UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON

Old 10-12-2016, 04:34 PM   #476
Escalion
Getting married! :D

Send a message via Skype™ to Escalion
The 1% won't be booted out of their Gyms no. The new update merely gives the Joey and his Rattata a fighting chance to get a Pokémon in a gym otherwise occupied by the Elite 4. Which in turn means every low level player has a chance to earn some coins that otherwise can only be bought with real money.

Edit: kinda like that yes Talon. Though it doesn't matter how much CP your Pokémon has. Never did, at least not for what you put in the Gym. The problem is you needed a Pokémon of a CP close to or higher than the lowest in the Gym to even be able to train. You MUST beat a Pokémon for the Gym to gain points that create extra defender slots. And now that they artificially create an equal playing field everyone can train to create a slot for themselves even Joey with his 200 CP Rattata vs Lance and his 2000 CP Dragonite.

Last edited by Escalion; 10-12-2016 at 04:41 PM.
Escalion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 04:41 PM   #477
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
I got that, so maybe I'm misunderstanding something else. I thought that when your team controlled a gym and you wanted to join as one of the defenders, you had to have higher CP than the lowest rung on the ladder. I then thought that this update was taking that away, the pro and the con both being that everyone can now partake in gym defense. On re-reading Esca's description, I think I see where I went wrong. It sounds like you can train against weaker versions of your gym's monsters, and that the credentials to be a Gym Defender still haven't changed -- you gotta have at least as much CP as the lowest rung guy or else you can't become one.

Seems like a scenario in which everyone wins. The 1% aren't about to be dethroned by Joeys, but the Joeys now have a reasonable chance to become stronger.
Ahh, OK. It doesn't have to do with having higher CP than anything in the Gym- the Gym's level is what matters. The higher a Gym's level, the more defenders it can have, and when you train against a Gym, it earns prestige, which is basically experience points for Gyms. A Gym can go as high as level 10, which allows it 10 defenders. Thing is, you have to beat the Pokémon in the Gym to earn the Gym any prestige, and if your Pokémon are too weak to beat even the weakest Pokémon in the Gym, there's really nothing you could do, hence the need for an update like this- now everyone can potentially level up their team's Gyms.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:46 PM   #478
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Finally got to try training a Gym today. I gotta say, it's not a bad system. I was able to earn the Gym thousands of prestige, resulting in leveling the Gym up after just one training session. First impressions are pretty good! Hell, I actually almost beat the entire Gym (and this was a level 6 Gym with a Dragonite at the end!). In fact, I probably could have done so if I was able to use my Lapras (it's in another Gym) instead of Cloyster. I got to raise Cloyster's CP, like, a lot. Lapras's CP is much more comparable to that of what that Dragonite was lowered down to. Didn't catch or hatch anything of note today, but I did hit level 26, so I'm pretty pleased with that.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:22 PM   #479
Escalion

Had my first try at the new Gym system too, and while -at least for me- the down leveling of Pokémon already in the Gym didn't do that much, on average 30 CP less. The fact that I could use a whole team meant that I could still beat 4-5 Pokémon out of the 8 that defended the gym even though I was still severely disadvantaged CP wise. And thus I still managed to get my Pokémon in 2 Gym's today. And for one of them, I was pleasantly surprised to see some low leveled players ( < 10 ) in there with a Pokémon.
Old 10-14-2016, 01:33 PM   #480
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Today was pretty good. Started off by catching a Geodude, and once I transferred it, I finally had enough Geodude Candy to evolve my Graveler. With that mission accomplished, I switched my Buddy Pokémon from Golem to Meowth- I only need one more Meowth Candy to get a Persian. And then, once I actually went out for my walk, I got my Blastoise back into the Gym near my house, and then went to train up the other Gym. It was a level 7 Gym, completely full, and I actually managed to beat the entire thing. Of course, having my Lapras to use against those Dragonite was a huge help, but every Pokémon I chose did their part. Only problem now is I'm all out of Revives and my Vaporeon is still unconscious. But then I hatched a few 5km Eggs. One hatched into a Porygon, no complaints there whatsoever, been needing one. The other one hatched into a Bellsprout- again, no complaints, needed the extra Bellsprout Candy to level up my Victreebel. So yeah, overall, pretty good day.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:49 AM   #481
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Didn't get in much of a walk today, but that's not to say I didn't accomplish anything- finished up a walk with my Meowth, scored my 50th Meowth Candy, got myself a Persian.
Old 10-15-2016, 03:59 PM   #482
Escalion

Had quite an eventful day today. Collected a double Gym Defender bonus (though I've been kicked out of one since then now) and got to use my Lucky Egg today too. Hatched all my 9 Eggs that had in Incubators, and while that didn't result in any new Pokémon, I did get 80K XP closer to Level 23. Just over 10K to go now. And a whole bunch of new Pokémon richer thanks to evolutions and some catches, such as Dewgong and Magnemite (first Steel-type!).

And with all the Eggs gone I had to get a few new ones, which I did, so I'm stocked up full again on mostly 2km and 10km Eggs, which is really nice cause those are exactly what I want ^_^
Old 10-16-2016, 01:39 PM   #483
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Today's walk sucked, for the most part. I say "for the most part" because I was able to score some 5k Eggs from Poké Stops, I didn't run out of Poké Balls, and I managed to catch a Dratini. Aside from those little silver linings, however, yeah, not much to brag about. Besides the Dratini, I encountered pretty much the standard stuff- Pidgey, Rattata, Weedle, Spearow, Zubat, Drowzee, a couple of Eevee, you get the picture. Not especially bad, but now we get to the good stuff. Or... bad stuff. Either way. First off, I used an Incense. Now, I'm no stranger to Incenses screwing me over by coughing up the same common encounters I get without one, but this one was just a giant middle finger to me- it didn't lure in anything at all. I am not making this up- I wish I was making this up! The Incense lured in absolutely nothing! The entire half hour, any wild Pokémon I found were ones that were there anyway. Oh, and then there were the PokéStops. I mean, I get it, they made Revives less common at the same time they made them more necessary, I've more or less gotten used to them screwing with us like that. But... I have been completely out of Revives for days, and I have a Blastoise and Vaporeon that have been unconscious for days. And did any of the multiple PokéStops I visited today think to maybe cough up a Revive for me? Nope! Oh, and the Eggs I had going today? Weedle and Psyduck. To put it mildly, not even close to what I was hoping for.
Old 10-17-2016, 06:32 PM   #484
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Today I took a walk that was relatively shorter than usual. It could've been worse, but also could've been better. Hatched a Zubat, which... does not please me (I already have enough Zubat Candy stockpiled for the inevitable introduction of Generation II). Didn't really catch anything of note, either. Got some more Eggs, and... still no Revives. I gotta train up the nearby Gym if I want to get anything in there, and I ain't gonna attempt that until I have some Revives.

On the upside, I caught an Oddish, and after transferring it, I now have enough Oddish Candy to evolve this strong Gloom I have. I do already have a Vileplume, and I could in theory hold out for Bellossom... but I kinda want a stronger Vileplume with better attacks, so I'll be shooting for that when I evolve it (holding off on any evolutions for a while- trying to build up a stockpile of evolvable stuff, which I intend to evolve in the half-hour duration of a Lucky Egg).
Old 10-22-2016, 02:53 PM   #485
Escalion

Finally had opportunity again to actually play Pokémon GO rather than just log in and collect my Defender bonus, which was nice as the weather the past week has been terrible so I didn't do much, and yesterday I got booted from a Gym so I had to get myself back into it today which I did.

Also finally hit Level 23 and hatched a nice few eggs, though once again nothing I didn't have already or didn't really need. Getting a bit tired of continuously hatching Sandshrew... though the fact I got a near perfect one (98%) relieves that a bit. Went to Germany this afternoon/evening too with a friend and mamaged to get a nice bunch of foreign Pokémon too, not that it makes a difference, but I like to keep some around from other countries that I have visited.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:45 PM   #486
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

So the Halloween event's started. My Bulbasaur was last seen being three quarters of the way towards finding a Candy. I load up Go, and suddenly I'm informed that Bulbasaur's found three Candy. Gastly, Haunter, Cubone, and Meowth are all over my Sightings, and there was even a Marowak in there as well at one point. Tomorrow's walk is gonna be great- I got nine Eggs, all set to hatch simultaneously, all in less than a kilometer, and now I'll be getting double the Candy from them!
Old 10-25-2016, 11:56 PM   #487
The Morg
Trying to send Christmas cards

I'm walking a Bulbasaur too, high five! I was surprised at all the candies it was finding, but it makes sense now that I know there's an event. That's pretty cool and I hope they keep having events.

In other news... a nearby pokestop seems to have evolved into a Gym! I wonder how that happened?

*munch munch* | FB Profile
The Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:29 PM   #488
Escalion

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Morg View Post
In other news... a nearby pokestop seems to have evolved into a Gym! I wonder how that happened?
Niantic has been changing and adding more Stops / Gyms lately. Don't know why, but your stop there isn't the only one.

As for the event. I have all the candy I need now for my Victreebell and I'm walkinh my Squirtle now. I have a very good one I want to get all they way up to Blastoise. And I'll need a good 100 candy for that still, so this event is going to be a nice help. Hope for more of these in the future.

Also, looking at my neighborhood, I think they've simply replaced all Rattata with Meowth and all Pidgey with Gastly, cause they're everywhere XD
Old 10-26-2016, 03:54 PM   #489
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

Today went very well! I caught a bunch of Gastly and Haunter, evolved a Gastly all the way to Gengar- good IVs, high CP, and a moveset of Sucker Punch and Sludge Bomb. Not quite the ideal moveset, but close enough for my liking. Also hatched all nine Eggs- got a better Magmar and Electabuzz, a relatively crappy Lapras (no complaints- got me more Lapras Candy), and a decent assortment from the 5ks, including a Diglett and Ponyta that gave me enough Candy to get Dugtrio and Rapidash. And I'm really raking in the Bulbasaur Candy- I almost have enough for an Ivysaur!

Interestingly, I'm actually seeing fewer Drowzee around my neighborhood. Not that I'm complaining, mind you- I'm used to being up to my eyeballs in Drowzee, so this is actually quite a nice change of pace.
Old 10-31-2016, 01:37 PM   #490
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

This Halloween event has been pretty cool! I've actually managed to evolve multiple Gengar over the past couple of days, and I finally managed to evolve my Bulbasaur into Ivysaur! It's the same Bulbasaur I picked as a starter, actually- it's the only Pokémon I adamantly refuse to replace with a higher CP version.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:05 PM   #491
Escalion

Yeah I wouldn't mind more events like this either. It's a really nice way to be able to capture otherwise extremely rare Pokémon, at least for where I live. I mean, in all the months so far I had only caught 2 Gastly in my own town and I'd only ever caught 1 Cubone which wasn't even in my own country. And now I have enough candy for the both of them to evolve at least 2 of each to their final evolutions XD

Still didn't do the evolving though, I've caught all the Pokémon this event made more common except Hypno, though I have enough candy to evolve 3 Drowzee. I'll do all the evolving when I'm closer to level-up and have a nice bunch to use a Lucky Egg.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:01 PM   #492
Connor
Flashbacker

The annoying part for me was that I had every Pokemon they jumped the encounter rates of except for Gengar. Which I promptly rectified, but still. I got more mileage out of the candy increase.
Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 05:08 PM   #493
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

I had all the ones the event made more common, but I really needed a better Gengar, so that worked out pretty well.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:17 PM   #494
Escalion

Well this is nice ^_^
New update will be daily bonuses. That's a very welcome extra, and that for no extra effort at all (for me at least).

All the extra XP this will deliver is really nice too, especially considering the huge spikes in needed XP each level past level 20.
Old 11-03-2016, 02:13 PM   #495
GrJackass
Night Man

Man, the Halloween event was bitter sweet. It was so much fun to play again with all the candies and ghost all over the place! I was even able to get 4 new guys into the pokedex raising me to 134 and now it's horrible to play again ;-;

I hope they do monthly or every other monthly events on other holidays. Though i hope they throw in a twist for what Pokemon are around for Xmas. unless they include Lapras... i can get behind that.

”Fee, fie, foe, fum the End are Near at thou Bobbum. Time me open Bobbum Van trunk, for ruin Bobbum wif Equipmunk.”
GrJackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 02:15 PM   #496
GrJackass
Night Man

also the ton of ghastly's wasn't too bad. i hadn't gotten my gold ghost catcher badge until then and it definitely helped.

”Fee, fie, foe, fum the End are Near at thou Bobbum. Time me open Bobbum Van trunk, for ruin Bobbum wif Equipmunk.”
GrJackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 07:25 PM   #497
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

OK, so, apparently, Pidgey, Rattata, and Zubat now spawn less frequently, Eevee now hatch from 5km Eggs, and Pidgey and Rattata can no longer be hatched.
Old 11-03-2016, 07:26 PM   #498
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrJackass View Post
Man, the Halloween event was bitter sweet. It was so much fun to play again with all the candies and ghost all over the place! I was even able to get 4 new guys into the pokedex raising me to 134 and now it's horrible to play again ;-;

I hope they do monthly or every other monthly events on other holidays. Though i hope they throw in a twist for what Pokemon are around for Xmas. unless they include Lapras... i can get behind that.
Well I have some good news for you, they just announced about an hour ago that in the next update, Pidgey, Rattata, and Zubat will be far less common and replaced with a wider variety of Pokemon. In addition, Pidgey and Rattata will no longer hatch from 2K eggs, and Eevee will no longer hatch from 10K eggs.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 04:34 AM   #499
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

Dailies are kinda nice oddly enough. I pretty much only play sometimes on my way to work and hope for a capture or more likely walk past a Pokestop. Doing a daily seems like a decent way to catch up to the level 30s out there.

I suppose the next evolution is login bonus...
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 01:22 PM   #500
Missingno. Master
An actual game I made!

This whole wider variety deal seems to be kicking in well enough. I actually caught a couple of Magnemite by my house yesterday, definitely not a common sight in my neighborhood.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > POKÉMON