'm going to lean towards Trump as the winner of this debate - he was very well prepared for the kinds of accusations thrown at him by Hillary.

THIS IS NOT TO SAY that I am unequivocally a Trump supporter. Believe me, I saw the things that Hillary did well. I clashed with my (Republican) mother over it.

I was also let down multiple times by Trump who continues to be too cautious for my liking.

The Donald's rhetoric was generally top-tier with a few slip-ups as he softened his language in ways I really didn't approve of (Birtherism defense was an absolute fucking farce, way to go Trump - and the speech about Law and Order definitely missed the mark). He went after Hillary hard, and forced her verbally onto the defensive. His language, though rough and aggressive, sets verbal traps for Hillary (and that biased trash moderator - that was shameful, you're supposed to remain impartial and as the night wore on you could tell more and more that he took Hillary's side - which Trump not only predicted before the debates but is actually using to his advantage to become an underdog candidate).

Hillary, on the other hand, had very solid speeches that neatly sidestepped many of Trump's traps.

Trump came out on top not because his rhetoric was better (Hillary won on that front) but because he came out of the debate mostly clean. Hillary now has egg on her face about:

1. Her actions as Secretary of State
2. Her political record
3. Her husband's political record
4. Her campaign staff and their actions (that Debbie Wasserman Shultz thing STUNG)
5. Her capacity to lead

You can argue all you want that she was able to counter those accusations but the simple fact of the matter is that she did not do so well enough.

Now, to be fair, Donald's still not doing well on the racist front, and Clinton's gotten significantly bolder with those accusations. He's been deflecting, and theoretically he should be choosing a moment to strike, but I had thought that this debate would be that time. He's got a month to convince the country he's not racist...

That said I'm fairly certain that the black vote is going to be heavily contested and I love seeing a Republican with a chance among black voters. Such a breath of fresh are to see a Republican candidate that actually cares about minorities - and is willing to contest that caring on the national stage. Love him or hate him, it's hard to deny that Trump isn't at least trying to make a good case for himself as a good President for minorities.

(You can see a similar thing happening in 2008 to the minority accusations this debate btw: Obama claimed McCain was too close to Bush, and Trump is trying to associate Clinton with Obama with all the bad things that happened during the Obama Administration).
Old 09-26-2016, 10:00 PM   #2248
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

NOVEMBER 8TH COMES FASTER THAN YOU THINK. IT'S NOT ENOUGH JUST TO SAY YOU'RE GOING TO VOTE.

FIND YOUR POLLING PLACE ASAP. MAKE SURE YOU'RE THERE AND VOTING WHEN THE TIME COMES.

THIS IS YOUR VOICE, REPRESENTED ON THE NATIONAL SCALE. IF YOU MISS OUT ON YOUR CHANCE TO HAVE A SAY IN THE WAY THIS COUNTRY IS RUN, I WILL FIND YOU AND I WILL BREAK YOUR KNEECAPS.

PEOPLE DREAM OF HAVING THIS KIND OF POLITICAL OPPORTUNITY.

VOTE
Old 09-26-2016, 10:03 PM   #2249
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post

VOTE
(Just not for Trump)
Old 09-26-2016, 10:17 PM   #2250
Snorby
Snackin'

*weeps openly over inability to vote*

Click on Fawful for my ASB squad summary. Other links coming soon.
Snorby is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Debate