UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 07-15-2007, 08:39 PM   #1
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

My time with PS3!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xuande
Don't spare on your personal opinions of the PS3's operating system. (How often you had to put up with it, how much it was or was not a chore, how few or how many cool things it can do, etc.) When the console got released, I heard a lot of negative reviews about the system's software, but those were (a) mostly from tech junkies and (b) only at Christmastime. The complaints have all but vanished from the places I frequent, so I'm really curious to see if SCE got on the ball and patched up the bugs in no time flat.

Well, I'll be happy to read your thread regardless, since all I've heard is negative reviews about the machine but good reviews about the games.
Well I wasn't actually gonna make a thread but okay. I still got the system until tommorow afternoon so like what did ya wanna know? It's fully updated to the current firmware and stuff so I dunno how it was like prior to this.

It may have been for a short, borrowed amount of time but the new tv I got a few months back was finally put to good use!

PS3 Games/Demos played:

Virtua Fighter 5: Soooooooo hot. 360 owners were in for a real treat even before the online announcement for it was made! My Jacky looks better then ever and of course so do all the rest. Its still a hard game and as always I am totally unskilled but have fun anyways.

Motorstorm: I always stink at racing games. In this game I seem to do better with the bikes then the trucks but its painful to see your guy get knocked around all over the place! But some of the "death" animations are pretty funny.

Gran Turismo HD: Its like GT4 but much much more lovely, somehow! I unlocked most of the cars so far. Cool to finally see people driving the cars and the roadside people are much much better looking and moving then before.

Super Rub-a-dub (demo): One part Monkey Ball and one part Flicky = this game. Control the stage with the motion controls and collect the lil duckies and lead them to the exit safely. It's really cute!

Dynasty Warriors: Gundam (demo): Soooo cool seeing so many Gundams and pilots from the many series I've seen (and some I haven't!). Smart move making the demo have players be Heero Yuy since Wing was like the most popular series in the US. Pretty lol plot from what I saw. Unfortunately I don't have the hack 'n slash wearwithall to stand a game like this for very long. I got pretty far in the demo mission but eventually one of my ally's died and the mission failed and the thought of going through all that again was x_x;

I didn't try many PS/PS2 games out but with the blurring and upscaling the PS2 games looked less jaggy and brighter while I guess the PS games well look about the same? I dunno.

The XMB is a pretty neat interface. Left & Right ~ Up & Down easy smooth scrolling through your stuffs. Its odd that you can't password protect user accounts why let you make multiple users then? Plus aside from PS3 gamesaves (PS/PS2 seem ta be shared as well) everything from pictures to music to downloads are accessible by any user. Kinda strange. CD ripping goes much faster then it did on my old Xbox prolly cause the faster drive? Much quieter to. The system is pretty much silent. Though the heat blowing out the vents right next to me in 90 degree weather is kinda bothersome. x_X

The internet browser is alright. Much better then the old Dreamcast ones but you can't copy & paste that I can figure out! Every page that has plug-ins you have to confirm if its okay or not which is kinda lame. The PSN Store is alright but lacks in the area of demos and old PS games (guess they're pulling a Nintendo and drip-feeding roms). If it were my system/account I'd prolly consider buying Jumping Flash and Rampage World Tour. $5 - $6 isn't to bad.

Did I miss anything?
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 09:10 PM   #2
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Re: My time with PS3!

Not really. And I remembered the name (without ever having to look it up ... lazy me ), it was Resistance. Duh. But yeah, didn't see that on your list. Wouldn't be on mine, either. It looked like just another Half-Life clone.

So! VF5 was good. Cool, but not surprising. ^_^;

"Dynasty Warriors" Gundam? O_o What aspect if any was actually Dynasty Warriors-based? "Zhuge Liang launches ... TIGER GUNDAM ATTACK! Oh no, the plains are lost! Retreat, Wei forces! Retreat!" Having never touched Gundam, I have no idea who Heero Yuy and such are, but "Dynasty Warriors" caught my attention and I was further surprised to see no mention of that property in your game review. Sounds like they just snagged the name and it has no Koei involvement at all?

So the pitch and maw and yaw and (etc.) is all good with the controller. Cool. Unlike most Sony fanboys who were crying over the 6-axis replacing rumble, I think it was an upgrade. Rumble is fun but sort of unnecessary. The built-in gyroscope, now that's something. Is it really jumpy and stuff? Or is it respectably close to the Wiimote?

So it's quiet but hot. Well, I'd take that combo any day over the reverse. But I wonder what the heat will end up doing to the life expectancy of the unit.

What price point would you consider getting the 60 GB model at? I'm unrealistically leaning towards $299, but I don't think we'll see that for like 2+ years.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 09:42 PM   #3
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Quote:
"Dynasty Warriors" Gundam? O_o What aspect if any was actually Dynasty Warriors-based? "Zhuge Liang launches ... TIGER GUNDAM ATTACK! Oh no, the plains are lost! Retreat, Wei forces! Retreat!" Having never touched Gundam, I have no idea who Heero Yuy and such are, but "Dynasty Warriors" caught my attention and I was further surprised to see no mention of that property in your game review. Sounds like they just snagged the name and it has no Koei involvement at all?
Pretty sure it was made by Koei. Having never touched a Dynasty Warriors before those things you said about territory lost/gained sounds like what I played. Smash your way through lots and lots of baddies then slightly tougher mini-boss ones come then actual boss type ones which in this are oddly portrayed by bad AND good guys from the multiple Gundam universes. So weird~

Quote:
So the pitch and maw and yaw and (etc.) is all good with the controller. Cool. Unlike most Sony fanboys who were crying over the 6-axis replacing rumble, I think it was an upgrade. Rumble is fun but sort of unnecessary. The built-in gyroscope, now that's something. Is it really jumpy and stuff? Or is it respectably close to the Wiimote?
I dunno I only used it for that one game and only for the five demo courses. Never used a Revolution Controller so I can't compare. Can't say I really care for motion controls in general aside from in Wario Ware Twisted which was fun.

Quote:
So it's quiet but hot. Well, I'd take that combo any day over the reverse. But I wonder what the heat will end up doing to the life expectancy of the unit.
The system itself doesn't really get that warmed up it's just blowing out the hot air so after ya turn it off it and feel its not baking unlike my PSTwo. Then again I don't have AC so that prolly adds to the prob this time of year. But the system is heavy! Like Xbox heavy. Sheesh!

Quote:
What price point would you consider getting the 60 GB model at? I'm unrealistically leaning towards $299, but I don't think we'll see that for like 2+ years.
$499. hm... That's what it is right now and possibly only until the 60gb's are all gone...
Old 07-15-2007, 09:50 PM   #4
Talon87
時の彼方へ

hahaha, so for you, now is the time to buy buy buy. You really shouldn't have any trouble, since it'll still take a while for the sk8terboiz to figure out that the PS3 has dropped in price by a hundred bucks and that for that old pricetag of $599 you can get ripped off to pay for an extra 20 GB of storage space. Screw that, take the 60 GB and run with it.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:09 AM   #5
Sylar
Cascade Badge

Send a message via AIM to Sylar Send a message via MSN to Sylar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindz
Motorstorm: I always stink at racing games. In this game I seem to do better with the bikes then the trucks but its painful to see your guy get knocked around all over the place! But some of the "death" animations are pretty funny.
Since Motorstorm is basically the only reason so far I might ever get a PS3, I'm gonna ignore everything else. Tis good to know that the death animations are funny, but just wondering, is it actually a good racing game? xd Cos whenever people talk about it, they always seem to not mention whether it's any good, compared to the likes of other racers.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:26 PM   #6
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Quote:
hahaha, so for you, now is the time to buy buy buy.
Yeah maybe I guess. It was only a couple of months agot hat I dropped the same amount of cash for my new tv. So I'm alil unsure if I'm ready to do that once again but the other part of me says I may as well get it over with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylar
Since Motorstorm is basically the only reason so far I might ever get a PS3, I'm gonna ignore everything else. Tis good to know that the death animations are funny, but just wondering, is it actually a good racing game? xd Cos whenever people talk about it, they always seem to not mention whether it's any good, compared to the likes of other racers.
I dunno I never was a big racing game fan. Most I've played in the last few years are various GT's and, Daytona USA, Mario Kart GBA and F-Zero GX. I found it to be pretty fun if not abit to hard for me. Guess I'm better with cars/karts then I am trucks and stuff.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games