UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 10-26-2007, 09:32 AM   #26
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Re: Kaiji -Ultimate Survivor-

Awright, check out this page I made a little while ago for reference (ignore the scoring page, you don't have to worry about that yet)

http://members.shaw.ca/thesweenz/mahjong.html

And just practice making those legally configured hands (4 groups of 3 tiles that are either three of a kinds or straights, plus one pair), and then for your han limit go for something easy like All Simples or Pong of Dragons. Once you get the hang of making a legally configured hand with at least one han, you can start going for bigger hands.

Playing Hong Kong style to train is actually okay too since you can win without having a han; all you need is that legal configuration. But if you play Japanese there are a few more rules you need to remember.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:22 PM   #27
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Still working on that Naruto response, but I saw this by chance on ANN and offer it as further proof of why ANN is a worthless site beyond the community contributed content.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:34 PM   #28
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I also saw that review. Only read the last bit (to see the score justification). Conclusion reached: he's a moron.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:18 PM   #29
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Kaiji Gambling Manga Gets 2nd TV Anime Series

APRIL 6, 2011. MARK YOUR CALENDARS. ^________^
Old 01-27-2011, 12:53 AM   #30
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

My jaw dropped.

brb, I need to pick it up off the floor.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 01-27-2011, 05:47 AM   #31
McSweeney
Soul Badge

YEAHHH MOTHER BITCHES.

I've resisted the temptation of reading the manga at all, just so I can see it for the first time in enhanced anime form without spoilers! All those years I held out hope, knowing that it would be made ... some day!

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 03-31-2011, 10:32 PM   #32
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

With all the Alternative play, things seem pretty lonely around these parts. Well, this might liven the place.

Kaiji teaser.

What immediately strikes me are what appear to be higher production values. Kaiji isn't an expensive anime to make, but it's still nice to see it has sharp colours like it does in that trailer. Maybe Mikoko won't look quite so ugly in the anime.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-06-2011, 12:45 AM   #33
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

The first episode of the second season has aired and a subbed version is out. Of course, I watched it.

I'm slightly disappointed Kaiji didn't learn anything from the first season. After going through what he did, I figured he would've learned something, rather than reverting back to the same way he was when the first season started. Maybe I just need to be patient.

Also, the ED is awesome.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:07 AM   #34
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Gonna wait for the Triad release. Nutbladder's being dumb.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-06-2011, 07:14 AM   #35
Talon87
時の彼方へ

I'll also be waiting for TheTriad. "This town ain't big enough for the two of us" comes to mind. For some anime, it's like "Whatever!" But for some anime like Haruhi S2 (a.f.k.) or Kaiji S2 (TheTriad), it feels very true. Doesn't help matters that apparently Nutbladder's TL has a reputation for not even being average but being pretty bad vs. Triad's incredibly good TL for Kaiji S1.

EDIT: was going to download the Nutbladder release so I could check it for bbb (as well as myself: don't like to knock a TL if I haven't seen his work personally) but apparently Nutbladder is the dumbest group ever. They:
  • rushed a broken release
  • fixed it after the fact
  • posted links to the fixes -- which you have to run manually
  • note: multiple such manual fixes
  • and didn't realize, "Hey! We should probably post an official v2 ourselves" like, oh I dunno, EVERY OTHER FANSUBBING GROUP ON THE PLANET DOES
So I said "Fuck this shit " and passed. Maybe once I see a v2 I'll go get it. But until then, yikes: this is one dumb fansubbing group. For their sake, I hope their translator isn't as dumb as their editor or project leader (whoever it is that greenlighted this release).

Last edited by Talon87; 04-06-2011 at 08:33 AM.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:43 PM   #36
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Hmm. Get a load of this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by one guy on Triad's blog post
omg the nutbladder subs are BAD.

First sentence kaiji says is already 100% wrong. omg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by different guy on Triad's blog post
I haven't watched any anime in a few years (basically since Kaiji 1 ended) so I don't really know anything about current active subbing groups but... on the subject of Nutbladder's subs:

Let's look at something simple, easy, and definite: numbers.

At 1:41 "六百六十八万" is quite easily heard. However, their subtitles have this translated as "6.8 million." Then at 2:51 "千万" is translated as "hundred thousand."

From this I'm guessing that more often than not they get "close" and then they have a few moments where they completely miss the mark.
For the record, 六百六十八万 is 668 ten thousand (the Japanese read things in four-zero units, not three-zero units like we do), or 6.68 million. 千万 is 1000 ten thousand, or 10 million.

I'm not as upset by numerical errors as I am by grammatical ones (though I can see why for some these would be even more grievous since (a) Kaiji is at times all about the numbers, e.g. the scope of his debt and (b) numbers are black-and-white cut-and-dry easy to translate so it's pretty damning if you can't even get those right.

BBB, I'd encourage you to join us in watching TheTriad's releases. You're your own man, though, so do what you gotta do. But it sounds like you're in bad hands with these Nutella Nutbladder people.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:18 PM   #37
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I'm pretty sure Nutbladder's out to try and steal Triad's E-Peen because of Kaiji gaining a reputation among youngsters of being a "mature" title in comparison to something like Infinite Stratos and Index.

It pisses me off, because way back when, nobody tried to upstage Triad, out of respect and a lack of translators. It's like when Haruhi first came out, a.f.k. was THE translator for it, but for Haruhi II, other translators stepped in because a.f.k. supposedly disappeared.

That their translation is rushed and full of errors just makes it worse.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 04-07-2011 at 12:27 AM.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:12 AM   #38
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

It's not really a big deal to me either way. On one hand, unless the translation error is large, I generally don't notice, and even bad subbers do give the gist of what's going on. Besides, even if they don't, I wouldn't know. Ignorance is bliss.

On the other, I'm in no hurry to watch it. It's not like watching Kaiji a few days later will kill me. Besides, I think it'd be nice to watch when the other members are watching.

I'll give it some thought. I'm fine with either Triad or Nutbladder.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:35 AM   #39
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Well, The Triad said that they were coming out of retirement to sub season 2, but I just checked their website and they haven't said anything since. If they still haven't updated by Sunday, I'll have no choice but to download this Nutbladder nonsense.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 04-09-2011, 10:39 AM   #40
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Last night, a friend of mine asked me if I'd already seen the new ending sequence for Kaiji. He'd thought I had and was ready to launch into discussing it when I surprised him with my negative response. "What? I would have thought you of all people would have already seen it." My friend doesn't care for Kaiji (and won't be watching S2 with us) but he knows I liked it a lot and he knows I've been quite excited for Season 2.

So he loaded it up on his computer and I got to watch it last night. And all I can say is: wow.

Just wow. She is painful to look at, but that makes the ending that much more hilarious. I just love that the animators are hardcore fans of the series like us and they strongly agree that ...
  1. Fukumoto can't draw faces for shit,
  2. Fukumoto hasn't drawn many women because he can't draw women, and
  3. Even as far as Fukumoto women go, Mikokoro takes the cake for HOLY FUCKING SHIT buttface ugly
The swimsuit bit is proof of this as everything else is pretty much taken straight from the manga. Although I don't remember that creepy Washizu Iwao-style tongue licking scene from when I read this chapter years ago. (Only chapter of the manga I've ever read! LOL that it showed up in the anime so soon, even if only as an ED!)

I then watched the first five minutes of Episode 01 on Veoh. (Nutbladder sub, I presume.) It's not that bad from what I could see, but yes, they do make errors here and there. I will be waiting for The Triad's subs, but (much as it pains me to admit he's right about this) bbb is right that you probably won't miss the forest for the trees if you decide to go ahead with Nutbladder. You should still pretty much get the gist of what's really going down.

Thoughts on those first five minutes:
Spoiler: show
1. I agree with the fans who are angry that Kaiji doesn't seem to have learned anything. In fact, he seems to have de-evolved from where he was after Human Horseracing to some sub-Kaiji level we never even saw in Season 1. He's morphed into one of the many Espoir suckers we hated: weak, delusional, desperate, and convinced that somehow the mafia owes them a chance to make millions for nothing.

2. So I can honestly say that I think he deserves what he got when they drugged him and, poor fucker, sent him off to work at the penal colony. I would not have said he deserved it in Season 1, not at all, but the way Season 2 starts off, I think he needed that reality check as a good kick in the pants. Make him realize, "Look, dude. They don't care how they get their money back so long as they get it. They don't give a shit if they make you waste fifteen years of your life doing hard labor in a penal colony. They don't care one bit if doing so not only robs you of fifteen years of your youth but also shortens your overall lifespan by an additional 5-15 years.

I stopped the moment I saw the p_ _ _ l c _ _ _ _ y because I was "HOLY SHIT "-ing at it and I decided I wanted to press forward from there with TheTriad holding my hand, not Nutbladder. But things definitely get off to a quick start in Season 2, it looks like.
Old 04-09-2011, 11:12 AM   #41
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

I had a feeling.

I had a feeling about that ED from how Talon set things up.

Hilarity ensued, but even I couldn't predict that lick scene.

Just WOW.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-10-2011, 04:07 PM   #42
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Mcsweeney, did you give in yet? I'm still holding out for Triad. I'll probably give them at least until April 14 or 15, around seven days after the raws first showed up on Tosho (which itself was two days after the episode aired).
Old 04-11-2011, 10:33 AM   #43
McSweeney
Soul Badge

All right, I'll wait that long too, but that is it. If Triad at least updated their webpage to say something like, "Yeah yeah, we're working on it, pipe down, bitches" that would be encouraging. The fact they haven't said ANYTHING might mean they won't do it at all.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 04-13-2011, 04:40 PM   #44
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Well, time's almost up ... but I think I -might- extend my stay against watching Kaiji S2 Ep01. Or at least, I'll probably watch it raw before I'll watch it with Nutbladder. Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by some Anon recently on The Triad's site-blog
lol, nutbladder translated oya as "oh really" instead of "dealer" in the 2nd episode... fools
Context matters, but assuming this guy knows what he's talking about, this is embarrassing. I myself might not have known that "oya" meant "dealer" -- because that's a niche term that you only learn through exposure. I'd have assumed it meant "boss/lord" (like it does in oyabun in the yakuza or like the homophonous ooya "landlord"). In fact, that's probably where the term came from in the first place. It makes sense since the dealer is the head, the one calling the shots. But anyway: this is bad. Really bad. I don't care for Triad's sloth and disdain for their fanbase, but I care even less for a band of /b/tards getting together and tarnishing one of the best programs in years with a highly-inaccurate speedsub.

And you just know there's going to be tons of mahjong terminology in Season 3, too. These guys cannot be trusted to sub that correctly. (Whereas The Triad has shown that they can be since it seems they've got a goddamn mahjong enthusiast for a TL, given how many of the hand names they translated correctly and explained for the audience at home.)
Old 04-13-2011, 05:18 PM   #45
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

If Kaiji's sub sucks really badly maybe #mahjong will go and sub the third season. We did it for Saki but things are kind of broken right now.

That's a pretty funny mistake, though.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 04-14-2011, 02:49 PM   #46
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Went ahead and watched episodes 01 and 02.

I decided to start with 01 subbed by Nutbladder so I could listen for errors while watching. There were tons of liberally-translated moments, but on the whole not much jumped out as being flat-out wrong. Like, there weren't any "He just translated 'banana' as 'father'! >_>" moments. It was just a lot of little things like someone saying "You want [long phrase], right?" and the Nutbladder translation was "[long phrase accurately translated]" as a statement. Or like they said "Don't do that to yourself" when what was really said was "That's no good" / "You mustn't do that" -- but given the context in which the line was spoken, their translation works. Basically ... as working translations, they're fine. As scholastic translations, they're pretty bad. But all most people are going to care about is the function, not the form, and as far as function goes they seem to reliably get the job done.

Turned off by the errors, I decided to watch episode 02 raw. But I was soon in over my head with all of the technical talk about Kaiji's newest gambling predicament. So I switched on over to Nutbladder and ...

First of all, it was the same as with Episode 01. No grievous errors, but tons of liberal translations on the grammar. Like, at 9:12 there's a line which begins "I know none of you have much money to spare" in the Nutbladder translation. This line is translated just fine ... except he never says "I know." They just injected that in. Also, he doesn't say "none of you," he says "everybody." He's including himself in this group (grammatically), but Nutbladder (grammatically)'s removed him from the group. It's just little things like these. Things which will go unnoticed by pretty much everyone here except me. So, much as it pains me to say it, ... I'd say hop on over to their site and get the first two episodes if you haven't already.

I'm not giving up on Triad completely, but I'll probably go ahead and watch this series via Nutbladder with the rest of you. It's more fun to watch it as a community, and Nutbladder actually seems to have a pretty good turn-around time, too, so we won't have to suffer those 2-3 week periods of no Kaiji like we did with Triad. Still, I'll be checking Triad's site weekly to see if they've got the newest episode(s) or not and I'll definitely watch their subs if/when they do come out.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:50 PM   #47
Talon87
時の彼方へ

As for some brief thoughts on the episodes themselves ...

Episode 01 = rage @ Kaiji until I realized that, once again, Fukumoto is doing a top-notch job of illustrating humanity. We the audience at home might rage at Kaiji, but 99.9% of us placed in his shoes would act no differently. Through Kaiji, we get to see the ugliness and the weakness of human beings. Perhaps we rage because we are so ashamed of and disgusted by the weaknesses of our own race.

Episode 02 = the action picks up here and it looks like it's going to be a fun ride. The spirit of this story arc looks like it'll be closer to Akagi or to the E-Card arc from Season 1 than it does, say, Human Horseracing. Nothing death-defying is going on here: instead, it's just people betting money which could spell the difference between Kaiji being able to escape his current predicament or being doomed to it for the rest of his natural life. However ...

(theory formed while watching episode 02)
I suspect that the game is rigged. Dunno how yet, but Ohtsuka seems like a man who's convinced that he's holding all the cards. He doesn't seem anxious about this gamble at all. In fact, his demeanor oozes that he's absolutely positive he'll be able to milk Kaiji and the other newb for all they've got. If the game were truly random, that shouldn't be the case. So ... I'm thinking that we're going to see quite a bit of drama:
(1) when Ohtsuka is dealer again,
(2) when Kaiji accepts being dealer for the first time, and
(3) in an in-between episode, presumably between two different gambling nights, where Kaiji will talk to the other newb, will ask to see his notepad, and the two of them together will figure out how the game was rigged

I could easily see this being an 8-episode arc -- which would then beg the question of how/why Kaiji S2 should only be 13 episodes long . So here's hoping that ANN is only reporting the number of confirmed episodes of Season 2 but that there are eleven to thirteen as-yet unconfirmed Season 2 episodes in the works as well. The flipside of this is that we'd only be stuck with this game through Episode 5 or 6 (I imagine) since there'll have to be at least one interim episode before we move on to pachinko, and pachinko will probably be another 5-6 episodes minimum, wrapping up Season 2 just like that (if it's a 12 or 13-er).

EDIT: Episode 02 had a really nice scrolling shot of Kaiji's serious face. Sadly, the scene began to zoom out before we got to see more of the top of his head so it's a little vertically unbalanced (sorry!), but I think it looks pretty good! Even considered making an avatar out of it. Might still do it. Who knows. Maybe one of you will beat me to it? But I thought I'd share my efforts at bringing the panning shot into one frame:

KAIJI!
Click for full-size version. (Quite large!)

Last edited by Talon87; 04-14-2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:01 AM   #48
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Didn't read any of the posts in this thread about season 2, will comment after I've seen them myself.

Looks like my patience was rewarded ... on literally the last day I was gonna wait.

http://www.nyaa.eu/?page=download&tid=206324

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 04-15-2011, 11:16 AM   #49
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

For what I think about episode 2

There might be some kind of pattern in how the die roll. I'm not completely sure, but considering how confident the store owner guys are, that's probably the case. I also think so because of their reaction when that one guy started writing down the rolls everyone made.

Oh, and I decided to get the best of both worlds. I'll watch currently with Nutbladder, but still download Triad for when I decide to rewatch the show.
Old 04-15-2011, 11:43 AM   #50
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Dang, what happened to you, Kaiji?!

Also, a friend noticed this. Check out who's sitting next to Kaiji!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 04-15-2011 at 11:58 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime