Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
New Berserk Anime

あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:45 AM   #2
Loki
The Path of Now & Forever

I cannot read Japanese, so I have to assume the title of this thread is what that label is about.

Anyway, not too sure how I feel about this with virtually no information about it- What studio is doing it? Will it strictly follow the manga or not? How many chapters will it do? Will they pick up from where the last series left off?
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:51 AM   #3
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Interesting news! Nice find, Doppel! Thanks for posting it.

I've not seen the old anime nor read any of the manga. I've actually managed to avoid spoilers too, for the most part. I'm sure I've been told a few things by Mcsweeney and others in the past, but I don't really remember them much at all. All I vaguely recall is,
  • the anime is 25-26 episodes long but it only covers Volume 1 of the manga
  • (as the article points out) the manga is now 34 volumes in length, soon to be 35, and so even back in the day there were more than enough manga volumes to keep the show going and yet the studio either couldn't or else it chose not to
  • the story is about a man who, iirc, is like the kingdom's white knight but then through some manner of treachery or loss he finds himself fighting for survival as something of a renegade warrior?
And that's about it. So for a guy like me, who knows next to nothing about the story, a remake would be very welcome. Something akin to the Fullmetal Alchemist remake which wrapped up earlier this year. That would be grand.

However, there are a lot of people on the ANN forum who are apparently posting negative concerns that the studio may be intending to do a remake rather than a direct continuation to the first series. So I want to ask those of you who have seen it: why do you think this is? Did the original anime diverge from its source material and thus these fans are hoping to see more of that alternate timeline developed rather than seeing the manga's version of the events portrayed on television? Did the original anime do such a good job of stretching a single tankoubon out into 25-26 episodes that these fans are worried what will happen with a remake where the first volume is condensed down into only two, three, or four episodes? Are these fans simply impatient and they don't want to have wait for the Vol1 episodes to wrap up? What is it, exactly, that's making them so negative towards the prospect of a remake?

'Cause let me tell you: the FMA remake was the best thing that could have happened to that franchise. They took a great manga which had a pre-existing okay anime and they said, "Let's abort the okay anime and make a great anime instead." And they did. Who wouldn't want that for their beloved franchise?
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:57 AM   #4
Loki

The original series is the first real story arc, not the first volume. I think it covers roughly... uh... I haven't read this in a while so I'll shoot blindly and say 8 volumes.

The only real divergence from the source material is one short part near the end, which is understandably too violent for standard television (people get killed and raped left and right). Besides that, it stuck fairly close to the manga.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:00 PM   #5
McSweeney
Soul Badge

The anime was actually pretty good, censorship aside, simply because it covers BY FAR the best story arc of the manga. The biggest drawback is that it's missing all the stuff at the beginning of the manga (there's some good stuff in there).

People say it's impossible to continue the anime because they never introduced Puck and Skull Knight, but honestly, who cares? You can easily bring Skull Knight in at the start, and slop Puck in there somewhere if necessary.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
McSweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:04 PM   #6
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
I cannot read Japanese, so I have to assume the title of this thread is what that label is about.
Click the image.

I thought it more dramatic if I just posted the picture, and embedded the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
However, there are a lot of people on the ANN forum who are apparently posting negative concerns that the studio may be intending to do a remake rather than a direct continuation to the first series. So I want to ask those of you who have seen it: why do you think this is? Did the original anime diverge from its source material and thus these fans are hoping to see more of that alternate timeline developed rather than seeing the manga's version of the events portrayed on television? Did the original anime do such a good job of stretching a single tankoubon out into 25-26 episodes that these fans are worried what will happen with a remake where the first volume is condensed down into only two, three, or four episodes? Are these fans simply impatient and they don't want to have wait for the Vol1 episodes to wrap up? What is it, exactly, that's making them so negative towards the prospect of a remake?

'Cause let me tell you: the FMA remake was the best thing that could have happened to that franchise. They took a great manga which had a pre-existing okay anime and they said, "Let's abort the okay anime and make a great anime instead." And they did. Who wouldn't want that for their beloved franchise?
Golden Age, the arc everyone raves about, has minimal fantasy elements and is basically straight character drama and political maneuverings in fairy-tale medieval Europe. For cost and narrative reasons, this is why it was chosen to be the first arc adapted, so the first anime painted a pretty much contained story and told it very well.

I don't see the problems with a remake because Golden Age is just as easy to bring to life now as it was way back when, if not easier. It'll also be a great opportunity to wrangle in new fans such as yourself. The fears I think are that the anime wastes potential, because whoever produces it could be going into the more fantastical Retribution and Millennium Falcon arcs instead. Which, given Miura's art, are going to be extremely difficult to animate, but it's going to be more spectacular than Wonderland, something like high-octane Fantasia on steroids.

Also, I am fearful of CGI. If OLM is animating this, they gave a test run of their capabilities with Utawarerumono four years ago. What they showed off was impressive, since they only used the CGI for army scenes, but I'm still afraid of FSN-style sex dragons. :/
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 09-27-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:58 PM   #7
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

I'm all for a remake of the first series. I never watched it, so I don't know how close it is to the manga, but I'm sure they can improve on it. I just hope they go further than the first anime did.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:25 PM   #8
McSweeney
Soul Badge

I don't think a remake is necessary, the original anime did a good enough job. But if they want another crack at it and make everything perfect, have at it.

If it's a continuation of where the original left off ... I may not even watch it. Berserk after the Golden Age arc? MEH. It's still entertaining, but isn't nearly the masterpiece that it once was. Miura should have wrapped things up while it was still on top of the world. Berserk was best when it was a simple story about the rise and fall of two men, betrayal, and the question of whether it was justified.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 09-28-2010, 02:26 PM   #9
big bad birtha
Volcano Badge

Oh, I found something interesting. Here's a promo video of it.
big bad birtha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:43 PM   #10
McSweeney
Soul Badge

Yep, looks like a remake.

Smoking Gary sez:
"Stay in school kidz"
Old 09-28-2010, 06:07 PM   #11
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Argh, why didn't this flag as having new posts?

Regardless, I think saying it's Studio 4°C is not only premature, it doesn't look like their work at all...rather, reminds me more of signature Madhouse minus some polish.

But yes, a remake. But remake does not imply there won't be new material!
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて

Last edited by Doppleganger; 09-28-2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:11 PM   #12
Loki

The news on ANN has been updated, saying it will be a fully CGI series, which if you look a bit more closely to the Youtube video, it does seem to be more of a cell shaded. Not entirely sure how I feel about it. A lot of heavy CGI series ends up feeling... uh... SHITTY.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:22 PM   #13
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki View Post
The news on ANN has been updated, saying it will be a fully CGI series, which if you look a bit more closely to the Youtube video, it does seem to be more of a cell shaded. Not entirely sure how I feel about it. A lot of heavy CGI series ends up feeling... uh... SHITTY.
It's dependent on budget, like everything. Good anime CGI has existed since 2006 (IM@S is proof), but with a modest budget and incompetent artists (i.e., people who use CGI as a cost-cutting measure) it looks fugly.

IF Berserk has a high budget, and the cel shading is being wielded by a skilled studio like Oriental Light and Magic, it could look very, very good. Utawarerumono was proof of this, and it came out in 2006.

Though, that announcement has increased my skepticism by 1.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-28-2010, 11:08 PM   #14
Loki

It's not the image quality I'm worried about. It's everything else.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime