UPNetwork  

Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games

Old 03-29-2015, 08:40 PM   #76
Talon87
時の彼方へ

(click for full size)

I haven't seen Square create a lure this powerful since Rinoa Heartilly.
Talon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:57 PM   #77
Sparkbeat
I make cryin' babies weep

I've been thinking about either picking up FF Type-0 or Bravely Default sometime this week with extra birthday money, but while I know the latter is really good, I honestly don't know too much about about Type-0. Anyone here know how it is and whether it's worth picking up over Bravely Default?
Old 06-05-2015, 10:04 AM   #78
Emi
Barghest Barghest Barghe-

Send a message via Skype™ to Emi
Since I was CHALLENGED by Jeri and felt I needed to prove my Final Fantasy prowess by going after some of the bonus bosses without Heal...

BORKED

Toughest Boss of the Earthgift Shrine, defeated!
Old 06-07-2015, 07:27 PM   #79
Emi

So I just beat FFI using just Red Mages/Wizards and it really wasn't that bad to do. I even completed the entire Whisperwind Cove dungeon. I could probably do Shinryu and Omega as well, but that would require maxing out my level, getting two more Rune Staffs from Ultros, and probably farming for Mind Plusses. A lot more work than I ever intend to do for a sword and shield I can't actually use.

So an interacting theory going around is...well this is spoilers for Final Fantasy Type-0 so don't look if you intend to get the game!
Spoiler: show
The L'Cie Gilgamesh in Type-0 is actually the same Gilgamesh that appears in several other Final Fantasy titles. This is interesting because the Interdimensional Rift that appears in FFV is often considered to be some sort of pathway between the different Final Fantasy multiverses, hence why boss monsters seem to appear in so many titles. But the one issue I have with this theory is that a L'Cie who doesn't complete its focus in a certain amount of time (as noted by the development of its L'Cie brand) will end up turning into a monstrous Cie'th. Gilgamesh isn't a monster with a body of crystal. How is that? It's possible that Exdeath was able to free him from his L'Cie bonds before the events in FFV; its worth noting that the Goddess Etro did that in FFXIII. I dunno, it seems a bit far-fetched to me but I should play Type-0 before I make more further judgments.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:08 PM   #80
Emi

So, I'm kind of surprised I haven't heard anyone discussing about Final Fantasy XV yet. Does anyone have any opinions on it? Am I just talking to myself?
Old 06-15-2015, 03:44 AM   #81
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

So apparently this is happening
Old 06-15-2015, 04:27 AM   #82
dirkac
uhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikaGod View Post
Ewwwww FFVII

But whatever, it deserves to finally get a remake. *hopes IX is next*
dirkac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 04:36 AM   #83
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikaGod View Post
A,

B, about time.

C, this is going to sell sooooo many PS4s. Or at least I imagine that that's the hope.
Old 06-15-2015, 04:38 AM   #84
Emi

So FFVII is in the Playstation Store, its getting a port to the PS4, and now its getting a separate remake? I'm pretty skeptical to be honest.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:02 AM   #85
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
So FFVII is in the Playstation Store, its getting a port to the PS4, and now its getting a separate remake? I'm pretty skeptical to be honest.
I'm not a regular reader of Silicon Era, but they've always struck me as the gaming equivalent of an Ars Technica or Veekun. (And I realize Ars Technica has its own games journalism division too!) They seem like sort of this quasi-indie start-up that has been trying for the past half-decade to get their foot in the established games journalism door through a combination of honest, no-bullshit journalism and a stubborn refusal to give up despite smaller traffic than what sites like Polygon or even Kotaku and 1Up continue to receive. Given all this, I'd be inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt when they report that they have breaking news and/or inside information about a FF7 remake with modern graphics for the PS4.

All this stated, sure, true: we're in the early hours of this story breaking and no one else is reporting on it yet. We'll just have to wait and see whether jilted games journalists elsewhere soon report that they followed up on Silicon Era's story with phone calls to Square-Enix headquarters and received confirmation of the title's existence or not.

Get hyped!
Old 06-15-2015, 05:11 AM   #86
Emi

I don't really know Silicon Valley so I can't really speak there. For all I know, they could be an extremely reliable and honest site. My issue is: the timing of it. They announced Final Fantasy VII is getting a port, and well all know what that means for Final Fantasy games: Some graphical touch-ups, bug fixes, and often more post-game content. Why would you release a port and a remake though? That's a pretty phenomenal waste of resources. It's not like the game isn't already readily acceptable, I even want to say its around $10 on the Playstation store? But you aren't going to sell the port at all. When you announce a remake, the only people who are going to buy the port are the really impatient people...who probably already have the game on their PS3s and PS4s. That would be a downright awful marketing move on their part.

Granted given that they can't market terribly well anymore I wouldn't be surprised.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:15 AM   #87
Raves
a quick fly cuppa

Location: Life and love make fools of us all. Gods reject the existence of love and life.
Send a message via Skype™ to Raves
Yeah, I'll let Word of God come first rather than something that can be fairly easily hoaxed. FF7 isn't even that great a game.

Unruly Premonition.
Raves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 05:27 AM   #88
Talon87
時の彼方へ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emi View Post
I don't really know Silicon Valley so I can't really speak there. For all I know, they could be an extremely reliable and honest site. My issue is: the timing of it. They announced Final Fantasy VII is getting a port, and well all know what that means for Final Fantasy games: Some graphical touch-ups, bug fixes, and often more post-game content. Why would you release a port and a remake though? That's a pretty phenomenal waste of resources. It's not like the game isn't already readily acceptable, I even want to say its around $10 on the Playstation store? But you aren't going to sell the port at all. When you announce a remake, the only people who are going to buy the port are the really impatient people...who probably already have the game on their PS3s and PS4s. That would be a downright awful marketing move on their part.

Granted given that they can't market terribly well anymore I wouldn't be surprised.
I can answer that based on IRL: not everyone wants a PS4-ified FF7.

One of my friends in town, he's a pretty big fan of Final Fantasy VII. He's quiet about it, he's not one of the usual stark-raving mad "FF7 IS GOD AND NO ONE CAN PROVE ME WRONG! " types you find online, but FF7 was for him the definitive game of his middle school years and he cherishes it to this day. He still has his childhood copy with him in near perfect condition. He plays it once annually. He enjoys many of the aspects about it you usually hear people gush about -- the story, the characters, the gameplay, and of course the nostalgia.

But that's just it: the nostalgia. You see, my friend has clarified to me on multiple occasions --he does not want Squeenix to touch FF7. What he does want is for them to port it to modern systems. Maybe give it some minor touch-ups here or there. But like ...
  • I know for a fact that he has maintained that the characters MUST NOT BE GIVEN VOICES
  • and I'm like 70% certain -- I know, that's pretty crappy -- that he has said he wants them to keep the balls-on-sticks hands-on-arms FMVs intact as well, rather than replacing them with Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children-grade movie files
He's so adamant about the voices thing that I know he would either a) abstain from purchasing FF7 HD or else b) would buy it just as a collector but would never bother opening it from its packaging, having zero interest to play a game which "ruins [his] childhood" with voice acting that clashes with how he feels the characters sounded and behaved.

So yeah. I can easily see a PS4 graphical overhaul released alongside a PS4 e-port of the PS1 game making sense. Because I know what Squeenix would be trying to do here: pleasing everybody, and silencing every hater as best as possible.
  • "You want an HD remake of the game? Fine! Here's your HD remake!"
  • "You want a slightly touched-up port of the PS1 game? Fine! Here's your slightly touched-up port of the PS1 game!"
  • "You want to play the original PS1 game forever and ever? Fine! You can keep your PS1 original!"
I'm not really a big FF7 fanboy, although when the topic of FFs comes up I do rank VII amongst my Top 3 FFs of All Time That I Have Played. For me, though, the choice is clear: PS4-grafix remake, please. For my friend in town? It's gotta be the second one. He wants a new generation of gamers to be able to experience the game as he did without having to resort to piracy or taking gambles on the used/resale market. He also would like the convenience of a legit digital download of the game but one which doesn't compromise his ability to enjoy the experience, to relive the experience of his childhood.
Old 06-15-2015, 05:39 AM   #89
Emi

Quote:
He also would like the convenience of a legit digital download of the game but one which doesn't compromise his ability to enjoy the experience, to relive the experience of his childhood.
Have you pointed out to him that he can buy the original game as a digital download legit? Just like how Nintendo's EShop has older games like Mother, the Playstation version also has older games, and I know FFVII is on that list. That's my issue: ports aren't tried and true copies of the game. They change things. Bugs get fixed that people uses back when the game, a notable one coming to mind is the Vanish - Banish/Doom glitch in FFVI which got corrected. They add extra content (and they have: I, II, IV, V, and VI all have extra content to them, some of which like the Gladiator Job in V changed the game). I also wouldn't count on them leaving the ball and stick figures alone. They made fully animated FMVs for the Playstation releases of the older games despite them not having the ability to do so on the SNES.

It really all depends on how much is too much for not only your friend but the fans. But again, they can just buy the original, a port was relatively weird in the first place.
Old 06-15-2015, 06:00 AM   #90
Raves
a quick fly cuppa

Location: Life and love make fools of us all. Gods reject the existence of love and life.
Send a message via Skype™ to Raves
One other problem with a HD remake is storyline. FF7's story was, for want of a better word, decent. The main thing of the story everyone remembers and knows is, of course, Aeris/th's death, being one of the biggest whams back in its day. With the voice the girl's got, I feel when the time comes for her impromptu chiropracty we won't be shedding tears but rather saying "Thank fuck she shut up."

Unruly Premonition.
Raves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 06:05 AM   #91
dirkac
uhhhhh

Having read Silicon for a while, I can safely say that if they say that there'll be an FFVII Remake there will be an FFVII Remake.

Outside of April Fools stuff or vaporware like GiFTPIA almost everything they post came out to be true.
dirkac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 06:11 AM   #92
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by seakittenyfool View Post
With the voice the girl's got, I feel when the time comes for her impromptu chiropracty we won't be shedding tears but rather saying "Thank fuck she shut up."
This would be my biggest concern. The Final Fantasy games haven't exactly had the best track record with voice acting, and after Final Fantasy XIII's atrocious voice direction, I don't have the highest of hopes.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:52 AM   #93
Kuvario
Mysterious Knight

I'd still take all this with a grain of salt, nothing's been announced from Square and I'm not believing it until then. And besides, FFXV still has no release window and is technically still in development, not to mention KHIII as well. Those two are probably their biggest priorities.

Then again I'm probably wrong, so.
Kuvario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 08:55 PM   #94
Kuvario
Mysterious Knight

Indeed I am wrong! FFVII's remake for PS4 is real. But the annoucement said that you can play it first on PS4, so an Xbox One version or a PC version is probably happeneding as well.
Kuvario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:04 PM   #95
Deebs
You sayin' I like dudes?

Send a message via Skype™ to Deebs
Damn I need a PS4.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:06 PM   #96
Lindz
Kuno's Wife

Give remake now to me!!

*goes back to grinding away in the original*
Lindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 09:08 PM   #97
Emi

IN OTHER NEWS

I may actually be more excited for Chibi FF than FF7 this looks bloody adorable
Old 06-15-2015, 09:13 PM   #98
Deebs
You sayin' I like dudes?

Send a message via Skype™ to Deebs
Chibi FF looked out of place and awkward, hopefully it's more interesting than it is at first glance. Felt especially troll-y since it was almost like they were baiting a KH3 trailer. Actually felt the same way initially with the FF7 remake announcement, but hey it's fucking FF7 so that's alright.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:15 PM   #99
Emi

I saw riding monsters can you imagine riding a Behemoth or an Iron Giant? The MCs don't seem awesome at first glance (ummmm does anyone else notice the male's outfit looks suspiciously like the dress I'm wearing in Daisy's commission for me?) but I am looking forward to this.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:41 PM   #100
PikaGod
Marsh Badge

I need Chibi FF, I need it right here and right now.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   UPNetwork > General Forums > Video Games