UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment

Old 02-10-2012, 11:52 AM   #26
GrJackass
Night Man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f0xB...eature=related

so far this is a song i actually kinda like and will make an appearance on my phone

”Fee, fie, foe, fum the End are Near at thou Bobbum. Time me open Bobbum Van trunk, for ruin Bobbum wif Equipmunk.”
GrJackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:01 PM   #27
Handymankg2
It's the yearly visit!

Send a message via AIM to Handymankg2 Send a message via MSN to Handymankg2 Send a message via Skype™ to Handymankg2
Mmm, Chameleon Circuit is a band made up of five awesome vloggers (four brits, one american). I love their music and own both their albums because they're fantastic.

They're pretty much the only existing Trock (Timelord Rock) band out there, which is a shame. The compilation 'Trock On!' has a few other good songs by other bands if you feel like checking them out.

(My personal faves from CC are Kiss the Girl and The Doctor is Dying)

Last edited by Handymankg2; 02-10-2012 at 12:06 PM.
Handymankg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:55 PM   #28
TheNthDoctor
Boulder Badge

i so need to get their cds.

Plus i have been geeking out since reading this Doctor Who comic news the other day http://trekmovie.com/2012/02/10/repo...coming-in-may/

I cant wait for May

Last edited by TheNthDoctor; 02-12-2012 at 01:57 PM.
TheNthDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:23 PM   #29
GrJackass
Night Man

This was just such a badass episode

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4I-ef...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUZ50...eature=related

if i you haven't seen "a good man goes to war" Spoilers

”Fee, fie, foe, fum the End are Near at thou Bobbum. Time me open Bobbum Van trunk, for ruin Bobbum wif Equipmunk.”
Old 02-21-2012, 09:38 PM   #30
GrJackass
Night Man

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S68z3...feature=fvwrel

WHAT?!!

...... <3<3<3

Old 03-02-2012, 01:51 PM   #31
GrJackass
Night Man

http://media-cdn.pinterest.com/uploa...38pjg4x5_c.jpg

Old 03-02-2012, 03:56 PM   #32
deoxys
Fog Badge

DUDE I WANT THAT BOOK

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #33
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
want
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:59 PM   #34
GrJackass
Night Man

SEASON SIX ON NETFLIIIIIIX

Old 07-12-2012, 11:23 AM   #35
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
At the instruction of a friend, I have started watching the show at Series 5 after a long time of wondering about it. Watched a marathon of it all day, was not disappointed.

I was introduced to the Doctor in a similar way. My roommate and a lot of my friends love this show, so I figured I'd check it out finally. I started when the show was picked up again (basically whatever is on Netflix) with Christopher Eccles(t)on.

I'm still at the beginning of Season 4 (when Catherine Tate joins for real), but I saw a few episodes with Matt Smith, Amy, and Rory. I know the big giant secret that gets revealed at some point in the most recent season, and to be honest, it was a little honest given the scope of Doctor Who.

Now I have a question, serious here, because my roommate practically evicted me for this: What is so special about the episode "Blink?" I saw it, understood it, and appreciated that it occurred during Martha Jones' season; but I don't really get the acclaim.
jolteonjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:53 AM   #36
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Relicanth

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolteonjak View Post
Now I have a question, serious here, because my roommate practically evicted me for this: What is so special about the episode "Blink?" I saw it, understood it, and appreciated that it occurred during Martha Jones' season; but I don't really get the acclaim.
Blink is always going to be an excellent episode for a variety of reasons, and was probably my favourite episode of that entire series. I probably won't be able to think of them all, but:

1. The Doctor and Martha are relegated to supporting characters.
2. Because of 1., the main characters for the episodes are normal people we've never seen before, which I feel allows a bit more empathy.
3. The episode juggles the timey-wimey ball perfectly well.
4. The Weeping Angels are absolutely bloody terrifying.

I've always been a big fan of the 'Nothing is scarier' approach to horror (part of why Jaws and Alien are two of my favourite films), and while you see the angels they don't seem to be much of a threat until about halfway / two-thirds through the episode. But you don't see them move, that only happens offscreen, which is... unnerving. And pretty damn scary.

And there's also the fact that 'they can't move while being observed'. Why don't they move on camera? Because you're observing them. Think about it.

inb4 someone mentions Flesh and Stone.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #37
GrJackass
Night Man

you're very lucky your roomate only left it at an "eviction"

for the reasons stated by dave it was a brilliantly crafted episode made to have you feel the tension and the surrealistic notion of being thrust into that kind of situation against a creature you simply cannot defeat. AND I DON'T EVEN LIKE THE HORROR GENRE but the episode was that great. of the tennant years it is my personal favorite episode followed by the 'silence in the library' two parter

knowing that spoiler that in the most recent series grossly changes the entire feel of the show, the suspicions and intrigue now kind of made moot if you were to watch it :/

i really hate these generation of kids dave, how bout you and me... kill all humans?

edit: plus not to mention the doctor and his companions (or just someone in the know) wasent there to just make it all better so you truely felt the plight, and don't tell me you didn't well up a bit with shipton ;-; cause that's bullshit and i don't believe you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQlBJYh2baw also this

plus it was kinda cool with the timey wimey willbly wobbly thingy

Last edited by GrJackass; 07-12-2012 at 12:10 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:40 PM   #38
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

>i really hate these generation of kids dave, how bout you and me... kill all humans?

Believe me, I've been campaigning for a cull for years.

>Chameleon Circuit

That is an excellent song and I hate youtube for not letting me be able hear it anymore.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:02 PM   #39
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

I'm not going to argue my age with anyone, as I'm confident that I'm either the same age as you both or older...unless, of course, you were talking about my age in terms of being somewhat of a fan for less than a month. Then, naturally, you are right.

I'm starting to see what Dave said. I generally enjoy episodes that give main characters a break from most of the action. While I was typing this response, I started thinking about the "nothing" is scarier bit. The way you typed it out, I was a little confused; but then I thought about Blair Witch Project. The scene at the very end
Spoiler: show
when the dude was in the corner, and the cameraperson was knocked out
scared even me, and I'm pretty desensitized that not much scares me.

One question I had after watching it though is what "activated" the Weeping Angels in the first place? What I understood from it is that by Sally being there, she brought them to life. Why aren't they running about the house or whatever when no one is there to look at them?
Old 07-12-2012, 01:09 PM   #40
GrJackass
Night Man

they were always there, thats why the cops had all those cars and the tardis in that garage where shipton was taken. up until then they were just "mysterious disappearances"
the reason why they stayed at the house because it was a perfect "web" to catch prey where they can just blend in the old timey garden where you wouldn't find it odd to see statues

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWq8j...ure=plpp_video mostly this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAR1f...ture=g-all-shu and somewhat this
video explain the whole "nothing is scarier bit" means that your own imagination can scare you more than what other people can usually drudge up

then as for the generation bit, if you want to break it into semantics then fine, i don't like you personally then? make you feel better now? (i feel like i need to explain this is a joke)

edit: also... you really need to spoiler the ending to the blair witch project? people from that time only watched it because it was a new type of movie made in that documentary format (which is now over done with monster movies) and it was rumored at the time to be real. and anyone who hasn't watched that movie.... wont... because its a terrible movie

otherwise yes, that is a good example of what dave was talking about

Last edited by GrJackass; 07-12-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #41
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

Joke or not - seriously?

Forget it, I'll just talk to my one friend who is actually open to discussion about things like this.

It's probably safe not to discuss companions here either right? I'm pretty sure I'm not going to like the one you like most to the same degree you do. This is going by what I've seen so far, as I'm still catching up. My opinion can and probably will change by time I reach the end of the Netflix-line.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:38 PM   #42
GrJackass
Night Man

Quote:
Forget it, I'll just talk to my one friend who is actually open to discussion about things like this.
so you ignore the fact i have answered all your questions, with references to help explain it... because of a joke? actually, because of that i rescind my previous statement that it was a joke lol

Old 07-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #43
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

As someone who can't see Youtube, you can also read the Nothing Is Scarier page at TV Tropes. Basic premise is where the mere threat of the antagonist person/creature is able to induce mind-numbing panic in the protagonist/audience. Was mostly pioneered by Spielberg - he hated the prop shark in Jaws, so deliberately tried to avoid shots of it as much as possible. It definitely makes for a more tense film.

Or, as Yahtzee puts it here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahtzee
You see, there are three kinds of horror games.
First there's the kind where you're in a dark room and a guy in a spooky mask jumps out of a cupboard going "Abloogy woogy woo". That'll be your Doom 3.
Then there's the kind where the guy in the spooky mask isn't in a cupboard but standing right behind you and you just know he's going to go "Abloogy woogy woo" at some point but he doesn't and you're getting more and more tense but you don't wanna turn around because he might stick his cock in your eye. That'll be your Silent Hill 2.
And then there are the horror games where the guy in the spooky mask goes "Abloogy woogy woo" while standing on the far side of a brightly-lit room, before walking slowly over to you, plucking a violin and then slapping you in the face with a T-bone steak. That would be your Dead Space.
See the second one is best because your imagination's doing all the work. All a good horror game needs to do is hand you a piece of sandpaper and shout encouragement as you vigorously massage your own undercarriage.
True, games are more immersive than other media, but the same holds true for film.

Also, really guys? It was nice to see some discussion going on again...
Old 07-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #44
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

Sorry. Thank you for answering my question. I just wanted to understand what was so special about the episode since my roommate did a crap job explaining it to me.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:25 PM   #45
GrJackass
Night Man

if you just want to know why people as a whole liked the ep (with out the technical stuff), it was a good episode that most fans were able to feel immersed in the situation and pictured themselves there and the weeping angels themselves were so good on the creepy factor that they had actually been polled more popular than daleks. when you get up to it, the silence in the library episodes are very similar in a sense where you feel almost claustrophobic. its just one of those things you just need to suspend reason and let yourself be taken by the story.

either way, when season 5 & 6 roll around it hits a stride of storytelling that you'll definitely thank your roommate for introducing you to the show

and who is your favorite companion?
so far i have amy as #1 and i cant pick between rose and Donna noble for the #2 position... which sounds dirty when spoken out loud...

Last edited by GrJackass; 07-12-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:08 PM   #46
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

Quote:
I'm still at the beginning of Season 4 (when Catherine Tate joins for real)
Be prepared to have your mind blown by the sheer awesomeness of the brotp of Donna and the Doc! Also Martha comes back and that's awesome!
Old 07-13-2012, 03:40 AM   #47
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

>Also Martha comes back and that's awesome!

Eh. Personally that felt a bit shoehorned in to me. Like 'Look, it's only four episodes in but we still remember that there was a previous companion knocking around!'.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:04 PM   #48
GrJackass
Night Man

where do we see martha jones again? also, i could care less. she was SOOO BORING and her horrid looking mother looked like a burn victim. give me rose Tylers mother any day or actually

show spoiler
Spoiler: show
give me amy ponds non existent mother any day

but yea i really liked donna noble, she was just a cool buddy. i was tired of everyone around the doctor just falling in love with him, it just gets kinda tired after a while. they tried to do that with amy as well but they thankfully put that shit to the curb

edit: even marthas theme music just made me kinda drowsy

Last edited by GrJackass; 07-13-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:38 AM   #49
jolteonjak
Volcano Badge

Martha Jones came back in Donna's season for the Sontaran two-parter then the episode after that, which incidentally is how far I've gotten. Plus reading the previews on Netflix, it seems she appears in the season finale too.

You asked which companion I like best. I don't think I should answer that until I've seen at least Amy's first season, since I only have Rose and Martha's seasons fully completed.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:16 PM   #50
GrJackass
Night Man

kk fair enough

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Entertainment