UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Debate

Old 08-22-2012, 03:59 AM   #1
deoxys
Fog Badge

Akin, Steve King, the GOP, and 'legitimate rape'

I'M typing this on a phone and am way too lazy to link anything, but unless you've been living under a rock the past few days, then you know what's up with the latest crackpot bullshit to be spewed out of the ignorance of those who help govern our nation.

Seriously this man was in the fucking US House Science and Tech Board and doesn't think a woman can get pregnant from 'legitimate rape'. Then Steve King chimes in with "Well I've never heard of a woman getting pregnant from rape..." Yes, Steve, and I've never met a Lithuanian, so I guess Lithuania doesn't exist. LOGIC!

So yes, these people run our country and govern laws for a demographic primarily the opposite of heir gender in a subject field they know diddly shit about.

MURICA FUCK YAH

•
• • • • • • • •
• • • • • • •

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 05:39 AM   #2
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Their opinions are appalling, but it will eventually have good consequences. As more and more women realize that the Republican party doesn't give half a shit about them they'll vote more and more democratic - which will hopefully lead to a split of the Republican party into the fiscal conservatives and the Christian conservatives- which could eventually lead to a government that doesn't try to make laws based on the old testament.

I know I'm probably overly optimistic though.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:56 AM   #3
Mercutio
Banned

Yeah that was pretty funny. It's possible he might actually fail to take his senate seat.

Not that it's just republicans who are that stupid. A guy named George Galloway in Britain said similarly stupid things about the matter this week.
Mercutio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 08:07 AM   #4
Lonely Cubone
Gee, Brain...

Send a message via MSN to Lonely Cubone
Yes, describing having sex with someone who was asleep as "poor etiquette" is a little unwise.
Lonely Cubone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:07 AM   #5
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
This guy is really stupid if he believes that. There was actually someone from my school who was raped and had a kid. So, before UM tries to defend this guy, he is DEFINITELY WRONG.

I am kind of hoping with Muyo here. Too optimistic really, but, it could happen.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:38 PM   #6
unownmew
Banned

Send a message via MSN to unownmew
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muyotwo View Post
As more and more women realize that the Republican party doesn't give half a shit about them they'll vote more and more democratic - which will hopefully lead to a split of the Republican party into the fiscal conservatives and the Christian conservatives- which could eventually lead to a government that doesn't try to make laws based on the old testament.

I dunno, Sarah Palin had enormous success with the soccer mom Population, which I think dwarfs the number of women who only care about getting free contraception, and free child care, and free healthcare, or are among the Elite Rich like Opera.

I think Most women are more concerned about the economy when they have to drive up to pump and pay$3-5 a gallon for gas, and then to the grocery store and find that, due to the high price of gas, the prices of their groceries are doubled (since transportation costs are much higher). And I'm sure they'll realize that, Obama, and the Democrat Party, are not doing them any favors by keeping the gas price high, and tacking on more and expensive regulations on companies, and higher taxes, forcing them to increase prices to pay the cost of the new regulations and the higher taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeVA View Post
This guy is really stupid if he believes that. There was actually someone from my school who was raped and had a kid. So, before UM tries to defend this guy, he is DEFINITELY WRONG.

I am kind of hoping with Muyo here. Too optimistic really, but, it could happen.
He was working with outdated and incorrect information. Yes he was wrong, but he wasn't aware it was wrong information at the time. He also mispoke, which I'm sure we can all forgive. Otherwise, why aren't you getting on Obama for saying he's visited all 57 of the United States?
unownmew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:45 PM   #7
Mercutio
Banned

Or for saying he's the 44th president.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:23 PM   #8
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
Tyranitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by unownmew View Post
I dunno, Sarah Palin had enormous success with the soccer mom Population, which I think dwarfs the number of women who only care about getting free contraception, and free child care, and free healthcare, or are among the Elite Rich like Opera.
I don't recall Opera being a particularly popular web browser, so I'm not sure where you're getting the notion that it's among the "elite rich."
Old 08-22-2012, 04:42 PM   #9
deoxys
Fog Badge

You know its funny, Limbaugh said he wasn't going to say the dude needs to step out of his campaign for his comments because it would make him a hypocrite, which I suppose is true, but the thing that gets me is that were this a Democrat saying these things or something he would be shouting it left and right.

And you're *really* defending him by saying he was running on outdated information? Reeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaallllllllyyyyy? Just like over half of everything Repubs run on, but I mean... with rape...? Seriously? And he is the head of the Science and Tech board? And he didn't think that rape could cause pregnancy despite the fact that it is SEX!?

•
• • • • • • • •
• • • • • • •

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

Old 08-22-2012, 04:47 PM   #10
Mercutio
Banned

While he's a fucking moron, in his defence the fact that he's on the science committee doesn't actually necessitate him knowing... anything. That's the whole point of most lobbying firms. They're not strictly there to influence people (though obviously that's what they're really there for), they're there to inform. One could argue that him being so spectacularly wrong is just part of the package of being a professional politician.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:58 PM   #11
unownmew
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyranidos View Post
I don't recall Opera being a particularly popular web browser, so I'm not sure where you're getting the notion that it's among the "elite rich."
Oprah, whatever her name is, the Rich Lady who has/had her own TV show, which was highly watched.

So sue me for not knowing or caring how he spells her name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
You know its funny, Limbaugh said he wasn't going to say the dude needs to step out of his campaign for his comments because it would make him a hypocrite, which I suppose is true, but the thing that gets me is that were this a Democrat saying these things or something he would be shouting it left and right.
To be fair, Democrats are always shouting at Republicans for "horrible" remarks, but never say a word about their own when they make incendiary comments.

Quote:
And you're *really* defending him by saying he was running on outdated information? Reeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaallllllllyyyyy? Just like over half of everything Repubs run on, but I mean... with rape...? Seriously? And he is the head of the Science and Tech board? And he didn't think that rape could cause pregnancy despite the fact that it is SEX!?
Yes I'm defending him, because I know what it's like to "know something," have no reason to disbelieve it, and then find out, After The Fact, that what you knew to be true, wasn't true.

I also do not know why the Head of the Science and tech board needs to know medicine, "In depth."

And to get completely technical on you, simply being raped doesn't mean pregnancy. Pregnancy only occurs when the Sperm unites with the Egg, and there are times of the month where a Woman is Completely Infertile. Sperm can also only live in the Womb for a set time period, so if ovulation does not occur, or has not occurred within, or before, that time period, The Woman Will Not get pregnant. So, part of what he said is true anyway, just not all of it.

Regardless of it all, yes, it was an insensitive Comment, and the information was wrong, but it does not warrant Political Crucifixion IMO.

Last edited by unownmew; 08-22-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:09 PM   #12
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Tyranitar

Quote:
Yes I'm defending him, because I know what it's like to "know something," have no reason to disbelieve it, and then find out, After The Fact, that what you knew to be true, wasn't true.
I don't think you do, um.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:19 PM   #13
unownmew
Banned

Quote:
I don't think you do, um.
Well, you don't have to think so, or believe me. Your personal Seal of Approval means nothing to me anyway. I know I know the feeling, and that's what matters. His feeling though is likely to be a lot more intense than mine, as I wasn't risking my career on what I said.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:56 PM   #14
deoxys
Fog Badge

edit: stupid argument.

Last edited by deoxys; 08-22-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:46 PM   #15
Slash
Silver LO

Send a message via Yahoo to Slash Send a message via Skype™ to Slash
Quote:
Must not fall for the bait. It would be too easy.

Well I myself may not be a survivor, but I do have people close to me who are survivors, and a politician really needs to do the research before saying anything about something as powerfully traumatic as rape. Few things will spark true hate in me; this was one.
KAIRNE I WILL RIP OFF YOUR SCROTUM AND FEED IT TO YOU THROUGH A FUCKING SWIRLY STRAW.

Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:29 PM   #16
unownmew
Banned

I'll not disagree with you there, but Politicians, for all the grandeur surrounding them, are people just as well as me and you, and people are subject to mistakes. What matters is how honest and penitent they are, and how they make up for them when they occur.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:44 PM   #17
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
Their opinions are appalling, but it will eventually have good consequences. As more and more women realize that the Republican party doesn't give half a shit about them they'll vote more and more democratic - which will hopefully lead to a split of the Republican party into the fiscal conservatives and the Christian conservatives- which could eventually lead to a government that doesn't try to make laws based on the old testament.

The women who would be incensed over that kind of comment - young women who are sexually promiscuous, and emotionally fickle - are probably going to not support this guy anyway, and all this does is stir up a media hornet's nest. But I highly doubt it would do anything to party cohesion at all.

Surprisingly, the Republican Party is the stronger party in the US strictly because it is less heterogenous than the Democratic Party. The more like minded, the less likely individuals are going to disagree on issues and the more likely they can maintain cohesion and pass legislation. In terms of volume of policy, Bush was a lot more successful at passing stuff he wanted than Obama.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:46 PM   #18
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
In terms of volume of policy, Bush was a lot more successful at passing stuff he wanted than Obama.
That's because Bush had a Republican majority in the house/senate for six of his eight years- and that's why the country is fucked up, even to this day.
Old 08-23-2012, 12:14 AM   #19
Doppleganger
我が名は勇者王!

Send a message via AIM to Doppleganger
Quote:
That's because Bush had a Republican majority in the house/senate for six of his eight years- and that's why the country is fucked up, even to this day.
Yes...but my point is even with a Democratic majority, Obama isn't nearly as productive because the Democrats are far too diverse. It's more like the "anti-Republican" party than a brand that has true core tenants and a strict ideology.
あきらめない 心かさね
永遠を抱きしめて
Doppleganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:28 AM   #20
Muyotwo
Dominator of Bike Levels

The big problem for Obama was Kennedy dying so early in his first term and making the senate a lot harder for him to push his bills through, thanks to Republicans hurling feces rather than attempt bilateral compromise.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:42 AM   #21
Mercutio
Banned

Quote:
Not strictly true. In terms of the actual job of beig president, Bush Jr was far more effective than Obama can hope to be even if he gets both majorities. He understood it much more clearly.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:57 AM   #22
unownmew
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Yes...but my point is even with a Democratic majority, Obama isn't nearly as productive because the Democrats are far too diverse. It's more like the "anti-Republican" party than a brand that has true core tenants and a strict ideology.
That is sorta true. Democrats are anti-Republican, not "pro" anything. They're anti-republican though, because they can't get any of the things they want to accomplish without utterly destroying us. They help each other because they see Republicans as a common enemy, but once they get past us, they'll fight amongst themselves- Destroying the Country along the way.

Quote:
Wrong. I'm pretty sure I can show how it was Democrats that wanted all the legislation that caused the major problems with the economy, and for the most part, Republicans have been trying to reform their crap so it actually works and doesn't fall apart, since Reagan.

Note Ryan's Plan: He wants to reform Medicare because IT CAN'T BE SUSTAINED any longer in the form it is in, it WILL go bankrupt. But, what are the Democrats doing? Trying to keep it the same, while hooting and howling about how Ryan's Plan is going to make Seniors' Lives miserable even to the point of killing them. Not a Single One of them is offering an alternative. One would think their goal is to keep it in the exact same mess it's in, since they're not doing anything about the obvious fiscal cliff looming in front of it.

Quote:
The big problem for Obama was Kennedy dying so early in his first term and making the senate a lot harder for him to push his bills through, thanks to Republicans hurling feces rather than attempt bilateral compromise.
As if Obama wanted Bilateral Compromise. He only wants Republicans to sign on to his plans so he has someone to blame (other than himself and other democrats) when they inevitably go sour. It's PURE POLITICAL POLITICS. If he was serious about getting stuff done, he would have done it while he Controlled both houses of Congress, and would push for his bills to go forward without Republican votes. Fortunately, he waited too long, and America said "ENOUGH" by replacing the Democrat Majority in the House with Conservative Republicans. America wants this dead-lock, or it would not have allowed Republicans to gain the Majority of the House in the mid-term elections.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:30 AM   #23
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Tyranitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercutio View Post
Not strictly true. In terms of the actual job of beig president, Bush Jr was far more effective than Obama can hope to be even if he gets both majorities. He understood it much more clearly.
Really? Because I think somewhat cleaning up the healthcare mess is more effective than mucking up the education system, starting a useless war, and threatening civil liberties by enacting the Patriot Act.

Don't get me wrong, Obama's not a great President, but he's definitely better than Bush.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:45 AM   #24
Talon87
時の彼方へ

effective =/= beneficial

Merkush could very well agree that Obama is a more desirable man to have sitting in the Oval Office but that doesn't mean he necessarily believes he's a more effective politician. I think it's hard to argue the facts that Bush managed to get most of what he wanted. "Give me a war in Afghanistan." Done. "Give me a war in Iraq." Done. "Give me the Patriot Act." Done. "Give me No Child Left Behind." Done. "Give me tax breaks." Done. "Give me a federal ban on embryonic stem cell research." Done. I'm sure both men have gotten a similar volume of stuff passed that doesn't catch the public's attention, but when it comes down strictly to those issues which the media reports on with zeal and which the public debates fervently, Bush got his way far more often than Obama did. Muyo is saying that that's because of the situation on Capitol Hill. Kush is saying it's because Obama doesn't know how to play the politics game as well as W. Bush did.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 01:01 PM   #25
unownmew
Banned

Quote:
Really? Because I think somewhat cleaning up the healthcare mess is more effective than mucking up the education system, starting a useless war, and threatening civil liberties by enacting the Patriot Act.

Don't get me wrong, Obama's not a great President, but he's definitely better than Bush.
You have CLEARLY not read a single portion of the "Affordable Care Act" if you think Obama's "Cleared up the Healthcare Problem."
Or your a person who supports Government Monopolies and Infringement of Civil Liberties.

Which is it?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Debate