UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 02-02-2012, 12:24 PM   #26
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
>FF7 haters

Yeah there are a lot. Just to clarify, I don't hate the game. It was my first real rpg too. The combat and levelling systems are solid etc etc. I just really don't understand the hype, it's not even one of my top five FF's let alone games overall.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:38 PM   #27
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
Also, is it weird that I never played it, but I saw Advent Children and played this gem?:
Thats a gem? I heard is mediocre at best. No one could pay me to watch AC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
It's not just you. Lindsay is totally right that there are a lot of FF7 haters out there, and I agree with her that most of them are just doing it to try and sound cool, but ... at the same time, I agree with you that those haters are still in the minority. And that there's a very vocal majority out there who think that FF7 was the second coming of Christ.
Post a picture of FFVII's logo or box on /v/ and watch the flames or rage fly! Of course even on there it has its defenders. Thats just an extreme example of the trolling I see for the game on the web. There are subtle jabs and dismissings on more sane message boards. Maybe the hates mellowed down over the years but its out there and so are its defenders. VII's stuck in a tough spot. The first 3D FF making it so "crude" that it can't stand up to the ones that followed, the first one after VI which so many love, the first not on a Nintendo system, and so on.
  • 東方 (Touhou): 1,178,339
  • ポケモン (Pokemon): 253,933

btw a couple of your numbers were off! I don't find it strange for VII to have the most fanarts. Only X and XIII have had significant sequels, XII had a handheld spinoff or something? VII otoh has lots of different releases and stuff to keep its mindshare high!
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:21 PM   #28
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
Post a picture of FFVII's logo or box on /v/
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand she reveals where she's getting her head-on-backwards impressions from. Lindsay, if you post anything remotely popular on 4chan, it's going to get trolled to hell and back. They hated Touhou (which is why the Touhou fans all congregated on Pooshlmer back in '05), they hate Naruto and Bleach, they hate Twilight, they'll hate anything that is remotely popular. And they'll hate it with the silly over-the-top intensity that only teenage boys and man-children can. This is why saying "/v/ hates FF7, therefore FF7 must be the least popular FF" is not good reasoning. Just like my tour of Pixiv does not reveal all of the haters, neither does your tour of /v/ reveal all the love: of course all the hatred is going to stand out on 4chan, it's a cesspool absolutely brimming with the stuff!

Quote:
VII's stuck in a tough spot. The first 3D FF making it so "crude" that it can't stand up to the ones that followed, the first one after VI which so many love, the first not on a Nintendo system, and so on.
I think that it's all in your imagination if you believe VII's stuck in a tough spot. Despite all the factors you just listed off, FF7 is still the highest-selling Final Fantasy of all time. Quoth the Wiki:
Quote:
Final Fantasy VII has sold more than 9.5 million copies worldwide, earning it the position of the best-selling Final Fantasy title.
How you can sit there and say "Poor FF7! Alas! If only you had been released on the SNES! Or if only you hadn't been the first 3D Final Fantasy! Perhaps then you would have been better loved!" is baffling. FF7 is so well-loved in part precisely because it was the first 3D Final Fantasy and, much like Ocarina of Time (the first 3D Zelda) and Mario64 (the first 3D Mario) have been heralded by many as the best titles in their respective franchises, so too are the nostalgia glasses absolutely blinding with FF7 as fans not unlike yourself look back on the game and say, "My! But these graphics haven't aged a day! They've held quite nicely, wouldn't you agree? " when to anyone else looking at FF7's graphics they're as painful to look at as Resident Evil 1's or Dark Forces'.

Now, as we both know, FF7's enduring appeal has more to do with its story and gameplay than its graphics, but I'm just saying: FF7 is in the same club as Mario64 and OoT, yet you act like it's the Mario Sunshine of the FF family. In fact, FF7's popularity as "the first 3D Final Fantasy" is I think part of the reason why FF6 fanboys' asses get so chapped by FF7 fanboys' enthusiasm for FF7.

Quote:
  • 東方 (Touhou): 1,178,339
  • ポケモン (Pokemon): 253,933

btw a couple of your numbers were off!
Thanks for catching this. Pixiv's search engine was acting up last night, it seems. At the time, I thought it was only affecting my search results for the Final Fantasy series, because that was where I noticed it, but it seems it affected all of my searches. (For instance, FF12 was originally returning only 60 hits. Then later on, when I found FF13's hits, I searched for FF12 again and that second time it returned the figure I reported in the post above.) Dunno what happened. Maybe server maintenance? I dunno. I'll recompile the list then.
  • Touhou: 1,228,241
  • Pokemon: 313,459
  • FF7: 14,708
  • Zelda: 14,599
  • Street Fighter: 14,021
  • FF6: 8,548
  • Phoenix Wright: 7,991
  • Professor Layton: 5,354
  • FF13: 4,797
  • FF8: 3,188
  • FF12: 1,540
See? The search engine seems a bit wonky. *sigh* Which may mean that Pixiv isn't the best index then after all. 'Cause how do you go from having 14,710 FF7 pictures to only having 14,708? How do you lose two pictures? I guess two submissions might have been deleted for violating the Terms of Service, but ... Then there's FF12, which mysteriously gained 162 results in between last night and today. Really? I'd believe that for the Pixiv juggernauts of Touhou and Pokemon, but for FF12, for whom 162 pictures would be an over 10% increase, that's a bit hard to believe. *sigh* Oh well. If you're willing to accept the crudeness of these search results and to say, "While I may not trust the exact figures, I do trust that they offer an overall decent representation of the popularity of the franchises on Pixiv," then we still have FF7 weighing in quite high at 3rd Place. No idea what on earth happened to my search results last night for Pokemon and Touhou. Maybe I accidentally clicked on "show only illustrations" or something instead of "show all." (Doubtful. But you never know ... misclicks can and do happen from time to time ... )

This new list does make much more sense though. Touhou's swelled from a respectable 60,000 to a gargantuan 1,000,000+ which is what we'd expect given how ri-goddamn-diculous the volume of Touhou fanart is. Pokemon's number also makes sense to me as a long-time Pixiv user since I've always noticed that it seems to be the second most popular franchise on Pixiv (second only to Touhou) of the franchises I follow. Though ... I have to confess I'm a little shocked to see that the other entries' numbers didn't change all that much. I have no idea why Touhou and Pokemon inflated so much but not the rest of them. Also, it surprises me to see that FF7 has so little fanart next to Pokemon when you consider the sheer volume of Tifa Lockheart adult fanart alone. Oh well, whatever.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:43 PM   #29
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand she reveals where she's getting her head-on-backwards impressions from.
Oh c'mon I cited saner message board trolling to.

Quote:
I think that it's all in your imagination if you believe VII's stuck in a tough spot. Despite all the factors you just listed off, FF7 is still the highest-selling Final Fantasy of all time.
The fact that its the best selling itself is another problem some people cry over!

Quote:
See? The search engine seems a bit wonky. *sigh* Which may mean that Pixiv isn't the best index then after all.
No place where its up to the users to properly tag things can be a great index. Many characters and series have different tags for the same thing! Its all so bloated much like any -booru. btw .hack has 2069 images so I'ma knock FFXII off your list ^.^
Old 02-02-2012, 05:42 PM   #30
Lady Kuno
The hostess with the mostess

Quote:
btw .hack has 2069 images so I'ma knock FFXII off your list ^.^
Poor FFXII. That game gets no love. I like it more than VII but people have the nostalgia for VII so hard. I think that's why a lot of people go anti-VII. There are many other FF games that are just as good/better but people get obsessed with the VII. It has the worst fanboys for sure. I thought VII was great but it's not in my top three.

PROUD OWNER OF A MISSINGNO. IN FIZZY BUBBLES
Lady Kuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:22 PM   #31
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I first played FFVII in college, 2005. Was not impressed then, as I'd been living the years preceding it on Baldur's Gate and anime had already covered a lot of the stock characters, situations and tropes. Not to mention I worked in RPG Maker from 2003-2005, so I was intimately familiar with its twists, such as Cloud's memories and Aeris dying.

On top of that, as a person who has never owned a console, I've never been through the experience of buying a new console with a unique premier game (Playstation - FFVII, N64 - Super Mario 64, XBox - Halo) and in fact watching this effect and the rose-tinted glasses that ship free have sort of made me condescending toward it. :p

I think Lindsay is imagining the perceived criticism toward it, though. Most people love FFVII but the fans are super defensive of it and it hasn't aged well enough to be considered a classic.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:17 AM   #32
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

I was really impressed by FF VII when I first played it, and though I was impressed by the graphical upgrades in FF VIII but was turned off by Squalls exceptional whinyness- it felt like I was having to drag the protagonist through the game kicking and screaming. Then came FF IX and it totally stole my heart. I'm still a fan of FF VII and respect its place as an innovator, but IX was the FF peak to me.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:49 AM   #33
Jerichi
プラスチック♡ラブ

I played it for a while a few years back and got extremely bored within the first hour of gameplay.

I dunno, it's probably a great game but I feel like there's a lot of nostalgia goggles associated with it.

私のことを消して本気で愛さないで 恋なんてただのゲーム 楽しめばそれでいい
閉ざした心を飾る 派手なドレスも靴も 孤独の友達

asbwffb

[jerichi]
Jerichi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:23 PM   #34
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Disc 2 Complete! It took 5 hours, 36 minutes so about 3 hours shorter then Disc 1 but 10x more epic!

Hoping to wrap it up today!
Old 02-08-2012, 09:10 PM   #35
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Finished on monday an here's my results!

14 hours, 27 minutes was the last time I could open the menu. The following four boss battles prolly took 20 some minutes ta get through so gameplay wise I finished at around the 15 hour mark. Pretty short game for an epic rpg that was years in the making huh? ^.^
Old 02-10-2012, 08:01 PM   #36
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
As I need something else to play to slow my relentless march through Mass Effect 2 down (so I don't finish it too long before the third one comes out next month), I've decided to give this game another go, and my keep this thread partially updated on my exploits out of why-the-hell-not-itis.

EDIT the first: I tried, I really did, but I just couldn't bring myself to care enough.

Last edited by Concept; 02-13-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:25 PM   #37
Amras.MG
Not sure if gone...

I am been watching the Final Fantasy 7 BOOTLEG [playlist] mod the last couple of days, and I am really impressed by this game. I think it's great. Makes me really wish I could actually play it myself, instead of having to rely on watching a playthrough.
Amras.MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:29 PM   #38
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

So aside from blasting through the game last year I also did an "ironman" no-save playthrough. There were a couple points I nearly game over'd but I made it through no prob.

I also played Ergheiz to unlock all the FFVII characters an beat the game with Zack!

Then played Crisis Core for the second time ever and using a guide found a whole lotsa stuff I missed the first time through an got a new found appreciation for it.

I finally let go of my silly stubborn streak an watched Advent Children. It didn't come close to the bias I'd built up against it. Not a bad movie. It didn't ruin the characters (except Tifa's chest) nor any pre-established stuffs I can think of offhand. Haven't seen the "Complete" version but maybe I'll see if I can't change that someday.

Lastly I gave Dirge of Cerberus a shot. Had I known it was a 3rd person shooter I never would've... but since I only figured that out after starting the game an investing in the story I kinda had ta keep going! Not my kind of game but the story, new characters, an stuff was mostly alright. The redesigned Chaos was just plain awful though! Sucks about the cliffhanger ending. Even worse is all the story stuff Square cut from the game when bringing it to the west and that they cut a chapter out just to sell it as a cellphone game >.>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amras.MG View Post
I am been watching the Final Fantasy 7 BOOTLEG [playlist] mod the last couple of days, and I am really impressed by this game. I think it's great. Makes me really wish I could actually play it myself, instead of having to rely on watching a playthrough.
That uhhh sure is a thing? Looks pretty horrid imo.

Quote:
Thats a gem? I heard is mediocre at best. No one could pay me to watch AC!
I'd say I ate those words but I didn't get paid so~

Last edited by Lindz; 02-15-2013 at 11:31 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games