UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc

Old 09-26-2015, 11:05 AM   #1
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Look I found Zork!

http://iplayif.com/?story=http%3A%2F...%2Fzdungeon.z5

I was wondering what that silly bookmark was doing there. Clicked it and voila! It's Zork.

For the blissfully uninitiated, Zork is a text adventure game, one of the first of its kind, and features a huge and rich world described only through small paragraphs of text.

The game is incredibly complex and confusing, and it's incredibly difficult to understand what's going on or what to do next. Here are some tips:

Type Save to save and Restore to load the save. You may die a lot. It would be nice to have a save state.

Explore! This game is all about exploring your surroundings. Sometimes it can get frustrating to not be able to SEE what's happening, but you just have to remember...that's how the game was designed.

Fuck mazes

Enjoy yourself friends! I suck at this damn game so I'm going to be right along with you, trying to figure out how to not be eaten by a grue.
Old 09-26-2015, 11:46 AM   #2
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

For more interactive fiction fun.

Been a while since I've visited the IF scene, but I have fond memories of quite a few. Never did get very far in writing my own...
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 06:49 PM   #3
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Isn't this the game where you get eaten by a Grue?
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 10:43 PM   #4
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Isn't this the game where you get eaten by a Grue?
I repeatedly get eaten by a grue and then reset as sort of a pre-Zork ritual.
Old 09-27-2015, 01:48 AM   #5
Shuckle
Problematic Fave

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbluecorsola View Post
For more interactive fiction fun.

Been a while since I've visited the IF scene, but I have fond memories of quite a few. Never did get very far in writing my own...
This would make a good UPN project! PASBLstuck maybe?
Old 09-27-2015, 09:26 AM   #6
rotomotorz
Think ye can take me?

I've never been eaten by a grue. What's that?
{======|_|""T""|_|""r""|_|""a""|_|""i""|_|""n""|
/o--000'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'"`-0-0-'
Squad Summary

rotomotorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 03:46 PM   #7
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Wait, Grue are actual things? All this time I just thought the Renpy people stuck a random combination of letters in the tutorial...

*Runs off to study*

EDIT: Today I did learn stuff. Various Grue-related information under the spoiler~

Spoiler: show
Quote:
"A grue is a term for a fictional predatory monster that dwells in the dark. The word was first used as a fictional predator in Jack Vance's Dying Earth universe (described as being part "ocular bat", part "unusual hoon", and part man). Vance probably took the name from an archaic/dialectal English verb derived from a Scandinavian word meaning to feel horror, shudder (OED), now most commonly encountered in the word “gruesome” (Danish: “grufuld”, Swedish: “gruvlig”, Norwegian: “grufull”)." ~KnowYourMeme

"In the fourth Zork game, Beyond Zork, an evil being called an "Ur-grue" is introduced as the primary villain. Though similar in name, the Ur-grue is significantly different from the classic grue, being more akin to an evil god than a simple predatory monster. Again, Scandinavian and German language may account for this etymology, where the Ur- prefix is used to signify origins (for example, German Ur-ur-großvater means "great-great-grandfather"). An Ur-grue would be the mother/father of all grues, possibly the first grue, or even Great-grue." ~Wikipedia

"The version update document made a humorous reference to the “dungeon maintainers” painstakingly filling up the bottomless pits and restocking the dungeon with grues. Years later, the Zork prequel game, Zork Zero, would feature the protagonist doing exactly that: forced to use a magic device to seal up the realm’s bottomless pits that are blocking his path, he unwittingly forces out the myriad colonies of grues that have been nesting there, leaving them to wander the underground caverns searching for food." ~KnowYourMeme

"The grue's presence may have been a handy solution to a very particular problem in the game design, but it has grown far beyond being a mere gameplay convenience to become one of the chief boogiemen in the early history of video games." ~IGN

"In former days it was believed that all grues were eradicated from the face of the world during the time of Entharion the Wise, many by his own hand, and his legendary blade Grueslayer. Nonetheless old hags used to scary little children by telling them that grues lurked in bottomless pits of the Empire.

It is now known that uncountable hordes of grues escaped the blade of Entharion until they were accidentally released in 883 GUE by a peasant who would eventually become the First Dungeon Master." ~Zork Wikia

"Describes a grue glowing after a light spell has been cast on it. The player can also find a Frobozz Magic Company secret prototype "anti-grue kit" containing a grue costume which the player can use to remain among grues unharmed. " ~Zork Wikia, referencing 'Sorcerer'

"The player can see a grue and states that he/she is the first to do so, noting that it had a "fish-mouthed head, razor-sharp claws and glowing fur all over" . He can also infiltrate a literal grue convention, complete with lectures, entertainment and souvenirs. When a grue is caught in the light it spontaneously combusts. " ~Zork Wikia, referencing 'Zork: The Undiscovered Underground'

"The grue, according to scholars of the Great Underground Empire, is a sinister, lurking presence in the dark places of the earth. Its favourite diet is either adventurers or enchanters, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its extreme fear of light. No grues have ever been seen by the light of day, and only a few have been observed in their underground lairs. Of those who have seen grues, few have survived their fearsome jaws to tell the tale. Grues have sharp claws and fangs, and an uncontrollable tendency to slaver and gurgle. They are certainly the most evil-tempered of all creatures; to say they are touchy is a dangerous understatement. "Sour as a grue" is a common expression, even among themselves." ~Official Infocom Description
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.

Last edited by Kindrindra; 09-27-2015 at 04:09 PM.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 04:28 PM   #8
phoopes
Double Dragon

If you can't be bothered to click on that link you can just pop in your copy of Call of Duty: Black Ops and play on your TV.
Old 09-27-2015, 04:51 PM   #9
lilboocorsola
Dragon's Tears

Lil' Bluey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuckle View Post
This would make a good UPN project! PASBLstuck maybe?
I actually made a really short and silly game for a Kuno Contest a while ago. Would've been fun to expand it.
lilboocorsola is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > The Misc