UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 09-24-2012, 08:32 AM   #26
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Send a message via AIM to Tyranidos Send a message via MSN to Tyranidos
Might be because preorders are already pretty much sold out. Those could be peeps looking to get a profit out of it.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:38 AM   #27
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Send a message via Skype™ to Concept
That hadn't occurred to me. Probably true.
Concept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:44 AM   #28
kaisap112
Volcano Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
UK prices; £249 (~$400) for the basic version, £299 (~$485) for the better version.

For the US, Amazon.com is listing the basic version at $489 dollars, and it's listing the 32GB version at $600. Which um, seems ridiculous.
Judging from the comments at Amazon there's people who buy the thing, then wait for when the consoles run out near Christmas (from my knowledge Nintendo's not producing tons and tons right off the bat) and rip off the "desperate" ones. This is why you'll find the same and even more ridiculous prices at eBay.

People, just...buy the console from a game store. Unless the system here is different and general stores don't try to rip you off over video games and consoles in other countries.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:49 AM   #29
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Honestly browsing around at the moment, for the UK Amazon is the cheapest (by like £10 over GAME and so on).

Bloody nintendo letting UK retailers decide their own prices :p. We don't have any competition between game stores in this country - HMV are always horrifically overpriced so it's GAME or go home. No wonder we're paying the equivilant of $100+ more (depending on version).

Last edited by Concept; 09-24-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:56 AM   #30
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
UK prices; £249 (~$400) for the basic version, £299 (~$485) for the better version.

For the US, Amazon.com is listing the basic version at $489 dollars, and it's listing the 32GB version at $600. Which um, seems ridiculous.
Not sure if Amazon.co.uk works the same way or not (probably does) but there's a difference between an official Amazon price and an Amazon vendor price. That link you posted provides no official Amazon.com price whatsoever. All it claims is that we have 19 Amazon vendors offering to sell this item and the best price for the item in New condition is over $400. That's all well and good but what it means is Amazon doesn't have the item in inventory yet and thus hasn't bothered setting their own Amazon price for it.

Regardless of demand for the item, I'm pretty sure all corporate vendors (Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Amazon, etc) are legally bound to sell the item no higher than the MSRP established between them and Nintendo. So if that MSRP is $300 or $350 according to deoxys, then that's what Amazon has to sell it at, regardless of how much money they'd stand to make if they could sell the goods to the highest bidders. These same limitations do not apply to Amazon vendors! So you'll have plenty of mom and pop vendors on that item page who will be successfully selling the item in November and December for well over its MSRP. But Amazon will pretty much have to sell it at $300/$350 until they run out of stock.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:59 AM   #31
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon87 View Post
Not sure if Amazon.co.uk works the same way or not (probably does) but there's a difference between an official Amazon price and an Amazon vendor price. That link you posted provides no official Amazon.com price whatsoever. All it claims is that we have 19 Amazon vendors offering to sell this item and the best price for the item in New condition is over $400. That's all well and good but what it means is Amazon doesn't have the item in inventory yet and thus hasn't bothered setting their own Amazon price for it.

Regardless of demand for the item, I'm pretty sure all corporate vendors (Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Amazon, etc) are legally bound to sell the item no higher than the MSRP established between them and Nintendo. So if that MSRP is $300 or $350 according to deoxys, then that's what Amazon has to sell it at, regardless of how much money they'd stand to make if they could sell the goods to the highest bidders. These same limitations do not apply to Amazon vendors! So you'll have plenty of mom and pop vendors on that item page who will be successfully selling the item in November and December for well over its MSRP. But Amazon will pretty much have to sell it at $300/$350 until they run out of stock.
This is pretty much what I got from Tdos post, only less succinct :p. I originally didn't notice it was Amazon vender prices and not Amazon prices (as Amazon UK have their own price up already despite us getting it like two weeks later).

But yeah, Nintendo haven't set a price in the UK which I guess explains us paying $100+ dollars more.

Last edited by Concept; 09-24-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:02 AM   #32
Talon87
時の彼方へ

What I wanted to make sure you understood was that pre-orders or not there is a difference between an Amazon.com price and an Amazon.com "you can buy from these Amazon vendors " price for any given item listed on Amazon.com. You failed to understand that fact (clearly, or you'd never have written what you wrote to begin with) and I didn't think Tdos' post made that distinction quite clear enough. So there you go. Take it or leave it, just wanted to help inform you for your own edification.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:04 AM   #33
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Quote:
What I wanted to make sure you understood was that pre-orders or not there is a difference between an Amazon.com price and an Amazon.com "you can buy from these Amazon vendors " price for any given item listed on Amazon.com. You failed to understand that fact (clearly, or you'd never have written what you wrote to begin with) and I didn't think Tdos' post made that distinction quite clear enough. So there you go. Take it or leave it, just wanted to help inform you for your own edification.
No I did understand there's a difference between Amazon vendor prices and Amazon prices (having sold stuff through Amazon before :p). My stupidity came in not realising that while Amazon.co.uk has its own price up, Amazon.com does not (which I find weird given Amazon.com will be selling it like two weeks earlier but oh well).

EDIT the first: >GAME company suffering financially
>Opt to put Wii U £10 more than anyone else

Lols were had. This is the first time I've seen them be more expensive than HMV. $100+ dollars more than the US and it's confirmed to be region locked. Ugh. Even if I'd been vaguely considering getting it before, I think this (combined with the 3DS and its game library being a pile of wank) has firmly locked me out of the Nintendo market this generation, or at least for some years.

Last edited by Concept; 09-24-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:16 AM   #34
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

There's a similar situation in the US, as far as I'm aware (Gamestop or try to find a decent deal online). It's not a big deal for me, as I was going to wait a while (as I usually do) to get it for potential price drops/good games/how it stacks up compared to PS4 and Xbox 720.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:23 AM   #35
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Same. Wanted to get a Wii pretty soon and got mine the day I first saw one in stores with my own two eyes (circa Thanksgiving 2007, one year after launch) but couldn't be arsed to want the Wii U any sooner than one year after launch even were it more heavily in demand than the Wii. I'm just not in a rush to own one. Any launch titles will be just as fun in 2014 as they are in 2012 or 2013 and I've still got a frankly enormous backlog of games I either (a) do not yet own and would like to play for the first time or (b) already own and would like to replay, with category B actually being the real driving factor for me this console cycle.

Honestly, I think the high prices we're seeing with the Amazon vendors display nothing more than some pretty blind avarice. Mom & Pop Scalper have bought into the notion that if the Wii was "IT PRINTS MONEY! XFD" then the Wii U must be twice as profitable. So here they are, eagerly awaiting their paychecks for $489 per unit wheeeeeeeeeeen ... they're never going to see a dime above MSRP. I mean, maybe a handful of them will? But I really don't think this is going to be the case of mass hysteria with the casuals or mass hysteria with the hardcores that the Wii was in 2006. Hardcores are jaded and will sit out a year easily while casuals don't buy into the whole "must get a new Nintendo every five years" console life cycle rhetoric that Nintendo oh so wishes they would.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:23 AM   #36
Concept
Archbishop of Banterbury

Same.

Honestly I'm kind of tempted to skip out on consoles altogether this gen and replace my laptop with a good gaming pc when it needs replacing in a couple of years. We'll see how ridiculously overpriced Sony and Microsofts offerings are/how good the PS4 exclusives are. Otherwise I'm probably more likely to go Sony than Microsoft this time round, if only to get a chance to play the PS3 exclusives I missed out on by getting a 360.

Or I could be retro for the rest of my life - buy myself a PS3 when the PS4 comes out and just live a gen behind from now on :p.

Last edited by Concept; 09-24-2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:32 AM   #37
Tyranidos
beebooboobopbooboobop

Tyranitar

Quote:
Same.

Honestly I'm kind of tempted to skip out on consoles altogether this gen and replace my laptop with a good gaming pc when it needs replacing in a couple of years. We'll see how ridiculously overpriced Sony and Microsofts offerings are/how good the PS4 exclusives are. Otherwise I'm probably more likely to go Sony than Microsoft this time round, if only to get a chance to play the PS3 exclusives I missed out on by getting a 360.

Or I could be retro for the rest of my life - buy myself a PS3 when the PS4 comes out and just live a gen behind from now on :p.
I've also been thinking about switching to PC, considering my growing Steam library and my current lack of computing power to play half of the games in it, but I figure it's good to have a console around as a number of good games are either a) console exclusive or b) bad PC ports of solid games originally on consoles (like Dark Souls for instance). Obviously, it also depends on how much money I have and stuff too, so being patient is probably the best way to go at the moment.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:28 PM   #38
DaveTheFishGuy
Primordial Fishbeast

Send a message via Skype™ to DaveTheFishGuy
GAME in being horribly overpriced shocker.
DaveTheFishGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:15 PM   #39
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Quote:
Lindz: B-but ... Sonic ... ;_;
Talon: ^^; , sorry Lindsay. I like Sonic too but that Sonic racing game is totally for the casuals.
Lindz: And for hardcore Sonic fangirls like me! ;_;
Talon: ^^; ... I'm sorry Lindsay, but it stays.
Lindz: Noooo ... ;_;
???

I dun get this example since I'm not a Sonic-bot and all mascot mashup games are supposed ta be casual.

Also I read that Rayman Legends is only half a Rayman game allegedly lol. Devs rushing to throw in gimmick screen stuff reeks of the early days of the DS which could be good and bad. Some good stuff came outta that but so did alot of crap. An by the end of the DS's life we were getting regular old games with limited use of the touch/second screen. Wonder if history'll repeat itself?
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:47 PM   #40
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Didn't feel like creating a new thread for this but I did want to share: Penny Arcade's Ben Kuchera reports in with a first look at Wii U Deluxe hardware. He promises to give some impressions on two of the launch titles in the next few days, provided Reggie doesn't C&D him first. ^^;
Old 11-07-2012, 10:14 PM   #41
deoxys
Fog Badge

It looks very slick and nice, I oddly even had a dream last night about putting one on reserve (at a hardware store, haha). I'd love to get it and would if I could and it wouldn't be an irresponsible thing to do, but I can't justify it right now and there are very few launch titles that appeal to me.

I'll be looking at the reviews in the on coming days to see if it's all that it's cracked up to be.
deoxys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 11:01 PM   #42
phoopes
Double Dragon

I'm hoping to be getting this eventually, as I'm pretty excited for the system. Heck, I'm even happy with the launch titles, something that not many people were too pleased with, IIRC. However, there was one thing that stuck out that disappointed me ever so slightly, it being about the Game Pad.

"The controller is estimated to run around 3 to 5 hours on a single charge, and it takes 2.5 hours or so to charge it completely."

Seems a little skimpy on the battery life to me. I don't really mind the 2.5 hours recharge time, as that's something that can be done overnight or whatever. However, only 3 to 5 hours of normal battery life just doesn't seem like enough to me. There are definitely times when I'll be at home playing for 3 hours or more in a day. Not many, but they do exist. And because of where my power outlets are located, I'd have to stop playing with the Game Pad just so I can charge the darn thing. I was honestly hoping for a few more hours of battery life on it, like 5 hours minimum instead of 5 hours maximum.

Though it may seem like it's a big deal, it's really just a minor inconvenience to me, actually. Pretty much everything else looks great on the system (though lol at MONDO POWER BRICK) and I'm looking forward to hopefully getting one in the near future, maybe around Christmas time.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:08 PM   #43
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Mondo power bricks are a Nintendo family tradition.

And I think the idea with the Wii U's tablet controller is going to be that you sit on a bed or couch situated close by to a wall outlet and you have your controller directly plugged into the wall. This isn't really a problem for me in the bedroom since this is exactly how I play DS games: with my DS plugged into a power adapter near my nightstand. But that's just it: I don't play console games in the bedroom. I play them in the living room, with my television. And if that power adapter's cable (specifically the segment in between the mondo power brick portion and the bit that plugs into the controller) is too short, well, then that could be a problem.

So long as there aren't any legal issues to worry about, I expect third-party power adapters will be released. Longer cables, smaller (or absent) bricks, and so on. But until then, yeah, it looks like you may only be gaming for 3 hours at a time. Perfectly adequate during the workweek but on Christmas Day when you're wanting to game from morning until night it could prove problematic. I imagine it will prove problematic. ^^;
Old 11-08-2012, 07:32 PM   #44
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

I actually ran into a Nintendo rep the other day at Future Shop and asked him about the Wii U.

Very, very tempted to call my family and tell them to drop everything and get the deluxe version for christmas. For me, however... That kind of pricing is an impossibility for me right now, especially since I've been eyeing that PS3 and its shiny anime-graphics games.
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppleganger View Post
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Kindrindra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 11:15 PM   #45
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Earlier tonight I saw this abominable commercial on television:

BORKED

Good God, Nintendo and the others sure can't make a good commercial, can they? It's always been this way. These companies are fucking lucky their systems practically sell themselves because Heaven help them if they ever need to rely upon television advertisements to stay afloat.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:33 PM   #46
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

No one ever wants to go into video game marketing. D:
People should watch what they enjoy regardless of what others think, even if it's a terribad guilty pleasure.
Quote:
Though, I also dislike the concept of lamenting the current day while wishing to re-experience the past. At least, my modern attitude is to try and make each new day magical even if it's not, since exclusively reminiscing about the past is too pathetic.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:18 AM   #47
phoopes
Double Dragon

I saw that same ad tonight as well. Honestly, I don't think it would be too bad if the music wasn't so darn awful.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:18 AM   #48
deoxys
Fog Badge

Painfully obvious Nintendo needs a Kevin Butler or should simply take kids out of their commercials as the primary focus as well as the casual crowd. Jesus, that shit appeals to no one.

I can forgive them though, they used a song by Glitch Mob in their UK commercial for Wii U.

MAL - Fizzy Bubbles - Twitter

Old 11-15-2012, 05:24 PM   #49
deoxys
Fog Badge

Quote:
Didn't feel like creating a new thread for this but I did want to share: Penny Arcade's Ben Kuchera reports in with a first look at Wii U Deluxe hardware. He promises to give some impressions on two of the launch titles in the next few days, provided Reggie doesn't C&D him first. ^^;
An update to this - here are his final thoughts on the Wii U.

I'm reading it now, but four paragraphs in and it sounds like he loves it. I don't know, I'm tempted... I'm thinking about trading in a bunch of stuff I never touch anymore anyway, so I maybe I could use them towards that, I dunno.
Old 11-15-2012, 06:13 PM   #50
Kindrindra
大事なのは自分らしいくある事

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoxys View Post
Painfully obvious Nintendo needs a Kevin Butler or should simply take kids out of their commercials as the primary focus as well as the casual crowd. Jesus, that shit appeals to no one.

I can forgive them though, they used a song by Glitch Mob in their UK commercial for Wii U.
That's just not true- the casual crowd are actually a very large group. But since they're, well, casual, they're one of those 'silent majority'-type deals.

To be fair, though, Nintendo's games are exactly casual-gamer optimized. :/
Quote:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games