UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime

Old 09-20-2020, 08:35 AM   #7976
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
I looked at Deca-Dence but it looks like Dead Leaves to me and I have a blanket dislike of any Imiashi-style Trigger anime. It began with my unhappiness at how Gurren-Lagann ended but I can't help but barf at something that looks like that.

I refuse to watch stuff like Panty & Stocking, KLK or Franxx.

I don't think you missed a ton with Re:Zero. It has plusses and minuses and isn't as easily AOTY material like the first series.

First, the entire 26 episodes is devoted to one loop compared to three distinct arcs in the first show. 13 of the episodes are being shown now, and there will be a 3 month break before it resumes in January. This is bad.

The episodes themselves are also...a bit punishing and too unnecessarily sadistic. The side characters have been sloughed off in favour of focus on Subaru, to the series detriment. Emilia, the 'heroine' is barely a character.

Also, the real AOTY 2020 is Ishuzoku Reviewers.

I'm only half joking. Did you hear that FUNimation has now vowed to censor BDs in the United States now, starting with Azur Lane? It seems IR triggered this as it was the first title FUNimation actually dropped midseason due to explicit content.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 12:11 PM   #7977
Loki
RIP QinniH

I don't think I've ever fully dropped a show purely on visual style and design. Usually there's other things that ruin it for me, possibly in conjunction with poor style. Like if the story is also bad or if the cinematography is horrible. Hideous artwork can still tell a good story.

I'm not super surprised that there's an overreaction to the backlash. America is horribly prudish when it comes to sexual content, yet we hyper love violence despite violence always being considered bad in society and consensual sex is not.

It's really weird how we can praise shows like Game of Thrones (before the last seasons) that contains incest, rape, prostitution, and a lot of violence, but a jokey sex anime can't be tolerated.
Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 03:55 PM   #7978
Loki
RIP QinniH

Deca-Dence final episode was kind of a bit dragged out. Compared to the first 11 episodes, the final episode retreaded some earlier stuff, so it felt like they had to do 12 episodes but kind of ran out of gas and just filled a whole episode. There wasn't even like any opposition for the characters.

This doesn't ruin the show as a whole. But considering how hype the end of episode 11 was compared to what actually happens in episode 12, it was a bit underwhelming. I actually have a friend that believed episode 11 was the last episode and the cliffhanger was for a second season like Big O.

I'm still calling it my personal Anime of 2020! Eleven great episodes and 1 mediocre episode is still great!

Also started watching Rent-A-Girlfriend. It's fairly cringey but oddly compelling. Very romantic drama, but nowhere as bad as Domestic Girlfriend. I'm also curious if renting a girlfriend is real in Japan. I know that Conan O'Brien did a skit where he rented a whole family.

Also, this is fucking brilliant: https://twitter.com/i/status/1290286616297103360
Old 09-23-2020, 06:25 PM   #7979
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

It is a real thing called "enjou kousai", but what makes Rent-a-Girlfriend a bit unique is both parties are college-aged. So like Shield Hero it's the "PG-13" version of enjou kousai.

Also with enjou kousai, the girl is typically middle school/high school while the man is some middle aged salarybro. There are exceptions, like the recent scandal with Act-Age author Tatsuya Matsuki who is likely headed to jail for sexual assault.

He's age 29.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-26-2020, 11:53 PM   #7980
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Human Ranch

I wish this was about human ranch dressing, but nope. It's an isekai about elves who abduct humans to become delicious steaks to serve in their canopy fortresses.

The level of intelligence is lower than Chainsaw Man and it follows the similar Parallel Paradise manga, in that the meatpacking plant is treated like a prison where the cows police other cows just to stay alive a day longer.

It's stupid to me because aside from the main character Akira, everyone is laughably painful.

1. The main guy's girlfriend, upon seeing her 'flower arrangement' buddies get assimilated into a pervert's harem, willingly joins and gets raped/mindbroken into a breeding sow.

What?

2. Main guy, upon being put through his first communal shower, pops a wood one and runs outisde...to jizz on the grass. He doesn't shower that day and smells of crust and uncut smegma.

Why?

3. Akira, in an effort to keep his buddies cover from being blown, kisses the main girl (name irrelevant). She immediately falls in love with him.

How?

I'm legit cheering for the eleves at this point. No way Japanese high school kids are this stupid. Nevermind how it's bizarre a meatpacking plant is being policed by its living meat, the Japanese kids in this are just remarkably slow witted and sexually charged.

Perhaps their brains liquefied into ranch dressing when they transmigrated across the worlds. Yeesh.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Old 09-27-2020, 10:06 AM   #7981
Loki
RIP QinniH

There's a lot of convoluted and contrived premises in modern stories. It is surprising that so many get to become printed, but when we think about how Western book series like Insurgent are also extremely dumb and somehow were made into films just because it was similar to Hunger Games, it's not far fetched, even if it is awful.

Someone will see a successful story and kind of rip it off, but they're not as smart as the original premise and have worse world building or less logic. The publisher/editor is also chasing the trend and just wants to have something to compete with the successful story and we all end up with hot garbo.

And it's not entirely unimaginable that prisoners would collaborate with their jailers if they believe they'll be spared if they help them. It sadly happened even during the Holocaust.
Old 09-27-2020, 10:08 PM   #7982
Loki
RIP QinniH

Rent-A-Girlfriend

The main protagonist is Kazuya, a college freshmen who gets dumped by the trash bin ex-Mami. He decides to rent a girlfriend to cheer himself up and we're introduced to the perfect girl Chizuru. By happenstance, during his 2nd date with her, Kazuya's grandmother falls ill and is taken to the hospita. Kazuya ends up bringing Chizuru and he introduces her to his grandmother and she feels proud that her idiot grandson found such a perfect girl. Grandma turns out to be friends with Chizuru's grandmother. So they both keep up the charade since she doesn't want to reveal to her own grandmother she has this job. The show basically revolves around Kazuya continuously digging a deeper and deeper lie.

Decent show. I enjoyed it in a weird, cringe-inducing way. Like his stupidity makes me feel better that I'm not that stupid, but it's not farfetched enough that I don't think no one would follow his choices. I mean, Peter Molyneux exists. It kind of reminded me a bit of Watamote in terms of humor. I don't think everyone would enjoy it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Anime